• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[SPOILERS] Star Wars: The Force Awakens (Thread #2) - One Thumb Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
It's either temporary amnesia due to trauma, or a Revan like force mind wipe, which we haven't seen in the movies at all yet.

Or no memory loss. Show me any hint of her having any memory loss or memory alteration? People came up with that to explain why she would have known Luke or Kylo, neither which the movie indicates at all. So there is no sign of any memory issue unless you are trying to force an idea the movie doesn't carry.

Or no memory loss. Show me any hint of her having any memory loss or memory alteration? People came up with that to explain why she would have known Luke or Kylo, neither which the movie indicates at all. So there is no sign of any memory issue unless you are trying to force an idea the movie doesn't carry.

I just saw the movie a third time an hour ago. One thing that caught my eye more was when Kylo was reading her mind and he said "An island... I see it." She already knew where Luke was just not the exact spot. Later of course in the movie, Luke was on a island. Touching the lightsaber kind of downloaded things into her head almost. She had no prior knowledge.

Is there any known relation between Lor San Tekka and Rey?

Was he just there and givin the map and Rey also happened to be there or was he watching over her or something? She must hafe learned her Jedi lore from somebody.

I just saw the movie a third time an hour ago. One thing that caught my eye more was when Kylo was reading her mind and he said "An island... I see it." She already knew where Luke was just not the exact spot. Later of course in the movie, Luke was on a island. Touching the lightsaber kind of downloaded things into her head almost. She has no prior knowledge.

The same way Leia felt that Han died, the same way Vader 'felt' his son in that one scene.. Rey and Luke are connected by the force. you know, familial connection.

Boke1879

I just saw the movie a third time an hour ago. One thing that caught my eye more was when Kylo was reading her mind and he said "An island... I see it." She already knew where Luke was just not the exact spot. Later of course in the movie, Luke was on a island. Touching the lightsaber kind of downloaded things into her head almost. She had no prior knowledge.

OR she was alrteady having visions of the island because of Luke. Which kinda implies some connection to him.

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
The same way Leia felt that Han died, the same way Vader 'felt' his son in that one scene.. Rey and Luke are connected by the force. you know, familial connection.

But Yoda felt Anakin AND Luke from faraway. The latter was practically watched over too.

It all depends if Luke or Han is her father or not. If her "family" is truly people we haven't seen, then it isn't memory loss. If it is Luke or Han, then the conversation between Finn, Han, and Rey sure seems to be misleading when she thinks Luke and Han is some sort of myth.

Is there any known relation between Lor San Tekka and Rey?

Part of me thinks it seems weird she'd have never met the guy. But then again, if she did know him, and he knew Leia (and Kylo) as well as he did, she wouldn't be so convinced Han Solo/Luke Skywalker were just stories & myths.

Yeah...to somehow get 'Rey was mindwiped, kidnapped by Kylo, dumped on Jakku' from a vision is uh...

Im not basing those predictions purely on the vision. Theres a ton more in the movie that alludes to a past at least somewhere along these lines. It seems doubtful Luke would be the one to dump her there, who else is there logically other than random nobody that doesnt fit all the "shes special" imagery.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
I just saw the movie a third time an hour ago. One thing that caught my eye more was when Kylo was reading her mind and he said "An island... I see it." She already knew where Luke was just not the exact spot.

Yes that one is puzzling, but it doesn't make sense she would have gone there. Luke presumably left to that island more recently than when she was 5 years old. There's no indication Luke isolated himself for 20 years or more.

I think it might have been just a way to hint that Kylo will find out where Luke. He basically saw her future.

Part of me thinks it seems weird she'd have never met the guy. But then again, if she did know him, and he knew Leia (and Kylo) as well as he did, she wouldn't be so convinced Han Solo/Luke Skywalker were just stories & myths.

I think she lived on a completely different more isolated part of the planet

OR she was alrteady having visions of the island because of Luke. Which kinda implies some connection to him.

Familial? I don't believe they are related even though people including my girlfriend do. If Luke is her dad it will be strange and convenient. What is stopping them from saying Finn is Lando's kid who was stolen from his crib or something. Then the movie turns into a crappy modern TV show like Revenge.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安

It all depends if Luke or Han is her father or not. If her "family" is truly people we haven't seen, then it isn't memory loss. If it is Luke or Han, then the conversation between Finn, Han, and Rey sure seems to be misleading when she thinks Luke and Han is some sort of myth.

There is not a single indication she is related to Luke or Han or anyone other than her family who abandoned her. So you are coming up with what ifs on top of what ifs to justify a desire dor her to be connected to those characters when the movie so far has no such indication.

But you would think that if he was important enough to be givin the map, he would know about Rey if she was indeed Lukes.

There is not a single indication she is related to Luke or Han or anyone other than her family who abandoned her. So you are coming up with what ifs on top of what ifs to justify a desire dor her to be connected to those characters when the movie so far has no such indication.

That little lady did say that the lightsaber was destined/belonged/found her. If Lightsabers are connected to the force, and that one in particular belonged to Luke/Vader, then if it chose her I reckon she'd be related somehow.

Boke1879

Familial? I don't believe they are related even though people including my girlfriend do. If Luke is her dad it will be strange an convenient. What is stopping them from saying Finn is Lando's kid who was stolen from his crib or something.

Not even saying their related but they may share some connection. Luke saw Han and Leia in a vision. "I saw a city in the clouds. They were in pain". He saw a vision of the future with people he had a connection with.

Ren specifically mentioning she says an island conveys to me that he's either seeing her future or she's had visions of this place before.

bachikarn

Unless she really was a dangerous dark side user (at 6?!), it's really weird for Luke to dump her on Jakku if she was a Skywalker. She very well could have died there multiple times. Seems like he should have left her with Leia or anyone else.

It does feel like Lor San Tekka was there to watch over her like Obi Wan to Luke, but it could just be a Star Wars coincidence/will of the Force/etc etc. Maybe he was there because of the big fight in Jakku?

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
That little lady did say that the lightsaber was destined/belonged/found her. If Lightsabers are connected to the force, and that one in particular belonged to Luke/Vader, then if it chose her I reckon she'd be related somehow.

Yeah, she is related to the force. No doubt on that:p

Edit: funny coincidence, the force awakened on Jakku in Finn and Rey, possibly. On that specific planet.

So you are coming up with what ifs on top of what ifs to justify a desire dor her to be connected to those characters when the movie so far has no such indication.

This isn't necessarily fair. The only reason you're now convinced the signs people have been readily interpreting as implying a connection are false is because you read a series of tweets.

Granted, the fact the actions in the vision apparently take place much sooner than 15 years before TFA changes what a lot of people might have been thinking, but the film DOES seem to suggest Kylo's Turn/Luke's self-imposed exile is happening quite a bit farther back than a few years at the least. It's not unreasonable for people who don't follow Pablo on twitter or don't read the TFN forums (and holy FUCK why would they/should they) to still have their pet theories regarding lineage and such, as the film absolutely begs that question.

But you would think that if he was important enough to be givin the map, he would know about Rey if she was indeed Lukes.

Yeah, his familiarity with Leia & Kylo, and his proximity to Rey are absolutely worth considering, I think. At least for now.

Brakke

Banned
My only complaint is that in the quest to make FN more sympathetic, they may have made the Stormtroopers as a whole a little too sympathetic. To the point I'm now thinking: "Why have I never heard the Rebel commanders talking about how they desperately need to rescue the kidnapped kids who are being brainwashed to become Stormtroopers? Are they such utter assholes that they don't even consider that a priority?"

Ayup. It's a super weird choice! Finn's whole characterization is a little weird. For as savagely-regimented as the Stormtrooper training is made out to be, Finn sure is a funtime goofball later on. "Boyfriend? Cute boyfriend?" uhhh dude do you even know what boyfriends are? Was there a lot of bashful crush-having in Space Nazi indoctrination camp?

Also the bit on Starkiller is a little weird. He tells Han he doesn't have a plan, that he's lied to the Resistance, and that he's only really there to save Rey. Like. That's touching and all but you just signed up Han and Chewie for a suicide mission and you left your buddy Poe's life up to chance *and* you interfered with the Resistance putting together a proper plan. Admit to the Resistance you don't have a plan so they can send down a whole damn platoon instead of just you, a dog, and a geriatric...

(Indeed, why did they even disable the shields to let the fighters in? Chewie's sack o' bombs was pretty effective at hitting the oscillator directly. Bring a team and some RPGs and skip the fighters entirely. Especially if you don't have B-Wings do to the bombing run RIP B-Wings)

All that said I love his little monologue vs Maz in the catina.

Related as potential force user. The Jedi are almost extinct it appears to be the will of the force that she was found. She doesn't need to be Luke's kid.

Also, Maz said the lightsaber is calling to her. That is all. Not that it was destined/belonged as you put it. The writing was silly there. The lightsaber is not calling her, the force is and using the lightsaber as a conduit or something.

I'm basing this off of Kathleen Kennedy's statement about the sequel trilogy being about the Skywalkers, the force vision/flashback, and the end scene with Luke and Rey. Come on, I'm not as off my rocker as the Shmi time traveler truthers or the Plagueis obsessed crazies.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
I feel like this stuff works great for animation/comics, but would be silly in a live action.

I did like Kylo's powers though. Most were struck by him stopping a blaster shot, but I actually loved how he was able to just put Rey to sleep, and freeze people.
I like them because the sound design was on point. They feel chaotic as hell.

Related as potential force user. The Jedi are almost extinct it appears to be the will of the force that she was found. She doesn't need to be Luke's kid.

Also, Maz said the lightsaber is calling to her. That is all. Not that it was destined/belonged as you put it.

How many lightsabers have you known to 'call' for force users. That's a weird thing to say about an inanimate object. And the fact that Maz to mention that particular lightsaber belonged to Luke and to Vader...and how she obtained it is a 'story for another time'...

I'm basing this off of Kathleen Kennedy's statement about the sequel trilogy being about the Skywalkers, the force vision/flashback, and the end scene with Luke and Rey. Come on, I'm not as off my rocker as the Shmi time traveler truthers or the Plagueis obsessed crazies.

Ben Solo is part of the Skywalker family. So it's still about Skywalkers.

How many lightsabers have you known to 'call' for force users. That's a weird thing to say about an inanimate object. And the fact that Maz to mention that particular lightsaber belonged to Luke and to Vader...and how she obtained it is a 'story for another time'...

I updated my prior post. I actually thinks the writing sucks there. It's the force calling not a crystal in a metal shaft.

True, but I think it will take another Skywalker to redeem or defeat him. I'm fine if it turns out that Rey is a Kenobi or just an orphan girl not connected to any family we have heard about, but I think that is the long shot.

Until Ben and Luke both die in this trilogy somehow.

Which is why I like the idea that Rey maybe ISN'T a blood relation to Luke, but carries the name forward once he's gone, so that way it's still a Skywalker family saga, it's just that the family isn't biological.

And honestly, considering how much BULLSHIT the Skywalker family's gotten up to since Li'l Ani showed up, maybe it's better for the galaxy if that bloodline actually does come to an end sooner rather than later.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Finn to me felt like a character in a Disney movie who gets transported into a Disney universe and just wants to go back home. Peter Pan, Wizard of Oz, that kind of thing. His character behaves exactly like some guy in NYC woke up as a Storm Trooper and freaked out, just wanted to find the wizard lady who could send him back home but she tells him he has to accept his destiny first and save the Star Wars universe.

Then at the end he'll wake up in his bed, and when he'll walk outside he'll bump into a man who looks identical to Poe, and he'll throw some confusing callback line making Finn wonder if it was a dream or not.

When Han asks him what he used to do, Finn would say he was a janitor, in the real world. It's like that was the actual way they wrote him lol.

Until Ben and Luke both die in this trilogy somehow.

Which is why I like the idea that Rey maybe ISN'T a blood relation to Luke, but carries the name forward once he's gone, so that way it's still a Skywalker family saga, it's just that the family isn't biological.

And honestly, considering how much BULLSHIT the Skywalker family's gotten up to since Li'l Ani showed up, maybe it's better for the galaxy if that bloodline actually does come to an end sooner rather than later.

I like this idea. Ben kills himself in Episode IX. He says something like, "My family has been a curse to the galaxy and caused nothing but pain! I'm ending this once and for all."

Then he flies into the sun or something so no DNA and *ahem* midichlroians remain. -force theme plays-

Thought Rey and Kylo would be the same age. Kylo maybe a few years older. Rey gets dumped by Luke and mindwiped at the time Kylo lost his shit, in the hope she doesn't go to the dark side and/or gets killed by Kylo. She was probably weak to the force as a child too.

I like this idea. Ben kills himself in Episode IX. He says soemthing like, "My family has been a curse to the galaxy and caused nothing but pain! I'm ending this once and for all."

Nah, fuck Ben getting any hero moments. I can see Luke doing that "sacrifice for the greater good" thing, but not Ben.

Ben's a piece of shit.

Thought Rey and Kylo would be the same age. Kylo maybe a few years older. Rey gets dumped by Luke and mindwiped at the time Kylo lost his shit, in the hope she doesn't go to the dark side and/or gets killed by Kylo. She was probably weak to the force as a child too.
Kylo looses his shit at 5 years old? ... Nah kylo is older

It really would take a miracle to pull off having the audience accept Ben being redeemed after killing Han Solo. I think he would have to save Luke, Leia, Finn, Poe, R2D2, Threepio, and BB-8 at the same time to have a chance. More likely he gets mortally wounded by Rey or something, and cries and admits he was an asshole and coward, then dies.

Ok, the movie is still fresh in my mind. One thing Kylo said during the lightsaber fight with Rey was, "It IS you!". People seem to forget about that line.

Or, as suggested, it could be read "It is YOU!" meaning she's the awakening Snoke is referring to.

I'll say I don't remember him saying anything along those lines in the movie at all the two times I saw it. First time I heard about that line was when someone quoted the novelization. Starting to wonder if this is our first case of someone reading a book and then remembering the details as if they were in the movie, a-la 1977's "I swear I saw Biggs on Tatooine!"

Or, as suggested, it could be read "It is YOU!" meaning she's the awakening Snoke is referring to.

I'll say I don't remember him saying anything along those lines in the movie at all the two times I saw it. First time I heard about that line was when someone quoted the novelization. Starting to wonder if this is our first case of someone reading a book and then remembering the details as if they were in the movie, a-la 1977's "I swear I saw Biggs on Tatooine!"

Time to watch it again Bobby.

The only thing that I think is gonna get frame-by-framed is the vision.

But even then, I don't think anything's gonna get found, because if any director out there KNOWS you're gonna frame by frame his whole movie for hints to some fucking mystery he shoved in there, it's Abrams.

Most everything else is pretty much right up front, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom