• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Splinter Cell Double Agent Xbox/PS2 version is superior

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
There really wasn't a bad level in this game. The train, Cozumel and Sea of Okhotsk were all a ton of fun. The final game that took place in New York was one of the toughest in the series. I can't say I cared too much for the Kinshasa mission.

Admittedly the levels that took place in the bunker weren't as good, but were tense.

MAXIMUM DENSITY

Neo Member
I got both versions when they came out and was shocked at how much better the original Xbox version was than the 360 version. To me, It really felt like the true follow up to Chaos Theory. Other than a couple levels, the 360 version just seemed like it didn't fit in to what I expected and wanted out of a Splinter Cell game. That being said I did beat the game 4 times. Hahaha. I wasn't the biggest fan of Conviction either but really thought Blacklist got the series back on track. I really did miss Michael Ironside's though. It made me feel as though I wasn't really playing as Sam Fisher. Back on point though, the Original Xbox version of Double agent wiped the floor with the new gen version at the time imo.

There really wasn't a bad level in this game. The train, Cozumel and Sea of Okhotsk were all a ton of fun. The final game that took place in New York was one of the toughest in the series. I can't say I cared too much for the Kinshasa mission.

Admittedly the levels that took place in the bunker weren't as good, but were tense.

Yeah the last level in New York where you finally get the green light to stop the group is very challenging but super fun. Really loved the game. It didn't have scripted events or high-octane sequences (except maybe the train). Felt really slow and filled with tension. Loved it.

gooface

Banned
The HD collection was just the PC version ported to the PS3. Nothing else, I think that played a big part of why this didn't come with it.

I got the HD collection myself, not because they are the best versions, but because the game is a pain in the rear to get working on PC with the latest hardware and drivers.

I'd love to get my hands on the Xbox or the PS2 version of this game though. I wonder if there are any patches for it that I'd miss out on since Microsoft dropped download support for the original xbox games.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I got both versions when they came out and was shocked at how much better the original Xbox version was than the 360 version. To me, It really felt like the true follow up to Chaos Theory. Other than a couple levels, the 360 version just seemed like it didn't fit in to what I expected and wanted out of a Splinter Cell game. That being said I did beat the game 4 times. Hahaha. I wasn't the biggest fan of Conviction either but really thought Blacklist got the series back on track. I really did miss Michael Ironside's though. It made me feel as though I wasn't really playing as Sam Fisher. Back on point though, the Original Xbox version of Double agent wiped the floor with the new gen version at the time imo.

I feel Blacklist would have been perfect if they had removed all the Assault moments of the game and focused purely on stealth/panther.

Oemenia

Banned
Also Splinter Cell 1 and Chaos Theory team might not have worked on Double Agent XBOX/PS2 version. It is after all a massive studio and they were already busy with Assassin's Creed.

Also Splinter Cell 1 and Chaos Theory team might not have worked on Double Agent XBOX/PS2 version. It is after all a massive studio and they were already busy with Assassin's Creed.
Yeah, I remember reading that they didn't back in the day. They were busy making Splinter Cell Conviction which got scrapped.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Yeah, I remember reading that they didn't back in the day. They were busy making Splinter Cell Conviction which got scrapped.

Either way DA for Xbox/PS2 kept far more in common with Chaos Theory (ala rehash), while the 360 version tried all new things and was moderately successful at times.

In a way this does give me an odd feeling that Assassins Creed: Rogue could end up being better than Assassins Creed: Unity in that the former is a rehash of the previous game (Black Flag) while the new one is a whole new thing.

The difference is that Ubisoft Shanghai isn't involved this time around though.

Oemenia

Banned
Also to those considering the PS2 version, I would really suggest against it. Its survived much better than Chaos Theory did but its still far behind the XBOX version, even with the filtering of PCSX2. The game was pretty expensive back in the day too because of its hardcore cred but its much more affordable now. The 360 runs all the SC games well so that would be the ideal choice.

Considering that the Gamecube is technically superior to the PS2, you should expect it to be at least on par with that version (but not Xbox)
The GameCube versions of other ubisoft games were terrible even compared to the ps2 versions and including splinter cell games so id be suprised if this was any different.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Wait, really? Are there any video breakdowns showing the differences? I never knew this.

No video could come remotely close to illustrating the two game's differences without playing both games side by side from beginning to end.

You have two different games.

It is essentially the same as asking someone to show the differences between Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory.

SkylineRKR

Yeah this was a popular opinion around 2006. The Xbox/Ps2 version is done by Montreal themselves and is a far better game than the next-gen version.

I think the problem was that the PS2 was the lead platform this time, so Xbox CT should be better on a technical level.

So Prince Of Persia: Forgotten Sands wasn't the only game, where they did this? Interesting. Will try to find a Wii copy.

Forgotten Sands on Wii is >>>>>>>> Forgotten Sands on PS3/360

EDIT: it got coop? Online coop? Or couch coop? EDIT2: Looked it up, couch coop. Nice.

I knew about splinter cell... But not about PoP. How is it different?

jgminto

Damn right. Might even be better than Chaos Theory. It's a shame it isn't available on any modern consoles or pc. While I enjoyed the 360/PS3/PC Double Agent as well it's just not on the same level. It also doesn't have the awesome co-op campaign.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Damn right. Might even be better than Chaos Theory. It's a shame it isn't available on any modern consoles or pc. While I enjoyed the 360/PS3/PC Double Agent as well it's just not on the same level. It also doesn't have the awesome co-op campaign.

Yeah, that's the true disappointment is that the only way to play it is on older consoles and not on PC.

mitx

Wait, is the story different or the level design?

Played Double Agent back in the day on PC and what remember it was full of bugs.

Melon Husk

Couldn't believe my luck when I randomly strolled into a used game shop in an abandoned mall and found a copy in good condition. So far I haven't gotten further than the tutorial lvl. I've been putting off DA because my 360 fails to load save states. Checkpoints' quicksaves work if I die, but loading manual saves always results in "corrupt save data". Anybody got a fix for that?

My memory is a bit fuzzy.
Xbox version multiplayer was only Spy vs Spy while 360 had Spy vs Merc, correct?

My first Splinter Cell experience was Spies vs Merc on Chaos Theory. One of the best multiplayer experiences I've ever had. When Double Agent came out, I got the Xbox version only to discover that it didn't have spy vs merc. I promptly returned it and later got the 360 version. Unfortunately I ended up disliking it.

Skipped out on Conviction entirely due to no Spies vs Mercs.

Got Blacklist for PS3 and felt like the multiplayer was finally back to Chaos Theory levels of greatness. I was totally addicted for a couple of weeks but eventually all the glitches frustrated me enough to stop playing.

A few weeks ago I really wanted some SvM so I popped the game in and couldnt even get into a match so I gave up. If Blacklist wasnt a buggy shitpiece it would be amazing.

Any contact with Ubisoft I had only made me more frustrated. They offered no help on glitches and had no plans on patching them. I had a code from some in-game bonus that didn't even work and they wouldnt help with that either. I'm trying not to buy their games anymore.

Yeah, that's the true disappointment is that the only way to play it is on older consoles and not on PC.

Emulation might/probably works. Still it would be nice if there was a native PC version. It probably wouldn't be hard given that if it is based on Chaos Theory's engine - which was and is running fine on PCs. But it will never happen.

Sakujou

Banned
what about the wii version? is it the same as the ps2/gc/xbox version or the same as 360/ps3?

it is always hard to tell...

thenexus6

Might watch a walkthrough, never played this version and love me some splinter cell. Hopefully it features the same awesome soundtrack.

jimi_dini

It was fashioned on Prince of Persia 2008 and was made by a different developer.

????

The Wii Forgotten Sands has its own story, completely different gameplay and levels and way more content (bonus levels, well done achievements like for example all sorts of challenges, speedruns and other stuff, it even has the 1989 PoP Mac included) than the PS3/360 version have. It's also not dumbed down gameplay like PoP 2008 had.

RedSwirl

Sorry to bump this but I took interest again:

So, design-wise, the original Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii versions of Double Agent are the same? Are the PS2-exclusive levels really PS2-only?

Is there a visual comparison between original Xbox, PS2, Cube, and Wii?

And we can confirm the Xbox version is 360 compatible?

@MUWANdo

Banned
How about Dead Rising Wii vs PS360? It being linear and using the RE4 engine makes it sound kinda fun.

It feels like a fan-made total conversion of RE4. It's not objectively terrible but it sure as hell doesn't feel like an authentic Dead Rising game.

Oemenia

Banned

So, design-wise, the original Xbox, PS2, Gamecube, and Wii versions of Double Agent are the same? Are the PS2-exclusive levels really PS2-only?

I played through it on the 360 and it runs perfectly. The Splinter Cell games were generally a lot better graphically on the XBOX than the PS2/GC which also affected their playability. Read the Gamespot reviews for more info.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This has been known since launch. Unfortunately I skipped both. Everything after Chaos Theory. Which I loved.

Just started Blacklist on PC at 4K the other day. Loving it. Feels like SC.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

Right now the best way to play the Xbox/PS2/Cube version of Double Agent is on the 360 using emulation. It does work and works quite well.

As I said in the OP, I believe it is a superior game to the version that appeared on the 360.

BkMogul

So were the differences due to system limitations? I know Amazing Spider-Man had 2 completely different games when it came to PS360 and the Wii.

FrsDvl

Thanks for the bump. Never got to play DA on the og xbox, since I got it for 360. But now that I own an og Xbox again I'll have to track it down!

Galdius

This thread made me remember I still need to get the Xbox version. You are talking so good about it that I will have to buy it soon.

ArmsOfSorrow

Neo Member
Yep, I remember playing it on the Wii quite some time ago, the game was pretty good. I didn't know about those separate versions until I tried to play the PC version last year.

I didn't even make it through the first level and several annoying bugs made me uninstall it right away.

Anarki

I picked up the GameCube version a couple of years back, I was surprised to see it on two discs.

Only played it for about 30mins but did enjoy what little I played, I think I'll give it another go.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I picked up the GameCube version a couple of years back, I was surprised to see it on two discs.

Only played it for about 30mins but did enjoy what little I played, I think I'll give it another go.

Yeah, it does play quite well on 360 using BC.

I remember reading something about how different it was a long time ago, but I never gave much thought into actually playing it. I'll definitely pick up the Xbox version to play on my 360 now, as I am currently almost done with Blacklist (which I really liked and was surprised by). I need more Splinter Cell!

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
It's a Chaos Theory level pack but it's not better than proper Chaos Theory.

My favorite part was the snow field level. The train was cool but the train in Pandora Tomorrow was sexier.

I really do still have to play Blacklist. My 360 is currently not hooked up. That's one game I wish they would port over to current gen.

Top Bottom