• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon character design

Gabe3208

Banned
What is it about these little guys that makes them so appealing? I think their "bad-ass" demeanor comes off as confident yet cute, simple yet full of revengeful emotion. With the Wii U doing as poorly as it is, I would hate for this IP to be a one-hit-wonder never to see them again after this release. What are your thoughts on the design and likelihood they will return in the future?

ArGkyN7.png

I think we'll see them again as a staple franchise (once per gen at least)
Love the designs, especially the girl inkling #TeamGirl

Jito

Banned
Why do they all look so angry? Is Nintendo trying to appeal to western audiences with angry character design again like with Kirby? I don't really like the design to be honest.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Like with all of nintendo's iconic characters:It's simple, simple is much better for stylized cartoony art styles and character design in general. Compared to say the overdesigned stuff that you usually get from an anime jrpg.

Why do they all look so angry? Is Nintendo trying to appeal to western audiences with angry character design again like with Kirby? I don't really like the design to be honest.
Lol what? First of all, this "the west hates cartoony or happy looking characters" shit needs to stop. Secondly:they're not angry, this is a competitive game face.
maxresdefault.jpg

WiiU_Splatoon_011415_Plaza_Scrn02.jpg

Confident but having fun.

Gabe3208

Banned

I think it's a play on exuding competitiveness while maintaining good sportsmanship really. I myself don't really see them as angry, since they're eyes are kind of giving off a smile, in a sinister but fun way.

They basically represent everything that was good about 90's cartoons and Dreamcast-era Sega. With a Nintendo twist. They're absolutely brilliant IMO.

RichardKSJ

Nintendo needs to make this into a cartoon

I'd wake up early every Saturday and eat the sugariest cereal I have.

-

Their faces never came of as angry to me, I never even saw a hint of anger in their faces. They're usually smiling too, I just can't associate an angry look with smiling.

bryehn

Nothing about this game appeals to me at all and yes I did play the stress test.

FWIW I didn't care for Sunset Overdrive either, which IMO shares the "90s aesthetic".

Maybe frantic TPSs just aren't for me anymore.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod

Same. I liked the look of the store-keepers though.

G.O.O.

I like the universe more than the squids, which are a bit too nickelodeon-ey for my tastes

this fucker is awesome though

P5wFrk4.png

Jito

Banned
Say that again without an angry avatar, then xD

image.php

image.php

What does my avatar have to do with character design in Splatoon?

Lol what? First of all, this "the west hates cartoony or happy looking characters" shit needs to stop. Secondly:they're not angry, this is a competitive game face.

Confident but having fun.

Lol what? First of all this "I don't understand jokes about Nintendos representation of Kirby in the US" shit needs to stop. Secondly, They look angry to me ;)

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
IMO they look less like children and more like little monsters in the Jim Henson, goblin-esque way. And that helps them have appeal; it's that naughty, mean-little-sucker without being evil, aura.

Combined with the street punk attitude and 90's splash, and you've got a winner.

npa189

This is a weird IP for me, I know I should like it, but its not doing much for me. The design and art style feels like its right out of 1994. It could be my overall enthusiasm for Wii U, but there is so much else coming out I am willing to miss out on this one. The strange times of the global testfire didn't help, I wanted to play, but not at 4am.

NotLiquid

I feel like they meet a few criteria really as to why they're so memorable.

- Their designs are simple. It's easy to remember them. There'd be no mistaking them and it's also easy to adapt them to most situations.
- However, they're also unique. They have a defining key feature to them that can serve as a symbol or trademark. In terms of the Inklings it's partially their faces but also the tentacles and general squid iconography.
- Their designs are informed by game play. The design came after the concept itself, and Nintendo designed a character that is fully integral to the core experience. They are humanoid squids, and they act like it as a result - spraying ink and also swimming through them by transforming. They have a key ability.
- The supporting cast is fully informed by the aesthetic. Clever things like a humanoid anemone with the anemone itself as hair, a crustacean with a tempura coat, they go a long way.
- They have personality. Even if the Inklings have minimal dialogue this is made clear through subtle features. The way they all have different attire in different images can tell the viewer that clearly, they love fashion, and being stylish.
- They're inclusive towards different demographics. There are Inkling girls, boys and they also come in different skin tones. Which ties into the last point -
- They have universal appeal. They're colorful without being childish. They represent features that can be grasped by all. They're mascots for a wider audience.

Nintendo really nailed them.

jediyoshi

Lol what? First of all this "I don't understand jokes about Nintendos representation of Kirby in the US" shit needs to stop. Secondly, They look angry to me ;)

Just to clarify, do you see a distinction between looking concentrated and looking angry? How do you reconcile everything about their face looking 'angry' while always either smiling or smirking?

rhandino

Banned
I think that one of my favorite things about their design are the teeth... they are so bizarre =D

nCSNqc5.jpg

Like the beak of a real squid =3

Subaru

I feel like they meet a few criteria really.

- Their designs are simple. It's easy to remember them. There'd be no mistaking them and it's also easy to adapt them to most situations.
- However, they're also unique. They have a defining key feature to them that can serve as a symbol or trademark. In terms of the Inklings it's partially their faces but also the tentacles and general squid iconography.
- Their designs are informed by game play. The design came after the concept itself, and Nintendo designed a character that is fully integral to the core experience. They are humanoid squids, and they act like it as a result - spraying ink and also swimming through them by transforming. They have a key ability.
- They have personality. Even if the Inklings have minimal dialogue this is made clear through subtle features. The way they all have different attire in different images can tell the viewer that clearly, they love fashion, and being stylish.
- They're inclusive towards demographics. There are Inkling girls, boys and they also come in different skin tones. Which ties into the last point -
- They have universal appeal. They're colorful without being childish. They represent features that can be grasped by all. They're mascots for a wider audience.

Nintendo really nailed them.

Perfect analysis!

And I love that this game is not aimed for girls (in a traditional way that girls only plays Barbie games), have boys and yet, the girls are the "protagonists" in every single video/image. I think I've never seen something like this in games before (well, except when the girls are really sexy and have big tits or something like that).

Oh, you can wear hats to cover up the boy's tentacles? I might have to rethink my stance on his design.
Still, #TeamGirlSquid

IMO they look less like children and more like little monsters in the Jim Henson, goblin-esque way. And that helps them have appeal; it's that naughty, mean-little-sucker without being evil, aura.

Combined with the street punk attitude and 90's splash, and you've got a winner.

Well said. Their child-like designs have lead to some... unfortunate fanart, but the Inklings are the best characters Nintendo have made in years.

It's got the kind of lighthearted yet mischievous 'tude that something like Sonic should've been utilizing all this time but hasn't.

Really looking forward to playing this.

I don't like the hair design of the boys, but the girls look nice. I'll probably play as a girl inkling while I usually pick male characters in games with gender choices.

Neoxon

Smash Bros Wii U DLC inevitable?

(I guess more likely NX)
With the Inklings, it's more of a when than an if when it comes to them being playable in Smash. It's either Smash 4 DLC or one of the newcomers in Smash 5. In fact, the only realistic options I can see for the last DLC slot found in the 3DS's Mewtwo Update code (assuming Wolf takes one of the two mystery slots found in the data) are...

- Inkling w/ the ballot characters in another wave
- Chorus Kids w/ the ballot characters in a another wave
- The winner of the ballot that's within reason (which may be King K. Rool at this rate), marking the end of Smash 4 DLC

I would be genuinely shocked if it's not one of those 3 options.

Top Bottom