• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spider-Man Remastered looks to be the second biggest launch for PS studios on Steam/PC - God of War still has the crown (at the moment)

Ywap

Considering the quality of Sonys games they deserve much higher numbers. Days Gone is criminally underrated imo.

I did my part and bought them all on PC at release. Some of the best purchases i've ever made 🥳

Doesnt mean much. Those impressive concurrent numbers for GOW translated into less than a million sales in 5 months and just a $26 million revenue for Sony after Valve's 30% cut.

If spiderman is below GOW then its probably going to be worse than that.

sony-playstation-pc-sales-740x416.jpg

For reference, Sony posted $25 BILLION in revenue from their console business in 2020.
Exactly this. They lose 30% to Steam and people can play COD for free on PC. Long term it's a bad strategy (particularly with MS buying Activision) as this will encourage all those players to just play on PC instead for much less money. Didn't they actually lose PS+ subs already last quarter?

Do they really think they can at some point create their store on PC? Many have tried...and failed.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Exactly this. They lose 30% to Steam and people can play COD for free on PC. Long term it's a bad strategy (particularly with MS buying Activision) as this will encourage all those players to just play on PC instead for much less money. Didn't they actually lose PS+ subs already last quarter?

Do they really think they can at some point create their store on PC? Many have tried...and failed.
MS tried and succeeded at creating a PC store and they eventually had to relent and agree to sell their games on Steam anyway. Reaching a bigger userbase is something every greedy exec chases to no avail. MS started putting games on PC in 2016 and their consoles sales and XBL fell off a cliff. Xbox ended up being outsold 2 to 1 according to their own court filings. Those 150 million Steam users didnt help Halo and Forza land in the top 20 last year, but that could be the gamepass effect.

I think Sony took the wrong lessons from MS. Despite putting their games on PC, MS still had to go out and pay $80 billion for Activision and Zenimax to remain competitive with Sony. In several court appearences and filings, they have continued to say that they never made a profit selling Xboxes and how gamepass is the only way they believe they can become profitable/compete with Sony. So clearly whatever the hell MS was doing last gen with PC didnt work for them so why follow their business practices that FAILED. Chasing GaaS, Gamepass subs, PC revenues did not bring MS the success they wanted and they had to go nuclear with the Activision purchase. Sony cant afford to do that.

Last edited:

James Sawyer Ford

Gold Member
MS tried and succeeded at creating a PC store and they eventually had to relent and agree to sell their games on Steam anyway. Reaching a bigger userbase is something every greedy exec chases to no avail. MS started putting games on PC in 2016 and their consoles sales and XBL fell off a cliff. Xbox ended up being outsold 2 to 1 according to their own court filings. Those 150 million Steam users didnt help Halo and Forza land in the top 20 last year, but that could be the gamepass effect.

I think Sony took the wrong lessons from MS. Despite putting their games on PC, MS still had to go out and pay $80 billion for Activision and Zenimax to remain competitive with Sony. In several court appearences and filings, they have continued to say that they never made a profit selling Xboxes and how gamepass is the only way they believe they can become profitable/compete with Sony. So clearly whatever the hell MS was doing last gen with PC didnt work for them so why follow their business practices that FAILED. Chasing GaaS, Gamepass subs, PC revenues did not bring MS the success they wanted and they had to go nuclear with the Activision purchase. Sony cant afford to do that.

Exactly

Sony should consider themselves the Apple of gaming

Completely closed platform

Want our AAA games? Buy the platform

sncvsrtoip

Doesnt mean much. Those impressive concurrent numbers for GOW translated into less than a million sales in 5 months and just a $26 million revenue for Sony after Valve's 30% cut.

If spiderman is below GOW then its probably going to be worse than that.

sony-playstation-pc-sales-740x416.jpg

For reference, Sony posted $25 BILLION in revenue from their console business in 2020.
Maybe they should reconsider future plans for Nixxes and give them a chance to create own ip for ps5

I don't think it will hurt them at all. Pcs and consoles are two different things, many people don't want to have a pc. And i bet those who have a gaming rig, would only buy a console + some exclusives, but no 3rd party games and no subscriptions, but that's what Sony wants. So they keep the pc guys on the pc, won't lose many people to pc, but gain the pc gamers that hate consoles. I think Sony will profit permanently from this move. Games are getting more and more expensive and this will help.

Sony makes their money off 3rd party licensing. They make games themselves to have more exclusives, so people buy their console and 3rd party games on their system.

It doesn't make sense to release games day 1 on PC because it's a short term outlook on profit and it hurts their brand. Especially considering they can't market the game as "Playstation exclusive".

Last edited:

clarky

Banned
Given that it's a Spider-Man we're talking about I would have expected 100-150k concurrent players.
its a fairly old game though that sold a ton last gen and had a remaster. id wager a good portion of pc gamers have played this at some point already (myself included). Might pick it up on sale at some point though, be nice to have in the library.

Last edited:
Sony makes their money off 3rd party licensing. They make games themselves to have more exclusives, so people buy their console and 3rd party games on their system.

It doesn't make sense to release games day 1 on PC because it's a short term outlook on profit. Especially considering they can't market the game as "Playstation exclusive"

Yeah there are a lot of reasons day and date on pc doesn’t make sense, extra resources for multiplatform optimization, pirating, splitting profits with epic and steam, leading people off their platform for 3rd party spending….etc

I’m sure sony are more than happy to make a couple hundred thousand per game for these older ports that hit max sales saturation.

The day and date cult will get their victory when one of sonys GAAS titles is announced for PC/PS5 for simultaneous release though.

Last edited:
I'm still surprised Sony is fine with their single player games being cracked day 1, seems very out of character for them, given their past.

To me this will obviously push them even more into the direction of GaaS games, pretty much the only thing I feared from all the PC ports.

Last edited:

clarky

Banned
I'm still surprised Sony is fine with their single player games being cracked day 1. Seems very out of character for them.

To me this will obviously push them even more into the direction of GaaS games, pretty much the only thing I feared from the PC ports.
Is pc piracy still as big as it used to be? Seemed to me since the birth of digital distribution that scene died down a lot. Maybe im out of touch i dont pay attention to that side of things.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

Given that it's a Spider-Man we're talking about I would have expected 100-150k concurrent players.
why? pc audience is no the same as console audience. they rather have cult of the lamb than spiderman. different markets. i said it form day one, spider man wasnt going to sell as much as the other two. its an amazing game, but whats gonna sell on PC are the native ps5 games like returnal and demons souls...IF they come, but returnal is already rumored and has leaked screenshots and shit so itll come.

Is pc piracy still as big as it used to be? Seemed to me since the birth of digital distribution that scene died down a lot. Maybe im out of touch i dont pay attention to that side of things.
For single player games that get cracked on release it's certainly big, very easy to verify that.

ClosBSAS

denuvo stopped it a lot, of course its still rampant. but piracy dont mean shit these days. game is high priced, no regional pricing, 4 years old..i mean there are other factors other than piracy, but yes, denuvo pushed pirates back a lot, at least fort me. ever since denuvo came out, i buy every single game lol cause i cant wait.

denuvo stopped it a lot, of course its still rampant. but piracy dont mean shit these days. game is high priced, no regional pricing, 4 years old..i mean there are other factors other than piracy, but yes, denuvo pushed pirates back a lot, at least fort me. ever since denuvo came out, i buy every single game lol cause i cant wait.
As far as I know not a single Sony game so far had Denuvo and they were all cracked day one or close to it. With Sony story with DRM this is really weird, they went out of their way to fight piracy even on the Vita yet don't seem to care about it on PC now even when there is a obvious solution out there (Denuvo).

Last edited:
im also not sure why people are using just concurrent player counts to = sales? Or even referencing Cult of The Lamb

Spider-man is the best selling game on PC and probably will be for a while

Stuart360

Those are surprisingly low numbers.
They are actually very solid for a new AAA game on Steam ,and i'm talking a brand new AAA gamethere, not a port of a 2 year old game.
Poeple need to realize that games start lower on PC but have much longer legs than consoles where console sales start huge but then drop off a cliff after a couple of weeks.
The reason being that PC users are not living 'game to game' like console users. Half the people that bought Spiderman probably havent even downloaded the game yet, nevermind booted it. They are too busy playing the 10 other games they have installed already.

You cant compare a game like this to something like PUBG or Dota 2, games that have literally sold tens of millions of copies.

60k+ peak users is very solid for a new AAA game on Steam.

why? pc audience is no the same as console audience. they rather have cult of the lamb than spiderman. different markets. i said it form day one, spider man wasnt going to sell as much as the other two. its an amazing game, but whats gonna sell on PC are the native ps5 games like returnal and demons souls...IF they come, but returnal is already rumored and has leaked screenshots and shit so itll come.

Still rather disappointing for an IP as huge as Spider-Man.
But I guess it might still sell in millions, especially with a 30-50% discount.

rofif

Banned
im also not sure why people are using just concurrent player counts to = sales? Or even referencing Cult of The Lamb

Spider-man is the best selling game on PC and probably will be for a while

Steam Deck keep selling but they have only realized 15 first days of pre orders... LAST YEAR !!!

Guilty_AI

MS started putting games on PC in 2016 and their consoles sales and XBL fell off a cliff.
You're mixing the balls here, Xone was already selling poorly compared to ps4 from before that. You could argue them putting their games on PC was actually because they were doing bad numbers and had to change strategies (probably preparing for their gamepass approach)

Last edited:

JackSparr0w

Banned
Exactly

Sony should consider themselves the Apple of gaming

Completely closed platform

Want our AAA games? Buy the platform
Can't see the PS5 selling more than 70-80m this gen and I'm sure Sony can see the writing on the wall.

The wise thing for Sony to do is to release their upcoming live service games day one on PC since its the biggest core gaming platform and PC gamers like those kind of games.

Last edited:

ClosBSAS

As far as I know not a single Sony game so far had Denuvo and they were all cracked day one or close to it. With Sony story with DRM this is really weird, they went out of their way to fight piracy even on the Vita yet don't seem to care about it on PC now even when there is a obvious solution out there (Denuvo).
probably cause they arent in it for the initial sales but rather the long haul...in long terms, pc sales will keep on giving years and years after release so why get your customers mad with denuvo. at some point, at 5 dollars that guy that pirated the game will probably buy it cause he can finally affford it lol.

Stuart360

Can't see the PS5 selling more than 70-80m this gen and I'm sure Sony can see the writing on the wall.

The wise thing for Sony to do is to release their upcoming live service games day one on PC since its the biggest core gaming platform and PC gamers like those kind of games.
Nah i think PS5 will still hit 100mil this gen, unl;ess you're thinkng the chip shortages will last the whole gen.

Last edited:

clarky

Banned
Guess im out of touch. Games seem to sell a bunch on steam these day the pc market seems to be in a fairly health state.

Games get cracked, its unstoppable always has been. Looks like Sony isnt too bothered by it, a few extra million sales to there old ip for not that much risk seems like a win win for them regardless.

Stuart360

Yeah some of Steams biggest selling games had no DRM. In fact your more likel;y to get higher sales for a AAA game on Steam if you have no DRM as there are tons of people that wont buy a drm riddled game out of principle. And that isnt pirates lying or something, you often see a game shoot up the charts after devs have removed Denuvo from a game.

JackSparr0w

Banned
Guess im out of touch. Games seem to sell a bunch on steam these day the pc market seems to be in a fairly health state.

Games get cracked, its unstoppable always has been. Looks like Sony isnt too bothered by it, a few extra million sales to there old ip for not that much risk seems like a win win for them regardless.
You're not at all PC gaming is thriving breaking record after record every year and is now the main platform of most big developers including Capcom, Fromsoft, Sega and even Ubisoft.

It's just that old Sony cinematic games is not what PC gamers want.

You're not at all PC gaming is thriving breaking record after record every year and is now the main platform of most big developers including Capcom, Fromsoft, Sega and even Ubisoft.

It's just that old Sony cinematic games is not what PC gamers want.
These Sony releases aren't doing that much worse than Resident Evil VIII and seem to be doing much better than any Sega or Ubisoft games I could think off.

Elden Ring is on a completely different level when it comes to the current players metric but it's a game that has more than just a single player component.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Times changed, piracy on PC has always been a service problem. People didn't pirate games because they were free, they pirated because downloading stuff from the net was more convenient than going out to buy a game that might not even be available. Add to that how insanely high game prices were on poorer countries and piracy was a thing.

Nowadays, its easy to buy games on PC, with fast download speeds + a bunch of convenient features launchers usually offer your and regional pricing, there isn't much reason to pirate stuff anymore.

Times changed, piracy on PC has always been a service problem. People didn't pirate games because they were free, they pirated because downloading stuff from the net was more convenient than going out to buy a game that might not even be available. Add to that how insanely high game prices were on poorer countries and piracy was a thing.

Nowadays, its easy to buy games on PC, with fast download speeds + a bunch of convenient features launchers usually offer your and regional pricing, there isn't much reason to pirate stuff anymore.
As I've said, single player games are still massively pirated (specially those cracked day one), what people don't pirate are GaaS games... now look at the PC market, it's all about multiplayer for that exact reason.

My conclusion is that Sony is only making way for all the future GaaS they are investing on and that they hope will be huge on PC.

Last edited:
alllllsoooooo, im not sure why people think spider-man is a bigger gaming IP than God of War. God of War 2018 has sold just as much as Spider-man 2018, (around 21 million after pc sales) and its rated far higher critically. God of War sold 3.1m at launch compared to Spider-man selling 3.3m

Spider-man is big but its a the definition of a playstation game, same with God of War and Spider-man is more expensive.

I wouldn’t be surprised if something like Returnal ends up doing similar numbers just because of the type of game it is, a game that even looks like it would benefit form keyboard and mouse

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

As I've said, single player games are still massively pirated (specially those cracked day one), what people don't pirate are GaaS games... now look at the PC market, it's all about multiplayer.
"Massively pirated" (we don't have proper data to confirm how much they're really pirated or how much that is actually affecting sales), but the fact is in a fair scenario with day and date release with console versions, pc versions sell almost as much as ps4/5 versions, in some cases even more.

Last edited:

Warablo

PC gamers when that new PS game drops on steam.

kristenbell-crying.gif

Steam user OhLookaDimeYT wrote:

"This is probably the best PC port of a PlayStation game to date. Not to mention THE best Spider-Man created to date. If you are reading this, you need this game in your library."
Spiderman 2 is easily the best Spiderman game

"Massively pirated" (we don't have proper data to confirm how much they're really pirated or how much that is actually affecting sales), but the fact is in a fair scenario with day and date release with console versions, pc versions sell almost as much as ps5 versions, in some cases even more.
Yes we do, it's not hard to find out, if you don't know where to look for the info that's on you.

Guilty_AI

Yes we do, it's not hard to find out, if you don't know where to look for the info that's on you.
are you suggesting i should comb through dozens of pirate sites comparing numbers, even though some of those don't even show them? And how do we know how much of those numbers would be by people who'd actually buy the game if not given the choice?

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
As I've said, single player games are still massively pirated (specially those cracked day one), what people don't pirate are GaaS games... now look at the PC market, it's all about multiplayer.

Elden Ring was cracked day 1 on PC and it outsold the PS version.

What people are not considering here, is many PC gamers also have consoles. A lot of us already played it. People also aren't taking into account that it costs peanuts to port a game vs building it from the ground up so ROI is way higher on a late pc port.

Graciaus

As I've said, single player games are still massively pirated (specially those cracked day one), what people don't pirate are GaaS games... now look at the PC market, it's all about multiplayer for that exact reason.

My conclusion is that Sony is only making way for all the future GaaS they are investing on and that they hope will be huge on PC.
Piracy doesn't equal a lost sale. Games are cheaper on PC day one than consoles. If you are willing to wait a couple months they'll be even cheaper. A pirate either wanted to try before buying or was never going to buy it in the first place.

are you suggesting i should go through dozens of pirate sites comparing numbers, even though some of those don't even show them?
You can go to any general tracker and look at what is at the top of the charts, it going to be Spider-Man, same thing happened with God of War. So unless you want to tell me that movie/show pirating isn't a thing anymore how would you explain that?

Elden Ring was cracked day 1 on PC and it outsold the PS version.

What people are not considering here, is many PC gamers also have consoles. A lot of us already played it. People also aren't taking into account that it costs peanuts to port a game vs building it from the ground up so ROI is way higher on a late pc port.
Elden Ring has an online component and it was probably heavily pirated as well regardless of the massive success that it was.

Piracy doesn't equal a lost sale. Games are cheaper on PC day one than consoles. If you are willing to wait a couple months they'll be even cheaper. A pirate either wanted to try before buying or was never going to buy it in the first place.
Why does Sony bother with fighting piracy on their system (including dead systems like the Vita for years) yet doesn't care about doing the same on PC when there is an easy solution? I don't know the answer, but denying piracy is still a huge issue on PC is absurd.

The thing about pirates just wanting to try is so absurd that it's not even worth an answer. The entire PC market revolves around fighting piracy.

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

You can go to any general tracker and look at what is at the top of the charts, it going to be Spider-Man, same thing happened with God of War. So unless you want to tell me that movie/show pirating isn't a thing anymore how would you explain that?
Where is this general tracker and how do i know its numbers are accurate?

Or you could post a link, because this isn't something i can find with a 5 minute google search, and i know full well tracking piracy numbers isn't a trivial thing to do.
Why don't you find the link yourself and post here so you can get banned instead of me?

Last edited:

Guilty_AI

Why don't you find the link yourself and post here so you can get banned instead of me?
Are you telling me you're using some random piracy site or torrent to know the numbers? That is not a trustworthy source of information. Not to mention i don't even know which one you'd use since there is no central "piracy hub" without pirate bay.

Last edited:
Top Bottom