• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon is the highest selling Wii U game on eShop of All-Time in Japan

impact

Banned
Imagine how many copies if this was a 3DS game o_o

Surprised to see Japan support a multiplayer shooter on home console, no matter what the quality of the game is.

phanphare

Banned

Surprised to see Japan support a multiplayer shooter on home console, no matter what the quality of the game is.

realistically a 3DS version of Splatoon would probably ass

or just impossible

foxuzamaki

Doesn't read OPs, especially not his own
We don't even know how many copies it sold because it was exclusive, either. It confused and angered a lot of people, IIRC.

Although, I don't think the original Xenoblade did that well in Japan, either. If XCX doesn't do well outside of Japan, I imagine they'll tell Monolithsoft to stop spending so much money.

But I don't think you can call Splatoon anything but a success, particularly in Japan because console sales are dead, the Wii U is deader, and Shooters don't do that well. Also the game was probably made in a little over a year. So Nintendo obviously hit on something with it. Does it need improvements? Yes. How much of the game's design was built around the idea that it wouldn't sell a lot? Probably quite a bit. I'd hope going forward stuff like Ranked having all extra Modes and 4-hour map rotations are gone and Friend Lobbies are something they have at launch going forward.

if nintendo says it is a success then its a success, remember not every game needs to sell a million to be considered a success, even persona 4 has yet to meet 1 million(its at 900,000+ right now) but it was incredibly successful for atlus.

if nintendo says it is a success then its a success, remember not every game needs to sell a million to be considered a success, even persona 4 has yet to meet 1 million(its at 900,000+ right now) but it was incredibly successful for atlus.
Pretty sure P4G alone sold a million. Second best selling Vita game.

Skipzoid

Neo Member
Not to take away from the achievement, but calling something the "highest selling game, on the Wii U eShop, in japan, of all time" is a ton of qualifiers

So, Splatoon has kind of become the Wii U's Wii Sports (or its Pokemon). It's selling consoles and other games where nothing else was before.

Maybe this might convince Nintendo to hold off on the NX. The Wii U could easily make it to 2018-19 on the back of Splatoon and a couple other of those Garage Games.

Neoxon

Splatoon isn't the best fit for the 3DS, & not just because of hardware limitations (but trust me, Splatoon would run like shit on the 3DS even with a graphical downscale).

phanphare

Banned
So, Splatoon has kind of become the Wii U's Wii Sports (or its Pokemon). It's selling consoles and other games where nothing else was before.

Maybe this might convince Nintendo to hold off on the NX. The Wii U could easily make it to 2018-19 on the back of Splatoon and a couple other of those Garage Games.

no it couldn't

Fandangox

Platoon is a success and it seems it even managed to sell a bit of consoles in Japan' but there's no way it alone could sustain the Wii U till 2018 let alone 2019. Unless you were joking of course.

Converse

Banned
I feel like I'm living in a bizzaro world, where a weird-assed game that I really like on a niche console is enjoying sales success. Good on you, Splatoon. Good on you.

I bought this game the old school way: I liked the art (character design, specifically.)

So imagine how happy I was once I realized the game is actually extremely fun. Well deserved.

Actually surprised it did so well digitally. Originally I was gonna put this on the backlog but with the amiibo coming out and I had preordered after I saw target was giving away the squirt gun I decided to pick it up on launch.

Really nintendo should pair games with the amiibo or have them with a digital copy of a game for profit. I'm sure wooly world, Mario maker and Chibi Robo will have some success from amiibo pairings

Xemnas89

If the game had come out in the first year It might have had that kind of selling power but it's too late for that now. I'm just glad a new IP from nintendo released 3 years into the Wii U life span was able to sell well.

jholmes

Their point is that selling the most on the eShop... in Japan... for the WiiU... is basically like selling nothing.

Their point is that a game outselling, on a certain format, within a month every other game, many of which have been available for years, is like selling nothing?

That's either ignorance or some console war BS. Splatoon grabbing that crown in such a short period of time is either saying a lot about the game or about Japanese consumers warming up to digital purchases, either of which is good news in my book.

PetrCobra

Eating crow now. Drinking pee now. Eating crow drinking pee eating crow drinking pee eating crow nooooooooow.

Couldn't stop laughing for a few seconds. Well done.

And seriously, this game is so good and so mainstream at the same time it deserves to sell in the COD levels. And while that will never happen in the current situation, I'm glad it's doing at least well enough for Nintendo to take note.

Vena

Actually surprised it did so well digitally. Originally I was gonna put this on the backlog but with the amiibo coming out and I had preordered after I saw target was giving away the squirt gun I decided to pick it up on launch.

Really nintendo should pair games with the amiibo or have them with a digital copy of a game for profit. I'm sure wooly world, Mario maker and Chibi Robo will have some success from amiibo pairings

Being only 2GB probably helped with the digital adoption.

Zemm

Not sure if serious.

Awesome! I hope there's still a healthy population for a long time. Looking forward to August when we can party up on the same team with friends.

When Nintendo's on their A game it feels great. Just imagine if we lived in a world where we could play Super Mario 3D World co-op online with friends.

Ansatz

realistically a 3DS version of Splatoon would probably ass

or just impossible

I can't imagine playing the game without gyro aiming. Sure 3DS has that functionality but it's not viable to use it as you would be moving the main screen around at the same time. It's ok for slow paced exploration games like Zelda, I can't see it working well with an intense game like Splatoon. Especially since it's a TPS game. In Zelda you enter 1st person view when using the gyro.

Imagine using an inkstrike, how would you even place it on that tiny map?

I really hope they offer gamepad support on NX. It would make or break Splatoon for me honestly. I can't stand dual analog based shooters.

Splatoon made me buy a Wii U! So glad I did. This is pure 100% videogame fun. I think I love Nintendo again.

Well deserved, indeed! :)

beril

I can't imagine playing the game without gyro aiming. Sure 3DS has that functionality but it's not viable to use it as you would be moving the main screen around at the same time. It's ok for slow paced exploration games like Zelda, I can't see it working well with an intense game like Splatoon. Especially since it's a TPS game. In Zelda you enter 1st person view when using the gyro.

Imagine using an inkstrike, how would you even place it on that tiny map?

I really hope they offer gamepad support on NX. It would make or break Splatoon for me honestly. I can't stand dual analog based shooters.

I actually did a little test with Splatoon style gyro camera on 3DS after playing it. Just hacked it into a little test application and played around with it a bit and I thought it worked really well. Maybe it would get tiring in longer play session but I don't really see why. Obviously doesn't work well with 3D enabled on OG 3DS though; and I'm not sure how it would react if you're playing it on the buss or a train.

More like, assuming a home console NX is a thing, we'll see Splatoon 2 for it in 2 to 3 years. I don't see them prolonging the Wii U's lifespan but I do see them pushing their new online shooter IP that people have been singing the praises of.

phanphare

Banned
I actually did a little test with Splatoon style gyro camera on 3DS after playing it. Just hacked it into a little test application and played around with it a bit and I thought it worked really well. Maybe it would get tiring in longer play session but I don't really see why. Obviously doesn't work well with 3D enabled on OG 3DS though; and I'm not sure how it would react if you're playing it on the buss or a train.

I couldn't play this on a bus or train

too much cursing lol

jholmes

My issue with Splatoon on 3DS isn't controls so much as it is screen size, both to check the lower screen and interact with it but also to see the details on the main screen. Not only do you need a very accurate lay of the land in terms of paint but the game gives you very subtle clues as to where players are when they're moving in the paint, or the direction they're shooting paint from around a corner, and the game would lose a lot of depth without a proper HD display, I think.

I couldn't play this on a bus or train

too much cursing lol

This too. I don't want strangers to know the things I say about other people I don't know who are playing Splatoon.

Top Bottom