• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT Comic Book Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
Warning: This is a long-ass post. But if you're going to respond please at least like skim it or something.

First of all, here’s the official thread theme (Marvel pls get your shit together and get a theme this memorable for your movies, even Fox has something for X-Men!)

Also here's the movie's official poster. Which I really love even though it probably isn't that great.
fVcWy0m.jpg

After years and years of reading “best superhero movie” threads containing posts (sometimes rather long) about how “Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT superhero movie” I decided I’d finally give the first two movies a rewatch for the first time since I was around 10 years old, seeing the movie in theaters and, as far as I can recall, enjoying it a lot. But 12 years ago is a long time, and at most I could only recall a few small parts. So last night I decided to finally give Spider-Man 1 and 2 both a rewatch and make a final decision on where these movies stand in the ever increasingly long list of movies about people in silly costumes fighting other people in silly costumes. I consider myself a pretty big fan.

I’ll start with Spider-Man 1. It’s a pretty good movie. Nothing mind-blowing nowadays, but still a lot of fun. The biggest problem the movie has though is that it is most definitely dated by today’s standards. And I’m not just referring to the bad CGI (though not as terrible as I was expecting, admittedly) but the story itself. Now I know they were trying to make Peter come off as a super awkward nerd that’s hopelessly in love, but by modern standards he just comes off as a creep. There’s also some wonky writing, like a part where Norman is all like “MJ sucks” and Harry is all like “MJ doesn’t suck!” and then MJ asks Harry why he didn’t defend her, to which Harry then says that he can’t turn his back on his dad (????). Also I have no fucking clue what MJ sees in Peter. I guess it’s hinted that she knows, deep down, that he’s really Spider-Man. But it’s whatever. Also Willem Dafoe is amazing. So yeah, good movie, but nothing too ground-breaking.

But Spider-Man 2 though, damn.

Coming off Spidey 1, I wasn’t expecting much, even with the high praise this movie gets. But having finally watched for the first time in over a decade, I can safely say that it stands as one of my favorite movies of all time and handily my favorite superhero movie ever (rewatch of Nolan’s Batman pending). Seriously, I fucking love this movie, and I’m going to desperately try to turn that love into words that actually make sense to read.
The real power in this movie is in its theme of what it means to be a hero. It’s about the sacrifices you must make and the hardships you need to go through in order to do the right thing. It’s a theme that’s universal and easy to relate to. In comparison to the modern world of comic book movies, I’d say that the first half of Captain America: The First Avenger is an apt comparison. It’s about wanting to do what’s right for the right reasons, even when doing so is a struggle (it should be mentioned that that chunk of a movie is often mentioned as the best work the MCU has ever done). I’m going to pretend to be a Spider-Man expert, but the idea of massive self-sacrifice to do the right thing is largely why Spider-Man is such an immensely appealing character. Peter Parker’s life has often sucked really hard, yet he never stops being Spider-Man for long. Often you see people criticize Tobey’s portrayal of the character, or Dunsts’s portrayal of MJ, or whatever, and that I can’t really defend. But in terms of nailing what Spider-Man is really about it’s perfect.

Peter’s arc, from reaching is lowest point, to giving up being Spider-Man, to realizing that he can’t not be a hero is executed perfectly. The downward spiral is effective without ever being too depressing thanks to a large dose of humor. After he finally makes the fateful decision, the crescendo back to hero-dom feels natural and organic. From ignoring some poor dude getting mugged in an alley, to running into a burning building while power-less to save a young girl, to finally embracing Spider-Man again to save MJ and consecutively a moving train full of innocent people is done so, so well. I specifically need to mention to train scene because it’s so damn good. While filled with blatant CGI that would be lampooned today, the few fight scenes between Ock and Spidey are incredibly engaging. It’s clear that the choreographers or animators or whoever was involved knew they could be creative in the movements and actions of such flexible and agile characters, and it is a treat to watch. The train scene certainly fits that criteria, but what makes it so good is its placement in the film. It is so incredibly fitting that such a short time after returning to being a hero, Spider-Man comes so incredibly close to sacrificing himself to saving innocents. And then the following scene where the train passengers unite to help him is surprisingly moving when it could just end up being really cheesy (like the part in the first film).

In discussing the theme of being a hero, it’s impossible not to discuss Doc Ock. In a world where comic book movies are plagued by such shit villains that a fairly generic get-revenge-on-the-heroes villain like Zemo are considered “good” I think it’s easy to forget how far things have fallen. Doc Ock (portrayed fantastically by Alfred Molina) isn’t just a crazy dude that wants to destroy New York because he’s crazy, he fits succinctly in with the theme of the movie. He’s the fallen hero, the guy that tried to help the world but failed and lost everything. He’s Peter’s hero, and he gives Peter important advice he needs to succeed in life. And in the end Peter reminds him of he was, the hero he can be, and he sacrifices his life to save the city. What’s important that he isn’t even in the movie all that much. Outside of the intro and a few battle scenes, he is mostly in the background to the rest of the story. Yet somehow he’s better than most anything that’s come out since say The Dark Knight. Get your shit together CBM writers. (Also, according to Wikipedia, Raimi is basically the sole reason this didn’t become a multi-villain shitfest like other Sony Spider-Man’s, thanks Raimi).

I think another important part of the movie is the ending. Now, I’m not trying to compare the two movies in any way quality-wise because I’ll get laughed at (and I love both movies), but seriously I have to imagine that the creators were thinking of The Graduate during this final part. MJ ditches her potential new Husbando for Peter, running to his apartment in a huge wedding dress with a massive smile on her face. She shows up, they say “I love you” to each other, and Peter has to go rescue some people. Everything seems swell and great and awesome, with an honestly still impressive scene of him swinging about New York. Yet the final shot of MJ looking out a window doesn’t really look happy. Like The Graduate, it’s very much a “did I fuck up?” kind of look, and gives the film a bittersweet ending that things they have turned out well this time, but will the good times continue? (Well, Spider-Man 3 happened, so no).

If I have one issue with this move, it has to be James Franco/Harry Osborn. His motivations and actions are a little off, and Franco’s acting isn’t really that great. It also stings knowing the set-up in this film does not pay off at all in the sequel. But it isn’t that big of a deal.

So yeah, I love this movie. Spider-Man 2 is everything I want in my superhero films. I’m truly getting tired of superhero films, despite my enjoyment of comics. The DCEU is struggling, the MCU is starting to bore me, and Fox has no idea what the fuck they’re doing (though I admittedly liked Apocalypse more than most). Watching this early-era movie was an enormous breath of fresh air. It’s much more a story about Parker than it is about Spider-Man, and it feels impressively restrained in the era of big CGI explosions. The scene where Peter is telling Aunt May about Uncle Ben’s death is handily the most moved I have ever felt watching a superhero movie, and the speech Aunt May gives Peter about being a hero is legitimately powerful. It’s the kind of stuff I find lacking in all these modern comic book movie adaptations. Thanks to Raimi’s camera-work, it sometimes feels like the closest any of these movies have gotten to really capturing the feeling of reading a comic book. The GOAT-tier opening credits are probably the closest any of these movies have come to acknowledging where the source material comes from.

I’m admittedly not that excited for Homecoming and I have a hard time believing that it will reach the highs this movie does, even if Tom Holland is the most perfect Peter Parker/Spider-Man of all time. But I’ll hold out hope that it’s good, that maybe after the one million sequels they make we again get to see Spider-Man prove what being a hero is really about and the sacrifices that need to be made.

So yeah, this was really long and you might think I’m crazy for typing all this. But I really, really, really loved this movie and needed an outlet to express it. So there. Honestly there's more I could talk about, and also some stuff I'm omitting!

tl;dr: Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT comic book movie.

Prompto

Banned
Yup, fully agree with your write up. Still the best after all these years. Only Batman Begins/The Dark Knight come close.

Eidan

No, The Dark Knight is the best.

But I have to give it to you Spider-Man 2 fans, you sure do enjoy reminding us of your undying affection for the movie.

I personally couldn't stand any of the Raimi films. Far too hokey, and Maguire and Dunst were awful leads with zero chemistry.

Also, I think you're giving Doc Ock FAR too much credit. His descent from "great sensible man of science" to "bat shit insane madman willing to kill any and everyone" was in no way believable, and certainly doesn't put him in the pantheon of genres' better villains. Hell, Zemo is a far interesting character, with an actor who delivered a far more nuanced performance.

jph139

Everything seems swell and great and awesome, with an honestly still impressive scene of him swinging about New York. Yet the final shot of MJ looking out a window doesn’t really look happy. Like The Graduate, it’s very much a “did I fuck up?” kind of look, and gives the film a bittersweet ending that things they have turned out well this time, but will the good times continue? (Well, Spider-Man 3 happened, so no).

This is one of the little things that really makes the movie special. It's easy and tempting to give a crowd-pleasing, hoo-rah finish, but instead Raimi goes for a quiet, character-driven, introspective shot.

The reason a superhero movie works is on the strength of its characters - exaggerated, even caricatured reflections of our day-to-day struggles. That's what every successful comic book movie does, and it's why Spider-Man 2 is so damn good. It nails the characters. They're real, and deep, and wholly conceived, and at once relatable and admirable.

Shaanyboi

Banned
It's pretty fucking great. Don't know if it's "GOAT" but that's also a pointless argument. If nothing else though, it oozes with Raimi's authorial sensibilities, moreso than most other movies in the genre.

No. But yes, kinda.
Batman Returns is the true answer.

Still, it is an absolutely brilliant film. A well crafted blockbuster with the personality most MCU movies lack, thanks to Sam Raimi. The best Marvel film alongside X2 and Civil War.

User1608

Banned
Good op and reasons! I love it too, though it bothers me MJ leaves the dude just like that lol, but otherwise the movie is phenomenal. Always great rewatching it yearly.

His fight with Doc Ock on the train is still pretty good too, if a bit mid-2000's cgi rubbery. Nothing beats when he saves everybody on the train though. Legitimately amazing movie moment and feat of strength. Love Spider-Man!!

Shaanyboi

Banned
No. But yes, kinda.
Batman Returns it the true answer.

Still, it is an absolutely brilliant film. A well crafted blockbuster with the personality most MCU movies lack, thanks to Sam Raimi. The best Marvel film alongside X2 and Civil War.

Batman Returns is a trash fire with some nice art design.

Tansut

Spider-Man 2 in 2004, Batman Begins in 2005, and then The Dark Knight in 2008. The aughts was the GOAT decade for superhero movies.

phanphare

Banned
it's a great comic book movie but it's a pretty bad spider man movie so I'll never be able to claim it as anything other than serviceable

civil war topped it with only like 20 minutes of spider man in it

Elandyll

Banned
I love The Dark Knight, Iron Man, The Winter Soldier, Civil War, X-Men, X2, First Class, Deadpool and Avengers, but when I really think about how I feel a near perfect "super hero comic book" movie would be, I always think back of Spider-Man 2.

I don't meant to sound too hyperbolic, it's just I was seriously blown away. Has to rank up their with one of the best sequels at least. The jump from 1 to 2 is crazy. I'm seriously debating watching Spider-Man 3 again though, I'm afraid of that Back to the Future gif becoming true lol

Sephzilla

Spider-Man 2 isn't even the best Raimi Spidey movie, Spider-Man 1 is better. Spidey 2 gets too campy, in a bad way, for me and Tobey also kind of sucks as Spidey (his Peter is on point, though). Also, these movies suffer from Mary Jane being a genuinely awful human being.

Batman Begins is the GOAT comic book movie.

Batman Returns is a trash fire with some nice art design.

Sure, it's an almost R-rated trash fire that has nothing to do with the source material, directed by Tim Burton at the height of his career, starring Michael Keaton, Michelle Pfeiffer, Danny DeVito and Christopher Walken and featuring Danny Elfman's best soundtrack. These are the scientific reasons that explain why it's my favorite comic-book film.

Elginer

Best Spidey movie ever. Perhaps, the best comic book flick but I still love Richard Donners Superman the Movie the Directors Cut.

I watched it again for the first time in a few years the other day and was surprised how well it still holds up. It's definitely cheesy in places but it's got such a great sense of humour with a big heart as well. I love the 'raindrops keep falling' scene and where they poke fun at the back problems Maguire had in the lead up to filming. It still has one of the most memorable action scenes in the genre with the train sequence too.

I'd still put it behind TDK but it's definitely up there.

Red Fire

I love the Spiderman trilogy, but 2 is my least favorite out of the three. I love 1, it is one of my all time favorite movies.

I didn't like the villain in 2, i didn't like MJ being with that dude out of nowhere and leaving him suddenly, i didn't like harry being a dick, and generally the theme was not as good as in the others to me. The ending with mj having that look you described also wasn't a satisfactory ending i think.

3 had more interesting antagonists and a better plot i think.

In my opinion:
1 > 3 > 2

Not saying 2 is a bad movie though.

I watched it again for the first time in a few years the other day and was surprised how well it still holds up. It's definitely cheesy in places but it's got such a great sense of humour with a big heart as well. I love the 'raindrops keep falling' scene and where they poke fun at the back problems Maguire had in the lead up to filming. It still has one of the most memorable action scenes in the genre with the train sequence too.

I'd still put it behind TDK but it's definitely up there.

While Tobey might be the worst Spider-Man we've ever had (he was still solid, just not as good as Garfield or Holland), this scene captures with perfection the feel of 60s/70s Spidey. Raimi completely nailed the character.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
Here here, fella. And judging from the current conditions of how superhero movies are made these days (that includes you, Marvel), I don't see it ever being topped anytime soon.

And screw the folks who don't like Tobey Maguire, he was a great Parker.

I love spidey, but Civil War eclipsed it. And did a touch down dance
I doubt I'll feel this way once I eventually see Civil War. With the way Marvel works in making its movies post Phase One (more reliant on delighting audiences by making likeable characters on the surface but excising more skindeep efforts of characterisation). I've yet to see a moment that's on par with TFA's grenade spot in the Phase Two features. That moment isn't just something that makes us want to like him, but it showcased what sort of character Steve Rogers is. And Raimi's Spiderman has a lot of moments like that that define just who Peter Parker is (and why wouldn't it given that guilt is such a big part of his character in the comics). Sure, I'll probably end up liking Civil War, but I don't expect it to have the same depth to the world and who resides in it like Spiderman 1 and 2, and the early MCU features as well...and Ant-Man too, I guess.

I don't meant to sound too hyperbolic, it's just I was seriously blown away. Has to rank up their with one of the best sequels at least. The jump from 1 to 2 is crazy. I'm seriously debating watching Spider-Man 3 again though, I'm afraid of that Back to the Future gif becoming true lol
Ehhh, just go watch the ASM movies after just to remind yourself how better the Raimi movies were before they came along. Yes, including Spidey 3.

Glass Rebel

I rewatched all of them recently and while I really like Molina as Doc Ock (I like him in everything, admittedly), I really don't see how you can claim that he fits the themes of the movie and in the same breath say that Zemo is a bad villain.

As for the movie itself, it's pretty good. I think it's been surpassed easily tho. Batman Begins, The Dark Knight, every single Captain America movie, Guardians of the Galaxy, Iron Man 1 and 3, X-Men: First Class, X-Men: Days of Future Past, Deadpool... but it's cool. Certainly the best Spidey movie, not the best movie with Spidey tho.

cchum

It's this or Batman Begins. Not surprising that they use the same theme: What it is to be a hero, and the sacrifices to be made.

Are people forgetting V for Vendetta? The Crow is damn good too.
Iron man is just below. Great, but it falls apart a little at the end.

Erevador

Never understood why people like 2 more than one. Norman Osborne is a much more interesting villain, and the story is more focused in the first one. 2 is a good film, but for me its not as joyous or enjoyable as the first.

phanphare

Banned
also I really didn't like the whole angle of doc ock's arms being able to take over his mind with the inhibitor chip or whatever. made the ending so fucking cheesy when he overcame them.

brain damage from a huge explosion isn't an easy enough justification for him going crazy? c'mon

Lunar15

Still the best one in my book. Really can't think of another comic book film that comes anywhere close, even though I like a lot of them well enough.

TDK was pretty great, but it's so grounded that I almost don't consider it a comic book film? If so, I'd say the two are pretty close: they excel in different areas.

LionPride

Banned
Is it weird that I find Batman Begins to be the better Batman movie over The Dark Knight, TDK is a great movie but BB is a better Batman movie

Also they're both better than SM2

Slayven

Here here, fella. And judging from the current conditions of how superhero movies are made these days (that includes you, Marvel), I don't see it ever being topped anytime soon.

And screw the folks who don't like Tobey Maguire, he was a great Parker.

I doubt I'll feel this way once I eventually see Civil War. With the way Marvel works in making its movies post Phase One (more reliant on delighting audiences by making likeable characters on the surface but excising more skindeep efforts of characterisation). I've yet to see a moment that's on par with TFA's grenade spot in the Phase Two features. That moment isn't just something that makes us want to like him, but it showcased what sort of character Steve Rogers is. And Raimi's Spiderman has a lot of moments like that that define just who Peter Parker is (and why wouldn't it given that guilt is such a big part of his character in the comics). Sure, I'll probably end up liking Civil War, but I don't expect it to have the same depth to the world and who resides in it like Spiderman 1 and 2, and the early MCU features as well...and Ant-Man too, I guess.

Ehhh, just go watch the ASM movies after just to remind yourself how better the Raimi movies were before they came along. Yes, including Spidey 3.

Sorry can't hear you over how awesome the airpot scene was

phanphare

Banned
Is it weird that I find Batman Begins to be the better Batman movie over The Dark Knight, TDK is a great movie but BB is a better Batman movie

nah, I think Batman Begins was the only truly good movie out of that trilogy. dark knight got carried by heath ledger's stellar performance and some really nice scenes in the first half of the movie but it sort of fell apart after a while and two face was a god damn travesty. textbook definition of "cringeworthy".

cchum

Not really. It's "cleaner" and the theme carries through pretty well. The fear theme is throughout, but the Dark Knight has less of one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom