• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman 2’s writing

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
The only thing this game needed to be a perfect 10/10 was Bruce Campbell snarkily narrating everything you do. I have no idea how they fumbled so badly. 2/10

StueyDuck

Maybe some extra points for wokeness and some extra points from fanmagazines. To me it doesn't matter if a game has 85 or 90., there is little to no difference anyways. It's just in the heads of people that the 90 is something special. Fanboys be like "Banger, MEGAHIT, masterpiece" and other people expect much more from a 90+ game than from a high 80s game and often end up disappointed. I think with a 89 we wouldn't have that much drama about this game.
90s should be special though, i agree that games media are shit but we really do let them all get away with pure mediocrity. if i had known the story was this shit before launch i would of definitely got this on a sale and started AW2 instead

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
oof-damn.gif
This gif will never stop being good

Fredrik

I just don’t understand. Is the resetera audience such a massive demographic of the game buying audience that everything needs to be tailor made for them?
It’s a small but vocal group. And that’s enough today because nobody want to have an angry Twitter mob destroying the PR. They pull the victim card all the time but act like extreme bullies and you can’t be critical because they’ll twist everything you say and will likely ruin your life if they can without feeling bad about it. So everybody just put on a fake smile and pretend nothing is out of the ordinary while going along with the absurdity.

mrmustard

Banned
90s should be special though, i agree that games media are shit but we really do let them all get away with pure mediocrity. if i had known the story was this shit before launch i would of definitely got this on a sale and started AW2 instead
It's easier if you change your mind to 94 or 95+. Low 90s are no different than high 80s. All very good games, but not exceptional games.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
It really makes me appreciate (and sad about) the guardians of the galaxy game, that gem of a title had a great story, great production values and really was a top tier marvel game. waaaaaay better than SM2, maybe equal with SM1 but it's hard to say because they really are different games.

shame for eidos montreal though and us probably not getting a sequel
I'm sorry, I have no love for anything Marvel......NONE OF THEM!

As far as I'm concerned..

I'm finding Peter's parts fun if cheesy and somewhat cringey (but a "cute" kind of cringey like, for example, Spiderman's newspaper comics) and Miles' parts annoying and preachy. Miles is OK enough, even though he is as engaging as a wet paper towel and has half the personality. The problem are the NPCs that float around him. They're all super 2023 and I can't manage to like them.

The EU Spanish localization though... while the voice actors themselves are the usual pros and their work is spotless, there are a couple sore spots. First the jarring usage of "gender neutral" (something that doesn't naturally exist in this language) terms to refer to a nonbinary character, which sounds super unnatural and forced by the voice actors. Secondly, at one point Spidey uses a joke by a Spanish comedian that was wildly (and I do mean wildly: he was absolutely everywhere) popular in the 90s. He hasn't been relevant since then. I did get the joke because I'm old and it made me physically cringe in second hand embarrasment. 90% of the intended playerbase will have it fly over their heads.

I just don’t understand. Is the resetera audience such a massive demographic of the game buying audience that everything needs to be tailor made for them?
It is all about money. Blackrock and its CEO Larry Fink created the ESG rating for businesses all over the world, and they gather the most points by ranking high in the social aspect of the system. Even when they lose money by appealing to minority groups, they secure their business future. Companies don't really give a damn about what groups are on their side, they are on the side of money.

If you never heard the Blackrock (old Blackstone), Vanguard, and State Street, then you probably haven't been following the flow of money in general since the early 2000s. It is a really interesting topic but it concerns politics, and here we don't discuss politics, we discuss games. If I were you I'd take a look into it just for the sake of knowledge.

If mods think this comment should be deleted, I'll gladly oblige.

NeoIkaruGAF

Gold Member
Because the people writing this dreck are the same mental age as the people reviewing it
FTFY.

They probably think a darker, more realistic tone would be tantamount to aggression towards the audience or something.

I think with a 89 we wouldn't have that much drama about this game.
Nah, we’d just witness a very different kind of drama.
PlayStation desperately needed their holiday title to score higher than 90 (not that a single idiot on Earth could ever seriously think it could score lower).

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Just saw this on YT shorts, the difference in tone compared to 2 is pretty obv. And the way they removed the cops and interactions with them is just one of the problems with this game. Spiderman always had moments with cops and always worked with them or helped them.

"Do you remember timeless classics like Spider-Man and God of War fondly? Then we aren't doing enough work yet!"
yeah, my question is, how in the fuckin' world were they able to make those games without sweet baby? beginners luck, maybe? nah, that can't be it...

ironically, the year that both those games released is the same year that sweet baby was created (2018). santa monica studio was founded 24 years ago, while insomniac was founded 5 years before that. i mean, just think about it - so many frustrating years of struggle, just waiting for sweet baby to arrive & show them the path to enlightened game development...

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'd still check GotG if you get the chance. I detest most of the Marvel junk that's colored the past decade but I thought GotG was genuinely fantastic.

It has good writing, for one.
And people told me Guardian of the galaxy were good movies…..never again! Sorry I just can’t….I feel like i want to puke every time I hear any dialogue from them.

Last edited:
I'm old school, I prefer gameplay to story, and IMO, SM2 has better gameplay than the first game.

I don't usually cry over the internet if I don't like something, the good thing is, I'm able to trade or return games I don't like, that's it.

One of the best things they made was Venom, and made him playable for at least 20 min or so, and a lot of people are going CRAZY about it.

Last edited:

Hoddi

And people told Guardian of the galaxy were good movies…..never again! Sorry I just can’t….I feel like i want to puke every time I hear any dialogue from them.
I'm no fan of the GotG movies either for what it's worth. I just think the game is like the movies if the movies had good dialog.

But, really, if this tickles your funny bone then I'd say it's worth giving a shot. If not then just ignore it.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I don’t get this complain. It’s one of the few things that makes me play these games. The guy’s handsome. I know you’re not gay, but still that’s one handsome young man.

And he looks like what my imagination would come up for Peter Parker. Also, those glutes.
I think it's bizarre and jarring to radically change the face of the character you've been playing as for dozens of hours through a random patch.

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
GOTG was my GOTY 2021. Too bad we won't get a sequel, truly a hidden gem.

Was my GOTY as well. One of those weird COVID times game experiences where it hits in a weird different way. I dunno, I’m a non Marvel guy but I love the fucking games and this one nailed it out the fucking ass.

I'm old school, I prefer gameplay to story, and IMO, SM2 has better gameplay than the first game.

I don't usually cry over the internet if I don't like something, the good thing is, I'm able to trade or return games I don't like, that's it.

One of the best things they made was Venom, and made him playable for at least 20 min or so, and a lot of people are going CRAZY about it.
Lol whos crying ? This is a gaming forum lol sharing an opinion is kind of the point brother 😅 And i agree gameplay is king but i still love a good story and obviously this is what this game sets out to achieve and in some ways i think it fails and in more ways than not i think it succeeds. But being a member of a gaming forum and not being opinionated is kinda wild 😂 To each their own though

Last edited:

mrmustard

Banned
There are 3 groups of people:

Those who consume anything without caring or using a single braincell (vast majority of the gamers)
Those who love and demand woke content (very loud minority)
Those who have a critical look at something (stay in their gaming forums)

As dev and reviewer you do what's best for you......

Last edited:

StueyDuck

It's genuinely the worst written game this year and that says alot because forspoken came out this year.

And no not just the woke stuff, just in general, I can't believe how Bland, lifeless and soulless the story is, it says nothing, it shows nothing and it's clearly written by a committee of people who either dislike or don't care about the franchise. It is such a sad 180 compared to the first game, which really had so much heart and almost brought a you to tears with its ending for both the hero and the villain

Now I have only gotten to the part that is at the Sony showcase where you are chasing Conners. Maybe the game picks up from here, but spiderman ps4 had a much much better story and as a surprise to no one, was written by an entirely different team.

Even the side collectibles are just pure wank, the first one had nice moments with the characters, learning more about Peter's history or whatever the case may be.

How the fuck the game got such high reviews really shocks me. It's awesome to play yes but a game is the sum of all its parts and the story is just not even up to normal standards let alone good in any way
so bit of an update, got a bit further.

still terrible.

the way they introduce and gloss over how the symbiote is introduced to the game is one of the dumbest things in gaming. Literally a forspoken "oh i have an alien now, i do that now" joke is made and the rest of the characters respond much the same. The explanation for how they came across it is also so half arsed and pathetic.

Still need to finish it, I am very much struggling to stick with it to the end, at this point i've essentially got all the upgrades and move sets so gameplay wise i've achieved all there is to be seen and done, now it's purely for story and it's so hard to carry on when it's this bad.

Last edited:

sigmaZ

It felt like a lot of the content was heavy virtue signaling. Usually I don't give a crap about inclusion and such, but it's really cringe in this game. Trying to make me tour a virtual showcase of African American music history (which I refused to look at a single booth). I didn't know I was playing Carmen Sandiego over here.
The other cringe aspect was the really awkward dialog in the emotional scenes that felt really oddly written or badly timed (a lot of which are spoilers so I won't go into).
At the end of the day I don't play for the story but since there's so much of it I was I didn't feel the need to wince as much.

Last edited:

Lokaum D+

I'm no fan of the GotG movies either for what it's worth. I just think the game is like the movies if the movies had good dialog.

But, really, if this tickles your funny bone then I'd say it's worth giving a shot. If not then just ignore it.

man, this game was on my top 5 games played on 2022, very underated game.

Trilobit

OP, I agree with your take on the face models. Our faces are a big part of what define us. So much of our personality is filtered through them. In visual mediums like games, movies and shows I feel that the face is very important. That doesn't mean that someone must be handsome or beautiful, Peter wasn't super good looking in the traditional sense, but the face fit the character.

Or the face needs to be striking. Many actors actually look a bit weird irl, but the camera loves them. One thing I really loved in the Apple show Severance was the casting choices. Many actors and actresses in that show have striking features that really enhance their characters.

Severance-Cast-Apple-TV-Plus.jpg

Making a fierce character like MJ look so plain was a poor "casting" choice. She did not have to look like a super model, but she should have had the right facial features for that kind of woman. Changing the mature look of Peter into the too youthful one in Miles Morales was another poor decision. It completely altered my perception of his persona and his relationship to Miles.

I'm right now looking at a Let's Play of Alan Wake 2 and amazed by what faces they decided to go with. I am not a shallow person, I'm just well aware of how we as human beings are wired, especially when it comes to portrayals.

Last edited:

Camreezie

- Playable Deaf love interest graffiti segments
- Side mission asking guys boyfriend to homecoming
- "Bipoc" artists of colour graffiti
- Black Cat is a lesbian now
- Self insert head writer being the face of MJ
- Tour of black music history museum in Harlem

Why is a marvel superhero game so woke 😂

hinch7

They intentionally made Peter a little bitch in this one for several reasons. Makes me a little tepid over Wolverine and I'm genuinely excited for that.

Certinty

Honestly thought the writing was pretty great up until the final act. Though saying that, the symbiote arc with Peter is far too short with too much of a sudden personality turn, needed more development and a gradual change.

But yeah, the final act has horrific writing. Just thinking about it pains me.

Unfortunately, it seems that way and will probably just get worse.
Between this and WB games just saying they’re doubling down on live service garbage it is so depressing being a (non casual) gamer. Someone who sees games as art with high potential to be compelling and awesome.

We have companies outsourcing writing to companies literally to make their scripts more woke. We have companies prioritizing profits over players by venerating multiplayer live service money grubbing garbage even after the reception to Suicide Squad. I can’t believe it. I’ve been gaming since I was knee high with my older brother. I never thought it would turn to this. Just destroyed by capitalism in a way I’ve never seen an industry get shit on before.

Must games I play are older games from years and years ago. Maybe I need a new hobby. It’s getting to where almost no new game appeals to me. Last 3 games I played and loved that weren’t remakes were TOTK, GOWR, and Elden Ring. That’s it

Last edited:

JayK47

I guess the only way things will change is if we stop buying this garbage. But as was pointed out in another thread, we can't help ourselves and we indulge in this safe comfort junk food for the brain. We are to blame for continually buying the next game, no matter how bad it is.

Top Bottom