• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Persona 5 Spoiler Thread | Steal your heart; steel yourself

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Question about the fifth palace

Does the game fast forward to the arrest if you send out the calling card? Seems that im locked out of s-links with party members atm so do i need to complete the palace first and then i can continue like normal until 20 November?

As always you're just forced to complete the dungeon once you send it out.
After that you have all the usual free you would have had.
So you assumption sounds correct, from an efficiency standpoint getting dungeons out of the way first is generally the best move.

pbayne

As always you're just forced to complete the dungeon once you send it out.
After that you have all the usual free you would have had.
So you assumption sounds correct, from an efficiency standpoint getting dungeons out of the way first is generally the best move.

cheers

vkrili

I heard that, in the Japanese game, they recycled previously voiced lines from the original Igor VA. I think that's what they should have gone with in the English version of the game as well, instead of using a different voice actor altogether to try to imitate who we knew as the actual Igor.
Considering our guy is still alive, there would probably be some serious contract issues with that. I don't think there's any doubt that that's what they wanted to do, but almost assuredly couldn't.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Wait the English real Igor isn't the original English Igor voice? Man that sounds less cool. So far though it seems like the twist still worked out on a decent level?
From what I've heard from people so far it still worked out. Although it makes me wonder if my insistence for people to stay with English to experience this twist in the way it seems to be intended is even all that necessary. If it isn't the original VO anyway I feel like it wouldn't be all that difference to me in my head if it played out in JP.

It would still basically be Igor suddenly being super deep and then revealing the original voice being something more higher pitched. The added layer of going back to something you know and trust wouldn't be there in both cases for me.

But I don't know.

FluxWaveZ

Considering our guy is still alive, there would probably be some serious contract issues with that. I don't think there's any doubt that that's what they wanted to do, but almost assuredly couldn't.

Then why not just bring back the original VA?

Totakeke

One reason to not use the original Igor is that it telegraphs the twist too blatantly given how proficient people are at identifying those connections nowadays.

Holundrian

Unconfirmed Member
Reading the main thread with someone jumping to fast conclusions and being all loud and complainy about it, I'm almost tempted to troll a lil bit in good fun. But at the same time it feels too dangerous and would more than likely would tip the poster off. So let's not :-x

ErzaScarlet77

Neo Member
man, the way they tricked goro into killing MC and the reveal of everyone already knew of him as a tritor is really great.

i was totally expecting the typical "haha im evil now, i backstab MC" i didnt expect the whole crew to actually knows hes a traitor

FluxWaveZ

man, the way they tricked goro into killing MC and the reveal of everyone already knew of him as a tritor is really great.

i was totally expecting the typical "haha im evil now, i backstab MC" i didnt expect the whole crew to actually knows hes a traitor

Yeah, it was pretty amazing. Especially coming from P4's Investigation Team, where they would never have been as cunning as a group to realize and plan something like that.

FluxWaveZ

Sometimes they're just not available. Baker couldn't voice Kanji for the second half of the P4 Anime for example, since he went on his honeymoon at that time.

Maybe, but we know Baker went all Hollywood from the time between Persona 4 and its subsequent spin-offs. Can't say the same could be said of Dan Woren; I feel like they could have surely gotten him for the few lines real Igor has.

Maybe not, though; you're right that these things can apparently get logistically complicated.

Finished about an hour ago.
Holy crap was the story in this game way better than the others.
Love how everything, even stuff you learnt in class was connected to the main plot.

I loved the stuff that went down at the police station, and the detailed explanation of how it all went down.
Also the igor twist was great and something that was really rewarding if you did the twins story.

FluxWaveZ

There was a point where I slightly thought Mishima might become a traitor, despite having maxed his Confidant route. He's the reason the Phan-site poll existed in the first place, and by extension why the Phantom Thieves decided to go after Okumura. Being technologically inclined, based on his handling of the Phan-site and the Medjed incident, I thought he might have been one of the people responsible for the downfall of the Phantom Thieves.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
1474179386138.png

Question about the fifth palace

Does the game fast forward to the arrest if you send out the calling card? Seems that im locked out of s-links with party members atm so do i need to complete the palace first and then i can continue like normal until 20 November?

For that specific chapter just send out the calling card, the game won't skip forward any dates. Reason:
When you're about to send it Goro will suggest delaying to the last possible second. This re-opens up everyone's SLs until the end of the deadline.

FluxWaveZ

Characters often said "mental shutdown" in addition to "psychotic breakdown" at points. I don't think I know what the difference is.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
This cosplayer knew exactly what they were doing.

tumblr_ok5qrpedLl1txlyjvo1_500.jpg

Also

OUPMYed.png

vkrili

Characters often said "mental shutdown" in addition to "psychotic breakdown" at points. I don't think I know what the difference is.

Okumura and Kobaykawa suffered mental shutdowns because their Shadows died. They basically stopped functioning. People who suffered psychotic breakdowns went berserk, like the train driver, but afterwards they regained consciousness since their Shadows were still alive and couldn't explain why they did what they did.

SerRodrik

Quick question about the final day: where on earth is Ryuji? I'm pretty sure I've talked to everyone else I maxed out. The map says I still have a confidant left in Shibuya, but I've been all over and can't seem to find him.

I feel like I'm missing something completely obvious.

FluxWaveZ

Okumura and Kobaykawa suffered mental shutdowns because their Shadows died. They basically stopped functioning. People who suffered psychotic breakdowns went berserk, like the train driver, but afterwards they regained consciousness since their Shadows were still alive and couldn't explain why they did what they did.

Ah... gotcha, I see. Thanks.

Quick question about the final day: where on earth is Ryuji? I'm pretty sure I've talked to everyone else I maxed out. The map says I still have a confidant left in Shibuya, but I've been all over and can't seem to find him.

I feel like I'm missing something completely obvious.

In the arcade at Central Street. It also took me a long time to find him. Dunno why he had to hide out there of all days; had to be Ryuji that would give me the most trouble...

Question regarding Akechi and MC being pulled in by Yaldabaoth. So he basically downloaded an app to both of them so that they can enter the cognitive world. I can imagine him reinstalling the app remotely everytime the MC deletes the app lol.

Was he the one who gave the wild card to the MC? Does Akechi have the wild card as well?

Is the wild card just an unexpected innate power of the MC just like Yu and Minato does in P4 and P3?

Was MC really an intended guest in the velvet room for the real Igor but was somehow highjacked by Yaldabaoth?

SolVanderlyn

Question regarding Akechi and MC being pulled in by Yaldabaoth. So he basically downloaded an app to both of them so that they can enter the cognitive world. I can imagine him reinstalling the app remotely everytime the MC deletes the app lol.

Was he the one who gave the wild card to the MC? Does Akechi have the wild card as well?

Is the wild card just an unexpected innate power of the MC just like Yu and Minato does in P4 and P3?

Was MC really an intended guest in the velvet room for the real Igor but was somehow highjacked by Yaldabaoth?
It's not explained in clear detail, but both Akechi and the hero have the power of the wild card. Going by previous games, this would make them fitting guests for the Velvet Room, although it's unknown if they would have ever entered into it without Yaldabaoth interfering. Given the nature of palaces and the stuff going in the Metaverse, it's likely that the hero at least would have gotten pulled into something. The game could have easily ended after Shido, with Igor having been real all along.

Akechi is the more interesting (and more vague) story. Yalda clearly gave him a Persona because he knew he'd abuse it, or at least that's how I interpreted it.

One of the plot threads I thought felt unresolved was the entire fallout of Shido's confession. It's implied that his associates are going to take over and do something heinous, but then the Metaverse starts merging with Tokyo... because reasons? It's not explained very well, and the whole December sequence feels a lot muddier than the rest of the game. Shido's associates fell off the face of the earth, too.

vkrili

Mementos and the real world were pushed together after Yaldy grew powerful after all the buildup of the collective unconsciousness had nowhere to go and humanity's apathy grew to a breaking point (it was a give and take between humanity and Yaldy - humanity wished for a powerful leader to give their lives meaning without effort, and Yaldy fed that by influencing everyone's Shadows). After the people cheer the Phantom Thieves on and the Holy Grail is stolen and people realize what the fuck, Shido's crimes stopped being "whatever" and his collaborators realized they wouldn't be able to control the public any more. They're still active as can be seen with the people trying to shadow the Phantom Thieves in the ending, but their positions are greatly weakened.

It's so weird how the wiki says that Yaldabaoth is the true leader of the conspiracy. I don't think he ever was in contact with anyone, even Shido.

I think its just that yaldabaoth decided that ruin should happen because the masses has chosen Shido despite his crimes. Shido winning the desires of the masses may be the trigger for Yaldabaoth to restart the world.

If there would be any follow up to P5's story line, Akechi will for surely still be alive because of the out of screen death. He is currently listed as missing.

A persona 5 arena game would be fucking dope with all of the stylish moves the p5 cast has during battles. Would be interesting to see them fight against the investigation team and SEES.

Venfayth

Well Yaldabaoth gave Akechi his powers, and Akechi used them to empower Shido politically, no?

The only thing that's weird to me is that it seems Akechi had quite a head start compared to you.

Then again the game was truly unfair.

Got two questions:

1. The item you get by spending time on valentine with a certain girl, lets you rank up with a girl faster, yes? What does that exactly mean? A guaranteed rank up every time you choose to spent time with her?

2. What would be the best choice, meaning (Which girl is hardest to pick up?)

Got two questions:

1. The item you get by spending time on valentine with a certain girl, lets you rank up with a girl faster, yes? What does that exactly mean? A guaranteed rank up every time you choose to spent time with her?

2. What would be the best choice, meaning (Which girl is hardest to pick up?)
Based on how long it took to rank max, it would be hifumi. Girl took time to level up.

I'm still surprised how the final part of the game just became a smt game.

From the OT

11/10
I'm amazed how the heroes are not suspicious about Akechi who knows a bit too well about everything (dungeon, sister, phantom thieves) and now he just asked them to wait a specific time. Take the hints heroes!

huehuehue

A persona 5 arena game would be fucking dope with all of the stylish moves the p5 cast has during battles. Would be interesting to see them fight against the investigation team and SEES.

Playing has the twins would be so cool!

pbayne

Just finished. Holy hell the finale is glorious. I wonder if they ever do make an answer/golden version if they could potentially fit something into that January-March period because the game wraps up everything pretty tightly.

Edit: oh and if anyone knows how many endings are there?

Zafir

Just finished. Holy hell the finale is glorious. I wonder if they ever do make an answer/golden version if they could potentially fit something into that January-March period because the game wraps up everything pretty tightly.

Edit: oh and if anyone knows how many endings are there?

There's a bad and a good ending, besides the true one.

You can argue missing the deadlines constitutes as endings too. They're kind of variations of a similar ending. Some of them you can guess based on what the deadline was, ie getting kicked out of school, getting sued by madarame.

So what was the deal with Morgana dreaming about his shadow in Mementos? Unless I missed something, that was never addressed.

I was assuming you'd have to fight it at some point.

I wish the real Igor had his original VA. I don't mind the replacement VA but I generally hate recasts.

I always thought the Velvet Room was untouchable and wouldn't fall prey to anything, so that twist was quite shocking to me.

pbayne

When im reflecting on the game as a whole the only two sore points that stick out for me are;

1. Akechi twist is so so obvious that it was actually slightly unpredictable in a way. While it is followed up by the other twist of him being Shido's son, i did groan a little over another plot building up to a betrayal by a character close to the party. And trying to instantly gain sympathy for him before/after his fight just felt flat to me cause he's pretty much an irredeemable scumbag.

2. Haru just doesn't fit. She just always struck me as the odd one out of the team and her introduction arc is completely overshadowed by Morgana's drama and Sae/Shido/Akechi stuff starting. Plus her introduction implies she's some kind of superhero fangirl which i thought would be an interesting personality to conflict with the team but that's quickly dropped for just demure, kind of sheltered rich girl.

Ultimadrago

That Velvet Room scene got the biggest pop-off out of me. Holy shit.

Could someone tell me if that was the original V.A. (in Japanese)? I have no knowledge of it, but I recall people saying that they died and that was the reason for the change. I don't mean to sound insensitive if that was indeed the case, but that made the twist the least, least, least expected thing for me. I was jumping around, honestly.

Way better than the Goro deal, though at least the team also saw how obvious it was. Not sure if that makes it better or not...

Qurupeke

That Velvet Room scene got the biggest pop-off out of me. Holy shit.

Could someone tell me, if that was the original V.A.? I have no knowledge of it, but I recall people saying that they died and that was the reason for the change. I don't mean to sound insensitive if that was indeed the case, but that made the twist the least, least, least expected thing for me. I was jumping around, honestly.

Way better than the Goro deal, though at least the team also saw how obvious it was. Not sure if that makes it better or not...

Yeah, in the Japanese version it's reused lines from previous games.

And I couldn't agree more with you, this is the real twist of the game.

A.J.

Banned
I'm so glad it was, does anyone actually find true endings in massive JRPGs a fun concept.
P4's really wasn't hard to get either, but it was easy to miss since the good ending felt completely natural. While P5's good ending was something you had to pick against a really obvious choice that didn't feel natural. I'm not sure I like that.

FluxWaveZ

P4's really wasn't hard to get either, but it was easy to miss since the good ending felt completely natural. While P5's good ending was something you had to pick against a really obvious choice that didn't feel natural. I'm not sure I like that.

You mean the bad ending that is a result of you accepting Yaldabaoth's deal? That's a hell of a lot more natural than P4G's bad ending where, for whatever reason, P4MC decides to side with the culprit.

Considering everything the protagonist had dealt with up to that point. Considering the fact that he was dealing with a god, and already came close to dying, along with all of his friends. As the leader of the Phantom Thieves, who would feel reluctant to see the group disbanded due to the justice that has come from it and the allies he's met along the way. The possibility of him accepting a reality where the Phantom Thieves flourish and are praised by the masses, where he can continue to have a place as the leader of the group, isn't farfetched at all.

And really, Persona 1 and Persona 4 (more so the latter) are the only games where getting to the true ending is an unnecessarily complex ordeal. It's good that they dialed it back, even if it arguably fit the themes of P4.

God I wish they would follow up on the Persona 5 storyline but in my heart I know that there's really nothing more they could add. It was an amazing ending. ;_;
I don't really care about the Arena games but at least a potential P5 Arena will have the P5 cast an older investigation team.

MKIL65

2. Haru just doesn't fit. She just always struck me as the odd one out of the team and her introduction arc is completely overshadowed by Morgana's drama and Sae/Shido/Akechi stuff starting. Plus her introduction implies she's some kind of superhero fangirl which i thought would be an interesting personality to conflict with the team but that's quickly dropped for just demure, kind of sheltered rich girl.

It's like they were strapped for time, and they needed another female character to balance things out.

I mean, considering she likes gardening, I would have assumed her Persona would be a plant creature or something.

A.J.

Banned
You mean the bad ending that is a result of you accepting Yaldabaoth's deal? That's a hell of a lot more natural than P4G's bad ending where, for whatever reason, P4MC decides to side with the culprit.

Considering everything the protagonist had dealt with up to that point. Considering the fact that he was dealing with a god, and already came close to dying, along with all of his friends. As the leader of the Phantom Thieves, who would feel reluctant to see the group disbanded due to the justice that has come from it and the allies he's met along the way. The possibility of him accepting a reality where the Phantom Thieves flourish and are praised by the masses, where he can continue to have a place as the leader of the group, isn't farfetched at all.

And really, Persona 1 and Persona 4 (more so the latter) are the only games where getting to the true ending is an unnecessarily complex ordeal. It's good that they dialed it back, even if it arguably fit the themes of P4.
I'm comparing the good ending from P4G not the bad end. You can easily get on the train after talking with all your social links and leave the who gave who powers as a mystery.

SkylineRKR

Yeah it goes against the typical oblivious characters that only start to suspect something when they're pretty much being killed.

The fact that the whole 6th palace and arrest was staged to fuck Akechi was good. Also because the game starts there in medias res with you in chains.

And they knew he was a liar from the very moment they first laid eyes on him, at the studio. Though they start to discuss it during the school party.

FluxWaveZ

I'm comparing the good ending from P4G not the bad end. You can easily get on the train after talking with all your social links and leave the who gave who powers as a mystery.

Oh sorry, I get what you mean now. I guess that's a reasonable excuse for it, though there's always the part where it still feels lesser than the "True Ending."

Finally finished this behemoth of a game. Loved it overall but I think the story was weaker than P4 especially near the end.

I also gotta say I feel bad for Goro, not in the whole "I am a traitor" thing, but I think they set up alot of stuff and didn't deliver. Like, he having the Wild Card and being the other person in the "game" Yald was playing with you was just a random one liner thrown down by the villain and never followed up on. Nobody mentions him in the epilogue, nobody really even comments on him besides on the news after his rather sudden death... hell he didn't even show up in the goddamn CREDITS. I mean really? He was in the party at one point! Couldn't even be bothered to give him a silhouette. Hell not even SHIDO mentions Goro after his change of heart!

I think it would've been better if they didn't try to wrap up Goro's character arc in Shido's dungeon. Maybe something like Goro not realizing he was tricked until the calling card is sent for Shido, then he starts freaking out. There's alot of cool stuff they could do with the "other wild card" angle; like maybe Goro accepts Yald's offer of keeping the world with everyone chained in Mementos and himself beloved by the populace; the same offer Yald made for the main character. You could fight him in a battle of wills in the Qlitoph where he's all cynical because of his life as an assassin and determines that humans deserve to have their wills shackled, maybe even citing how often the popularities of himself and the phantom thieves oscillated. He could have a messiah complex from being the chosen of Yald or something, it ties into his pathological need to be acknowledged. They really did try to set up Goro as the detective rival to your group, but like after the "reveal" Goro becomes just a midboss.

Finally finished this behemoth of a game. Loved it overall but I think the story was weaker than P4 especially near the end.

I also gotta say I feel bad for Goro, not in the whole "I am a traitor" thing, but I think they set up alot of stuff and didn't deliver. Like, he having the Wild Card and being the other person in the "game" Yald was playing with you was just a random one liner thrown down by the villain and never followed up on. Nobody mentions him in the epilogue, nobody really even comments on him besides on the news after his rather sudden death... hell he didn't even show up in the goddamn CREDITS. I mean really? He was in the party at one point! Couldn't even be bothered to give him a silhouette. Hell not even SHIDO mentions Goro after his change of heart!

I think it would've been better if they didn't try to wrap up Goro's character arc in Shido's dungeon. Maybe something like Goro not realizing he was tricked until the calling card is sent for Shido, then he starts freaking out. There's alot of cool stuff they could do with the "other wild card" angle; like maybe Goro accepts Yald's offer of keeping the world with everyone chained in Mementos and himself beloved by the populace; the same offer Yald made for the main character. You could fight him in a battle of wills in the Qlitoph where he's all cynical because of his life as an assassin and determines that humans deserve to have their wills shackled, maybe even citing how often the popularities of himself and the phantom thieves oscillated. He could have a messiah complex from being the chosen of Yald or something, it ties into his pathological need to be acknowledged. They really did try to set up Goro as the detective rival to your group, but like after the "reveal" Goro becomes just a midboss.
Oh wow, I just imagined that there could have been a battle with just the MC and Akechi: the latter of who accepted the offer by Yald and the former who opposes both.
While that would have been great, I do like what they did in the end with showing the audience that Akechi is someone that is chained down and that he is never truly free because of his hatred. They could have brought up and went more into detail on why Akechi was chosen however.

A.J.

Banned
Oh sorry, I get what you mean now. I guess that's a reasonable excuse for it, though there's always the part where it still feels lesser than the "True Ending."

The true ending will always be better than the good ending, but you can play through all of P4 and get the good ending and feel like that is the real ending of the game. With P5 the good ending feels like a "not as bad" bad ending since you have to choose a dialogue option to make a deal with an evil god while Lavenza tells you how you shouldn't submit to him.

Basically I feel the true ending isn't as satisfying in this game since you don't really earn it like you did in P4 by asking one more question when you really didn't need to. I still really liked the ending though.

MKIL65

A huge shame that the character with the most wit had to turn into a omnicidal maniac, that needed to be killed off just because...

The way he tricked Sae's shadow with the coins ordeal was amazing. In all honesty, it's hard to imagine the Phantom Thieves outplaying a guy like this. Very disappointing.

I think him, Yusuke and Makoto were honestly the only characters that I enjoyed up to that point, but then the game does a 180.

Top Bottom