• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spiderman 2’s writing

I guess the only way things will change is if we stop buying this garbage. But as was pointed out in another thread, we can't help ourselves and we indulge in this safe comfort junk food for the brain. We are to blame for continually buying the next game, no matter how bad it is.
I skipped Spider-Man 2

But if COD and sports games have taught us anything, it’s for every one person who jumps off there’s 100 normies and children waiting to jump right in

Last edited:
nrD5Q3L.png

One of the biggest head writers of Spider-Man 2
Wolverine as well!?!??!
star wars no GIF

hinch7

Between this and WB games just saying they’re doubling down on live service garbage it is so depressing being a (non casual) gamer. Someone who sees games as art with high potential to be compelling and awesome.

We have companies outsourcing writing to companies literally to make their scripts more woke. We have companies prioritizing profits over players by venerating multiplayer live service money grubbing garbage even after the reception to Suicide Squad. I can’t believe it. I’ve been gaming since I was knee high with my older brother. I never thought it would turn to this. Just destroyed by capitalism in a way I’ve never seen an industry get shit on before.

Must games I play are older games from years and years ago. Maybe I need a new hobby. It’s getting to where almost no new game appeals to me. Last 3 games I played and loved that weren’t remakes were TOTK, GOWR, and Elden Ring. That’s it
A lot of games made in Asia (Japan, Korea, China) don't conform to 'modern' western censorship so that might be the way to go. Sad to see everything so homogenized in western writing and design these days in entertainment. Its almost a parody, when you have token character inserts and randomly shame on the white guy, because he exists.

Flutta

Banned
They intentionally made Peter a little bitch in this one for several reasons. Makes me a little tepid over Wolverine and I'm genuinely excited for that.

Not just Peter they make most male protaganist lill bitches. I mean it’s obvious why they do it.

Wolve will prob be called toxic in the game and he will have doubts about his character so he will begin a new personal journey to soften up abit so the blue haired weirdos won’t have a reason to attack Insomniac on twitter.

Rudius

I guess the only way things will change is if we stop buying this garbage. But as was pointed out in another thread, we can't help ourselves and we indulge in this safe comfort junk food for the brain. We are to blame for continually buying the next game, no matter how bad it is.
People will keep buying this crap until it's to late, and by that I mean another crash of the game industry that will take a decade to recover, if it ever does get to the height of the 90's and 2000's.

K2D

Banned
Just got to wait out the "diversity exodus".

Until the industry understand that pandering to minorities won't draw in new demographics, but rather push away people with above average tastes.

sigmaZ

- Playable Deaf love interest graffiti segments
- Side mission asking guys boyfriend to homecoming
- "Bipoc" artists of colour graffiti
- Black Cat is a lesbian now
- Self insert head writer being the face of MJ
- Tour of black music history museum in Harlem

Why is a marvel superhero game so woke 😂
The crazy tech that Spiderman uses is more believable than everyone being masters of sign language.

Also the Black Cat thing was akward as well. It's like the game paused just for her to say that.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Marvel is like cancer that infecting everything, its infected movies and now is infecting western games.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Not just Peter they make most male protaganist lill bitches. I mean it’s obvious why they do it.

Wolve will prob be called toxic in the game and he will have doubts about his character so he will begin a new personal journey to soften up abit so the blue haired weirdos won’t have a reason to attack Insomniac on twitter.
100%. look what they did to ratchet. Edgy jokes are gone, ratchet is a lil bitch now. Even more so than that terrible woke spider levels

ahtlas7

This is what you get when you replace intellectuals with 3rd grade level propagandists.
They can keep their spider pink games.

I'm seriously considering not finishing the game and going straight to CEX. I like the gameplay but everything else is so... anodyne, I have lost all interest in continuing. I'm much more invested in LIke a Dragon Gaiden. Hell, I'm more invested in fucking Starfield. I just don't care about these characters.

This game went from a 10 to a 5 in my mind in like 10h

GymWolf

man, this game was on my top 5 games played on 2022, very underated game.
If they remember to make an actual engaging and not cakewalky gameplay in the sequel it's gonna kick ass.

For how good was the acting and good part of the script (not everything tho) the gameplay was kinda basic, easy and well...unremarkable(on max difficulty)

Last edited:

GymWolf

OP, I agree with your take on the face models. Our faces are a big part of what define us. So much of our personality is filtered through them. In visual mediums like games, movies and shows I feel that the face is very important. That doesn't mean that someone must be handsome or beautiful, Peter wasn't super good looking in the traditional sense, but the face fit the character.

Or the face needs to be striking. Many actors actually look a bit weird irl, but the camera loves them. One thing I really loved in the Apple show Severance was the casting choices. Many actors and actresses in that show have striking features that really enhance their characters.

Severance-Cast-Apple-TV-Plus.jpg

Making a fierce character like MJ look so plain was a poor "casting" choice. She did not have to look like a super model, but she should have had the right facial features for that kind of woman. Changing the mature look of Peter into the too youthful one in Miles Morales was another poor decision. It completely altered my perception of his persona and his relationship to Miles.

I'm right now looking at a Let's Play of Alan Wake 2 and amazed by what faces they decided to go with. I am not a shallow person, I'm just well aware of how we as human beings are wired, especially when it comes to portrayals.
Casting has nothing to do with the final results, the real life actress looks nothing like that monstruosity.

GymWolf

They intentionally made Peter a little bitch in this one for several reasons. Makes me a little tepid over Wolverine and I'm genuinely excited for that.
Maybe they are gonna hook us with a first good title and then turn him into Vulverine in the sequel.

mrmustard

Banned
Is this backwards compatible with series X?
Back in 2014, following the expiration of Activision's licensing deal with Marvel, the game was delisted and removed from all digital storefronts. That means you cannot buy it digitally any more, you cannot download it and play it via backwards compatibility on Xbox consoles, and you cannot get it on Steam.

Sleepwalker

Back in 2014, following the expiration of Activision's licensing deal with Marvel, the game was delisted and removed from all digital storefronts. That means you cannot buy it digitally any more, you cannot download it and play it via backwards compatibility on Xbox consoles, and you cannot get it on Steam.

The all digital future strikes again. I'll get a PS3 disc.

Sleepwalker

Even physical games can become quite expensive when the licence runs out. The Amazing Spider-Man 2 from 2014 for example was like 50-70 bucks when i las ckecked.

Yeah, they are but at least they can still be obtained. I see this game even has a PC disc version lol, I would get that if I had a drive in my pc.

zapper

finished recently, I didn't know where to write a comment so I'll post it here. in several points during the story I thought that the title should be: mary jane, the game.
hell, every scene (and there are so many) in which she appears is so poorly written and so stupid that I had difficulty continuing several times, it's incredible to me that they tried to give her so much unjustified importance. in one of the final scenes I was about to cry/laugh, you have to bring an object to a place, and she takes care of it, with the motorbike, when there is spiderman who could take half the time and would risk less in doing so.

honestly when I saw this post I started to think it was true, because for me it is inexplicable that Mary Jane is more central than Spiderman. even at the end they announce that she will return in the third with her useless podcast, I have no words, the first spiderman in comparison is a masterpiece of writing

Last edited:

Dazraell

I've started Spider-Man 2 a few days ago. I barely reached like 25% on my save and I'm already struggling with forcing myself to finish it. While the game gives us the most refined take at Spider-Man's gameplay and it's as fun as in past games, I feel it's really dragged by its weak writing, bizarre levels of pandering and some outright weird creative decisions. So far it's the only game I regret purchasing this year

b

Welp

No better time than now to remind you guys to pick this up if you can. Prices will eventually go up even higher.

QpCCk1f.jpg
Shame this game is stuck on the consoles.

-------------

I'll say O.T. I think GAF in general tends to overreact to things like this and make a mountain out of a mole hill. That said, I have noticed the slide into pandering and annoyance and it's become so drole at this point that I don't even care.

Is Spiderman 2 writing as bad as some of the rumblings? In what ways?

Last edited:

FingerBang

I've started Spider-Man 2 a few days ago. I barely reached like 25% on my save and I'm already struggling with forcing myself to finish it. While the game gives us the most refined take at Spider-Man's gameplay and it's as fun as in past games, I feel it's really dragged by its weak writing, bizarre levels of pandering and some outright weird creative decisions. So far it's the only game I regret purchasing this year
The good news is that the woke shit is very limited to Black Cat, the non-binary scientist and Miles side-missions. There's a lot to like in the rest of the game.

The bad news is that those goddamn MJ sections are completely unnecessary and almost ruin the game.

Anyway, great game, still worth playing.

MDSLKTR

Venom and Kraven were peak comic book gaming reaching heights I haven't seen since Arkham trilogy.
But that felt like 10% of the game, the rest was MJ and Miles big nosed gf.
I would like them to both fall off a clocktower in the next one, but with the way things are set up there will barely be any spidermen left.

Dazraell

The good news is that the woke shit is very limited to Black Cat, the non-binary scientist and Miles side-missions. There's a lot to like in the rest of the game.

The bad news is that those goddamn MJ sections are completely unnecessary and almost ruin the game.

Anyway, great game, still worth playing.

I certainly hope so, will definitely play until the end. The opening setpiece with Sandman was really solid, but unfortunately nothing I've played so far came even close

Usually these type of stuff doesn't bother me at all, but here it's literally shoved in the throat in such obtrusive manner that it harms the overall experience

One thing I'm certain though, I'm not gonna buy Wolverine at launch

Top Bottom