• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 2 is the GOAT Comic Book Movie

Status
Not open for further replies.
I will say tho, defending Spider-Man 3 is not a hill worth dying on lol it's not really great, I guess I just give it a pass because it makes me laugh

LionPride

Banned
We just fundamentally disagree then. Avengers 2 is one of the worst films I've seen in theaters. Definitely surpassed by Thor 2 tho...

If AoU is one of the worst movies you've seen in theatres I'm happy for you

But people don't dislike it because it's campy, they dislike it because they think it's trying to be serious when it's not at all.

I disliked it because it was dumb as shit. Same reason I hated the Raindrops keep falling on my head sequence. Serious or not, shit was dumb

atr0cious

icespide

Banned
few things that bug me about Spider-man 2:

- the arms control Doc Ock
- the movie really drags when Pete loses his powers
- long-winded hero speeches from Aunt May + the neighbor kid
- "here's your change!" is like the one quip spidey has in the whole movie
- Joel Mchale

Seeing all the CW praise in here isn't surprising, but that movie was legitimately my biggest disappointment in years and almost killed my interest to see any more MCU movies in theaters. I think the only part of the movie I liked was the car scene with Bucky/Falcon and Giant Man being Giant Man.

I think it's impressive, considering what came afterwards (and reading about the scripts being thrown out beforehand) how un-corporate the movie feels. It's something that bogs down my enjoyment of the MCU, no matter how good the movie. Like Spidey in Civil War. Good scenes and it was pretty organic in terms of the plot but the whole time I was watching I couldn't stop thinking about how I was just watching a huge advertisement for Homecoming. It actively took me out of the movie.

Raimi truly is the best. Evil Dead 2 is probably my favorite movie of all time as well.

LionPride

Banned

A-V-B

Nope, ASM is the best Spider-Man movie

Same way Man of Steel is the best Superman movie

And I'm deadass serious

HarryPotter-Shock.gif

phanphare

Banned
Nope, ASM is the best Spider-Man movie

Same way Man of Steel is the best Superman movie

And I'm deadass serious

ASM is like the polar opposite of raimi's stuff

with raimi's spider man movies (1 and 2 specifically) they botched pete, spidey and mj hard but did well with the villains and some of the supporting cast (jjj is so good)

whereas with ASM (I haven't watched the second one) they did well with pete, spidey, and gwen but botched everything else hard

LionPride

Banned
Leveling an entire city was all it took for ya huh.
Superman didn't level shit except for Smallville, those fight scense were great and I like Cavill as Superman.
ASM is like the polar opposite of raimi's stuff

with raimi's spider man movies (1 and 2 specifically) they botched pete, spidey and mj hard but did well with the villains and some of the supporting cast (jjj is so good)

whereas with ASM (I haven't watched the second one) they did well with pete, spidey, and gwen but botched everything else hard
if given more time and less interference, ASM and ASM 2 could've been A1
It doesn't affect me either. I'm not nostalgic whatsoever for the original Superman.

All the same...

HarryPotter-Shock.gif

They good

atr0cious

The absolute best part about the ASM series is the little lights when he uses his webslingers. I have a mini nerdgasm everytime I see it. And if you want actual camp, ASM2 is for you. Jamie Foxx has a ball as Electro, him and Dehaan have one really standout scene together.The electronic music and light shows representing his mentality are icing the on the cake. Paul Giamatti does get robbed of having his own full arc, but he does great in the time allotted.

icespide

Banned
The absolute best part about the ASM series is the little lights when he uses his webslingers. I have a mini nerdgasm everytime I see it. And if you want actual camp, ASM2 is for you. Jamie Foxx has a ball as Electro, him and Dehaan have one really standout scene together.The electronic music and light shows representing his mentality are icing the on the cake. Paul Giamatti does get robbed of having his a full arc, but he does great in the time allotted.

I like you

phanphare

Banned
The absolute best part about the ASM series is the little lights when he uses his webslingers. I have a mini nerdgasm everytime I see it. And if you want actual camp, ASM2 is for you. Jamie Foxx has a ball as Electro, him and Dehaan have one really standout scene together.The electronic music and light shows representing his mentality are icing the on the cake. Paul Giamatti does get robbed of having his own full arc, but he does great in the time allotted.

yeah gadgetry was always one of my favorite aspects of spider man. loved the sound his web shooters made too with that camera flash sound.

I'll get around to watching asm2 someday. right now I feel like it'll be after homecoming comes out. I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel first lol

icespide

Banned
yeah gadgetry was always one of my favorite aspects of spider man. loved the sound his web shooters made too with that camera flash sound.

I'll get around to watching asm2 someday. right now I feel like it'll be after homecoming comes out. I need to see the light at the end of the tunnel first lol

watching ASM2 for the first time after Homecoming sounds like a terrible idea to me

Absolutely agreed OP - one of my favorite movies of all time. Spider-Man 1 is also pretty damn good.

Even though Spider-Man 3 is generally hated, I liked it for what it was (and for what Sam Raimi could do under the pressure of Sony wanting him to crank out a sequel pretty quickly).

icespide

Banned
yeah maybe

maybe I'll just re-watch all of them. I've been actively avoiding asm2 tbh, as much as I liked aspects of the first one asm soured me.

meh I think folks are way too harsh on ASM2. There's some great spidey action in there and despite being rushed I like the Green Goblin stuff in the end.

atr0cious

watching ASM2 for the first time after Homecoming sounds like a terrible idea to me

This is exactly what I was thinking lol. As much as I love the ASM for what it is, watching them after the Holland experience doesn't sound wise. It might end up like watching the aformentioned 70s cap movies or 90s nick fury movies after the modern comic boom, you'll wonder why they even tried til now.

People aren't harsh on ASM2 enough. Its easily worse than any comic book movie this year, and Im including TMNT2 in this.

Spider-Man 2 tho, :wow: Great stuff.

Darkangel

I'm not that into the source material, but I preferred Tobey's humble, tragic Peter over Garfield's cocky asshole Peter.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
I had to watch 3 separate youtube clips to get this sequence in its entirety.
I know, YouTube is a pain to get good quality videos of this.

They have a great Spidey, great suits(the backpack on Spider-Man is inspired and really grounds him) best looking swinging and cinematography. These scenes are more Spider-Man than the entirety of the Raimi series:

Thief Scene

Burning Car

Studio decision ruined what could've been great, but of course it's not in the running.
Ehhh, first video was pretty much just Garfield's Parker but with the mask on in the sense that he was already a somewhat confident figure who happens to stand up against the bully, which undercuts the whole idea of Spiderman being a vessel for where Parker can express himself.

The second one...well, it's good on its own (which is saying a lot, considering just how terrible the rest of the movie is), but is later undermined by the whole crane scene where we see the father of the rescued kid attempt to help Spidey by trying to form a path of sorts to help him get where he needs to go in a desperate attempt to evoke the bridge and train scenes of Spidey 1 and 2 but not really getting as to why those scenes worked in the first place.

And it wouldn't be the last time that that ASM movies would ruin a more intimate scene. In ASM2, we'd see Pete stop some bullies going after a kid and his science project. Later, we would see that same kid do something as stupid as stand up to the Rhino while in his Spidey suit in the end of the movie. If that was their attempt at trying to make Spiderman as something inspirational, then they absolutely failed at that.

atr0cious

meh I think folks are way too harsh on ASM2. There's some great spidey action in there and despite being rushed I like the Green Goblin stuff in the end.

yeah maybe

maybe I'll just re-watch all of them. I've been actively avoiding asm2 tbh, as much as I liked aspects of the first one asm soured me.

Word, ASM 2 is good, but at the same time, gwen's death was traumatic enough for me to never want to watch the movie again, though I've seen it a few times.

The absolute best part of ASM2 is when he's sick.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUYl2XaUang

Just his outfit alone is so on point.

atr0cious

I know, YouTube is a pain to get good quality videos of this.

Ehhh, first video was pretty much just Garfield's Parker but with the mask on in the sense that he was already a somewhat confident figure who happens to stand up against the bully, which undercuts the whole idea of Spiderman being a vessel for where Parker can express himself.

The second one...well, it's good on its own (which is saying a lot, considering just how terrible the rest of the movie is), but is later undermined by the whole crane scene where we see the father of the rescued kid attempt to help Spidey by trying to form a path of sorts to help him get where he needs to go in a desperate attempt to evoke the bridge and train scenes of Spidey 1 and 2 but not really getting as to why those scenes worked in the first place.

And it wouldn't be the last time that that ASM movies would ruin a more intimate scene. In ASM2, we'd see Pete stop some bullies going after a kid and his science project. Later, we would see that same kid do something as stupid as stand up to the Rhino while in his Spidey suit in the end of the movie. If that was their attempt at trying to make Spiderman as something inspirational, then they absolutely failed at that.
But that's literally spider-man. The city is his sidekick. And as terrible as the crane scene plays out(the exposition is Nolan level bad), it hits this point home really well.
I even liked how the web turned into a little hand trying to reach for her, I ate it up

I did too, I was tearing up as it was happening. People knock it and say its an old used scenario, but to see it cinematically was a gut punch.

Slayven

I think the vast majority of people would describe Civil War as interesting and well made. You're going to have to accept being an outlier

When Panther told Steven Grant Rogers "As a warrior and as a king, how long do you think you can keep him from me?"

I said this can't be real...

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Spider-man 2 is the best Spider-man movie released but not the best comic book movie. Winter Solider, Civil War, The Dark Knight, Iron Man and Blade 1 are still the best.

Nerdkiller

Membeur
But that's literally spider-man. The city is his sidekick. And as terrible as the crane scene plays out(the exposition is Nolan level bad), it hits this point home really well.
That was the case for the first two Raimi movies as well with the bridge and train scenes. And if you want to know more about how those scenes were impactful, you need to look no further than MovieBob's Really That Good episode of the first two Spiderman movies. This bit in particular. It takes a while to get to the scenes described, but I feel the full context is important.

You spelled The Dark Knigt wrong.

f6e6ec68-920e-472a-88f7-54897a0b1e9a-jpeg-23217.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom