• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon |OT4| You're a detriment to your squad

Javier

And done!

mHexue2.jpg

Definitely my best Splatfest so far.

Geg

mywViJL.jpg

Burger Queen get, though honestly the vibe meter is only that high because I got in a room with SM and Kevin, and later Smashley. Run last night wasn't very good.

EulaCapra

Can't believe I'm missing Splatfest again.

It wouldn't bother me if the fact that it was Nickelodeon Splat Orange vs. Nickelodeon Slime Green! Why isn't this color combination in every match!? Mint Blue is not the same as green.

DaBoss

Can't believe I'm missing Splatfest again.

It wouldn't bother me if the fact that it was Nickelodeon Splat Orange vs. Nickelodeon Slime Green! Why isn't this color combination in every match!? Mint Blue is not the same as green.
Yea, this color combo is amazing. I think it is the best one out of all the Splatfests.

ChrisD

I know I said I didn't want to do this Splatfest, but the amount of points to max rank to King was enough to get me to level 50:

Finally got to level 50!

Wear the Captain's Hat with pride! :D

I'm not sure I'll play the next Fest lol. I've never been so happy to complete a pointless objective in a game in my life.
And I'm on Burgers! I thought all the kids were Pizza!

WALKMAN04

GGs to everyone for the tourney and the hype matches! Big thanks to James for getting this all set up, and to Toadsili and Walkman for commentary! :) I also want to give a shout out to DaBoss, Ryechu, Kevin and CMDiego for being super awesome teammates :) And to all the players that participated, thanks for giving it your all!

I enjoyed playing and watching the GAF tourney matches, and would definitely be down for a GAF tourney next time!
Thanks really glad you liked it the tourney and my commentary with the "fake" persona I put on lol. Was amazing watching you out there, was really impressed with your play today, probably the best performance out of anyone outside of the competitive splatoon players, real good job out there.
Zero²;188070064 said:
Now that I finished my semester, time to get back into Squid battles~
Cant wait to try and master all these new weapons!
It's been a while, nice to see that your gonna play again!
Thanks guys. It was a fun tournament.
Glad you enjoyed it, I know James will organize another tourney in the future, with being a great player and having competitive experience I'm sure James will make it real fun.
Our second GAFHouse tournament is over. Thanks again to everyone that played, watched and even commentated! Final Bracket can be found here. Again there were one or two last minute changes to the teams which ended up as:

We might do one again in the future, maybe even crazier rules, so keep an eye out in the OT or on Discord (Quote me for Discord link: ) about that.
I don't see me listed as supreme champion. All I got to say James is you got exposed http://www.twitch.tv/toadsili_t/v/28461032
love you James thanks for running these tournies it's nice to play with gaf again, after we went competitive we don't really play with them much so it was nice to have a tourney where both competitive and non competitive players could have fun. Btw does this mean I'm moving to .52 gal in tournies now, I know your the captain of the team but I think I proved I'm the superior player :p

And to the rest of gaf hope to see more new people in the next neogaf tourney!

Well I was planning to try to go max on Splatfests to get my all my gear fully slotted but a combination of not feeling so strong and Xenoblade X being out this week made me only go to defender. I was also losing a ton.

Hopefully burgers win and I get more sea snails.

Nico_D

Our second GAFHouse tournament is over.

Thanks for arranging it! As said it was a brilliant idea! And well organized.

If anything, I'd hope that in the future the tournament would be built so that as many people as possible would be able to play. Meaning, I might be just a tad salty over the fact that after waiting whole day for the event, I got to play one match of Turf War on the worst map. I think one solution is that those who played the previous day, are reserves on the second if there's excess players.

Edit: maybe next time, Walkman could also tone down the "fake persona" if doing commentary.

Geg

Third splatfest win for me! Would have been fourth if I'd bother to participate in cars vs. planes.

Callie continues her splatfest domination

That EU splatfest theme LMAO

I dunno why you guys are saying it's bad, it's hilarious (and the best original one they've had).

totally sounds like a GAF suggestion too

Kangi

Saw it coming a mile away. So many mirror matches, and so many bad players.

At least a clear majority have good tastes.

Just when I thought I could never love again...

I get a triple kill with one Inkzooka shot on Hammerhead on Rainmaker as all of them left their spawn. I could feel the aura of smug as the Rainmaker holder nonchalantly walked to the goal.

And then I finally got my first triple sub re-roll with my Blue Moto Boots getting triple Run Speed up along with the Ink Resistance main.

Game took pity on me after that disgusting Splatfest.

Kastrioti

Persecution Complex
Our second GAFHouse tournament is over. .

I should have played but I was really rusty after my one month break to where I don't think I could've made GAF D(elta) Squad as a Roller. Random matches with GAF players playing are almost always intense, let alone planned map, weapon strategies after some practice.

ryechu was GAF Team A(lpha), right?

Participation in the thread has fucking tanked, jesus

The community has switched to IRC and other communication channels. Nintendo has done plenty releasing new content but stuff like getting matches together takes place elsewhere.

Splatoon has more OTs than Witcher 3, MGSV and Halo 5, who would've thought that at the start of the year?

Apparently this text was datamined.
https://twitter.com/NWPlayer123/status/673386300477607936 said:
If Pizza won.....
Marie: Pizza wins!
Marie: You know what this.means... PIZZA PARTAY!
Callie: But I wanted a burger party...

KevinCow

Banned
I recently started playing Splatoon again, and I've decided that the towers level is fucking abysmal. Literally the only thing that matters is how good your snipers are. Fuck this shit.

nom

Thanks for arranging it! As said it was a brilliant idea! And well organized.

If anything, I'd hope that in the future the tournament would be built so that as many people as possible would be able to play. Meaning, I might be just a tad salty over the fact that after waiting whole day for the event, I got to play one match of Turf War on the worst map. I think one solution is that those who played the previous day, are reserves on the second if there's excess players.

Edit: maybe next time, Walkman could also tone down the "fake persona" if doing commentary.

Thank you!

I think if we do it again it will be a one day event - this weekends tournament was organised on the spur of the moment after Nintendo's Treehouse tournament so there were a few things I definitely could have done better.

I really hope people enjoyed it though and we can do more GAFHouse tournaments in the future :D I have a couple of ideas so that everyone can play more games while still being able to finish in 2~ hours. The main issue we are always going to have though is finding a 2 hour time slot which everyone can play - but I'll look into what Moskito posted.

Azure J

Participation in the thread has fucking tanked, jesus

Finals. GAF has a lot of students.

no, it's been slowing down way before finals, all OTs slow down over time, same happened with the Smash OT

although my anecdotal observations suggest Nintendo OTs tend to grind to a halt more abruptly than others, regardless of what time of year it is

The discord server killed the thread.

Plus a bunch of awesome games have come out recently as well. Each of them fighting for attention.

I'm going to fill in the "all of the above" option.

Thank you!

I think if we do it again it will be a one day event - this weekends tournament was organised on the spur of the moment after Nintendo's Treehouse tournament so there were a few things I definitely could have done better.

I really hope people enjoyed it though and we can do more GAFHouse tournaments in the future :D I have a couple of ideas so that everyone can play more games while still being able to finish in 2~ hours. The main issue we are always going to have though is finding a 2 hour time slot which everyone can play - but I'll look into what Moskito posted.

Seriously James, this event was a ton of fun and as I mentioned before, I'd love to make it a more regular occurance. This past weekend (while easy enough on me) was kinda nutty due to some situations that I had to deal with before the Saturday tourney but otherwise, I would have tried to promote it more and get it some exposure. Not saying we need to go totally e-Sports with our presentation, but I think it'd be totally rad to play it up some more so that both the loveable goofs of SplatGAF and Splatoon itself get more spotlight.

That said, as soon as this semester ends and work eases up on me, I'm going into grind mode and I want that SquidTropics v. Name Too Stupid 2 Change run back.

/PJSalt

Edit: To make it more fun, we should have random "title/awards" that are voted on by viewers and players. For example, I'd totally nominate Tingly (CoconutTank) for a "Most Admirable Perfomance"/"Sleeper S+++ Player" award.

J@hranimo

Banned
Ok so now that I'm up, time to catch up!

Burger vs Pizza. I'm a little surprised there were that many more Pizza votes over Burger o_O. I knew it was more but not THAT much. Also I have 18 snails left and I'm not too sure how to use them all quite yet.

Thread has slowed down indeed. Whenever we do get to that OT5 mark we should definitely have the title reference Discord and its effect on the thread :p

Both GAFHouse Tourneys were fun as hell and I'm defnitely down to participate again as well. I regret not catching the Finals for Day 2 due to surprise exhaustion and needed to rest a bit.

If I had to choose for EU splatfest, I would go pineapple pizza = yay. It is pretty good.

Alright, back to grinding this gear in turf...

DaBoss

Most of us who have been playing the game regularly have been using Discord since August (I think). If we didn't, we probably would be at like OT7 lol.

Victory for Team Burger, I wasn't even surprised, most of my team mates were pretty bad. Found a good team an we were together until we all reached the pizza king title. We just lost one match, felt invincible for a while, after that I struggled to find a good team. I have a screenshot but I'm on my phone.

After our defeat I was very frustrated I decided to release my anger at the other team in ranked battle... Went from level A to B-... I'll never play angry again.

phanphare

Banned
yes! thank you spyke. I got triple damage up subs on my white headband and triple run speed up subs on my blue moto boots. with 3 snails to spare too.

EvilMario

Will QA for food.
Won what felt like 2/3 of my matches as Burger. It was pretty much 50/50 early on, lots of sub-400p chargers on my teams, but when I hit Champion I managed to find and stay on a team that didn't lose until I hit Queen.

I recently started playing Splatoon again, and I've decided that the towers level is fucking abysmal. Literally the only thing that matters is how good your snipers are. Fuck this shit.
Yeah, I agree that Moray Towers can get super congested in the middle. I usually pick loadouts with at least 1 long range option, but if I didn't I would usually work on charging my special and using it to break enemy chargers out of their sniper perch. Inkzooka is IMO still the best option for dealing with chargers, even despite all the nerfs it's gotten. The only specials that won't help you much with breaking a sniper perch are echolocator and maybe bomb rush.

Barring specials and just through tactics, there are still some opportunities for players to make things miserable for chargers.

1) If you do manage to storm the enemy's sniper perch and camp there, the enemy drop off to the sniper perch is so high up that their charger shots will be at really awkward angles to fight you with.

2) If you go up the enemy wall with the grated steps, that particular position is also fairly advantageous; the enemy's drop off to that position is also way high up, and you get easy downhill access to the enemy's sniper perch.

3) If you can get really close to the enemy's wall at mid, then you also force their charger shots down at you to be at very awkward angles. As a Custom Jet Squelcher user, I tend to defer to this strategy if I don't have Kraken ready yet, but I know that 96 Gals and Dual Squelchers should have enough range to hit that far up as well. You can also throw bombs up there to harass chargers off the edges of the walls if you have bombs in your loadout.

Out of curiosity, what loadout do you usually use? That might help with giving more specific advice.

Started playing Splatoon again. Like the new map, but the squid gods hate me. Went 15-1 with 1490p and still lost.

Every single match I've had on it has been me with an entire team of eLiters that have no clue how to use it. Seriously. 5 matches in a row in which my team comprised entirely of me and 3 charger users.

Ansatz

These past couple of hours of ranked have been mixed lobbies, anything from A to S and because of the massive gap in skill between players a lot of games are very unbalanced. Not enjoyable to play at all

ChrisD

Yo, just won a game where it was 2S/2B- on our side, and 3S/1S+ on theirs. Nice six points from that one! Was wondering why on earth one would bring an Aerospray RG into Rainmaker. Even MG can work in the mode, RG can pretty much... Inkstrike stuff.

Regardless, I'm happy. ^^

Edit: Oh yeah, during the game I found out about the super shortcut on Mahi Mahi Resort. Tried to take it in the next round to see that it wasn't there...Then it hit me that it only shows up when the water level changes. I'm not sure how I'll feel about the route when everyone knows about it, but right now I really like that it opens up such a large distance cut. Prevents a team from ever turtling since you now have three main paths to deal with.

Top Bottom