• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man: Miles Morales does open world right, while Horizon Forbidden West does it all wrong.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
As a smart gamer, I have PS+ and its catalog of games. Sure, it’s missing key entries, but we can forgive Sony. They’re just getting their feet wet in what a good subscription service is.

I recently started and deleted Horizon Forbidden West. I got out of the starter area and just “noped” right out of there. The combat wasn’t fun, the traversal was awful and the story was still garbage. But fuck me, that game is a beauty.

Then I fired up Spider-Man:MM and this game is fun. The combat is fun, traversal is fast and the story has me hooked. It’s doing everything right. Its side quests are a blast, and even the mundane random events between objectives are fun to see through. And this game is still a looker too.

Horizon seriously needs to look at what other open world games are doing right. That series maps might be the most boring open worlds ever created. And worse, there’s nothing fun to do or explore between big areas.

Spider-Man 2 hopefully continues the trend of smart/fun gameplay, an open world map worth exploring and plenty of different small missions to complete.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I actually bailed on Miles. Just a little bored with it. Loved the first game though and got the Platinum.

I dont think Spider Man does anything that remarkable in the "open world." Its a bunch of tall rectangular boxes, and he can run up anything. The level design is barely even a thing. What's fun is the web swinging and traversal mechanics. The level itself is largely irrelevant other than looking pretty. Horizon is definitely more of an exploration action RPG. I didnt play part 2 but heard the climbing and traversal mechanics weren't as fun. Maybe that's what you're really after. I dunno.

Mossybrew

Well OP I totally disagree with your assessment. The only thing MM does better is traversal. Horizon's combat is way more interesting and intense, the enemy variety is top-notch, and the world way more interesting to explore than a boring old modern cityscape we've seen a hundred times.

Couldn't disagree more. While Spider-man and MM were good games, HFD made an improvement across damn near everything with a few things needing some tweaking. Movement felt more jerky than before, my roll often didn't do enough to get me out of danger, and the game is frustrating at times without a parry of some kind. Can't wait to see what they have in store for the DLC.

Kuranghi

The parts where you use a bow, or the staff. Shoot weakspots and loot. Crouch in tall grass and stealth attack. Just felt so by the numbers and lacked flare.

The combat and move set in MM I’d not only fun to pull off, but fun look at.

The staff combat was a big disappointment for me but I did enjoy the bow combat as much if not more than I did in the first game.

Justin9mm

I have to completely agree with OP on this one. Never got into Horizon, I've played nearly 15 hours on the first and about 5 hours on the second (hoping it would be different or better) and I'm someone that sort of likes everything and anything, but those two games did not click with me which is weird and it's probably because it is fucking boring to play, I really don't see the praise or hype. The Spiderman games are far more interesting and gameplay is a lot more fun, easily completed both.

Last edited:

Fake

Two very different games and I don't know if you should compare them, but yes I hated Horizon 2 it was so incredibly boring.

If you're comparing a open world with another open world, at least in the open world asthetic, is a valid point comparing.

What you can't compare is maybe combat, progression, lore. Open worlds are similar in this regards, I mean, fast travel, advantage point, loot, random encounters.

Kuranghi

Yes, Horizon really ramped the map icon spaghetti for the sequel. The first game was just the right "world size".

I think the map is 800x less stressful to look at if you just disable the machine site icons, I also turn off the campfires and just turn them on when I need to fast travel. Its more exciting when you don't know what machines are nearby the pleace where you're going as well.

You could even turn off old world sites and a few other icons and then its not that busy at all, coupled with the fact that most of them disappear when you zoom out anyway.

Most open world have the same problem now. Too repetitive with the same stuff littered across the map. It's one of the worst things about open world games and they all have to to an extent.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I actually bailed on Miles. Just a little bored with it. Loved the first game though and got the Platinum.

I dont think Spider Man does anything that remarkable in the "open world." Its a bunch of tall rectangular boxes, and he can run up anything. The level design is barely even a thing. What's fun is the web swinging and traversal mechanics. The level itself is largely irrelevant other than looking pretty. Horizon is definitely more of an exploration action RPG. I didnt play part 2 but heard the climbing and traversal mechanics weren't as fun. Maybe that's what you're really after. I dunno.
I mean unless you gonna give credit to Robert Moses then you can't really praise Spider-Man's level design and you really can't compare it to something like Horizon Forbidden West.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I mean unless you gonna give credit to Robert Moses then you can't really praise Spider-Man's level design and you really can't compare it to something like Horizon Forbidden West.
Urban "open world" is kind of its own thing. Basically just an arcadey action game with a large level. Infamous, prototype, etc.

Been dealing with open world exhaustion for the past few years and even went back to online shooters and fighting games to break it up.

MM was short and sweet, and i hate the story/writing in almost all of Guerillas offerings. I thought it was a pretty game but that's about it.

Aenima

I had a blast with Horizon FW. The game keeps trowing you new and bigger machines to fight, and never felt too repetitive to me, because of enemy variety, the bow combat is really good and satisfying if you know what you doing. (exploiting weaknesses, stripping enemy weapons and use them against the machines, hitting weakpoints to kill them much faster, etc)

Just felt that the best mount comes too late in the game, its great to clean up sidequests, and activities, but for the main story only, becomes pretty useless.

Traversal in Spider-man is more fun though. But u could say the same if u put Spider-man vs 90% of all other open world games.

Err GIF

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I had a blast with Horizon FW. The game keeps trowing you new and bigger machines to fight, and never felt too repetitive to me, because of enemy variety, the bow combat is really good and satisfying if you know what you doing. (exploiting weaknesses, stripping enemy weapons and use them against the machines, hitting weakpoints to kill them much faster, etc)

Just felt that the best mount comes too late in the game, its great to clean up sidequests, and activities, but for the main story only, becomes pretty useless.

Traversal in Spider-man is more fun though. But u could say the same if u put Spider-man vs 90% of all other open world games.
I also had a blast but it was a grind and I hated how many arrow types, damage types you have to juggle during the battle. Scanning, weakness type, select arrow, slow motion, shoot.
If the scanning was faster or not needed and there were less damage types.... there is no need for holy water or whatever that was.

There are 6 types of damage in zero Dawn and that was already too much. Whats the real difference between fire and shock? Or corruption and freeze? or tear and damage?! it makes no sense to have weaker tear arrow rip parts, rather than damge arrow.

And there are 11 types of damage in forbidden west. it's nuts.... acid, purgewater, fire... same fkn thing

Aenima

I also had a blast but it was a grind and I hated how many arrow types, damage types you have to juggle during the battle. Scanning, weakness type, select arrow, slow motion, shoot.
If the scanning was faster or not needed and there were less damage types.... there is no need for holy water or whatever that was.

There are 6 types of damage in zero Dawn and that was already too much. Whats the real difference between fire and shock? Or corruption and freeze? or tear and damage?! it makes no sense to have weaker tear arrow rip parts, rather than damge arrow.

And there are 11 types of damage in forbidden west. it's nuts.... acid, purgewater, fire... same fkn thing
I just ended using 2 bows, a precise long distance bow with break damage (Tear) to break the machines parts or remove they weapons in 1 shot, and medium hunting bow with physical damage, + 1 or 2 random elementals. Was enough to destroy every type of enemy and bosses. Most of the times just used the physical damage arrows as they are the cheapest to craft.

or tear and damage?!
All the diferent elementals are just usefull if you want to min max ur chances againt an enemy. Tear arrows dont cause actual health damage to the enemy, instead it breaks its armor or weapons much faster most times in 1 shot if u have a strong bow, while physical damege is to inflict damage and kill the enemy.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I just ended using 2 bows, a precise long distance bow with break damage to break the machines parts or remove they weapons in 1 shot, and medium hunting bow with physical damage, + 1 or 2 random elementals. Was enough to destroy every type of enemy and bosses. Most of the times just used the physical damage arrows as they are the cheapest to craft.
This proves that there is too much stuff if You dont need to use any of it.
Imo they should focus about tearing the parts off robots and then dealing damage. Fire for explosives, shock for exposed electronics and freeze to slow them down. And thats enough

I hope one day people look back on Miles Morales and realize that game’s completion length was nearly perfect.

It did not outstay it’s welcome like so, so many other open world games do. Even the original Insomniac Spider-Man started to feel too long in the final 4th of the game.

Aenima

This proves that there is too much stuff if You dont need to use any of it.
Imo they should focus about tearing the parts off robots and then dealing damage. Fire for explosives, shock for exposed electronics and freeze to slow them down. And thats enough
Probably more usefull in high dificulty runs. Just because thers so many types of ammo, dosent mean you have to use them all, its just more options to play the way you want with ur favorite type of ammo and weapon. Its an RPG, you can finish Elden Ring without using 90% of the diferent kinds of weapons in the game.

Warablo

Horizon Zero Dawn was fun for a first playthrough, but I don't know if I could stomach through it again with a sequel.

Mile Morales would be fun once I get that Spiderman craving back.

Last edited:

Ezekiel_

Banned
I loved both Spiderman and Miles Morales, maybe Miles more because it's story felt a bit more relatable.

I understand your criticism of Forbidden West, although for me it's saving grace is actually the combat. I don't care for the story or characters, but figuring out how to take a machine down, exploiting their weaknesses, get components from them etc is really fun. The gameplay is 'sticky' enough to make it enjoyable. Remember that you don't have to do all the side activity. You can stick to the golden path, and even skip dialog scenes.

I enjoyed Forbidden West but it was bloated. Could have done with half the amount of side content. Tall necks, Cauldrons and side quests are enough. I would have preferred it if they got rid of the rest and had a couple more Cauldrons and substantial side quests that actually add to the world.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Now give us your thoughts on halo infinite open world
I enjoyed that open world. There were things happening all over the map, plus all the vehicles were great to use. Not to mention the good Halo combat that it’s based on. And the grappling hook was fantastic.

Last edited:

Yoboman

Horizon combat would be better if they removed stealth elements and just forced you to fight everything head on

They are both passable open worlds. The issue with Horizon is that the traversal isnt very fun. Miles might have mediocre objectives, but moving around is a blast.

Open worlds need varied environments and discoverability (secrets, surprises) to remain compelling.

Banned
neither game does it especially well.

Spider-Man's game world is basically purely asthetic. there's nothing you can do in that game that isn't a main mission or side mission. and during missions your choice in how to approach them is usually also very limited... basically stealth or combat, and the stealth mechanics aren't very imaginative.
zero interactivity.

a waste of an open world basically.
Spider-Man has this "issue" if you will, that it almost needs to be open world because that's what the character needs in order to fully shine in a game.
but the actual open world in Spider-Man games is usually just a pretty backdrop with nothing to do in it except the typical Ubisoft stuff.

Horizon meanwhile is literally just the Ubisoft formula but not even on the level of the better Ubisoft games like Watch Dogs 2...
and the traversal is horrible due to the worst parcour system ever and a boring to traverse world.

Last edited:

SeraphJan

I like both game, apparently OP doesn't like AC games, you don't need to downplay one game to promote another, they both have their charm

Spiderman to me is more like Infamous meets Batman Arkham, which both are my favorite franchise, but I also like AC games especially AC2 and Origin, Horizon to me is an improved AC formula with even better visual thanks to its first party optimization, and robust ranged combat compare to its inspiration

Last edited:

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
I got out of the starter area and just “noped” right out of there. The combat wasn’t fun, the traversal was awful and the story was still garbage. But fuck me, that game is a beauty.
So you just got out of the 'starter area', and somehow already have a good grasp on the story and combat? Checks out.

diunxx

I didn't like MM at all, was disappointment about it being the same map, the open word is pretty much the same old Ubisoft style BS (same as Spiderman tbf) and the story was awful.

Haven't played Horizon 2 but it must be awful if MM is better.

sainraja

As a smart gamer, I have PS+ and its catalog of games. Sure, it’s missing key entries, but we can forgive Sony. They’re just getting their feet wet in what a good subscription service is.

I recently started and deleted Horizon Forbidden West. I got out of the starter area and just “noped” right out of there. The combat wasn’t fun, the traversal was awful and the story was still garbage. But fuck me, that game is a beauty.

Then I fired up Spider-Man:MM and this game is fun. The combat is fun, traversal is fast and the story has me hooked. It’s doing everything right. Its side quests are a blast, and even the mundane random events between objectives are fun to see through. And this game is still a looker too.

Horizon seriously needs to look at what other open world games are doing right. That series maps might be the most boring open worlds ever created. And worse, there’s nothing fun to do or explore between big areas.

Spider-Man 2 hopefully continues the trend of smart/fun gameplay, an open world map worth exploring and plenty of different small missions to complete.
I kind of agree. I am not feeling Forbidden West so much but loved Spider Man + Miles Morales.

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives

Your loss.

Top Bottom