• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.
"We've received a photo from our investigator. Apparently, it's some kind of oil rig. (lit: "oil-mining-purpose maritime-plant appearance"). Seems like rolling battles occur over the top spot. However, fighting from sea level isn't a great idea... they're bad swimmers, see?"

Those last two sentences were giving me a lot of trouble. I think that's what it means, but I'm not certain.
My interpretation there: "But, coming to fight right above the sea isn't something they should do... because they're hopeless swimmers."

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton

There are some really cool images there. Like this one, looks like the map used for the "water is dangerous for the inklings "tweet":

mgi0iiK.jpg

Sharkz1

Neo Member
A decent amount of Melee players/tournament organizers in my area of expressed interest at having 4v4 squad tournies. I wonder how easy or hard it is to set up a character or if you can already have saved characters for your friends ready to go. I also wonder if 4v4 is possible at all without online.

A decent amount of Melee players/tournament organizers in my area of expressed interest at having 4v4 squad tournies. I wonder how easy or hard it is to set up a character or if you can already have saved characters for your friends ready to go. I also wonder if 4v4 is possible at all without online.

It might be, but who knows. Even with all the information we have about this game, I feel that there is still a lot more to come. I'm just so excited for this game. I already have it pre-ordered at Target.

DaBoss

The squid on the cover may be confusing or something for those who don't know about the game lol.

Not that it would affect it in a negative way.

Portman

Well dang. After seeing the cover I'm conflicted over how to purchase it. I was planning to go digital to save me from having to get the disc to play but that cover art (if final) is so cool looking. I hope they get some posters up on Club Nintendo for this, I'd be all over those!

Jotthah

Well dang. After seeing the cover I'm conflicted over how to purchase it. I was planning to go digital to save me from having to get the disc to play but that cover art (if final) is so cool looking. I hope they get some posters up on Club Nintendo for this, I'd be all over those!
or some of the propaganda art in poster size!
i'd trade in my stars for that in a heartbeat

SmithnCo

If they had posters done in a graffiti style that would be awesome.

I think I'll be going physical because of that cover.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Because this discussion popped up from time to time (regarding sales and how this will be some kind of a niche game), here is what Nintendo's NPD PR looks like:

“Fans can anticipate another strong year for 2015, especially with more highly anticipated games like Splatoon and The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask 3D, as well as New Nintendo 3DS XL, arriving in the first half of 2015.”

Splatoon is top of the list for 2015. They will promote this as much as they can, be sure of that.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
New tweets:

広場にあるファッションビル「ブイヤベース」には、ブキ屋、アタマ屋、フク屋、クツ屋の4つの店舗が入っている。
イカたちはバトルで得たお金を使ってショッピングを楽しむらしい。
ブキ屋以外は毎日商品が入れ替わるので要チェック!だそうだ。

B7cyHfeCUAAgv07.jpg:orig

Seems to say that the items available in the shops are changing everyday (except for the weapon shop?) so you should check the shops often.

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。
先程も言ったが、お金はナワバリバトルで得ることができるそうだ。
たくさん地面を塗って活躍すれば、その分、稼ぎも増える。
イカしたファッションを手に入れるためにも、まずはバトルに参加することだ。

B7c_RB1CUAAxYnR.jpg:orig

Going by Google translate it seems that you gain money based on the area painted.

New tweets:
Seems to say that the items available in the shops are changing everyday (except for the weapon shop?) so you should check the shops often.
Going by Google translate it seems that you gain money based on the area painted.

Found these translations. Originally from /v/. Seems accurate. Correct if wrong.

広場にあるファッションビル「ブイヤベース」には、ブキ屋、アタマ屋、フク屋、クツ屋の4つの店舗が入っている。
イカたちはバトルで得たお金を使ってショッピングを楽しむらしい。
ブキ屋以外は毎日商品が入れ替わるので要チェック!だそうだ。

In the town's square you can find bouillabaissee building, you can enter on it's weapon shop, headgear shop, clothes shop and shoes shop.
The squids can buy items with the money earned in battle.
It seems like the goods change everyday except for the weapon shop, make sure you check it.

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。
先程も言ったが、お金はナワバリバトルで得ることができるそうだ。
たくさん地面を塗って活躍すれば、その分、稼ぎも増える。
イカしたファッションを手に入れるためにも、まずはバトルに参加することだ。

Investigation report from the Squid Laboratory.
As I said before it seems like money can be obtained in battle.
If a lot of ground is painted the amount of money earned increases.
In order to make your squid fashionable you first have to participate in battle.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
It's interesting that the items in the shops will change daily, that's some crazy diversity. It might also temper the worries linked to the fact that clothes provide different abilities.

thefro

It's interesting that the items in the shops will change daily, that's some crazy diversity. It might also temper the worries linked to the fact that clothes provide different abilities.

I'd guess item trading will be in as well based on this news.

I wonder what other things they'll bring over from Animal Crossing?

Javier

I really hope they confirm amiibo compatibility soon (I find it hard to believe it won't have it). They can be used to unlock hats and clothes based on the amiibo.

The Mario & Luigi amiibo could also unlock ink-based versions of FLUDD and Poltergust, respectively.

tumblr_ni8biaYMgj1u3akyno1_1280.jpg

They talked about the buildings at the right? Of you zoom the yellow sign looks like is from a fighting/training academy.

Watched the direct-feed again. The shops are only on the left side. We don't know what are these buuildings for on the right side .. both on top and downstairs. And maybe there is more when you turn the camera 180°. So excited for this :)

Sadly, there is no amiibo-logo on the cover. Hoped that we would get maybe a splatoon amiibo. Well, maybe a limited Edition will be announced. :)

9i6L9pZl.jpg

Remember this retro 2d gameplay from the single player trailer?

Olx2lfLl.png

Well. Look in the back of this picture. Seems to be an arcade machine.
We might be able to play the above 2d game on that.

Several updates from splatoonus ( the US splatoon tumblr )

From old to new

Crispy calamari! Some new footage of our favorite squid creatures was just revealed via Nintendo Direct! It appears to show their home-base area, and also confirms the existence of other life-forms living there! This will no doubt lead our researchers to all sorts of tantalizing new breakthroughs. Such exciting times!

Breaking news! We just received this urgent text message from one of our senior interns: OMG SPLATOON RELEASE MAY 2015! I’m not exactly sure what this means, but apparently it was announced in the most recent Nintendo Direct. It’s really gotten our researchers in a tizzy! Also, the so-called “king of squids,” the bigfin reef squid, tends to make appearances in May. What a great month for squid fans everywhere!

This just in! We’ve now learned that most of the crazy squid creatures we’ve been studying call this city home. The central plaza is apparently a favorite hangout for all of the hip-and-happening squid folk. If this were Tokyo, the plaza would sort of be like Shibuya. I guess their cities aren’t so different from our own!

New info coming at ya! We’ve just received confirmation that this tower is a very important landmark in the plaza area. Our undercover interns have observed the squid creatures entering the base of the tower to play in turf-war battles online! Now it makes sense why so many squid folk are always hanging out in the plaza. How fascinating!

Hot new nugget! Our researchers have identified four shops in the squid plaza’s shopping district: a weapons shop, a headgear shop, a clothing shop, and a shoe shop. The items in stock at the clothing, headgear, and shoe shops apparently change from day to day, so be sure to check back frequently!

Breaking news! We’ve now learned that the amount of in-game currency these crazy squids get from each match is tied to how much turf they cover with ink. So if you want the hottest fashions, you’d better get busy during battle!

My one remaining fear is thatt the game would have a single mode for multi

Mine too actually. What is going to make this game is going to be the multiplayer. Single player looks amazing so far, but you can tell this was made specifically for VS. And that is what is going to keep people coming back.

Capture the flag, king of the hill, or just straight up deathmatch would all be fine in this format. It's not like they have to do anything insane to come up with interesting ways to play this game, but if they do along the way, then that's great too.

Xun

I really cannot wait for this.

I hope Nintendo has a few other younger teams working on new IP like this, because it's incredibly fresh to see.

Its kinda sad that the whole artificial language will go to waste. I bet most people will think its japanese and that Nintendo is lazy for not translating it. ^^

test_account

XP-39C²
safe bet: it won't. lobby only voice chat. like all their other games.
I actually think the opposite. Splatoon is a game that is also built to be tactical played and communcation can be important then. We know that games like Black Ops 2 support in-game voice chat on WiiU, so its not a technical issue. I would say that its a big design oversight if Splatoon doesnt have in-game voice chat.

EDIT: Come to think of it, i'm kinda surprised why this hasnt been confirmed yet. Has no one asked about in-game voice chat on Twitter? (or maybe they have, but the developers havnt answered).

Jintor

I think Nintendo is too risk averse to go for voice chat

Especially considering that "gaming while black" topic and their whole experience with swapnote.

Still, would be a pleasant surprise

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom