• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT Comic Book Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

atr0cious

Garfield played a high school douche Parker I don't get how that fits the character he's supposed to be at all.
He plays a genius teenager with super powers, which is what Peter is. He's not perfect, especially with time management, but he tries to never let those closest to him down.

phanphare

Banned
the-avengers-angry-hup6u82.gif

yes, that is another movie that's better than spider man 2

icespide

Banned
Spider-man 2 and The Dark Knight are severely overrated. The Avengers is really just OKAY but is remembered as great because of the novelty of all these characters together on screen.

Anth0ny

Spider-Man 2, Dark Knight and Avengers make up the god tier of comic book movies for me.

I like the variety there. A Sony Marvel movie, DC movie and MCU film. All three feel different, all three are fucking classics.

I'm curious how some of these MCU movies will hold up in the long run. A lot of the impact Avengers had is due to the time it came out, the hype building up to it, etc. Same with Civil War, mainly due to the number of movies you need to watch to really get the full experience, even if the only "essential" movies are arguably AoU and Winter Solider (which are both sequels). I wonder if anyone in ten years who hasn't been following Marvel would be willing to invest themselves in a 10+ movie megafranchise just to watch the "best" one.

phanphare

Banned
God, it's not even remotely close, though.

as a comic book fan nothing will ever surpass avengers as a straight up superhero movie for me. it's just so well done. I love stuff like batman begins and it does successfully convey the vibe of the batman books but avengers was the first time a comic book movie successfully portrayed the colorful light hearted action that are found in superhero books without any major trade-offs. not to mention that it brought continuity to comic book movies, something that I never imagined would ever happen. it served as a huge payoff for everything that preceded it. the avengers was a milestone for comic book movies and will always be a special movie for me. one day they'll edit out cap's costume and it will be literally perfect.

Surfinn

I love the Spiderman trilogy, but 2 is my least favorite out of the three. I love 1, it is one of my all time favorite movies.

I didn't like the villain in 2, i didn't like MJ being with that dude out of nowhere and leaving him suddenly, i didn't like harry being a dick, and generally the theme was not as good as in the others to me. The ending with mj having that look you described also wasn't a satisfactory ending i think.

3 had more interesting antagonists and a better plot i think.

In my opinion:
1 > 3 > 2

Not saying 2 is a bad movie though.
Walked out of 3. Right after the emo haired pelvic thrusting. What an embarrassment, almost from beginning to end (of what I saw).

Last time I'd been that shocked in theaters was after the premiere for The Phantom Menace.

guek

Banned
Spider-Man 2, Dark Knight and Avengers make up the god tier of comic book movies for me.

I like the variety there. A Sony Marvel movie, DC movie and MCU film. All three feel different, all three are fucking classics.
Good man

phanphare

Banned
Walked out of 3. Right after the emo haired pelvic thrusting. What an embarrassment, almost from beginning to end (of what I saw).

Last time I'd been that shocked in theaters was after the premiere for The Phantom Menace.

man, I was still in high school and saw it at midnight with a bunch of friends. we all had to be at class the next morning at 7am or whenever school started. I remember right before topher turned into venom I looked at my clock thinking "wow, it's getting close to the end is this ever going to do anything worthwhile?" what a let down. classic case of I'vemadeahugemistake.gif

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I'll throw my hat in:

Spiderman 2 = Winter Soldier = Deadpool = Iron Man 1 = X-Men 2

It's hard for me to choose. I loved Civil War a lot, but its one downside was that it was just too stuffed and paced too fast.

as a comic book fan nothing will ever surpass avengers as a straight up superhero movie for me. it's just so well done. I love stuff like batman begins and it does successfully convey the vibe of the batman books but avengers was the first time a comic book movie successfully portrayed the colorful light hearted action that are found in superhero books without any major trade-offs

I get you, but for me Spider-man 2 absolutely had that.

Zemo is a good villain? Haha no, he was garbage.

Batman Begins, TDK, X-men 2, X-men DOFP, The Dark knight Return 1-2, the flashpoint paradox, JL Apocalypse, are better than Spiderman 2

IM, Avengers, Xmen first class, Deadpool, the Incredibles are on the same level as spidey 2.

McLovin

I was about to say BS that movie sucked but then I realized the movies all blurred together. Yeah Spider-Man 2 was the shit. 3 was hot garbage though.

I don't agree with you but dammit, I respect that choice.
Del Toro captured the comic-book / manga esthetic like no other director ever has, right down to the Kirby dots. Blade 2 is Fury Road's comic-book twin brother. Iconic, brilliant, simple, short and to the point.

GOAT comic-book films for me:
Superman 1
Batman Returns
Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
Spider-Man 2
X2
Blade 2
The Dark Knight
Man of Steel (yes, absolutely)
Captain America: Civil War

True story. The rest of the x-men movies are pretty worthless imo, even the Fassbender + McAvoy combo couldn't save First Class

I didn't like X3 at first, but it has some really good scenes, score, and emotional moments. It has many other problems but I actually felt that the Rat tried. It's below X2, First Class, Future Past and even Apocalypse, but I don't hate it.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack
I didn't like X3 at first, but it has some really good scenes, score, and emotional moments. It has many other problems but I actually felt that the Rat tried. It's below X2, First Class, Future Past and even Apocalypse, but I don't hate it.

Neither do I. It's nowhere near as bad as people made it out to be. SM3 was bad.

X3 was good. Not great. Not amazing. But good.

Yeah SM3 is just irredeemable trash. ASM2 is much better for me. I liked a lot of it, it's not perfect but I felt it had strengths and legitimate emotional value. SM3 is just nothing to me. The script needed a lot of work but the actors and Marc Webb did a terrific job when it came to acting and directing. There's no realm in existence where I'd watch SM3 over it.

This. My main criticism with Marvel movies nowadays is that they feel like products, and not creations. You will only see glimpses of the director in each and any one of the MCU movies, it all feels processed and "mechanized" (though I have to admit that Civil War was great).

Then you have DC, which passed Batman, from Nolan to Snyder, and you got BVS as a result...

While many of the Marvel films do seem like homogenous products, there are a few of their films that feel very much like the works of their directors.

Captain America 1 definitely feels like a Joe Johnston film. The Rocketeer vibe is strong in that.
Iron Man 3 is a Shane Black film through and through.
Guardians of the Galaxy feels like a James Gunn film.
Avengers: Age of Ultron is so Whedon it hurts.

Rewatched it. The GOAT indeed.

Modern super hero films are trash devoid of virtually any artistic integrity. No themes, no memorable music and no effort put into the cinematography anymore. They're just soulless fan service cash cows filled with one liners, boring fist fight choreo and the same overused villain motivations about "world destruction" blah blah blah. A simple bingo card can narrow the next film's plot down to espionage related to secret weapons, the threat of destroying a city, an ancient evil resurfacing, a single villain going after a group of heros for "revenge", list continues

giphy.gif

I'll take cheesy acting over any of that because at least I remember all the scenes and set pieces.

Also, The Dark Knight is a crime film before it is a superhero film. Batman could be Jason Bourne and it'd be the exact same movie.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom