• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT Comic Book Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spinluck

Maybe it's me, but Cap letting Bucky beat the shit out of him and delivering the, "because I'm with you, till the end of the line" line. Had as much of an emotional impact on me than some of the deepest scenes in the Raimi films. It was a great scene, and fit the Cap that the MCU was going for perfectly.

The set up for it was so good too. Surprised that some people still aren't sold on Cap n Bucky bromance.

guek

Banned
Maybe it's me, but Cap letting Bucky beat the shit out of him and delivering the, "because I'm with you, till the end of the line" line. Had as much of an emotional impact on me than some of the deepest scenes in the Raimi films. It was a great scene, and fit the Cap that the MCU was going for perfectly.

The set up for it was so good too. Surprised that people aren't sold on Cap n Bucky bromance.

Nah, it's not just you man. That shit was lit

Spinluck

Nah, it's not just you man. That shit was lit

It's essentially what DC was going for with "Martha" line, but it fell completely flat, and wasn't setup or established well at all.

I'm a proponent of the first two Raimi films, but can see why they're not for everyone. Movieheads usually like those more than most comicbook films because they're will made movies.

atr0cious

It's essentially what DC was going for with "Martha" line, but it fell completely flat, and wasn't setup or established well at all.
Nah, the Martha line was not supposed to be heartfelt, its an indictment of Batman, which is established by him bullheadedly crusading against Jesus.

Yup, still unsurpassed.

Maybe the casting wasn't perfect, but the character building is fantastic and the world feels lived in.

Also Raimi's films have a certain touch to them that feels a bit more personable than the more workmanlike Marvel movies of today.

No it isn't, Spider-Man 2 is overrated like all Raimi's Spider-Man movies and X-Men 2.

Molina is the only one good in the movie and even he couldn't save it from Tobey and Kirsten dragging it down.

It is still the king. It strikes the perfect balance of being very respectful to the original source material (in this case, silver age Spidey) while also changing and twisting it to fit into the medium it is in now.
It is silly and ridiculous, which almost all comic book films are deep down, while also being a wonderful and meaningful character study. We love the characters and are invested in what happens to them. The action scenes are still wonderful on a technical level, but work so well because we actually care about what is going on and want to see the hero succeed.
It is also very much a product of its director. There is no mistaking that this is a Sam Raimi film, and it is him unleashed with almost no restrictions and allowed to essentially unleash all these visions and dreams of Spidey from his childhood on screen. The energy and enthusiasm of the film is just magical.

Yes, most of the movie is completely shitting on Peter and his life, but that is the point. It is all about tearing him down and reducing him as low as he can go, and that is what makes the highs of the film soar oh so very high.

The other thing about the film is that it almost seems effortless. It is like the film just glides along at a perfect click without ever having to try too hard, because all the cogs and gears are in perfect sync and it all comes together so perfectly.

Other comic book films since have come close, but none have yet to surpass it.

The set up for it was so good too. Surprised that some people still aren't sold on Cap n Bucky bromance.

Honestly I'm still salty that they turned Cap 3 into Avengers lite. I know I'm the minority but the movie would have been far better as just Cap and Bucky on the run from the law, no Sokovia accords nonsense. Also because Ultron was crap and the less referenced in future films the better.

Sorcerer

Spider-Man 2 isn't even the best Raimi Spidey movie, Spider-Man 1 is better. Spidey 2 gets too campy, in a bad way, for me and Tobey also kind of sucks as Spidey (his Peter is on point, though). Also, these movies suffer from Mary Jane being a genuinely awful human being.

Batman Begins is the GOAT comic book movie.

Is Mary Jane an awful human being in the Rami series?

How many times does Parker flip-flop, lets gets together, no we can't be together, lets get together, no we cannot be together. It a tiring aspect of Rami's series. Seriously Pete, make up your damn mind.

It is still the king. It strikes the perfect balance of being very respectful to the original source material (in this case, silver age Spidey) while also changing and twisting it to fit into the medium it is in now.
It is silly and ridiculous, which almost all comic book films are deep down, while also being a wonderful and meaningful character study. We love the characters and are invested in what happens to them. The action scenes are still wonderful on a technical level, but work so well because we actually care about what is going on and want to see the hero succeed.
It is also very much a product of its director. There is no mistaking that this is a Sam Raimi film, and it is him unleashed with almost no restrictions and allowed to essentially unleash all these visions and dreams of Spidey from his childhood on screen. The energy and enthusiasm of the film is just magical.

Yes, most of the movie is completely shitting on Peter and his life, but that is the point. It is all about tearing him down and reducing him as low as he can go, and that is what makes the highs of the film soar oh so very high.

The other thing about the film is that it almost seems effortless. It is like the film just glides along at a perfect click without ever having to try too hard, because all the cogs and gears are in perfect sync and it all comes together so perfectly.

Other comic book films since have come close, but none have yet to surpass it.

This. My main criticism with Marvel movies nowadays is that they feel like products, and not creations. You will only see glimpses of the director in each and any one of the MCU movies, it all feels processed and "mechanized" (though I have to admit that Civil War was great).

Then you have DC, which passed Batman, from Nolan to Snyder, and you got BVS as a result...

So?. Civil War is still better than Spiderman 2.
RFiJNyN.gif

jrush64

Banned
Dark Knight is the GOAT comic book movie. However, Spiderman 2 and The Dark Knight are top of the pile comic book movies.

Civil War... come on.

Eidan

Elfman's Spider-Man scores always sounded like the motifs that didn't make the cut when he was scoring Batman. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that they could recall the main theme from these films, and for the life of me I don't know how. Every time I try I just start humming his Batman theme.

Elfman's Spider-Man scores always sounded like the motifs that didn't make the cut when he was scoring Batman. Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that they could recall the main theme from these films, and for the life of me I don't know how. Every time I try I just start humming his Batman theme.

I was really disappointed in Civil War's score especially after I thought Jackman did a good job with The Winter Soldier. Bar the airport scene music, there was nothing memorable in at all. Elfman's Spidey music has always been the opposite for me.

teiresias

I'd probably rank Batman Begins and The Dark Knight ahead of it and probably tie Spider-Man 2 with or just below X2, imo.

Like someone else said, the Marvel Cinematic Supermodel Hero Universe has been stale for years. That's one reason I prefer Daredevil to the MCU, it's less about being pretty and witty all the time.

Eidan

You're all wrong. All of you.

Molina's Doc Ock is campy and fun, but wouldn't even make my top five comic book villain portrayals. The character and the actor are outclassed by Green Goblin/Willem Dafoe and easily by Zemo/Daniel Brühl. And Maguire's Parker was shit from scene 1. I was stunned at how effortlessly Holland pulled off the Parker from the comics. Hell, Garfield was also a much better Spider-Man.

DpadD

Banned
For those fun, bright, fan-service comic book vibes, nothing beats Spider-man 2, MCU films are certainly up there, as are the newest X-Men.

For darker, more grounded comic book vibes, I'd have to hand it to 300 or the Dark Knight.

If we're just talking straight-up superhero movies, nothing has dethroned The Incredibles imo

Eidan

I'm out. Zemo was barely a villain at all. Least memorable part of a kinda memorable film.

He was a great villain with compelling motivation, and an understated performance that worked well with the tone of the film. I loved every second of it. Much more than Mr. Power of the Sun in the Palm of My Hand aka My Robotic Arms Have Taken Over My Brain, Please Break for Instant Redemption Scene.

DeathoftheEndless

Crashing this plane... with no survivors!
I love it. A lot of superhero movies don't do much with the human side of heroes, but this and the original SM really make you root for Pete.

Batman is my favorite comic book movie though.

Tambini

Yes, it is the GOAT comic book movie

I was watching it the other week and my mum who hates stuff like that was getting into it, just a great movie with real feeling characters

Lothars

I'd probably rank Batman Begins and The Dark Knight ahead of it and probably tie Spider-Man 2 with or just below X2, imo.

Like someone else said, the Marvel Cinematic Supermodel Hero Universe has been stale for years. That's one reason I prefer Daredevil to the MCU, it's less about being pretty and witty all the time.
I think Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan Trilogy but with that being said It's not even the best batman movie, and I would put it below Spiderman 2, X2, Civil War.

jrush64

Banned
I think Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan Trilogy but with that being said It's not even the best batman movie, and I wouldn put it below Spiderman 2, X2, Civil War.

I think people underate Batman Begins. While I think Dark Knight is better because of the Joker, Begins is such a good movie.

I think Batman Begins is the best of the Nolan Trilogy but with that being said It's not even the best batman movie, and I wouldn put it below Spiderman 2, X2, Civil War.

Batman Begins is definitely the best of the Nolan films. Dark Knight has an incredible performance from Ledger but Begins is a better film as a whole.

y2dvd

I must be the only one that's not too fond of First Class. Everyone outside of Fassbender and MacVoy were blah.

Honorable mentions to Chronicles and Kick-Ass because they normally don't get mentioned in these types of threads. I had such high hopes for you Josh! D:

Civil War has better action
Christ, it better have superior action after 12 years of trial and error development on the genre and advances in technology.
better acting,
Are you beautiful all the time? Check

Can you slyly throw out zingers at just the right moment? Check

=better acting?

k

Sorry, but there isn't a single actor yet who has been given the chance to experience the full range of human emotion like Raimi had Toby do.
a better villain,

Disgruntled average white dude #37, versus Doc Oc.

fucking lmao

Come on, the villainy in Horror Hospital scene alone in SM2 runs circles around the forgettable wandering Zemo did in the entirety of 2 1/2 hours. How many times does Zemo even cross paths with any of the MCs in Civil War? Honest question.

a better Peter Parker,
I'll wait for the film before I decide on this. Signs are looking better than Garfield at least.

and fuck it, a better score.
tumblr_n88lpasKof1qgr036o8_r1_250.gif

...dude... like, does anyone even have a memorable character theme in Civil War, let alone the MCU..? I could see the other ones coming down to taste and expectation, but the score.. this is not a war you wanna start, lol.

Garfield is a better Peter Parker than Maguire even though Spiderman 2 is amazing. So I am not sure if the new guy will be better but he did a decent job in his cameo.

Garfield played a high school douche Parker I don't get how that fits the character he's supposed to be at all.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I compare all comic book movies to the Cap America movies, especially 2 and 3. That's the standard going forward. SM2, while good, isn't in the same league.

Modern Marvel movies are great summer popcorn flicks, but everyone is so busy running around looking beautiful and throwing zingers left and right, they forget to look human. How often do we see MCs weep, ugly-strain, or look just plain pathetic? McGuire's Peter Parker felt like an actual person with super powers, and not a fashion model who's always got the perfect smart ass comment in their back pocket for the perfect moment.

Raimi not afraid of directing Toby to show the ugly sides of emotion:

tumblr_lrjd8xpx1W1qaiuu5o1_500.gif

392f26dc73d55f77295027a6980230cf.jpg
The Iron Man movies all do.

Guardians had parts where Rocket is shown to cry and generally feel bad about himself.

Winter Soldier looks pretty low every time he's shown being brainwashed. He obviously has no power over his captors.

So, a bunch of them really.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom