• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splatoon promotion has begun - Nintendo starts 'Add color to your world' ad campaign

It's been confirmed there is no voice chat, at least with randoms. Nothing has been said about friends I think.
Please God add voice chat with friends to this game. Otherwise it proves how stinking clueless Nintendo still is with regards to online games. They need to get with the f@&$ing times.

Mr-Joker

Banned
Not bad, though colour is missing a U.
Yes I know it's how the US misspell Colour ;p

Can't wait to buy it and play it.

Between this and the rumored amiibo support, it's more than they did for The Wonderful 101, which was literally sent to die. I mean, there's not much else they can do. If it bombs, they can (and should) blame the platform.

Man The Wonderful 101 would have been perfect for Amiibo, just a shame that it was released before Amiibo became a thing.

Was surprised to see a video of this at the Wii U demo kiosk today. Can't think of any other game they put up 3 months before release.

Also had Kirby and Mario Party demos.

Assuming this Splatoon eShop page was not outdated or incomplete, then it is safe to say there is no voice chat at all. And it doesn't mention anything about Pro Controllers, so local multi isn't confirmed 100%.

4sme9Ld.png

The developers recently re-confirmed local MP in Famitsu. It's in the game.

Edit - Actually, I don't know how accurate this information is. The Reddit post links to a GAF thread but I don't see the local MP info in the thread itself, so honestly, I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. That being said, local MP was absolutely confirmed at last year's E3, so unless something has changed, it's in the game. In addition there's confirmation of 1-on-1 battles via Splatoon's Tumblr page.

Fbh

Good slogan for the game and it also works great with all the people complaining about games having too much brown and grey.

Game looks like a lot of fun, but after Smash I think I'll just pass on getting games on my WiiU for the online

Not with THAT attitude

Seriously, people that push the "New IP from Nintendo will bomb" narrative are awful.

No, they're just realistic.

Yeah, same with the platinum games are going to bomb narrative, there's a word for it but I can't quite remember it, self fulfilling prophecy, that's it.

That doesn't even make sense. Are you implying that people didn't buy certain Platinum games because they thought other people wouldn't? Where's the logic in that claim? If anything the exact opposite happened.

---------------

Anyway, it's nice to see Nintendo advertising their efforts, but a few signs are only going to do so much. I'll wait before I "hand it to Nintendo". Outside of a couple exceptions (for games that were guaranteed to sell very well, like Smash) NOA has really been dropping the ball on advertising for a long, long time.

Also seriously? No local multiplayer, no voice chat, and no Wii Remotes? ...

Edit: Looked up, so there is local and voice chat?

Vena

I've got to hand it to Nintendo, they're really taking Splatoon seriously. I'm not sure how successful it's going to be, but at least they're trying. I love how colorful everything looks!

They should make a commercial using footage from every generic brown shooter, and then have the Inklings paint it with color.

Vena

Actually, I don't know how accurate this information is. The Reddit post links to a GAF thread but I don't see the local MP info in the thread itself, so honestly, I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. That being said, local MP was absolutely confirmed at last year's E3, so unless something has changed, it's in the game. In addition there's confirmation of 1-on-1 battles via Splatoon's Tumblr page.

Its there, but its an "intended" part of the game along with Hero Mode.

4v4 Online Multiplayer (No chat with randos, no word on friends.)
Local in some form (probably 1v1)
Hero Mode

Of course, they may have scrapped parts of the plan or couldn't find a way to make local work, not sure. I wouldn't be surprised if local multi didn't have/use the tap-fly abilities at all, and everyone is ground-forced to be able to just have a shoot out.

Vena

You and me both. I have faith it'll do well
disclaimer: with the context of the Wii U's current reality that is
though.

Nonsense.

Its Destiny™ is to sell millions of copies. You have to believe!
And buy a million copies.

How you gonna make an online shooter and not have voice chat? Talking strategy is vital to succeeding in shooters.

Although whether this game will be competitive or not is yet to be seen so it might not matter.

I know it's never a guarantee with Nintendo but couldn't they add additional modes since they are supporting this even after it launches???

Yeah, that most likely would mean conventional DLC but could they add modes and such if people aren't happy with the possibly limited ones that are at release???

DR2K

Banned
Not with THAT attitude

Seriously, people that push the "New IP from Nintendo will bomb" narrative are awful.

It's just as bad as those know it alls thay say, "the sky will be blue tomorrow".

This has bomb written all over it. It's not the time in Wiius life cycle to debut a new ip if your goal is profits and brand establishment.

-Horizon-

It's just as bad as those know it alls thay say, "the sky will be blue tomorrow".

This has bomb written all over it. It's not the time in Wiius life cycle to debut a new ip if your goal is profits and brand establishment.
Not expanding your portfolio at all for the next 2 years (at the least before they move beyond the Wii U) is a good thing apparently. Wtf. No, that's how you completely solidify the idea that your company can't do jacksquat beyond "rehashes upon rehashes" because that's all gamers will see. That's what they see even when Nintendo makes new IPs "where's all the new console IPs? Why do we keep getting Mario?" Sure, Mario will sell, but that's not how you keep your core fan base happy. They want to see new games from new series too.

This game will have a very high attach rate due to word of mouth on Miiverse.

Whether that means anything due to the low install base is up to you but it's not going to do terribly.

DaBoss

Edit - Actually, I don't know how accurate this information is. The Reddit post links to a GAF thread but I don't see the local MP info in the thread itself, so honestly, I'm not sure how much truth there is to this. That being said, local MP was absolutely confirmed at last year's E3, so unless something has changed, it's in the game. In addition there's confirmation of 1-on-1 battles via Splatoon's Tumblr page.
That's good to hear/read. I guess the eShop page still needs to be updated then.

Thanks for checking for confirmations.
I betting it will sell 2-3 million copies by the end of the year.
How much would you be betting and in what currency?

The online multiplayer details really soured me, so I hope this is a budget release.

I want it, but I'm not going to spend $60 when it's easy to see the problems it's going to have.

Coda

I don't think the game is going to bomb but it's on the Wii U guys. It's only marginally help Nintendo out in terms of revenue. All I know is I'm jumping on this game as soon as it comes out.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz
From what I've played, Splatoon has the potential to be fantastic. Really hoping they can make a success out of this.

Effect

For the longest time I've felt that Nintendo knew what they had when it came to Splatoon. There is a reason why it got so much attention at this past E3 during it's reveal. It might have started off as a small project but I don't doubt once they stopped and looked at it they saw something that could potentially be on the level of Mario Kart and Smash Bros both online and hopefully offline. While it might not do those numbers right out the gate, sure they want it to, I see them trying to make it a success in a way they haven't done for a game or IP in some time.

What really will be the determining factor I think will be what they offer with local multiplayer. As great as MK8 and Smash are online the local multiplayer and offline content is very strong. Hell with Smash you don't even have to go online due to it having so much content and time trials in Mario Kart can keep you busy for a while.Splatoon will need to be just as strong on these fronts or at least building to be as strong.

The online multiplayer details really soured me, so I hope this is a budget release.

I want it, but I'm not going to spend $60 when it's easy to see the problems it's going to have.

Yeah I'm kinda surprised it only has one online multiplayer mode. That just seems really weird and short sighted to me. I wonder how meaty the campaign is.

Coda

It's on the wii u? I thought it was multi plat?

Haha, I'm just making a point that let's not kid ourselves into thinking the Wii U is a commercially successful console. I love the console personally but the general public haven't really given the console a chance yet. I bet a lot of people will when the new Zelda comes out.

That Splatoon theme song started playing in my head while I was reading the thread, help.

Also, a direct must be pretty close by with a release date, surely? one more before E3? please?

Effect

2 to 3 million seems pretty high. Though not impossible, especially around the holiday buying season if the game is received really well and Nintendo really pushes it around then. That's a high attach rate but I can see Nintendo doing it.

If the game is good I think it'll hit a million worldwide by the end of the year. Some Japanese are actually interested in this game and the general hype among it is only behind Zelda and above Xenoblade X range among Wii U releases. Nintendo also seems to actually be marketing it more than their usual amount.

What really will be the determining factor I think will be what they offer with local multiplayer. As great as MK8 and Smash are online the local multiplayer and offline content is very strong. Hell with Smash you don't even have to go online due to it having so much content and time trials in Mario Kart can keep you busy for a while.Splatoon will need to be just as strong on these fronts or at least building to be as strong.

At most they'll offer a two-player mode so it won't match up.

It kind of sucks become the way the game mode works screenwatching is much less effective than in regular deathmatch.

I think the game's failing is going to be not offering enough multiplayer mode variety. Three months from release and only Turf War has been confirmed.

I also have a bad feeling we're getting max ten maps.

If Nintendo wants this to succeed more than voice chat they need more game types and maps. It would be smart to release three or four maps for free at 6 month intervals like Mario Kart.

Josh5890

I also have a bad feeling we're getting max ten maps.

If Nintendo wants this to succeed more than voice chat they need more game types and maps. It would be smart to release three or four maps for free at 6 month intervals like Mario Kart.

This is why we need a Splatoon Direct. There is so much unknown with this game. Maybe a Smash 50 fact extravaganza type direct would be great.

Sawneeks

Banned
Oh man, I can't wait for this game. I also just found out a comic book convention I'm going to in 4 weeks has a good sized Nintendo booth so fingers crossed for a Splatoon demo!

Effect

I think there will be more then one mode but don't count on to many. Mario Kart has battle mode and regular racing. Smash Bros has For Fun and For Glory. Even the tournaments work around these modes. Kid Icarus Uprising has just two I think. I think there will be something else other then Turf War or whatever they end up calling the mode we've seen so far. Those expecting or looking for something what Call of Duty has should get that out of their mind now I think. Otherwise you're just setting yourself up for disappointment.

Calamari41

41 > 38
The game won't set the world on fire with sales, but the important thing is that it sells decently and Nintendo has a "perfected" sequel ready to go for the next system's launch. That's where this series has the potential to really take off.

Shaanyboi

Banned
I've got to hand it to Nintendo, they're really taking Splatoon seriously. I'm not sure how successful it's going to be, but at least they're trying. I love how colorful everything looks!

uhh... a small banner with a generic slogan focused more on their brand than the game doesn't equate to "taking it seriously".

Top Bottom