• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman 2’s writing

Not sure why i havent seen anyone say this and maybe its just that im the only one who feels this way but i think this game has some really poor writing in some cases. There were more than a few instances where i felt like the writing lacked a certain punch or impact in a lot of heavy emotional moments and some of the humor falls real flat imo.

I understand the classic Spidey quips can be cheesy but usually always in a good way and some of it in this game just feels very cringe and fails to land in some cases for me. And sometimes i wonder if some of these character models particularly Pete MJ & Harry that have a very sort of dare i say generic look to them makes it difficult for me to feel endeared to them.

To be perfectly honest i thought Spidey 1’s initial Pete character model was better and for some reason i cared more about the character in the first game. Felt like a unique version of Pete where i couldnt really cite any comparisons aesthetically and i liked that. This new model is obviously meant to look more like Tom Holland and something about that just feels lazy and lame to me . Also Mj is very bland looking and Harry is very plain looking as well.

There are some much better character models in the game and almost none of them are as important as these particular characters. I know Pete was in Miles Morales but his appearances are very brief and this is the first game where im largely experiencing this new look and i guess it just feels off for me like its a whole new character almost.

With all this being said i honestly did enjoy the hell out of this game and there are some truly amazing moments in it and the gameplay/animation really is next level and fantastic. Obviously the side missions are either trash or some menial task i dont think anyone would debate that but yeah like i said the writing isnt as good as it could be in my mind. I do think there is a next level of quality these games could achieve in this area. Thats all thanks for reading if you made it through this tangent. Ironic that im complaining about writing and mine is so all over the place. 😅

Last edited:

GymWolf

Were there ? I checked and didnt see any before i posted.
Latest one is the topic about miles taking the place of peter, then i think we had one about how woke the game is but i could be wrong, maybe it was just the graphical fidelity topic and the ot itself.

Last edited:
Ai going to save us all. Future games with Memes, jokes and pop culture refrences for everyone tailored to your specific world view.

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
gzG0lMP.jpg

tommib

I genuinely could not get past Peter's new face in the remaster. Can't comment on the writing in part 2 but his face is a giant distraction for me.
I don’t get this complain. It’s one of the few things that makes me play these games. The guy’s handsome. I know you’re not gay, but still that’s one handsome young man.

And he looks like what my imagination would come up for Peter Parker. Also, those glutes.

I wont say what it is but some of the more emotional scenes that I saw yesterday felt very forced and fake, writing wise. Obviously Spiderman is going o tell the same story over an over in different ways but it doesn't feeel as natural as the first game for some reason.

And of course, Pete looks like shit. I'll buy this again on PC in a couple years once someone makes an original face mod.

But besides the characters, the web swinging is borderline mind blowing and I can't believe they finally put other boruoughs in the game.

I'm emotionally torn.

StueyDuck

It's genuinely the worst written game this year and that says alot because forspoken came out this year.

And no not just the woke stuff, just in general, I can't believe how Bland, lifeless and soulless the story is, it says nothing, it shows nothing and it's clearly written by a committee of people who either dislike or don't care about the franchise. It is such a sad 180 compared to the first game, which really had so much heart and almost brought a you to tears with its ending for both the hero and the villain

Now I have only gotten to the part that is at the Sony showcase where you are chasing Conners. Maybe the game picks up from here, but spiderman ps4 had a much much better story and as a surprise to no one, was written by an entirely different team.

Even the side collectibles are just pure wank, the first one had nice moments with the characters, learning more about Peter's history or whatever the case may be.

How the fuck the game got such high reviews really shocks me. It's awesome to play yes but a game is the sum of all its parts and the story is just not even up to normal standards let alone good in any way

Last edited:

GymWolf

It's genuinely the worst written game this year and that says alot because forspoken came out this year.

And no not just the woke stuff, just in general, I can't believe how Bland, lifeless and soulless the story is, it says nothing, it shows nothing and it's clearly written by a committee of people who either dislike or don't care about the franchise.

Now I have only gotten to the part that is at the Sony showcase where you are chasing Conners. Maybe the game picks up from here, but spiderman ps4 had a much much better story and as a surprise to no one, was written by an entirely different team.

Even the side collectibles are just pure wank, the first one had nice moments with the characters, learning more about Peter's history or whatever the case may be.
Writing gets even worse after the lizard chase, prepare to cringe HARD or to grow a man clit (in case you like it)

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I don’t get this complain. It’s one of the few things that makes me play these games. The guy’s handsome. I know you’re not gay, but still that’s one handsome young man.

And he looks like what my imagination would come up for Peter Parker. Also, those glutes.
I don't think he's ugly. He looks like Tom Holland without paying for the rights for Tom Holland.

I just don't think his face emotes very well, and seems kind of fixed in place. I don't think it's really that fitting for the Insomniac version of Peter seen in the first game that is kind of a down on his luck homeless shelter volunteer dude. I also think he looks awkwardly way too young for the role, especially if they're emphasizing him as a mentor for Miles and considering retiring. And I just can't break the weirdness when I hear the voice, since it doesn't match what I played before at all.

Yeah it’s drivel dude. Just wacky comic book nonsense. It’s even more puzzling because it seems the writers actually think they’re doing something with this script. You have to remember when you hear lines like “goodbye world.. hello planet goo…” said seriously that it’s written for a younger and broader audience. Especially the former. Not to be mean but let’s just say it’s not written for members of Mensa.

Doesn’t help that they switched up the writing team so it’s a massive and noticeable downgrade from the first game. The scream boss fight genuinely probably has some of the worst dialogue writing I’ve seen in a big budget production in any art form in I don’t know how long

I think you can have great writing in media for a general audience. I can think of countless examples across film, tv and gaming. But basically you have to write off just about anything thats for a young audience of kids. It’s just going to be dogshit to your taste and sensibilities. Just the way it is. The only exception I can think of currently is The Incredibles (2004). And don’t get me wrong I don’t even take myself that seriously, I love stuff like transformers or fast and furious (SOME of them) but this game is just mass market corporate slop.

I scratch my head so hard I could make a bald spot when I hear “yeah the Batman games are better as games but the writing in Spider-Man is better than Arkham”. Cause to me arkham wipes the floor with this stuff

GymWolf

Yeah it’s drivel dude. Just wacky comic book nonsense. It’s even more puzzling because it seems the writers actually think they’re doing something with this script. You have to remember when you hear lines like “goodbye world.. hello planet goo…” said seriously that it’s written for a younger and broader audience. Especially the former. Not to be mean but let’s just say it’s not written for members of Mensa.

Doesn’t help that they switched up the writing team so it’s a massive and noticeable downgrade from the first game. The scream boss fight genuinely probably has some of the worst dialogue writing I’ve seen in a big budget production in any art form in I don’t know how long

I think you can have great writing in media for a general audience. I can think of countless examples across film, tv and gaming. But basically you have to write off just about anything thats for a young audience of kids. It’s just going to be dogshit to your taste and sensibilities. Just the way it is. The only exception I can think of currently is The Incredibles (2004). And don’t get me wrong I don’t even take myself that seriously, I love stuff like transformers or fast and furious (SOME of them) but this game is just mass market corporate slop.

I scratch my head so hard I could make a bald spot when I hear “yeah the Batman games are better as games but the writing in Spider-Man is better than Arkham”. Cause to me arkham wipes the floor with this stuff
I think all the parts with otto in the first game were the best part, they were the only fully serious without jokes that could rival batman more darker tone.

Man, I actually couldn't get past the beginning of Miles Morales because the writing made me cringe so much. I was thinking maybe I'm too old for the game or something.

Devs might start needing to add a gameplay only mode.
Gonna echo the same sentiment. I think I’m a little too old for the post SM1 Spider-Man games

There has to have been some market research they did that showed the first game was big with like little kids and/or 10-12 year olds and they adjusted or something

Klosshufvud

The new Ratchet & Clank had the same issue. Its obsession with being as inoffensive and "positive" as possible almost came off as insulting to me. Do these writers really think that lowly of their audience? R&C had the most redundant and non-entertaining writing ever. Insomniac has a pretty big problem within its writing staff. I'd argue most of Sony's studios do, actually.

Flutta

Banned
I just don’t understand. Is the resetera audience such a massive demographic of the game buying audience that everything needs to be tailor made for them?
Nah people still don’t seem to get it. They want to turns us all into resetera audience.

You don’t usually see companies
willing to lose so much money to deliver a message. Disney is a prime example. This is beyond some mentally ill devs wanting to push an idea. This is way bigger. It’s elite type level big. We talking George Soros, Black rock type big.

Like they always say, follow the money.

Last edited:
Nah people still don’t seem to get it. They want to turns us all into resetera audience.

You don’t usually see companies
willing to lose so much money to deliver a message. Disney is a prime example. This is beyond some mentally ill devs wanting to push an idea. This is way bigger. It’s elite type level big. We talking George Soros, Black rock type big.

Like they always say, follow the money.
Sooooo my hopes of the pendulum ever shifting back to the pre 2017, pre Anita sarkiseen days are dead?

Last edited:

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Ai going to save us all. Future games with Memes, jokes and pop culture refrences for everyone tailored to your specific world view.
Why stop there? Give it 25 years and we’ll be playing brand new games literally being created in real-time tailored to our exact personal tastes. Bet that shit will happen in less than 15 years for movies/TV.

StueyDuck

Because the people writing this dreck are the same age as the people reviewing it
It doesn’t shock me at all, people are obsessed with shitty ass Marvel movies so of course Marvel games also going to get same treatment.

It really makes me appreciate (and sad about) the guardians of the galaxy game, that gem of a title had a great story, great production values and really was a top tier marvel game. waaaaaay better than SM2, maybe equal with SM1 but it's hard to say because they really are different games.

shame for eidos montreal though and us probably not getting a sequel

mrmustard

Banned
How the fuck the game got such high reviews really shocks me. It's awesome to play yes but a game is the sum of all its parts and the story is just not even up to normal standards let alone good in any way
Maybe some extra points for wokeness and some extra points from fanmagazines. To me it doesn't matter if a game has 85 or 90., there is little to no difference anyways. It's just in the heads of people that the 90 is something special. Fanboys be like "Banger, MEGAHIT, masterpiece" and other people expect much more from a 90+ game than from a high 80s game and often end up disappointed. I think with a 89 we wouldn't have that much drama about this game.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
It really makes me appreciate (and sad about) the guardians of the galaxy game, that gem of a title had a great story, great production values and really was a top tier marvel game. waaaaaay better than SM2, maybe equal with SM1 but it's hard to say because they really are different games.

shame for eidos montreal though and us probably not getting a sequel

Yup. Guardians, SM1 and Arkham Asylum/Origins are my go to's for the best superhero games

Recently replayed Guardians and yeah, writing quality is beyond night and day when compared to Insomniacs current output.

Top Bottom