• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon Global Testfire Demo Schedule and Info Thread (https://youtu.be/l4UFQWKjy_I)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lucent

Hopefully I'll get my hour of time tonight. I would have to get up at like 7am to play tomorrow at all but I don't think I'll do that. Don't wanna break up my sleep. Hopefully that 1 hour will be enough for me to be like "Yeah, I'll be there day 1". Lol

prag16

Banned
We basically have to wait until August for proper custom party rooms and such. Even if you join a friend's game now, you might not be on the same team. It's all in the Direct.

And even the August update won't "fully" address the issue, as it sounds like you need EXACTLY four or eight people. If I'm on and want to team up with just one or two friends, I'm shit out of luck, even in August.

Playing it as online co-op with friends was the biggest thing I was looking forward to in this game. Yeah yeah yeah they don't want little Timmy to get pub stomped and go crying to his mommy. But to remove such a basic fucking feature as a party system is just.... Nintendo. -_-

Nevertheless, I'll be there for the first time slot. Hopefully things will function properly, and we'll actually get some games in.

thefro

And even the August update won't "fully" address the issue, as it sounds like you need EXACTLY four or eight people. If I'm on and want to team up with just one or two friends, I'm shit out of luck, even in August.

That's just speculation at this point until we see what the August update is. I would guess you would be able to add random players to fill out the matches.

GtwoK

Wait, so we only have an hour to completely learn how to play the game and decide if it's worth purchasing? Kind of a ridiculous idea for a "demo". Should have just made a real demo and include limited online time, if they really wanted that in.

TheMoon

Wait, so we only have an hour to completely learn how to play the game and decide if it's worth purchasing? Kind of a ridiculous idea for a "demo". Should have just made a real demo and include limited online time, if they really wanted that in.

No, you have three hours. Split over three one hour chunks. You're not supposed to "completely learn" any game during a demo.

Solobbos

I'm at work from 9:00 to 18:00 pm tomorrow, and after that I have to go visit my family. I can try the demo at 06:00, 14:00 and 22:00. So basically, I have to wake up 2 hours earlier than normal to try it out or skip my family meeting to be able to play it. Why do we only have one day of tests in Europe?

Mat-triX

How many hours do you need to figure out if you like the game or not? Most people are going to find out if they like it within the first match, be it the gameplay or the controls.

TheMoon

I'm at work from 9:00 to 18:00 pm tomorrow, and after that I have to go visit my family. I can try the demo at 06:00, 14:00 and 22:00. So basically, I have to wake up 2 hours earlier than normal to try it out or skip my family meeting to be able to play it. Why do we only have one day of tests in Europe?

I wouldn't be shocked if they did more of them over the coming weeks until release.

Chaos17

How many hours do you need to figure out if you like the game or not? Most people are going to find out if they like it within the first match, be it the gameplay or the controls.

It was both for me in Heroes of Storm, even if I'm not really good I just fell for it. I hope i will have the same crush for Splatoon after all these time I passed to stalk it.

Edit :
A Nintendo rep told me more traditional aiming would be an option when the game drops May 29 for Wii U only.
http://time.com/3849388/splatoon-wii-u-nintendo/

Jachaos

Apparently they're doing an event with celebrities in Santa Monica with celebrities and all. This game is getting a big push and I love it. It's the game I wanted to create and play for a long time now, a mix of shooter and graffiti from Tony Hawk in a paint-ball game where the objective was to colour the most objects in your colour. This is similar so I can already tell I'll absolutely love it.

They don't teach timezones in grade school or at least they just kind blow through it and never mention it again.

I just mean this is something that would be easy for grade school children let alone grown adults. If I know I live in Central then it doesn't take a lot to understand that I'm 1 hour behind NY and 2 hours ahead of California. The sun rises in the East, once you know that basic fact then it's even easier to remember that if it's 6am in NY then it's 5am in Chicago and 3am in California.

I understand not remembering that Paris is 7 hours ahead if you live in Chicago but at least the things relevant every day (sports schedules, press conference times, etc.) should be easy enough to keep in mind.

Mat-triX

Maybe you're right, might be dying from laughter

"Come at me Bro!"

"All over my Buttcheeks..."

...Come to think of it: has there ever been a E rated game WITH voice chat...or even with Online functionality at all (other than Mario Kart)?

First you should see if the Wii U can connect to it.

Then you should never play a game online cause hotel WiFi is shit. :p

Yeah its weird because my dorm WiFi can play 3DS online games just fine but not Wii U games, I guess Wii U games require a higher connection speed cause more stuff is going on?

Mat-triX

Most likely no.

Basically all racing games.

Remember, online modes are not subject to ESRB ratings.

Do many people actually use voice chat in racing games? the only time I ever heard anyone in an online racer was the sound of their TV through the mic. I can't imagine there being that much trash talk in a racer, compared to a shooter.

Mesoian

Do many people actually use voice chat in racing games? the only time I ever heard anyone in an online racer was the sound of their TV through the mic. I can't imagine there being that much trash talk in a racer, compared to a shooter.

Absolutely, especially if you're doing stuff like team racing or cat and mouse.

When I was huge into PGR2, I only wanted to play people who were mic'd up because you had to sync up with people for stuff like drafting or defense.

TheMoon

Haines

Banned
Imagine the beta starts and the servers immediately crash. For an hour.

And than everybody complains like 90% of betas?

I can't imagine wiiu will get that big of a server load but I'm going.into this expecting the worst as u do every beta.

Chaos17

New teaser : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmllGdquk7k

splatoon-promo-656x369.jpg

The full game, yes. The demo? No clue.
You don't know how happy this makes me then. Thanks!! :)

I have no room to even hook up a tv atm so if it didn't have off tv play, I couldn't get it. Will play the demo tonight to see if I like it enough and if I do will buy in June or July (can't at launch sadly. I better be able to buy those Smash costumes later!)

hatchx

Banned

Playing it as online co-op with friends was the biggest thing I was looking forward to in this game. Yeah yeah yeah they don't want little Timmy to get pub stomped and go crying to his mommy. But to remove such a basic fucking feature as a party system is just.... Nintendo. -_-

Nevertheless, I'll be there for the first time slot. Hopefully things will function properly, and we'll actually get some games in.

I'm really curious about this too. What if we can only get a room of six friends? What if I want to play with myself and 1/2 other friends?

It may work in such a way where playing with a friend will put you in a room with a bunch of other 'friends'. So if me and my friend join, we'll be paired with other values of friends.

Then again, what if someone drops out of turf-battle now? Does it become a 3 VS 4? It would make sense if they were replaced by bots (we know they have some form of AI in the game in the Octolings). So I imagine maybe if you and your 1/2 friends want to play, it matches you as best it can and fills the rest with AI bots?

I really have no idea how this will work. They havn't address the 'under 8 players' scenario yet.

Chaos17

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 2 minil y a 2 minutes
The Squid Research Lab has new info about the #Splatoon Global Testfire. Check out the weapons you can play with!

CEg19GsUEAEBQXr.jpg

Nintendo of America ‏@NintendoAmerica 2 minil y a 2 minutes
Check out http://SplatoonUS.tumblr.com for more info, including what stages will be playable! #Splatoon

tumblr_no1uu5aX231u3akyno1_1280.jpg

DaBoss

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/118469836464/sorry-for-the-avalanche-of-information-but-weve
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/118469558124/weve-learned-which-locations-will-be-available-in
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/118469596064/saltspray-rig-features-multiple-levels-of
Yeah its weird because my dorm WiFi can play 3DS online games just fine but not Wii U games, I guess Wii U games require a higher connection speed cause more stuff is going on?
Not really sure, but I guess that could be the case. I was mainly talking about how hotel WiFi usually leads to high latency which would cause a lot of lag.
You don't know how happy this makes me then. Thanks!! :)

I have no room to even hook up a tv atm so if it didn't have off tv play, I couldn't get it. Will play the demo tonight to see if I like it enough and if I do will buy in June or July (can't at launch sadly. I better be able to buy those Smash costumes later!)
It isn't confirmed to have Off-TV Play.

There is no mention of Off-TV Play in the eShop. The testfire demo tells you to look at the TV, which most likely means there is no Off-TV Play for the demo.

Seems like there is going to be no Off-TV Play outside of the local vs mode where one person uses the TV and the other uses the GamePad screen.

TheMoon

http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/118469836464/sorry-for-the-avalanche-of-information-but-weve
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/118469558124/weve-learned-which-locations-will-be-available-in
http://splatoonus.tumblr.com/post/118469596064/saltspray-rig-features-multiple-levels-of

Not really sure, but I guess that could be the case. I was mainly talking about how hotel WiFi usually leads to high latency which would cause a lot of lag.

It isn't confirmed to have Off-TV Play.

There is no mention of Off-TV Play in the eShop. The testfire demo tells you to look at the TV, which most likely means there is no Off-TV Play for the demo.

Seems like there is going to be no Off-TV Play outside of the local vs mode where one person uses the TV and the other uses the GamePad screen.

I'd be shocked if the singleplayer doesn't support it too. Would be really weird and usual if it didn't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom