• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metal B

Even if there is no Voice Chat - there is a touchscreen keyboard right at your fingertips.
We should be able to use it.
They tried it and ruled against it. The gameplay is too hectic in their opinion to really make it usable and you don't need to play with the WiiU-Tablet.

All I care is to communicate with dudes on my WiiU friendlist.
And I hope creating a party is a thing in this game. Mario Kart 8 and Smash WiiU are recent examples why my hope is low. Well, in MK8 you have the possibility to join a friends game, which is ok. But in Smash there is no such option. Play with friends only or alone vs. randoms. This sucks imo
I guess, the planed Tourney-Mode (which is more of a online-lobby and room-making mode) could solve this problem.

Raitaro

I'm in the minority but I'm mostly bummed out a bit by the lack of CPU bots in the multiplayer mode, going by that translated article at least. I'll assume this means here will be no way to practice those maps offline against bots either.

One of the reasons I never got into games like COD was because they (originally) did not offer me any way to practice offline without getting murdered by skilled human competitors.

It now seems Splatoon will follow suit, meaning I'll most likely only play the single player modes. I just don't like to play with others if this means I have to perform perfectly as not to let my team down or something - that's just not fun to me. (Perhaps looking for some casual Splatoon buddies here would be a remedy though.)

NotLiquid

I'm going to assume that the squid jump function was a means to implement a kind of self-serve beacon feature. The unique thing about Splatoon's game play is how you instantly have all the information at hand in the game pad, and each action you make has some big ramifications on the playfield. The jump allows you to instantly pop in on the action at anytime.

I'm in the minority but I'm mostly bummed out a bit by the lack of CPU bots in the multiplayer mode, going by that translated article at least. I'll assume this means here will be no way to practice those maps offline against bots either.

One of the reasons I never got into games like COD was because they (originally) did not offer me any way to practice offline without getting murdered by skilled human competitors.

It now seems Splatoon will follow suit, meaning I'll most likely only play the single player modes. I just don't like to play with others if this means I have to perform perfectly as not to let my team down or something - that's just not fun to me. (Perhaps looking for some casual Splatoon buddies here would be a remedy though.)

The game might have an offline mode. It seems like the point about bots was only for matchmaking, but I dunno.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.

Splatoon seems to be designed so no matter your skill set you can contribute to the team effort. If you're not very good a defeating opponents you can still go around covering the ground and help your team achieve victory.

Bit hostile there. It's not that big of a deal.
Hostile? They think that releasing a 4v4 shooter without voice chat is acceptable. Thats some backward ass shit right there. With all the care they've put into the gameplay, it's simply incomprehensible why they would willingly cripple the games online playability right from the start. Playing it at Gamescom it was immediately clear that the game wouldn't be able to unfold it's true potential unless you can coordinate with your team.

A game designer that doesn't understand that fundamental element of tactical online shooters is clueless

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

Even the E3/Gamescom demo had a practice stage (the one with baloons) before going into the battle one. I'm sure there will be some practice stages as well in the main game.

Lol Nintendo. Played this at EGX and communication is vital. The reps on hand were even telling us how communication is essential to win, haha. Terrible.

xaszatm

Banned
Hostile? They think that releasing a 4v4 shooter without voice chat is acceptable. Thats some backward ass shit right there. With all the care they've put into the gameplay, it's simply incomprehensible why they would willingly cripple the games online playability right from the start. Playing it at Gamescom it was immediately clear that the game wouldn't be able to unfold it's true potential unless you can coordinate with your team.

A game designer that doesn't understand that fundamental element of tactical online shooters is clueless

Except that IT DIDN'T FREAKING SAY THAT! My god, what is with you people? You will read something that is translated and out of context, misinterpret it, scream as loud as you can to convince everyone else not to buy it, then find out weeks after release that you were misinformed. Read. What. It. Said.

It said that communication wouldn't happen with players you were matched with. So, in other words, no random voice chat. If there was no voice chat at all, they would say "No voice chat implemented". Instead they go out of their way to include "with players you are matched with". That already implies that there will be voice chat in the game. So no, there is probably going to be voice chat and you're jumping the gun and determined to take as many people with you. Congratulations.

test_account

XP-39C²
It also doesn't explicitly say there's no voice chat, just no communication with people you are matched with randomly worldwide in the 4x4 mode. And that kinda makes sense since voice chat between someone from Japan, US, and France all on a team wouldn't work.

If you can't communicate with friends then people can feel free to get totally pissed off about this (and I'll join you).
Why wouldnt that work? You mean because of a potential language barrier (that everyone doesnt know english for example)? That would still exist even if you match from people within Europe.

Except that IT DIDN'T FREAKING SAY THAT! My god, what is with you people? You will read something that is translated and out of context, misinterpret it, scream as loud as you can to convince everyone else not to buy it, then find out weeks after release that you were misinformed. Read. What. It. Said.

It said that communication wouldn't happen with players you were matched with. So, in other words, no random voice chat. If there was no voice chat at all, they would say "No voice chat implemented". Instead they go out of their way to include "with players you are matched with". That already implies that there will be voice chat in the game. So no, there is probably going to be voice chat and you're jumping the gun and determined to take as many people with you. Congratulations.
What is the context, and what does the original japanese text say?

Geg

Personally I couldn't wait to have slurs yelled by prepubescent voices blaring from my speakers every time I played. That was going to be my Splatoon experience before mean old Nintendo took it away from me

Well, I believe that goes either way. That's the way I want to interpret it as well, but honestly we just don't know right now. That bit of info is pretty inconclusive.

Given Nintendo's online history, I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't included at all, and that's why people are upset.

TheMoon

Splatoon seems to be designed so no matter your skill set you can contribute to the team effort. If you're not very good a defeating opponents you can still go around covering the ground and help your team achieve victory.

Especially since the game isn't even about defeating opponents. The game is about covering ground with ink. And EVERYONE can do that. And everyone has the map right in their hands where they can see which spots have what color ink on it. There is simply no need to communicate with randoms. If people were to actually think about how this game is designed, we could save ourselves a lot of BS spewing about incompetence etc.

Especially since the game isn't even about defeating opponents. The game is about covering ground with ink. And EVERYONE can do that. And everyone has the map right in their hands where they can see which spots have what color ink on it. There is simply no need to communicate with randoms. If people were to actually think about how this game is designed, we could save ourselves a lot of BS spewing about incompetence etc.

I think there's a bit of truth to that, you don't NEED a chat function. But on the other hand, the goal of most shooters can be boiled down to something similar. Do you really need to communicate to look at your radar and find enemies? Not really. But communication adds another layer of depth when you coordinate, all sorts of strategies become viable. And to me, that's a lot more fun than just the base gameplay.

So in the end, I think the game would have a lot more longevity, at least for me, if there was the option to voice chat with your team.

test_account

XP-39C²
True that the goal isnt about racking up kill-points, but taking out the enemies is still a key part of the game. Its done to stop the enemy for X-amount of time, so they cant spread their ink, while you can.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
Since 3 minutes match are quite short i don't really see the use for a voice chat anyway, however i really hope that there is a way of communication, perhaps in a way similar to luigi mansion - dark moon, which have a cooperative online mode without any chat, but you could communicate with your teammate by pushing a button and have luigi saying something (like calling for help if you died or got stuck). The character in question would also appear differently on the mini-map.

I think that this way of communication is best suited for splatoon, like i need reinforcement, no ink is needed here, or alternatively ink is needed here....

Also, why there are no reaction for the local? isn't that what many wanted?

Raitaro

That is a good point indeed, at least from a design perspective. I just hope that the gaming community that picks up this game will agree with this philosophy of "everyone can be a participant." I'll have to adapt either way I suppose (assuming there is not any form of offline practice mode, as some suggest there still might be).

I can't wait to see how this game will do for Nintendo by the way. It could be anything from a cult classic, to a runaway hit or complete failure; I really have no clue what people will make of it in this volatile gaming climate. I do wish it all the best of course and can't wait to play it myself.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
on twitter people are pretty mad about it, but i feel like it is the only way to keep this game kids friendly, you just need one idiot on voice chat to ruin a good playing experience, especially for kids tho wich this is probably their first shooter.

Oh spare me the out of context crap. No voice chat in a shooter is beyond stupid. It misses the point so hard it actually takes an effort on their part to disable common sense.
I suspect however that it's mandated by someone higher up at Nintendo. No way a game designer could be that dense.

For those asocial peeps that don't care about voice chat there should be a toggle, or a parental control setting, but to argue that Voice chat with randoms doesn't matter is disingenuous at best.
A game so tightly focused on 4v4 is inevitably crippled without a possibility to coordinate. It basically robs every matchmaking game of the depth the gamedesigners obviously Implemented.

If there's no party system then I'm out. And before you dismiss my point, go check out my post history in every splatoon thread.

Geg

And before you dismiss my point, go check out my post history in every splatoon thread.
I've gotta say, looking at these posts

Fucking backwards idiots.

I don't even expect these clueless morons to allow for party play. Why do these clowns feel the need to sabotage their own games? Fucking voice chat in a freaking shooter. Are you kidding me?

It makes me more glad there's no voice chat. I'm sure playing with you would be an absolute joy.

What about all of the friendly people you'd miss out on talking to?

Sounds like a question you would ask someone when they say they're turning down a job to work in a call center because they don't want people yelling at them and hanging up the phone.

But what about all those pleasant calls that balance out the bad ones?! What about those?

Clefargle

I agree, I don't think this backlash is fabricated at all. It's really vital to have chat for these games.

Yeah not really fond of voicechat myself.

I can do without it. Though I do understand why for some people it's essential. They should at least be able to toggle the option.

Vena

on twitter people are pretty mad about it, but i feel like it is the only way to keep this game kids friendly, you just need one idiot on voice chat to ruin a good playing experience, especially for kids tho wich this is probably their first shooter.

Where do people even discuss this on twitter?

Also I don't care about random onlines, I don't think I have ever had that on in Halo, but there better fuck be voice-chat for friend groups.

So you were shouting to the others during the games at EGX?

Yes. I played with 3 buddies and we were all shouting across to one another. The other team didn't know each other and didn't speak a word to one another. We utterly trounced them. And whilst we were in the queue, we noticed that those who communicated more generally performed much better.

jimi_dini

I've gotta say, looking at these posts

It makes me more glad there's no voice chat. I'm sure playing with you would be an absolute joy.

bt36UrU.gif

One thing I will never understand is people being happy with less options.

Developers cut options all the time. Some of them might be important, others not so much. All of us are constantly happy with less options. Not necessarily because of them, but in spite of them. Every game has less options than they could have, and we are happy with them. You are happy with them, right now. Maybe not this particular game, but you are definitely happy with less options.

But outside of being happy despite a lack of options, there are numerous viable reasons to be happy because of less options. it might mean a shorter development time, less delays, less money spent by the dev team granting them all the more money for their next project, etc.

cloudyboy

Neo Member
whe also need to remember that contrarly to halo where most people speak english, splatoon while also have a large share of japanese player, yeah good luck making strategie with that.

That why i think other method would work better for splatoon anyway.

I wonder what is next? i doubt that all to famitsu pages have been translated yet

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Yes. I played with 3 buddies and we were all shouting across to one another. The other team didn't know each other and didn't speak a word to one another. We utterly trounced them. And whilst we were in the queue, we noticed that those who communicated more generally performed much better.

Then mumble or skype is your friend, if there is no friends voice chat (which we don't know yet).

I played 4 matches, my team (2 different teams actually) won 3, I was best player in the last one and I never spoke a word out loud. I guess I will be fine.

Exile20

Would be nice to have mm for
Randoms including Parties(No points) - Limit to 2 in a party. This would stop randoms from playing against another who isn't a party.
Clans(Need 4 people partied up to search, also includes a laddering system, tags, tournament, etc)

IF there is no voicechat at all in this game, there will never be any real voicechat in ANY future Nintendo game.

I can't think of any Nintendo game that has it to begin with and it's very disappointing.

From StreetsAhead's translation
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150625172&postcount=303
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150634682&postcount=326

-The interview is with producer Hisashi Nogami, who is known as the director of every Animal Crossing up to City Folk, and directors Yusuke Amano, who also directed NSMB2, and Tsubasa Sakaguchi, who was a character designer on Twilight Princess and art director on Nintendo Land.
-The Inkling city (where the plaza is) is known as 'Highcolor/Haikara City' in Japanese.
-The concept of two teams of four shooting ink in a turf battle has been there since the original prototype, even though the characters where tofu-like blocks at the time.
-They experimented with other team sizes, but found with more than four players felt like they had little effect on battles, and with less than four that they had too much responsibility.
-Killing/attacking opponents online to prevent them from painting ink is just one strategy to win. You get no points or advantage directly from doing so.
-Hero mode uses basically the same controls as online matches, so anyone with difficulty in the can use the hero mode to practice.
-Ideally, you'll be matched with players of a similar rank to you (based off of experience points earned in matches). If not enough players, they'll put you with people further away from your rank. If there's only 8 players, you'll be matched together.
-While online is focused on just painting the ground, hero mode focuses on using the ink to move forward.
-Amano says he wants you to be able to look at the map on the GamePad and see where needs to be worked on for your team.
-No way to directly communicate with people you've been randomly matched with. They will appear post-match in your Plaza, where you can check out their gear, weapons, and comment.
-They picked squids because they were the best at representing the gameplay present in the prototype.
-Music for stages is random. Possible that I'm misunderstanding, but each player will have a different song while playing.
-Music is designed to be the sort that would be popular with the young Inklings involved with the turf battles.
-Rather than making some huge number of stages, they want to create stages that feel different when you use different weapon combinations.
-You don't earn money for gear in single player for balance reasons. Someone could grind money in hero mode and have their first online match with high level gear.
-In the final stages of development now.
-Aiming for, more or less, a simultaneous worldwide release.
-They plan on supporting the title post-release.

Also.
No CPU bots in online.
Nothing about friends online or communicating with friends

cloudyboy

Neo Member
-No way to directly communicate with people you've been randomly matched with. They will appear post-match in your Plaza, where you can check out their gear, weapons, and comment.

-Rather than making some huge number of stages, they want to create stages that feel different when you use different weapon combinations.

Those two are quite dissapointing, i wonder how many stages there will be?

xaszatm

Banned
From StreetsAhead's translation
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150625172&postcount=303
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=150634682&postcount=326

-The interview is with producer Hisashi Nogami, who is known as the director of every Animal Crossing up to City Folk, and directors Yusuke Amano, who also directed NSMB2, and Tsubasa Sakaguchi, who was a character designer on Twilight Princess and art director on Nintendo Land.
-The Inkling city (where the plaza is) is known as 'Highcolor/Haikara City' in Japanese.
-The concept of two teams of four shooting ink in a turf battle has been there since the original prototype, even though the characters where tofu-like blocks at the time.
-They experimented with other team sizes, but found with more than four players felt like they had little effect on battles, and with less than four that they had too much responsibility.
-Killing/attacking opponents online to prevent them from painting ink is just one strategy to win. You get no points or advantage directly from doing so.
-Hero mode uses basically the same controls as online matches, so anyone with difficulty in the can use the hero mode to practice.
-Ideally, you'll be matched with players of a similar rank to you (based off of experience points earned in matches). If not enough players, they'll put you with people further away from your rank. If there's only 8 players, you'll be matched together.
-While online is focused on just painting the ground, hero mode focuses on using the ink to move forward.
-Amano says he wants you to be able to look at the map on the GamePad and see where needs to be worked on for your team.
-They picked squids because they were the best at representing the gameplay present in the prototype.
-Music for stages is random. Possible that I'm misunderstanding, but each player will have a different song while playing.
-Music is designed to be the sort that would be popular with the young Inklings involved with the turf battles.
-You don't earn money for gear in single player for balance reasons. Someone could grind money in hero mode and have their first online match with high level gear.
-In the final stages of development now.
-Aiming for, more or less, a simultaneous worldwide release.
-They plan on supporting the title post-release.

Also.
No CPU bots in online.
Nothing about friends online or communicating with friends

So...a lot of people jumped the gun here. I guess this means people are going to talk about this right? No? Drive by posting followed by large rants online for the sole purpose of making sure no one by this game over a misunderstanding? Again? Of course. I'm utterly shocked by this point.

TheMoon

So...a lot of people jumped the gun here. I guess this means people are going to talk about this right? No? Drive by posting followed by large rants online for the sole purpose of making sure no one by this game over a misunderstanding? Again? Of course. I'm utterly shocked by this point.

Well, that's the normal course of action. Take vague statement, pretend it's the end of the world, rage loudly and hope for the best (worst).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom