• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Global Testfire Demo Schedule and Info Thread (https://youtu.be/l4UFQWKjy_I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nbz

Is anyone else having trouble accessing the e-Shop? I'm in the UK and getting error coded every time I try and get on

Blizzard

Banned
If you prepuchase the full game, you change your gear in the demo. http://www.nintendo.co.jp/wiiu/agmj/event/us/

Fuck that's dirty.

It seems pretty clear though:
If you pre-purchase the full version of Splatoon on Nintendo eShop, you'll get some special gear for your Inkling to wear in the Splatoon Global Testfire!

※This special gear only changes your look in the Splatoon.
Global Testfire and won't transfer to the full version.
It just seems like a way to have a costume that says "Hey, I already bought this game", labeling yourself as extra-dedicated and not just curious. It might also be interesting to see how many free players are playing versus how many have preordered.

sonto340

I fucking hate living in central time because no one ever bothers saying it for time zones.
Hype as hell for this demo tho.

It seems pretty clear though:

It just seems like a way to have a costume that says "Hey, I already bought this game", labeling yourself as extra-dedicated and not just curious. It might also be interesting to see how many free players are playing versus how many have preordered.
It won't reflect people who pre-order physically, though.

thefro

Apparently you can already read the game manual from the Global Testfire demo.

There's a colorblind mode, which is pretty neat.

McNum

Apparently you can already read the game manual from the Global Testfire demo.

There's a colorblind mode, which is pretty neat.
Oh, nice! I'm colorblind, but I had no real issue telling one color from the other, although the red ink on some terrains looks a bit washed out. I'll definitely try this.

GeeDuhb

If they want to stress test the servers, they need to adjust the times so the maximum amount of people can play. It's fucking awful right now.

It is a worldwide demo, so thats why the times are all over the place. Limiting the demo to only certain times ensures that if people want to play, they are going to play at those times.

I honestly would not be surprised if they open it up for a longer period next weekend or something.

I fucking hate living in central time because no one ever bothers saying it for time zones.
Hype as hell for this demo tho.

This is really kinda scary that so many people are saying this...(not just you)

Do people really not know time zones? There are FOUR of them in the Continental US...Central is Eastern -1...Mountain is Eastern -2...Pacific is Eastern -3...it really is not hard at all...

800px-US-Timezones.svg.png

Burning Justice

the superior princess
Hmm. I'll be there for the first and third ones. I'll be asleep during the second one--not staying up late or waking up early for that.

Will download the demo as soon as I get home.

It is a worldwide demo, so thats why the times are all over the place. Limiting the demo to only certain times ensures that if people want to play, they are going to play at those times.

I honestly would not be surprised if they open it up for a longer period next weekend or something.

This is really kinda scary that so many people are saying this...(not just you)

Do people really not know time zones? There are FOUR of them in the Continental US...Central is Eastern -1...Mountain is Eastern -2...Pacific is Eastern -3...it really is not hard at all...

800px-US-Timezones.svg.png
seriously, I live in CST and never have issues with us time zones. Can people really not do such basic addition? Can't be bothered to remember 2(because nobody ever really uses mountain) other time zones?

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
What's the point of putting it up today, if you can't play until tomorrow night.

Because imagine how hammered the servers will be tomorrow with everyone trying to play. Now imagine if that included a bunch of people trying to download the game last minute as well. And it's up for an hour, so people sure better have it preloaded.

Blizzard

Banned
Don't say I didn't warn ya..
At least in theory, the idea of a stress test is for Nintendo to detect and examine such server problems. This way, they have a chance of actually doing a smooth launch.

One might argue they will ignore it, but at least in THEORY it's a good idea.

What's the point of putting it up today, if you can't play until tomorrow night.
The stress test windows are small, so I imagine they want plenty of time for everyone to download it before they start.

Piccoro

Ok, for anyone who hasn't noticed yet, you can read the Splatoon full game Manual through this demo.
Apparently the Wii U Pro Controller is only usable in the 2 player local mode?

Ok, for anyone who hasn't noticed yet, you can read the Splatoon full game Manual through this demo.
Apparently the Wii U Pro Controller is only usable in the 2 player local mode?

That will be due to the touch pad being used to superjump to teammates, most likely.

They can get around that by having a button bring up a map but hey, guess they didn't bother :/

DizzyCrow

That will be due to the touch pad being used to superjump to teammates, most likely.

They can get around that by having a button bring up a map but hey, guess they didn't bother :/
It also shows their position in the map and ink spread in real time, so you basically knows where your enemies are too.

mcmmaster

That 4am timeslot is incredibly stupid, but i'm still going to drag myself out of bed to play it.

This is such a great idea though, giving players just a small tease of the game to build on that anticipation and hype even more.

That 4am timeslot is incredibly stupid, but i'm still going to drag myself out of bed to play it.

This is such a great idea though, giving players just a small tease of the game to build on that anticipation and hype even more.

Time zones, how do they work? The reason some of the times seem odd is because it's the GLOBAL testfire. As in, they're doing it simultaneously across all regions. If they chose 3 times that all worked really well for NA, then the times would be awful elsewhere

NotLiquid

The reason for the late night timeslots is because they're all effectively taking place at the "same time" worldwide. It's far from peak hours for their respective time zones but a 4 AM period for EU is probably some of the more optimal times for Japan and US, and this is worldwide since they're trying to get as many people online.

European here; will try to play at least one of the three hours, possibly two. The first one, which is in the middle of the night, ain't happening though lol.

Nintendo choosing the shittiest times possible.

Eh, they're just trying to make something that works for everyone. They're all spread out. Do really none of them work for you?

Aizo

Banned
Will Japan be getting the same time? I own a Japanese Wii U....
Never mind. As soon as I started up the Wii U, it had a notification about it.

Edit: Shit! I missed two times since being out last night and sleeping, and I'll miss the next in a few hours while I'm at graduation.

I'm hopeful they patch it in later like they did with Mario Kart 8. You could only see the map on the gamepad previously before they added it as an option to bring up on the HUD.

That said, the map on this game is a bit more complicated so who knows.

Good to see you can turn off motion controls for those that don't want it. Should make it easier to defeat them!

You never know, they could be really good. Sounds like a lot of previews preferred it. Fingers crossed for something like RE4 Wii Edition's.

mcmmaster

Yes thanks for explaining to me how time zones work, I just looked at my own times (UK) and ignored the rest, my bad. Guess it's totally understandable then, every region has to suffer with that early morning time slot.

let's not get nuts man, it's just a network test they're advertising as a demo

It's a network test that bombed out of nowhere, so I will let my anticipation and hype build as much as it can in the 3 week wait to launch.

Edit: Shit! I missed two times since being out last night and sleeping, and I'll miss the next in a few hours while I'm at graduation.
None of the tests have happened yet.

it hasnt started yet

Ridley327

Wouldn't like a 3 hour window be better for a stress test.

It seems like they've picked times that would be more or less peak times for online games in each region, so it would be a more accurate gauge of what to expect on a region-by-region basis than doing one big test that would probably not work out as well for one of the regions, if not more.

It seems like they've picked times that would be more or less peak times for online games in each region, so it would be a more accurate gauge of what to expect on a region-by-region basis than doing one big test that would probably not work out as well for one of the regions, if not more.
I think they meant 3 hours per test.

Penguin

Surprised there's no single-player content/tutorial.

Seems would make sense to help people get use to the game.

I'm pretty psyched to finally play the game. It looks like tons of fun. It'd be nice if they give Testfire participants a T-Shirt in-game that showed that they were there, or even the lab coat would be cool. I always liked how Battlefield does stuff like that with their dog tags.

Boney

Banned
For some reason I thought it was from 8 AM to 9PM (PST) today lol.

589 MB despite the store saying a 1.1gigs. (It probably does need to check for that much though the way HDDs work.)
Yeah I thought it was all day when they announced it too :/

And thanks, gonna have to clean the fridge for thia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom