• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon 2 Squid Research Lab (news updates on the game)

DKL

Final result

Callie 340 (46%/49%)

Marie 360 (54%/51%)

Not exactly a landslide.

It's a landslide in my heart ;_;

I'm hoping this isn't a one and done thing given that I want the runback so hard.

That said, commenting on the actual substance of the thread, I'm on the boat where I'm very okay with a sequel to this game that doesn't look radically different (from a non-meta perspective... but they gave us new hairstyles and stuff, so I'm even excited for this lol) because I don't think there was any actual way to solve the original game's fundamental problem without releasing a new thing: how to set up locals.

Assuming Nintendo doesn't somehow botch this, Inksports might be real.

Also, I'm hearing the abilities aren't tied to gear now? Can I dress up as fresh as I want to be?

correojon

Can´t wait to play this, but lately it hit me how much I ended up using the map while playing Splatoon. I´m afraid that loosing immediate access to it may hurt the game a bit :( Hope the new system is really agile.

Does anyone know about local multiplayer yet?

The perfect thing would be being able to play online while doing local multiplayer, in the way that you can on Rocket League.

Otherwise a 1 vs. 1 local multiplayer only Turf War is going to feel pretty empty, and even with four players (which I think is the max that most people regularly play locally, unless they're at a party or gathering), 2 vs. 2 is going to feel similarly dull compared to the 4 vs. 4 online version.

Something like what MK8 does would be great, allowing you to play online on the same matches but like if you were 2 different people playing with different consoles, so you can be on the same or on the opposite team and it doesn´t give too much advantage to local squads VS random teams.

boxfresh

Neo Member
my one hope for this game is they improve the non-motion aiming controls. they were so bad in the original that you were pretty much forced to play with motion controls. most people liked the motion controls and thats fine but id really like to see them make the regular joystick controls fun and responsive.

Will there be an easy mode for gamers unaccustomed to the controls and fast-pace action of the game (ala Mario Kart 8 Switch w/ safe track)? My wife is a budding gamer but she's more used to 2D platformers and such. Also, how many sets of controllers will we need for 2-player local?

RedFyn

Will there be an easy mode for gamers unaccustomed to the controls and fast-pace action of the game (ala Mario Kart 8 Switch w/ safe track)? My wife is a budding gamer but she's more used to 2D platformers and such. Also, how many sets of controllers will we need for 2-player local?
I don't expect we'll get an easy mode but if its anything like the first game the campaign should be just fine and will teach her how to play. The MP is also quite easy to get into no matter your skill level. The matchmaking works pretty well for casual players and turf wars design means anyone can contribute.

atr0cious

Its called turf war, and its the best mode and reason to play splatoon. You'll need one more set of joycons and grip or a procontroller for local coop.

13ruce

Banned
I am really excited for this game skipped the first Splatoon game but i wil surely get this one! Gameplay looks cool and nice i normally hate multiplayer shooters but this looks fun.

ryechu

my one hope for this game is they improve the non-motion aiming controls. they were so bad in the original that you were pretty much forced to play with motion controls. most people liked the motion controls and thats fine but id really like to see them make the regular joystick controls fun and responsive.

I agree. Even though i would never use the dual stick controls, it will need to be improved if this game is blow up in in the west.

atr0cious

I agree. Even though i would never use the dual stick controls, it will need to be improved if this game is blow up in in the west.

The controls were responsive, a little too sensitive for me, they just didn't have auto aim so you had to work harder, meaning less fun. Adding auto aim would ruin the game though, so I hope folks just learn how to play with the superior control scheme.

AdanVC

So hyped for this game. Even if the main gameplay ends up playing similarly to the first one. I like that it seems this sequel will have improved graphics too! Some neat real time shadows and more detailed objects around the maps, and all running at 60fps wich is great.

atr0cious

Even if the main gameplay ends up playing similarly to the first one.

This is a good thing. I've never seen this complaint for any other multi million seller series, about it playing like the last one as a negative. Bloodbourne had so many threads eagerly analyzing the early trailers to compare to souls and it wasn't technically in the same franchise.

sugarless

If I didn't play Splatoon, but was always intrigued by it, is it worth picking it up on Wii U to get into it before Splatoon 2 do you guys think? I kind of want to get into it, but on the other hand if I get used to the Wii U version now with the Gamepad second screen, it might just mess me up and I'd be better off jumping into the single-screen version directly…

ryechu

The controls were responsive, a little too sensitive for me, they just didn't have auto aim so you had to work harder, meaning less fun. Adding auto aim would ruin the game though, so I hope folks just learn how to play with the superior control scheme.

I'm not talking about auto aim. Just moving the cursor around is clunkier than other fps and tpses

Lucifon

My one major wish for the sequel. I have zero interest in motion controls, absolute despise gyro controls in games. I really did try to use them in Splatoon 1 but it did nothing to change my opinion on that. The regular joystick controls were pretty terrible as far as shooter controls go, but the game was a blast so I continued to play it. They really need to improve them in the sequel though. If I remember rightly the X/Y axis had different sensitivity values which you couldn't tweak individually, so if you cranked the sensitivity one axis became far too sensitive. It was one aspect where I felt Nintendo completely showed their in-experience when it comes to shooters.

D.Lo

The only reason it may need non-gyro controls at all is because in handheld configuration it could be difficult to tilt while watching the screen.

The gyro aiming was infinitely superior to right stick only. I started with sticks and forced myself to learn gyro when I heard all the pros used it. Never looked back, and I want them in every game now.

Lucifon

The only reason it may need non-gyro controls at all is because in handheld configuration it could be difficult to tilt while watching the screen.

The gyro aiming was infinitely superior to right stick only. I started with sticks and forced myself to learn gyro when I heard all the pros used it. Never looked back, and I want them in every game now.

Completely subjective. I hate using gyro controls in games and Splatoon was no different. Despite trying to learn it, it just isn't for me. I find the method of tilting to aim personally to be a terrible aiming input.

Pokemaniac

Completely subjective. I hate using gyro controls in games and Splatoon was no different. Despite trying to learn it, it just isn't for me. I find the method of tilting to aim personally to be a terrible aiming input.

Nah, that isn't really subjective. Dual analog simply lacks the necessary precision for effectively playing shooters like this. Its popularity as a control scheme largely comes down to a combination of aim-assist and some complicated factors preventing motion controls from gaining the mainstream acceptance that they really should have gotten by now.

This isn't to say that it's wrong for you to prefer dual analog. It's just that gyro-assisted controls actually are objectively better suited for a game like Splatoon.

phanphare

Banned
Nah, that isn't really subjective. Dual analog simply lacks the necessary precision for effectively playing shooters like this. Its popularity as a control scheme largely comes down to a combination of aim-assist and some complicated factors preventing motion controls from gaining the mainstream acceptance that they really should have gotten by now.

This isn't to say that it's wrong for you to prefer dual analog. It's just that gyro-assisted controls actually are objectively better suited for a game like Splatoon.

well said

Soul Lab

amen

Neoxon

This

atom519

I hated them as well when I first got Splatoon. I tried them for an extended play session and just couldn't get used to them so went back to analog. Played this way for a week or so before caving in to the peer pressure online saying gyro was superior. Decided to give them another chance and after a few matches it finally started to click with me.

Fast forward to 100+ hours of Splatoon under my belt and I can't imagine playing the game without them. Attempting to pull off quick flick shots with the charger are just impossible with analog controls.

Somewhat related, but I recently bought Destiny and while I'm enjoying it I'm also constantly fighting the controls. I find myself wanting to move the controller around for those small adjustments but can't. :(

The world would be a better place if every console FPS had the same gyro controls as an option.

phanphare

Banned
I hated them as well when I first got Splatoon. I tried them for an extended play session and just couldn't get used to them so went back to analog. Played this way for a week or so before caving in to the peer pressure online saying gyro was superior. Decided to give them another chance and after a few matches it finally started to click with me.

Fast forward to 100+ hours of Splatoon under my belt and I can't imagine playing the game without them. Attempting to pull off quick flick shots with the charger are just impossible with analog controls.

Somewhat related, but I recently bought Destiny and while I'm enjoying it I'm also constantly fighting the controls. I find myself wanting to move the controller around for those small adjustments but can't. :(

The world would be a better place if every console FPS had the same gyro controls as an option.

every game that has aiming or camera controls mapped to the right stick should allow for gyro assisted aim, really. it's proven to be superior and it's honestly one of those things where once you're accustomed to it you can't go back, or I can't at least. I've nope'd out of a few games within 30 minutes of playing because of how clunky it is to use the right stick without the gyro. it's like trying to control a character in a 3D space with the dpad after getting accustomed to an analog stick.

Javier

I decided to try the dual analogs controls in Splatoon once.

As soon as the match was over I went back to Gyro and never looked back.

DKL

I've nope'd out of a few games within 30 minutes of playing because of how clunky it is to use the right stick without the gyro. it's like trying to control a character in a 3D space with the dpad after getting accustomed to an analog stick.

It's strange that more PS4 games don't use Gyro. You have it in Gravity Rush 2 (and it seems pretty accurate), so the capability is actually there.

(but then, it's also strange that most consoles take mouse and keyboard, but never actually let you use it in games)

That said, what I liked about Splatoon controls is that I had the best of both worlds: a way of aiming that's as accurate as using a mouse, but analog based movement (WASD is pretty awful for movement in shooters, to be honest).

I watched SRB2dude's impressions and he said that pro controller was the way to go for the game since the jump button is mapped awkwardly on the joy con or something.

Razmos

As we all know, female forms are harder to model and render than anything else in existence. This includes long hair. Thus, long hair has to be turned into short hair on consoles with, what experts refer to as, weaksauce specs. That is also why, naturally, Bayonetta had to have a shorter haircut in Bayonetta 2 because the Wii U could not handle the long hair. 'Tis the true measure of power for any gaming platform. The length of the character's hair.
This post was far too underappreciated

phanphare

Banned
It's strange that more PS4 games don't use Gyro. You have it in Gravity Rush 2 (and it seems pretty accurate), so the capability is actually there.

(but then, it's also strange that most consoles take mouse and keyboard, but never actually let you use it in games)

That said, what I liked about Splatoon controls is that I had the best of both worlds: a way of aiming that's as accurate as using a mouse, but analog based movement (WASD is pretty awful for movement in shooters, to be honest).

I watched SRB2dude's impressions and he said that pro controller was the way to go for the game since the jump button is mapped awkwardly on the joy con or something.

yeah I ordered a pro controller specifically for splatoon. it's so nice that it has the gyro in it this go around.

RedFyn

All they need to do is let you adjust the x and y axis sensitivity separately. Even with the gyro we should have separate sensitivities. And i dont expect this to happen but they need to let us change them between matches.

sfried

If anyone is interested, I got to play Splatoon 2 and put together a short impressions video:

http://www.floko.tv/video/1093083-nintendo-switch-hands-on-splatoon-2#.WJteN7HMyL8

(As always, will be happy to remove if mods don't want it, just want to provide any useful info I can!)

Some of the information is uninformed.

Launching to your teammates was tactic that was present as far back as the launch of Splatoon 1. In fact, its immidiate use is one of the few legitimate uses of the GamePad that just wouldn't feel the same if replicated with an overlay menu.

//ARCANUM

Launching to your teammates was tactic that was present as far back as the launch of Splatoon 1. In fact, its immidiate use is one of the few legitimate uses of the GamePad that just wouldn't feel the same if replicated with an overlay menu.

welp i've been playing Splatoon 1 wrong for the past week then! haha. Because I straight up didn't know this mechanic existed at all. so you just tap on the gamepad and you'll fly to them?

DaBoss

I wouldn't say that exactly. I actually got to play Splatoon 2 two weeks ago and managed to nab 4 playthroughs of it (I guess if anyone has questions about it, they can ask me as well?).

The overlay menu is pretty intuitive with the use of gyro to move the cursor to point to who you're going to jump to or use the D-Pad shortcuts. The best part is you don't actually have to move your eyes off the screen and can easily open/close the map whenever you please.
welp i've been playing Splatoon 1 wrong for the past week then! haha. Because I straight up didn't know this mechanic existed at all. so you just tap on the gamepad and you'll fly to them?
Yup, that's how Super Jumping worked in Splatoon 1.

sfried

If you tap on your teammates, yes, you'll fly to them. But your landing will be telegraphed for everyone to see (from the marker that appears where you're about to land).

Needham

What worries me is how easy it will be to super jump back to base, just tap X then down and A (or whatever the buttons are). Everyone will be leaping home at the first sign of trouble. It was never too hard to do on the gamepad, but now you can pretty much do it without even thinking about it.

Doorman

What worries me is how easy it will be to super jump back to base, just tap X then down and A (or whatever the buttons are). Everyone will be leaping home at the first sign of trouble. It was never too hard to do on the gamepad, but now you can pretty much do it without even thinking about it.

For as many times as I've attempted to mash that corner of the gamepad with my thumb for quick escapes, only to somehow miss the spawn button and wind up wasting time doing literally nothing instead, having a combination of actual buttons I can quickly and consistently mash out is going to be an extremely welcome change.

CaVaYeRo

So we just posted this new Splatoon 2 full match gameplay clip (4v4, Turf War, Pink v Blue, The Reef):

http://www.gamereactor.es/noticias/...dos+en+este+gameplay+exclusivo+de+Splatoon+2/

You can see the new special weapon Tenta Missiles in action, and a neat comeback by my mate, who ends up getting MVP. It was tight.

I'm not a Splatoon expert myself (I'm one of the worst of that pink team), but really enjoyed it on the Switcch. The game looks crisp and super-smooth, and I'm really looking forward to potential 1080p60 on TV mode. For this some of us played docked (such as my friend, which is obvios for the direct feed), others like me, handheld. Controls are flawless already. Oh and I asked about the "ninth Switch". Interesting stuff.

DaBoss

Seems like the US Splatoon tumblr updated:
Feb 9th said:
SgrgZEu.gif

We’ve just received an image of a small cat-like creature on top of a larger cat-like creature known only as…Judd. Could this young cat be Judd’s offspring?! Or perhaps his younger sibling? Or even something more…sinister? MUAHAHA! Nope. Sorry. There’s no evidence to support that. I just got carried away. Anyway, according to our information from two years back, Judd was supposedly the squid world’s only mammal. Just what happened in the intervening time? We’ll spare no effort to solve this mystery!
Feb 10th said:
Musselforge Fitness amazing name lol

Tweets confirm up to two camera people per private match. Can switch (lol) between bird's eye view and 3rd person view of each player. Can also bring up the 2.5D map.

EDIT: All the responses in Japanese point how this is basically meant for Koshien/tournaments.

Top Bottom