• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Spoilers] Resident Evil 7 Demo: "There's More, Right?" Edition

Kyolux

TL;DR: If the engine was programmed to show the icon during unusually long load times, it would make sense for it to show up in the two places we've confirmed it does in the teaser.

Want to agree here... but if you look at the tape in the inventory, there's two icons under it.. one of them is a vhs, the other is the reel icon.

HereticJ

Want to agree here... but if you look at the tape in the inventory, there's two icons under it.. one of them is a vhs, the other is the reel icon.

I find that suspicious, too. I thought the two dots next to the spinning reel look similar but not exactly, like the record buttons on all the cassette recorders I've seen throughout my life, audio and video. I had hopes for the microphone theory but I don't have a microphone to test, personally.

I'm by no means a game programmer or anything like that, it was just a theory I had based on previous gameplay experience with a lot of scratched disks/slow computers with trouble loading.

BroBot

People should just use the Finger on everything.

But haven't you heard?
giphy.gif

https://youtu.be/PSagK41RfEM

Sorry I had to post it, too hilarious.

-MD-

not sure if this is normal and if it is I will edit out my post. but I notice that whenever I interact with the kitchen pot on the VHS world the video seem to skip. This wasn't happening and it started about an hour or so ago (been replaying the tape for 4)

https://youtu.be/v12lm_Ol5ZE?t=4m52s
https://youtu.be/v12lm_Ol5ZE?t=10m49s

I checked another random playthrough on youtube, same skip seems to happen.

Edit: Huh, checked another one after that and his didn't skip at all, weird.

Z

ZombieFred

Unconfirmed Member
How goes it Family? How deep in the rabbit hole are we at or is our still old grumpy old uncle still hitting us from trying to get some daylight at the door and after making a cheeky phone call to the social services? :(

The "I SHALL DASH THEM/YOU AGAINST THE STONES" makes me want to try dashing into things.
Once we've essentially gotten to this:
Hit-Wall.gif

Then yes I know Capcom is watching and laughing their arses off

A VHS Go Pro strapped to his head.
Keep in mind it is 2017 so it's possible. Maybe a new kind of 16:9 VHS

Got bored and made this. Remember Family, it's always sunny in the Dulvey house!

ZAPY26L.png

Open for full effect

FFS spoilers!

carlsojo

Once we've essentially gotten to this:
Hit-Wall.gif

Then yes I know Capcom is watching and laughing their arses off

Keep in mind it is 2017 so it's possible. Maybe a new kind of 16:9 VHS

FFS spoilers!

I mean like what if a running dash attack is what it takes to open one of those doors bro!

consoul

So I thought it was a 30sec delay before the spindle icon appears, but I've timed it multiple times and have confirmed it's consistently 28 seconds after you hit the button to pause at the start of the tape.

For anyone trying to trigger the spindle, hit Options as soon as the color bars disappear at the start of the VHS tape. You'll know if your timing is right because the tracking noise will immediately vanish leaving only a black background. 28 seconds later, the spindle will appear. If the tracking noise and/or video image stay on screen when you pause, your timing was off. Stop the tape and try again.

So I thought it was a 30sec delay before the spindle icon appears, but I've timed it multiple times and have confirmed it's consistently 28 seconds after you hit the button to pause at the start of the tape.

For anyone trying to trigger the spindle, hit Options as soon as the color bars disappear at the start of the VHS tape. You'll know if your timing is right because the tracking noise will immediately vanish leaving only a black background. 28 seconds later, the spindle will appear. If the tracking noise and/or video image stay on screen when you pause, your timing was off. Stop the tape and try again.

Anyone has a picture of this spindle icon please?

Marvel

could never
Once you get family punched isn't that it? Game Over, is there any actual confirmation from Capcom about there bring more to the demo with new areas and other endings?

SomTervo

Okay family, I'm still convinced the spindle icon is a key piece of the puzzle, and I have a new theory. To recap:

Start the VHS, pause the tape as soon as the tracking noise disappears (before Pete says 'boo!'). Wait 30 seconds.
A spinning tape spindle icon appears in the bottom right of the screen.

Some people have dismissed this as an insignificant loading icon, but I don't believe it is. The load/save icons elsewhere in the demo are a small ring in the top left. If this were a loading icon, why would it appear in this scenario (and nowhere else on the tape), and why would it never complete loading and disappear? It stays on screen indefinitely.

Furthermore, the VHS tape icon in the inventory has two small icons beneath it. All other items that have one purpose have one icon beneath them indicating their purpose. The VHS tape has two. One looks like the underside of an open (ie. playing) VHS tape, the other looks like this spindle icon. Making this icon appear is the tape's second purpose.

Something had been bugging me about the visual appearance of the tape spindle icon, and I've worked out what it is. The spindle that appears is not a VHS tape spindle. It's an audio casette tape spindle. VHS tape spindles have 9 teeth and look nothing like this one. This one has 6 teeth and looks exactly like an audio casette tape spindle.

The video tape is paused, but the audio tape spindle is rolling, as if it's recording. I think this is the point in the demo where it's listening for us to say the magic word.

What is the word? My first guess would be 'goodbye'.
"You will have to say goodbye eventually."

I can't test it right now, and I really don't know what it's listening for or what other conditions may need to be fulfilled, but I'm now convinced the spindle icon is telling us audio is involved at that point.

This is crazy.

I like it.

nbnt

is responsible for the well-being of this island.
The first person to figure this out is going to be a legend.
But there's nothing to figure out. I honestly believe that this "demo" was part of the full game at some point, but they decided hey let's cut it and put it out there, but didn't bother removing items that come into play in later sections, the ones shown in the trailer.

RedSnake

This might be stupid but I was watching the demo from the sony conference and the pot
moves after removing the lid.
Has someone tried axeing it and throwing it to the ground?

I bet it has been tried but wtvr. I'll boot up the demo in a short while and try to find something new.

I hate myselft.

People aren't still thinking there's more to this are they??
THERE HAS TO BE!

AtlantiC_CodeX

Neo Member
But there's nothing to figure out. I honestly believe that this "demo" was part of the full game at some point, but they decided hey let's cut it and put it out there, but didn't bother removing items that come into play in later sections, the ones shown in the trailer.

i don't think 15min gameplay is 3 gigs+ big. There's probably more but they made it ridiculously hard to figure out.

SomTervo

Isn't that just the phone?

Nah, somebody got the white door at the far end of the corridor (not the phone room) to glitch and disappear, and then he could see through it. There's an entire modelled room back there, like a big barn/attic space with beams and stuff.

There's a video of it like... 100 pages back

Top Bottom