• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon devs are posting regular updates on Twitter: Weapons, controls, story, more!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

Mario almost superseded the quirky squid-like characters in Nintendo’s upcoming Wii U paint-gun game Splatoon

“At one point during development, we held a small internal review of the game,” explains Miyamoto. “We had found that the ink-battle play mechanic was fun, and the team was working very hard to brush up on that aspect at that time, but we were losing the freshness of the game the more the team worked on it. The thing which concerned us most was the main character. It looked as if it could be found in any game and lacked uniqueness. So, I told the game’s producer and the director to even consider using Mario if we could not find the right character. I also explained to them why I was providing such a suggestion.”

“A few weeks later, they gingerly approached me with the squid-like character, and we decided on that direction right on the spot. The director and others who nervously brought the squid character to me must have been surprised with my positive reaction, but at the time, I didn’t accept it for lack of better options. I actually thought, ‘This must be it!’ It’s fun to nurture something so unique, and I’m glad that they were able to experience bringing it to fruition.”

We kinda sorta knew that but it's a new Miyamoto quote, they are always good.

img_towel_splatoon.jpg
Club nintendo japan getting Splatoon stuff

タオルハンカチ イカ(スプラトゥーン)
必要ポイント:120ポイント
交換開始:5月(予定)
※この特典はまだ交換開始されていません
5月発売予定のWii Uソフト「Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)」でデザインしたタオルハンカチです。
(素材:綿100%、サイズ:約25×25cm)

Google translate:

Towel handkerchief squid (Splatoon)
Need points: 120 points
Exchange start: May (planned)
※ This offer has not yet been exchanged start
Wii U software "Splatoon (Splatoon)" of May will be released is designed towel handkerchief at.
(Material: 100% cotton, size: about 25 × 25cm)

*Sub weapons use a lot of ink
*Special weapons can only be used after filling a gauge that increases the more ink you shoot.
*Weapons come in pre-set groups of 3 (see below for 2 examples).

Main Weapon: Splat Charger - charging weapon, good for long range attacks, can make 'Ink Roads' for you and your team mates to use.
Sub Weapon: Splash Bomb - standard bomb, explodes on impact
Special Weapon: Bomb Rush - Allows you to shoot as many bombs as you want for a set period.

Main Weapon: .52 Gal - Stronger than the Splat Charger, but uses more ink so can'tbe fired as much.
Sub Weapon: Splashield - Creates a curtain of ink. Good for narrow pathways to attack your opposition.
Special Weapon: Megaphone Laser - Shoots out a powerful 'laser' of ink. Good for turning around battles.

Also talks about the Splattershot, Hot Blaster, and Splat Roller, but nothing new on them. Next article is out April 2nd.

NotLiquid

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/578513034869522433

コイツの名前は「タテタコトルーパー」。
舌を噛みそうな名前だが、タコトルーパーがタテを装備したものだそうだ。
前からの攻撃は弾き返すので、隠れて背後に回り込んだり、何かで注意を逸らすなど、倒すにはアタマを使う必要がありそうだ。

CAdKicIVIAAg2kY.jpg:large

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
*Special weapons can only be used after filling a gauge that increases the more ink you shoot.

Main Weapon: Splat Charger - charging weapon, good for long range attacks, can make 'Ink Roads' for you and your team mates to use.
Special Weapon: Bomb Rush - Allows you to shoot as many bombs as you want for a set period.

Main Weapon: .52 Gal - Stronger than the Splat Charger, but uses more ink so can'tbe fired as much.
Sub Weapon: Splashield - Creates a curtain of ink. Good for narrow pathways to attack your opposition.
Special Weapon: Megaphone Laser - Shoots out a powerful 'laser' of ink. Good for turning around battles.

Also talks about the Splattershot, Hot Blaster, and Splat Roller, but nothing new on them. Next article is out April 2nd.

Thanks for the translation. I want to see that megaphone laser in action.

I like the painted face of the enemy that it's not protected by the shield.

NotLiquid

https://twitter.com/SplatoonJP/status/578516877216886784

CAdOB0HVAAAt5N9.jpg:large

コイツの名前は「ボムタコプター」。
空中を浮遊しながらボムを投げつけてくる、非常に厄介なヤツらしい。
物陰やインクの中に身を潜めて隙を見計らい、ここぞというタイミングで一気に倒してしまうのが良いそうだ。

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So now we have attacks coming also from the air. Nice.

Now we need this equipment for inklings too. Like a jet pack and bombs or something.

Jintor

Awww shit.

I'm gonna go shower. If I get back and it's already translated I'll be a 悲しいイカ。

Jintor

コイツの名前は「タテタコトルーパー」。
舌を噛みそうな名前だが、タコトルーパーがタテを装備したものだそうだ。
前からの攻撃は弾き返すので、隠れて背後に回り込んだり、何かで注意を逸らすなど、倒すにはアタマを使う必要がありそうだ。

This guy's name is "Tate-Tako-trooper" [I think it means 'shield octo-trooper'].

It's a tongue-twister of a name, but it looks like it's a trooper who uses a shield, so...

Since it repels attacks from the front, popular strategies including sneaking behind it to attack, but you gotta be careful about it turning around and that kinda thing - basically, using your head to take it down is a necessity.

コイツの名前は「ボムタコプター」。
空中を浮遊しながらボムを投げつけてくる、非常に厄介なヤツらしい。
物陰やインクの中に身を潜めて隙を見計らい、ここぞというタイミングで一気に倒してしまうのが良いそうだ。

This fella's name is "Bomb Octocopter" (?)

These bomb-throwing sky-floatin' guys are probably really troublesome. You could take cover or hide in ink for a second - seems like you could take 'em out one by one, with proper timing.

NotLiquid

This guy's name is "Tate-Tako-trooper" [I think it means 'shield octo-trooper'].

It's a tongue-twister of a name, but it looks like it's a trooper who uses a shield, so...

Since it repels attacks from the front, popular strategies including sneaking behind it to attack, but you gotta be careful about it turning around and that kinda thing - basically, using your head to take it down is a necessity.

So the potential strategy here - use your ink trails to sneak around them.

Splatoon would make for a genius stealth concept. Hell if I recall, during the E3 interview when the developers "confirmed" a local 2 player mode (which we haven't seen yet though) they said that local multiplayer would focus more on stealthing. I hope that's still in.

Regiruler

I still really don't like how weapons are grouped.

Soul Lab

I still really don't like how weapons are grouped.

I think it's a good thing for balance. I can imagine if there would be the possiblity to combine the weapons like you wish, it can lead to one over used op combo. With the restriction it's more like "choose your class".

L~A

This fella's name is "Bomb Octocopter" (?)

These bomb-throwing sky-floatin' guys are probably really troublesome. You could take cover or hide in ink for a second - seems like you could take 'em out one by one, with proper timing.

Thanks for the translations :)

Club nintendo japan getting Splatoon stuff

タオルハンカチ イカ(スプラトゥーン)
必要ポイント:120ポイント
交換開始:5月(予定)
※この特典はまだ交換開始されていません
5月発売予定のWii Uソフト「Splatoon(スプラトゥーン)」でデザインしたタオルハンカチです。
(素材:綿100%、サイズ:約25×25cm)

Google translate:

Towel handkerchief squid (Splatoon)
Need points: 120 points
Exchange start: May (planned)
※ This offer has not yet been exchanged start
Wii U software "Splatoon (Splatoon)" of May will be released is designed towel handkerchief at.
(Material: 100% cotton, size: about 25 × 25cm)

I so want that hand towel.

"Apparently. In May, three washcloths featuring Rosalina from Super Mario Galaxy, classic Donkey Kong, and Splatoon for 120 points each and a set of rolls of Mario-themed masking tape for 200 points will become available."

http://www.thetanooki.com/2015/03/19/club-nintendo-japan-gets-even-more-rewards-in-april-and-may/

Splatoon washcloths apparently.

Soul Lab

a retailer in Switzerland listed Splatoon with release May 22nd.
Before that, it was "only" May

the release dates are usually reliable and it seems legit

New Tweet 1

イカ研究所からの調査報告だ。
先日、「イカスミ文字は変色する」とお伝えしたが、文献で調べただけで確証が持てなかったので、実際にやってみた。
こちらはイカスミを使って文字を書いた直後の写真だ。
CAiGIXvUUAA-YAr.jpg

New Tweet 2

そして、こちらが1ヶ月経過した状態の写真だ。
肉眼で見るとちょっと薄くなってきた感もあるが、写真だとほとんど変わりない。
1ヶ月くらいではさして変化しないということか……。
引き続き、経過を観察いきたいと思う。
CAiGV5LU0AAiGrE.jpg

New Tweet 3

この実験材料は自宅で作成したのだが、イカをさばいて墨袋を取り出し、台所で筆にイカスミをつけて文字を書いているところを妻に見られた時の会話。
妻「何やってんの?」
私「いや、仕事で……。」
妻「……あんた、一体何の仕事してるの?」
イカ研究の道のりは険しく、孤独である。

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Not big. More a bonus. It's all about the Multiplayer.

There will be a full campaign focused more on platforming. Look are all the enemies that we already know. It's not an afterthought. Just look at this:

CAdOB0HVAAAt5N9.jpg

Does it look like an enemy just for a short bonus?

I think you misinterpret all my post. With not big I don't mean "it is maybe about an hour or 2". I just meant that it is not big, just a camapign of an Call of Duty or Battlefield, about 6 hours ~ maybe.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom