• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon character design

Aces&Eights

I think Nintendo is sexualizing 14 y.o. girls.

But other than that design wise they're good.

Can you elaborate on that? As a father who was really careful what his teen daughter was exposed to growing up, I find these designs to represent a confident little girl (and boy) They have that "go get em" look in their eyes and are wearing appropriate clothes. They didn't put the girls in little pink dresses or drop down the v-neck lines to their belly buttons. To me, they look like tweens getting ready for a water gun fight and the girls are clearly as competent as the boys.

I'm being serious, BTW.

javac

Never going to happen, and I'm getting sidetracked here, but with the Universal deal, imagine a Splatoon Land. I just looked at some pics of paintball parks...and yeah maybe that's not such a good idea lol. Shit looks crazy, I imagined kids laughing with little Super Soaker things but just saw army camo lmao, looked like something out of the Hunger Games.

Turning a bit into a Splatoon general thread, but yeah the designs are awesome, not much more to add!

JDSN

Banned
jbpTChkYLvTFWK.png

Just look at this dude right here.

Jachaos

jbpTChkYLvTFWK.png

Just at this dude right here.

I'd pick him in Smash.

Can you elaborate on that? As a father who was really careful what his teen daughter was exposed to growing up, I find these designs to represent a confident little girl (and boy) They have that "go get em" look in their eyes and are wearing appropriate clothes. They didn't put the girls in little pink dresses or drop down the v-neck lines to their belly buttons. To me, they look like tweens getting ready for a water gun fight and the girls are clearly as competent as the boys.

I'm being serious, BTW.

I don't get it either. Having a young character that has some attitude is not perceived well in games by some it seems. There will always be people (not necessarily here but on the web in general) shitting up conversation about Splatoon characters, Ellie in The Last of Us or whatever else a dev makes that isn't some adult male or a kid/teen/female character that's boring as sandpaper and has no relevant interaction with the player.

Jito

Banned
image.php

I don't like your eyes.

That's also not eyeliner

I wish that was me. Again I don't see how my avatar is relevant to the discussion but you guys keep bringing it up?

Cool, what is it? Just random black part around their eyes, like eye liner?

There's really nothing appealing about them. It's basic and it shows when you play the game. They all look the same except the two gender differences in design. Isn't Squid Girl already an anime? Lack of originality is also another one.

DevilFox

Simple design, cartoony, small, big eyes, cute, nice colors. Also put in a game that's about something we all liked when we were kids. A mix of basic things for a great result, as it often happens with Nintendo games.

I personally don't much care for their design.

It feels too much like something meant to be cool as decided by a committee of middle age and above nerds and your typical PR department, with just a dash of the 'chibi' fetus monster look, combined with the all too common Japanese tendency to fetishise young teens.

But that's just me, and it's not like that's enough to put me off enjoying a game. Even the fuck ugly Wind Waker character designs didn't stop me enjoying the hell out of that, and these are gorgeous compared to that games abominations.

Plus most people seem to like them, and more power to them for it.

Vanish

Im honestly surprised at all the postive reception the designs have gotten. Guess im part of the minority that doesnt like the design at all. I find it really unappealing. Shame since I normally find Nintendo's character designs to be great

Jito

Banned
Well they're not human and is most likely part of their skin

So you don't know what it is? Could be eye liner for all we know ;) Either way I don't really like it.

Seeing as you're avoiding the other part of my post or missed the edited post directly above your reply, what does my avatar have to do with this discussion...?

I love, love, love the Splatoon character design. It's like all the good parts of Jet Set Radio and Super Mario fell into a blender and created a glorious mess.

Muzicfreq

Banned
So you don't know what it is? Could be eye liner for all we know ;) Either way I don't really like it.

Seeing as you're avoiding the other part of my post or missed the edited post directly above your reply, what does my avatar have to do with this discussion...?
Saying you don't like them because they look angry......... Your avatar looks pissed

javac

Im honestly surprised at all the postive reception the designs have gotten. Guess im part of the minority that doesnt like the design at all. I find it really unappealing. Shame since I normally find Nintendo's character designs to be great

I think it has to do with the individualism each of them exudes, from the fashion to things like the choice of skin tone, which makes it easier to make your character you and stand out from the crowd. Nintendo also goes all in as always, and adds silly superfluous things like in game clothes branding that makes the world feel more alive and vibrant.

Jito

Banned
Saying you don't like them because they look angry......... Your avatar looks pissed

I'm still not seeing the relation, so because I think the Splatoon characters look angry and I don't like the character design I'm not allowed to like anything that looks remotely angry? Ok...

Muzicfreq

Banned
I'm still not seeing the relation, so because I think the Splatoon characters look angry and I don't like the character design I'm not allowed to like anything that looks remotely angry? Ok...
You just look like a hypocrite IMHO. But whatever

Jawmuncher

The inlking design along with the rest of the game is the only reason I am interested.
Granted the Test Fire was fun though.

I LOVE the art-direction. But I want to see what grown-up squid look like. Other than Capn' Cuttlefish.

It all reminds me of Jet Set Radio, which is a very good thing indeed.

The inklings themselves look awesome, fun and cheeky. Great thought has gone into their design. I hope a sequel brings more hairstyle variety. And I want to play as an octopus and/or cuttlefish as well.

Mdk7

I love every single bit about the visual design of Splatoon, it's simply phenomenal.
Colorful, unique, original, very japanese and cartoony, it oozes personality (and has an adorable Dreamcast vibe to it).

The only thing that could be a little better IMHO is the game UI, it's a bit bland and basic to me.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
Well, in terms of sexualization there is this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZU8-hzkt-c

In a vacuum it's not too bad. These are the pop idols of their world inspired by Japanese idols. You might even call it a parody. But considering the culture that surrounds stuff like this I'd say the fans are being flamed a bit. Not to mention they're meant to be 14 but look 8-10.

I don't personally care, I like the designs and even that catchy little tune, but these are the facts.

They look great. I already preordered the Inkling Boy amiibo.

I think Nintendo is sexualizing 14 y.o. girls.

But other than that design wise they're good.

Look, I get it, there's a ton of creepy fan art, even in this forum's Splatoon fan art thread. That ain't Nintendo's doing at all, though. That's just gross people reacting to cool stuff in gross ways.

Well, in terms of sexualization there is this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZU8-hzkt-c

In a vacuum it's not too bad. These are the pop idols of their world inspired by Japanese idols. You might even call it a parody. But considering the culture that surrounds stuff like this I'd say the fans are being flamed a bit. Not to mention they're meant to be 14 but look 8-10.

I don't personally care, I like the designs and even that catchy little tune, but these are the facts.

...Okay, yeah, true, those squid idols are pretty awful.

Top Bottom