• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Homecoming - Official Trailer #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sami+

Kinda unrelated to this but man I wonder how many years I'll have to wait before getting an adaptation of the darker, adult (as in Peter is a literal adult) Spider-Man I grew up with. :eek:

My favorite Spidey stories are Kraven's Last Hunt and Blue so something closer to that would get me really pumped. Still one of my favorite fictional characters either way but eh, this looks like a pretty standard Marvel romp. Not bad, just... eh, I feel like both Spider-Man and Batman deserve better than what they're getting right now. It could still surprise me though!

SpaceWolf

Banned
Kinda unrelated to this but man I wonder how many years I'll have to wait before getting an adaptation of the darker, adult (as in Peter is a literal adult) Spider-Man I grew up with. :eek:

tobey-maguire-spiderman-3-1.png

The trailer didn't show the whole movie. It did show the outcome of the whole ferry set piece though.

We still have no idea about the highschool parts, the homecoming dance, shocker, tinkerer or even who donald glover is playing as.

Imo there's still plenty of thing to look forward to. Beside, i think MCU is great for the little moments like interaction between characters more so than the plot. Which you only get to see a little of them in this trailer

It's cool that those movie high school kids actually look like a high school class.

Here's 17 year old Flash Thompson in Spider-Man (2002)

latest

Even if some of the Homecoming kids are 18-22, they at least pass for a 16 year old.

in my high school there were some seniors that looked like they were 30

Spinluck

Tbh, after Civil War I almost gave up movie trailers after Marvel ruined Spider-Man's inclusion in the movie for me.

Bobby is this thread's superhero. Except he's like Cypher expecting to punch away a cosmic threat that multiplies by the minute.

Godspeed you valiant hero! All these fuckers are going to be first in line to watch it on release day then will talk about all the things that were not in the marketing material they so readily consumed a dozen times anyway.

Bobby
Culture

Questioning gaf's​ self induced spoiler fear one thread at a time.

Sami+

I know, I'm joking :)

Whoops 🙈🙈🙈 haha

On the bright side I guess it's best we'll get to physically see this version of the character grow up on screen. I mean Ultimate was still high school Pete after all and that got really gruesome at points.

Raptor

That game costume is better looking to me than the movie one, I just hate that small as hell little spidey logo on his chest.

Not really, no. I can, sure. But usually, a trailer is just a commercial.

I guess what I'm getting at is that for a lot of people, you're not looking at commercials as "here's what the movie will look and sound like when you buy your ticket." You're looking at them as tools by which to figure out and beat the movie before you see it.

Which is, inherently, counterproductive to "preserving the experience" you're looking to have when you do go to the movie - a movie that in most instances tyou already know you're going to before you ever watched frame one of any commercial.

You're basically admitting that you're trying to Solve for X when you watch a trailer. And if you're not doing that, you're looking for a reason to complain when the purity of the theatrical experience you were hoping to have is sullied.

At which point I'm wondering why it is people keep volunteering to be first in line to watch commercials for these movies when both aims are typically detrimental to your overall enjoyment.

(you could, also, start attempting to think of movies less as games you need to speedrun and more like stories you experience for the sake of them. This option doesn't seem to be one that gets considered much, though)

You really are over complicating things to create some kind of narrative you have cooked up.

It's simple, we don't like having trailers spell out a movie or give away major story points. Does it really not bother you when a clever scene or important plot element is essentially "ruined" by a trailer which would have been more enjoyable going in fresh?

Worst is horror films that put there big build up scare completely in the trailer, when you watch the movie it's like "I seen this", the whole emotion it's supposed to create is gone during the theater experience cause it's been battered into your head for months of trailers and previews. Do trailers that give up too much affect the movie viewing experience? Of course it does. And seriously the whole "it gave away the whole movie" is just a saying, simple as that.

People are not going around boy cotting films cause of trailers giving stuff away, it's an annoyance to people simple as that.

I hope they give Tony the line, "with great power comes great responsibility." I want everything in the MCU to revolve around Tony Stark in some way.

The issue I have with the Insomniac game suit is that it's too busy. It's like when you doodle something in your notebook but keep adding details out of boredom. The suit doesn't need all those supplementary details.

Raptor

I hope they give Tony the line, "with great power comes great responsibility." I want everything in the MCU to revolve around Tony Stark in some way.

They should have a flashback that shows it was Tony all along what cause the gamma accident that gave banner his Hulk powers.

They should have a flashback that shows it was Tony all along what cause the gamma accident that gave banner his Hulk powers.

I know you're joking but they did this a couple of years ago in the comics. It was a red herring though and Stark wasn't actually responsible but he was involved.

3N16MA

Banned
not sure where the age of him has to do with the movie being a darker tone or not. Didn't stop kick ass

I'm not sure what you want them to so with a teenage Peter that would make the film darker. I'm not exactly sure what you mean by darker. Since you used Kick Ass as an example I'm guessing you want it more violent, language, sex, R rating, Peter no longer cracking jokes and being more serious?

Sami+

Spider-Man 2 was thematically mature. Or does that not count because it wasn't dark?

Spidey 2 was rad, he posted a pic of 3. I was a kid when 2 came out so I sadly didn't appreciate it as much at the time, but yes, that kind of thing is what I'm talking about even though I'm still waiting on something as well done as that but with a darker tone.

This is a movie about a kid in high school. It's going to be targeted at Spider-Man fans of all ages. If this becomes an ongoing series and we get to see this version of Peter grow up with the audience I can see them gradually getting into some of the darker subject matter, but right now all I want to see is something as lighthearted and carefree as this appears to be.

There will still be moments of gravity as we can see from the trailer but after all of Sony's other attempts I'm ready for a drastic change in tone.

Not enough of the lighter stuff in the trailer for my liking! The music was a poor generic choice too, after using MGMT in the original (which was weirdly cut out of the original trailer when shown in theatres)

Einchy

semen stains the mountaintops
Sure, it's not like there's tons of comparison shots for all kinds of movies out there.

Are there?

Cus I've never actually seen one where things like character models, texture quality and animation improved from trailer to final film, and it especially doesn't happen enough where if we see a trailer we automatically have to think "it'll be better in the final movie".

Like the most famous one is probably the one for Guardians of the Galaxy, and that's mostly when adding better color grading and some stylistic changes, but the actual CGI didn't change.

[edit]

People always say the same thing when anyone criticizes a game's graphics but a game's graphics improving on release is extremely rare.

You really are over complicating things to create some kind of narrative you have cooked up.

It's simple, we don't like having trailers spell out a movie or give away major story points. Does it really not bother you when a clever scene or important plot element is essentially "ruined" by a trailer which would have been more enjoyable going in fresh?

Worst is horror films that put there big build up scare completely in the trailer, when you watch the movie it's like "I seen this", the whole emotion it's supposed to create is gone during the theater experience cause it's been battered into your head for months of trailers and previews. Do trailers that give up too much affect the movie viewing experience? Of course it does. And seriously the whole "it gave away the whole movie" is just a saying, simple as that.

People are not going around boy cotting films cause of trailers giving stuff away, it's an annoyance to people simple as that.

I don't think he's able to put what you're saying together. When studios offer alot of information in their trailers, normal human deduction goes to work for alot of curious people and they rewatch it to try to put the pieces together. I think he thinks that he speaks for the majority?

I don't think he's able to put what you're saying together. When studios offer alot of information in their trailers, normal human deduction goes to work for alot of curious people and they rewatch it to try to put the pieces together. I think he thinks that he speaks for the majority?

What? No, I understand him perfectly. See the bolded? That's what I mean when I say people are watching commercials SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of trying to Solve for X. You're trying to beat the movie before you see it. That's not the trailer's fault, because obsessively rewatching the same movie commercial upwards of 5-6 times solely for the sake of trying to figure out the plot isn't the commercial's intended use.

That you think this is what you're supposed to do is what I'm trying to point out as a problem.

Like I said, the option where you start to think of movies less as games you need to speedrun and more like stories you experience for the sake of them never seems to be even partially considered by people who love to watch trailers for movies they already know they're going to see if only so they can complain that it "spoiled" everything for them.

The entire act is counterproductive. If you're that concerned with preserving the experience, why are you watching trailers? If you're watching the trailers, why are you using them as incomplete wiki entries?

95% of all the "faults" with a commercial along those lines aren't the commercial's fault. They're yours.

What? No, I understand him perfectly. See the bolded? That's what I mean when I say people are watching commercials SPECIFICALLY for the purpose of trying to Solve for X. You're trying to beat the movie before you see it. That's not the trailer's fault, because obsessively rewatching the same movie commercial upwards of 5-6 times solely for the sake of trying to figure out the plot isn't the commercial's intended use.

That you think this is what you're supposed to do is what I'm trying to point out as a problem.

Like I said, the option where you start to think of movies less as games you need to speedrun and more like stories you experience for the sake of them never seems to be even partially considered by people who love to watch trailers for movies they already know they're going to see if only so they can complain that it "spoiled" everything for them.

The entire act is counterproductive. If you're that concerned with preserving the experience, why are you watching trailers? If you're watching the trailers, why are you using them as incomplete wiki entries?

95% of all the "faults" with a commercial along those lines aren't the commercial's fault. They're yours.

Ok, I misunderstood. But could you also say that it's a negative for the trailer to show too much information? Like you proposed above, a trailer is to grab your attention.

Say you have someone who didn't know anything about this, watched the trailer after learning of the title, in an attempt to decide if it's something they want to spend money on and see.

They watch the trailer and instead of piquing their interest, they feel satisfied that they were provided with enough story information to warrant skipping the theater release, and instead wait for it to come to rental/HBO/etc.

Is it still that person's fault?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom