• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon: Motion controls on or off?

Neff

Ok so I upped my game with the motion controls and took the sensitivity to max.

This shit is bitchin'.

Ok so I upped my game with the motion controls and took the sensitivity to max.

This shit is bitchin'.
The sad thing is that the industry in general is not following what Nintendo is doing in regards to gyroscopic aiming. Even if not as advanced as the Wii U Gamepad the DS4 has motion sensing and since the PS4 gets the lion's share of shooters there's potential to improve aiming in this games.

Not to mention it is more sattisfying to play a game where the player is actually aiming than rely on aim assistance. Just this along makes this type of hybrid aiming have a strong reason for existing.

Haines

Banned
I loved the motion controls but had to turn them off. Too big of a controller to be constantly turning with my wrists. I'll try it again some day but for now analog is fine.

Tried motion in the first stress test and hated it. I prefer motion to be an assist to sticks, like in Uncharted Golden Abyss. Relegating an entire axis to motion just feels wrong to me.

Anyway I play with sticks at -3 sensitivity and am #1 on my team with 1200+ points nearly every round. I highly doubt I would do any better with motion.

oni-link

I just read this on Forbes:

Nintendo's 'Splatoon' Will Be Terrible Unless You Change One Setting At The Start

I think most Wii U owners will enjoy Splatoon, but there’s one, very significant piece of advice I can offer that will help players out from the beginning. Because when I first started things up and got dropped into the tutorial, I found myself saying “is this how it’s going to be the whole time?”

What I’m talking about is the game’s insistence on players using the Gamepad’s gyroscope-based motion controls, which are turned on by default. The intro level has players coating the landscape with paint, popping balloons and turning into a squid, but instead of using the second joystick to aim and tweak the camera, you literally move the Gamepad itself around.

You can get used to this over time, if you really want to, but it really screws up the camera, and never feels as comfortable as using the two traditional joysticks does. Past this, keeping motion controls on for the high-intensity online multiplayer modes is nothing short of a death sentence because it highly restricts your ability to make quick turns, a necessity when enemy squids are blasting you with paint from all sides.

It’s kind of sad that I even have to write a post like this, but this is how awful I found the motion controls, and I know other reviewers felt the same way. It goes to show that whatever Nintendo’s strengths are in game-building, they’re still struggling with hardware. Their architecture disallows effective online partying and split screen play when other systems would have little problem with either. And by turning the Gamepad’s motion controls on by default, it only serves to remind us how terrible motion controls are the vast majority of the time. Hell, I forgot that the Gamepad even had the capability, which is how seldom it’s used.

The entire Wii U was built around the Gamepad, yet more often than not, it’s an obstacle more than a boon to whatever game is being played. Whatever functionality the Gamepad offers, chances are it doesn’t outweigh the abysmal battery life of a controller with an always-on screen in the middle of it.

Splatoon is a fine game, and you can use the Gamepad somewhat helpfully to warp to teammates in multiplayer or check out the ink spread of a map. But the motion controls? They have the potential to turn a good game into an irritating one, and so I thought this Public Service Announcement would help new players enjoy the game more than they would have otherwise.

I'm still trying with them on, and I'm getting better, but they're not really intuitive for me, not sure if I should switch them off and go with what I know works or stick with them,

Maybe once ranked matches and modes where getting kills are more important become available a lot of people will drop motion

Nintendo's 'Splatoon' Will Be Terrible Unless You Change One Setting At The Start

I'm still trying with them on, and I'm getting better, but they're not really intuitive for me, not sure if I should switch them off and go with what I know works or stick with them,

Maybe once ranked matches and modes where getting kills are more important become available a lot of people will drop motion

Good god, what a terrible article.

My guess is he was holding the controller up and waving it all around in a Gerstmann-like attempt at "figuring it out."

Peltz

That article...
giphy.gif

NotLiquid

Used to be off but after single player it's now permanently on.

I love this method. It takes some time to get used to but it really makes all the difference. Using it as a subtle aiming supplement can make all the difference.

prag16

Banned
Good god, what a terrible article.

My guess is he was holding the controller up and waving it all around in a Gerstmann-like attempt at "figuring it out."

No shit huh. The dude must have zero fine motor skills, or something. Terrible, terrible article. Hopefully nobody takes it to heart.

Top Bottom