• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon character design

Fugu

Honestly, you'd have a pretty hard time finding a design that I find *less* appealing than this. It looks like a poor man's Jet Grind Radio; downsizing the characters makes the, erm, "attitude" come off as juvenile, not menacing.

Apparently angry = bad character design. Just because they look competitive doesn't mean they're Shadow the Hedgehog.
Thank you. That's what they remind me of. Shadow the Hedgehog.

Razmos

Well, in terms of sexualization there is this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZU8-hzkt-c

In a vacuum it's not too bad. These are the pop idols of their world inspired by Japanese idols. You might even call it a parody. But considering the culture that surrounds stuff like this I'd say the fans are being flamed a bit. Not to mention they're meant to be 14 but look 8-10.

I don't personally care, I like the designs and even that catchy little tune, but these are the facts.
We don't actually know what age Callie and Marie are though. The direct said that the Inklings gain control of their forms at 14, that doesn't necessarily mean that every humanoid Inkling we see IS 14.

Callie and Marie look older than the playable Inklings as well, at least in my opinion.

Honestly, you'd have a pretty hard time finding a design that I find *less* appealing than this. It looks like a poor man's Jet Grind Radio; downsizing the characters makes the, erm, "attitude" come off as juvenile, not menacing.

Thank you. That's what they remind me of. Shadow the Hedgehog.
They aren't supposed to be menacing or edgy, it's a Nintendo game.

Zalman

I will admit, I didn't find them that particularly appealing until recently when they released high-res images of them. I especially like the design of the Inkling girl.

inkling-girl-orange.png

Vanish

I think it has to do with the individualism each of them exudes, from the fashion to things like the choice of skin tone, which makes it easier to make your character you and stand out from the crowd. Nintendo also goes all in as always, and adds silly superfluous things like in game clothes branding that makes the world feel more alive and vibrant.

Yeah true. Not working on me though, for whatever reason. I'm sure the game will still be great though.

Well, in terms of sexualization there is this... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MZU8-hzkt-c

In a vacuum it's not too bad. These are the pop idols of their world inspired by Japanese idols. You might even call it a parody. But considering the culture that surrounds stuff like this I'd say the fans are being flamed a bit. Not to mention they're meant to be 14 but look 8-10.

I don't personally care, I like the designs and even that catchy little tune, but these are the facts.

That doesn't look .... sexualized?
I also think this idol duo doesn't look as young as you mention either. Did you want them to have developed curvy bodies in order to appear more mature? Wouldn't that be more sexualized? Or do you want them to wear turtle necks?? I don't see this as facts at all. :I

Yeh I see the resemblance now, but the Bloopers don't look angry.

Blooper's design is a mask, from what I understand. Possibly because they're enemies and so the black around the eyes makes them look a bit more dangerous. Since the inklings are inspired by the Blooper designs, they gave them black circles around the eyes because it just looks cool.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
We don't actually know what age Callie and Marie are though. The direct said that the Inklings gain control of their forms at 14, that doesn't necessarily mean that every humanoid Inkling we see IS 14.

Callie and Marie look older than the playable Inklings as well, at least in my opinion.

That's the classic "1000 year old loli" defense. The style they're rendered in makes them look young, the fictional age doesn't factor in. They look mostly the same to me as the other squids, just they have unique faces.

Yeah, I really do like the look of them.

I wonder if they'll get added to Smash. Seems like it would be a great way to raise awareness for the game. They did it with the Fire Emblem characters in Melee and with Pit in Brawl.

I wouldn't go that far, lol

For my taste they do have a bit too much of "hipness" going on though
I don't know, this dude has pretty much the X360 avatar pose: legs pointing left, hips pointing right, 'tude.

Anyway, I'm not saying the designs are bad, they just don't appeal to me. I think they look better in the art (somebody posted some nice art on the first page) than on the actual character models.

GDGF

Soothsayer
They look great. I especially love the fact that they're multi-ethnic.

They're hip, young, and inclusive.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
That should've been my tag :[

It is something that you shouldn't be proud of, but at least you could ask for universal hentai researcher tag if you really want one. :p

When you have this post being made here within hours of the game's reveal, I don't think any in-depth research is really necessary.

It was just a joke. Yeah, you got it right when some people are being so open about their opinions about it.

Razmos

That's the classic "1000 year old loli" defense. The style they're rendered in makes them look young, the fictional age doesn't factor in. They look mostly the same to me as the other squids, just they have unique faces.
Fair enough, they still aren't "sexualized" though, dancing does not make them sexualized, and their outfits aren't revealing either
ba9.jpg

Just because creepy people CAN sexualize them doesn't make them inherently sexualized.

Sendou

I have troubles seeing the sexualization in Splatoon. Maybe it's time for some self-reflection if that's your reaction when watching the design of the pop stars for example.

When you have this post being made here within hours of the game's reveal, I don't think any in-depth research is really necessary.

Eh, more than anything it's our corrupted minds that easily turns Splatoon's concept with tentacles and young looking girls getting splattered with gooey liquidy materials into something perverted. Splatoon really isn't that sexualized beyond the people that actually project these images onto the game, if you ask me.

superbank

The definition of front-butt.
That doesn't look .... sexualized?
I also think this idol duo doesn't look as young as you mention either. Did you want them to have developed curvy bodies in order to appear more mature? Wouldn't that be more sexualized? Or do you want them to wear turtle necks?? I don't see this as facts at all. :I

As I said, in a vacuum it's fine. It's just some little girls dancing. But the culture surrounding Japanese Idols is one of cute = sexy, and they go crazy for it.

I debated posting this because I don't really want to get into this argument. I've seen this debate play out already, but I just wanted it out there that the Squid Sisters are a thing.

javac

Yeah true. Not working on me though, for whatever reason. I'm sure the game will still be great though.

That's fine, I think some people prefer the 'complete package' when it comes to characters, a character that's designed complete from the start, where what you see is what you get, like Mario. It's clear that a lot of people love customization however, from Animal Crossing to Tomodachi Life etc. That mixed with that rebellious, trendy design it conjures up a lot of love for people who take a liking to those JSR games. Very up beat and arcady.

LX_Theo

Banned
Eh. Once you get out of their designs used and refined for promotional stuff, the design tends to break down and look a bit silly.

Codeblue

All this talk of JSR is making me wish Naganuma had contributed to the soundtrack.

Anyway, I think these are some of the best character designs I've seen in years.

Creaking

He touched the black heart of a mod
All this talk of individualism, but in every screenshot I've seen, they all share the same expression/face. The only difference is color and clothing. Under the glitter, they may as well all be the same squid.

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
I LOVE the art-direction. But I want to see what grown-up squid look like. Other than Capn' Cuttlefish.

It all reminds me of Jet Set Radio, which is a very good thing indeed.

The inklings themselves look awesome, fun and cheeky. Great thought has gone into their design. I hope a sequel brings more hairstyle variety. And I want to play as an octopus and/or cuttlefish as well.

I love your avatar

Top Bottom