• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man 3.1 (New cut supervised by Sam Raimi) included in Japanese SM Trilogy Set

FeD.nL

Coming soon:

dd1.jpg

Spiderman 3 was the first movie that disappointed me. People talk about the dance scene, but that was actually good when compared to the rest: a random alien falls right where Spidy lives, rides a motorcycle and casually goes inside his suit. Peter is ok with it. Also, Sandman was the real killer! But wait, Spidy's best friend is now crazy. Except no, he just needed to know the truth that was hidden to him without any real reason.
Everything was convenient in that movie.

groansey

Spider-man 3 is secretly the GOAT. It's so entertaining. Every re-watch is journey, because even when you know what's coming you start out thinking, "this is pretty good, actually" and then over the next 2 hours the film just keeps shitting the bed for no goddamn reason.

The parts it gets right are as good as Spider-man 2, it's funny, the characters are warm, the effects are great - but then there are these catastrophic narrative choices like Harry's amnesia, to the detriment of any coherent plot with Sandman and Venom, who are sidelined to set pieces connected by some of the most preposterous exposition scenes I've witnessed in any film. Culminating in the utterly nonsense "I forgive you". You knew everybody involved was aware it was a clusterfuck.

But this is what makes it the most entertaining Raimi Spider-man. I've been wanting a new cut for years. I can't wait to see how they improve/fuck the film more.

One scene in SM3 that never gets the shit it deserves (even more so than the other infamous scenes) is the scene where Sandman "runs into" Venom. It is the most random and poorly edited scene in the entire film. It unfolds with zero context or a proper establishing shot. It's just a shadow of Venom web slinging along and then a shadow of Sandman enters the frame and thumps him.

*thud*

"End of the line, Spider-man."

Venom screeches at him, he looks at it for like, a second with a quick WTF glance of something resembling disgust? I dunno what the hell that was. Then he throws him away? Like, literally tosses him aside casually before turning to bounce.

Then Venom is all like "I wanna kill the spider, you wanna kill the spider. Interested?"

And with that, Sandman is down to team up with Venom.

Like, what in the blue fucking hell?

Worst scene in the film, for me.

jett

D-Member
Will be interesting to see just how many changes are implemented. I remember reading about several scenes/plotpoints dropped or changed. I think you could even see hints of them in trailers.

One scene in SM3 that never gets the shit it deserves (even more so than the other infamous scenes) is the scene where Sandman "runs into" Venom. It is the most random and poorly edited scene in the entire film. It unfolds with zero context or a proper establishing shot. It's just a shadow of Venom web slinging along and then a shadow of Sandman enters the frame and thumps him.

*thud*

Venom screeches at him, he looks at it for like, a second with a quick WTF glance of something resembling disgust? I dunno what the hell that was. Then he throws him away? Like, literally tosses him aside casually before turning to bounce.

Then Venom is all like "I wanna kill the spider, you wanna kill the spider. Interested?"

Yes it's terrible, very lazy. We need to set up our finale and have the villains come together so let's throw in a nonsensical 30 second scene.

Blader

*thud*

Yeah it's a pretty lazy set up that you can tell was slapped together quickly in reshoots. The original version of the team up scene showed Marko's daughter playing with a sand castle, and when she leaves the castle is revealed to be Marko -- all the while, Eddie is staking out the whole scene and uses Marko's family as leverage to join him in taking on Spider-Man. I'm not sure why the scene was cut and replaced with the alleyway one in the finished film (maybe the original just ran too long?), but -- assuming this 3.1 cut is actually real -- I hope it's restored because it certainly sounds a lot better.

Yeah it's a pretty lazy set up that you can tell was slapped together quickly in reshoots. The original version of the team up scene showed Marko's daughter playing with a sand castle, and when she leaves the castle is revealed to be Marko -- all the while, Eddie is staking out the whole scene and uses Marko's family as leverage to join him in taking on Spider-Man. I'm not sure why the scene was cut and replaced with the alleyway one in the finished film (maybe the original just ran too long?), but -- assuming this 3.1 cut is actually real -- I hope it's restored because it certainly sounds a lot better.
That would be a fantastic change.

Daft_Cat

Studio probably wanted faster pacing, and more Venom. I'm not joking.

Seems like a pipe-dream to hope for too much from this, but I'm definitely hyped. Love the first two films, along with Raimi in general. Even if it's just a marginal improvement (i.e. a 5/10 to a 6/10), I'll bite.

bryanee

Even the video game version of the story had Venom using Sandmans daughter as leverage.

I feel it Would he a big improvement if they just removed all the venom scenes. Last time I watched the movie I found it to be pretty decent until he showed up in the final 3rd.

groansey

I feel it Would he a big improvement if they just removed all the venom scenes. Last time I watched the movie I found it to be pretty decent until he showed up in the final 3rd.

His fight with Spidey whilst MJ is suspended in his web is one of the best sequences in the movie and they got the look of the symbiote spot on. Just needed more screentime for him and Sandman. And less Harry.

Next update: Sam Raimi returning for Spider-Men starring Tobey Maguire and Tom Holland.

Coming soon:
I'd mark the hell out if the new Spiderman movies had an after credits scene with a zoomed out Spiderman swinging across the city as https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ac4xamCIgY or https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8wU2tuagX0 slowly starts to come in and you realize its Raimi Spiderman...
He lands on a rooftop and either talks to MCU Spiderman or SpiderGwen about a cross-reality threat.

Glass Rebel

So as we theorized a director's cut. I don't expect this to be a Kingdom of Heaven situation but I am willing to give it another chance.

Top Bottom