• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

*SPOILERS* The Walking Dead TV show, leaks, and comic book SPOILER discussion thread

UberTag

I'm not sure I want to see the Whisperers too early on the show unless they're working the long con with Carol and transition her into the Alpha role to fuck with people instead of making Alpha her own unique character. And I sort of doubt that's the case right now.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm cool with the show just doing whatever they want. Took them 7 seasons to get to the events in Issue 100. I honestly can't see them spending 2-3 seasons on just Negan. And considering Negan is pretty important again even after the events of All Out War, I could see the necessity in playing around with events.

A talking Walker would be a Holy Shit cliffhanger for a season to close out on. A lot of people will say the show jumped the shark during that first Whisperer confrontation but I don't care, I love the idea.

Ugh that scene where he almost makes Rick cut Carl's arm off is so goddamn good.

"Not making a decision is a BIIIIIIG decision". That convinced me that Morgan gets Negan.

Chumley

Banned
The most impressive moment for me was at the end when he stops playing the bombastic character and gets serious with Rick, the one time where we see him for who he really is. JDM was a damn good casting choice, elevates the kind of ridiculous cartoon character from the page into something that resembles an actual person.

The most impressive moment for me was at the end when he stops playing the bombastic character and gets serious with Rick, the one time where we see him for who he really is. JDM was a damn good casting choice, elevates the kind of ridiculous cartoon character from the page into something that resembles an actual person.
Which is why I'm happy he's not cursing like a mad man. Like even in the uncensored clip, it sounds really forced and doesn't really add much edge or menace to the words themselves. Now his dialogue actually sounds like how a real person would actually speak

Chumley

Banned
Which is why I'm happy he's not cursing like a mad man. Like even in the uncensored clip, it sounds really forced and doesn't really add much edge or menace to the words themselves. Now his dialogue actually sounds like how a real person would actually speak

Totally agree.

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One thing - I saw that YouTube link of Maggie getting the bat that somebody posted here. That scene didn't make it into the episode. Was it fake?

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
One thing - I saw that YouTube link of Maggie getting the bat that somebody posted here. That scene didn't make it into the episode. Was it fake?

I don't think anyone brought this up yet, but I'm fairly certain they used all those scenes. Rick basically had a vision of everyone in the lineup getting the bat. So they at least used some of the footage that was shot for everyone.

someday

Banned
I couldn't agree more. I'm so tired of the complaints about the lack of cursing. This is scarier to me than some blowhard saying fuck every other word.

Grizzlyjin

I gotta admit, I was really worried how the fans would take Ezekiel and Shiva. But it looks like the reception has been overwhelmingly positive. And a budding romance between him and Carol? I can go with that, makes more sense than Michonne within the tv show.

Picked up my pull list from the shop, just gotta find the time to dive into everything. I already heard about Lucille but I'm still excited to hear how it happens. Negan just being a chaotic game changer is a fun idea. I have no idea where the Whisperers War arc will go.

dustyherb

I gotta admit, I was really worried how the fans would take Ezekiel and Shiva. But it looks like the reception has been overwhelmingly positive. And a budding romance between him and Carol? I can go with that, makes more sense than Michonne within the tv show.

Picked up my pull list from the shop, just gotta find the time to dive into everything. I already heard about Lucille but I'm still excited to hear how it happens. Negan just being a chaotic game changer is a fun idea. I have no idea where the Whisperers War arc will go.
Ya I'm glad to see people are liking the episode and Ezekiel. Especially since Ezekiel isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Part 4 comes out this week and I can't wait. I wonder if there's going to be a lot of deaths in these last 3 issues. I always remember how in the prision arc (made to suffer) all the deaths didn't happen until the last 3 issues. Feels like something similar could happen in these last 3. So far only Gabriel has died and I guess Lucille counts as well.

WaffleTaco

Wants to outlaw technological innovation.
Ya I'm glad to see people are liking the episode and Ezekiel. Especially since Ezekiel isn't going anywhere anytime soon.

Part 4 comes out this week and I can't wait. I wonder if there's going to be a lot of deaths in these last 3 issues. I always remember how in the prision arc (made to suffer) all the deaths didn't happen until the last 3 issues. Feels like something similar could happen in these last 3. So far only Gabriel has died and I guess Lucille counts as well.
Well just got spoiled on that death ^...looks like I won't be stopping by here anymore. There really is no place for me =( (I only read compendiums, I'm not wasting money buying in individuals). Can't discuss future plots in the show in the other thread, can't discuss it in the spoiler thread because I'm only up to the end of compendium 3.

On a side note: The Whispers are ridiculous as an enemy and it would be best if the show ended after All Out War.

dustyherb

Well just got spoiled on that death ^...looks like I won't be stopping by here anymore. There really is no place for me =( (I only read compendiums, I'm not wasting money buying in individuals). Can't discuss future plots in the show in the other thread, can't discuss it in the spoiler thread because I'm only up to the end of compendium 3.

On a side note: The Whispers are ridiculous as an enemy and it would be best if the show ended after All Out War.
You could buy the walking dead book 13 (hardcover). That goes from 145-156, right before the whisperer war arc starts. Could also always buy the volumes as well. Think the whisperer war (volume 27) comes out in the beginning of March. It's definitely a long wait if you read only compendiums.

Nah I love the whisperers and definitely hope to see them in the show. Tho not anytime soon would be preferable. Don't think there's a chance the show ends after AOW, especially since they had Morgan build the jail. But it definitely would be a good stopping point if they really wanted to.

If it makes you feel better, imo by the time he dies he was a forgotten background character.

Grizzlyjin

Please tell me Ezekiel isn't going to be a villain, because I really like him after just this episode.

Nah, he's straight up good people. He even dropped the charade so he could make a connection with Carol. Unless you consider him reigning over people like a king to be morally wrong, he's otherwise good folk.

Nah, he's straight up good people. He even dropped the charade so he could make a connection with Carol. Unless you consider him reigning over people like a king to be morally wrong, he's otherwise good folk.

He seemed genuine, so I believed him. I can't remember liking a WD character so quickly before, so I didn't want to be set up for disappointment.

WaffleTaco

You could buy the walking dead book 13 (hardcover). That goes from 145-156, right before the whisperer war arc starts. Could also always buy the volumes as well. Think the whisperer war (volume 27) comes out in the beginning of March. It's definitely a long wait if you read only compendiums.

Nah I love the whisperers and definitely hope to see them in the show. Tho not anytime soon would be preferable. Don't think there's a chance the show ends after AOW, especially since they had Morgan build the jail. But it definitely would be a good stopping point if they really wanted to.
I'm thinking about it, it just sounds like a lot more money. And the reason I dislike the Whisperers is that they killed off Rosita and Ezikel. I think they could make what happens after All Out War the end of the regular Walking Dead show and make a spin-off about what happens after that. However eventually they are going to have to have a satisfying ending and Kirkman wants to do around 300 issues right? That's like 20 seasons at least.
If it makes you feel better, imo by the time he dies he was a forgotten background character.
That's worse lol. I hope they then change him in the show to be one of Rick's right hand men, although it seems that he will just be Alexandria's protector will Rock & Co are off doing whatever.

Effect

So in the comics how long does it take for Rick to get himself back to where he used to be mentally? Fairly quickly? Long period of time? Suddenly after an event? Or over a series of events and outings?

Haven't watched yesterday's episode yet and my comic knowledge pretty much ended when Negan was swinging his bat last week.

WaffleTaco

So in the comics how long does it take for Rick to get himself back to where he used to be mentally? Fairly quickly? Long period of time? Suddenly after an event? Or over a series of events and outings?

Haven't watched yesterday's episode yet and my comic knowledge pretty much ended when Negan was swinging his bat last week.
Oh it doesn't end at all, he's just pretending for the sake of the people and keeping his plan a secret except for a few members. Jesus should be a much bigger character moving forward.

dustyherb

I'm thinking about it, it just sounds like a lot more money. And the reason I dislike the Whisperers is that they killed off Rosita and Ezikel. I think they could make what happens after All Out War the end of the regular Walking Dead show and make a spin-off about what happens after that. However eventually they are going to have to have a satisfying ending and Kirkman wants to do around 300 issues right? That's like 20 seasons at least.

That's worse lol. I hope they then change him in the show to be one of Rick's right hand men, although it seems that he will just be Alexandria's protector will Rock & Co are off doing whatever.
Ya I know what you mean. At least if you bought the volumes it would only be every 6 months. Or the hardcovers are only once a year. I'm definitely still bummed out that Ezekiel is gone, he was such an awesome character. Kirkman has always talked about 300 issues so that seems to be the number he's at least shooting for. If the show was to cover 300 issues it would be 18 seasons. Since they are doing 100 issues every 6 seasons. I think they will definitely do their 12 season plan which would bring them up to #200, after that tho I think anything could happen. If AMC gets their way I'm sure they would love to cover all 300 issues.

Gabriel is already better than his comic counterpart, at least I think so. I definitely think they are taking the time to build him up earlier and give him his comic death. Hes been using a rifle in the show, so seems like they want to take his character in the same direction.

In the comics Rick was just pretending to submit to Negan. He was secretly forming a plan to get info on Negan and take him down. Jesus was in on the plan, as was Andrea eventually. He was lying to everyone else at Alexandria so that Negan would believe everyone was falling in line.

In the show I don't think it's going to go down the same way but it might. Rick was never broken in the comics like he was in the show. I think we won't see Rick really start to make any big moves till the back half of this season.

I started by buying the trades but got sick of waiting for the next one to come out so started buying the floppies. The cost doesn't seem bad cuz it's spread out, even though of course it ends up being way more in the long run.

I do miss reading a big chunk of story in one sitting though.

I there really isn't a thread for every fan. I'm up to date on the show and comic but I don't want to read show leaks. I avoided this thread during the season break but it's hard to remember not to read it when it shows up in your threads.

Anth0ny

Yeah, after seeing the uncensored clip, the fucks should probably stay on the pages of comics. Sounds weird coming out of someone's real mouth. Or, rather, the TV version of Negan is perfect as is :)

Yep. He gets Negan. I'm a fan. How did you hear his voice in the comics? He was always Biff from BTTF for me.

For some reason, I always heard the voice of Nappa when reading the comic

Which is a funny coincidence, because Nappa also kills the main protagonist's friends one by one in gruesome ways!

Regarding Rick going back to the way he was: He's not. Certainly not the murderbot Rick that a lot of people seem to love. If they went back to that it'll make the seeds they've been planting (Carol's struggles, Morgan's "life is precious" mantra) kinda pointless.

The pig thing was done (IMHO) to show Ezekiel has a desire to push back against Negan so in Rick he'll see a chance to join forces, but Rick himself? Like Carol he has to find a middle way between how things were pre-apocalypse and the kill or be killed state he was before Negan.

Chumley

Banned
Shit is going down next week. 90 min episode, preview clip shows Michonne sniping so they are certainly moving things along very quickly if it's the scene I think it is. All out war back half of the season at this rate.

dustyherb

Shit is going down next week. 90 min episode, preview clip shows Michonne sniping so they are certainly moving things along very quickly if it's the scene I think it is. All out war back half of the season at this rate.
If you're talking about the tower scene with Andrea from the comics that shouldn't be happening yet. Tho I do think they are setting up Michonne for that since she's been seen with that rifle a couple times now. If filming spoilers are true then it seems war hasn't been declared yet and they just started to film episode 16 yesterday. All the signs point to AOW not starting till s8. At this point I'm just curious if they plan on making AOW all of s8.

Grizzlyjin

See, I always imagined Sasha would be getting the tower scene. I guess emotionally it would have more weight with Michonne, but Sasha is the real deadshot of the group. I always got the impression that comic Andrea was being split between Michonne and Sasha.

dustyherb

See, I always imagined Sasha would be getting the tower scene. I guess emotionally it would have more weight with Michonne, but Sasha is the real deadshot of the group. I always got the impression that comic Andrea was being split between Michonne and Sasha.
I used to think that as well but she's now at The Hilltop with Maggie. So I'm not even sure if she will be at Alexandria when all that shit goes down.

Summary of the next episode
The episode starts with Rick and Michonne in bed, him sleeping while she cannot. She gets up, takes a sniper rifle and leaves, seemingly upset. Rick wasn’t sleeping after all and saw Michonne leave.

Rosita and Spencer are out trying to gather things for the Saviours’ tribute. Eugene is working on fixing a “portable audio system” as his contribution to the tribute. It seems everyone is angry and withdrawn, not as friendly to each other as usual. Eugene and Rosita snipe at each other with no humor. The warmth towards each other is missing.

Negan and some Saviours show up at the gates of Alexandria to collect some tribute, but earlier than he was supposed to show up. Negan gives the “little pig, little pig, let me in…” speech from the comic after banging Lucille on the ASZ gates. Daryl is with them, looking battered and bad. Dwight is wearing Daryl’s vest.

Rick tries to talk to Negan, but Negan refuses, threatening to cut off Daryl’s body parts in front of everyone. Negan is angering and pressuring Rick to show his power, constantly humiliating Rick.
Dwight wants Daryl’s motorcycle and they want Rosita to be the one to go get it for him.

Michonne is in a field, practicing shooting on walkers, but not very successfully. Her anger or feelings are affecting her shots and accuracy.

Negan somehow gets his hands on a recording of Rick when they first arrived in Alexandria. The interviews Deanna filmed “for transparency”.

Negan is interested in Maggie and asks what happened to her. He has figured out that Maggie was married to Glenn and he obviously wants something with her. He seems to be attracted to widows.

Father Gabriel suddenly pops in startling Negan a little. Negan doesn’t like Father Gabriel clearly. Gabriel thinks quickly and tricks Negan into thinking Maggie has died after the premiere, to kill Negan’s interest in her.

Negan takes the time to blame Rick and the others to feel guilty about Glenn’s death. He forces Rick to carry Lucille around with him as they go through the community.

Carl threatens one of the Saviours with a gun, and tells Negan they should just leave the ASZ.

Negan decides to take all the guns in the ASZ, based upon Olivia’s weapons inventory. He does mock Olivia for her weight in this episode just as he did in the comic.

Rosita and Spencer got Daryl's bike, and Spencer blames Rick for the current situation. Rosita then slips away for a little while into the woods.

Rick has a meeting with the ASZ people looking for the two guns that are missing from the inventory. Negan wants to kill Olivia because of the inventory discrepancy. They need to find the two missing guns right away for Negan before he leaves.

Rick admits, for the first time, that Negan is now in charge of their lives, not him anymore.

It turns out that Rosita hid one of the missing guns in a tree, when she slipped away briefly into the woods.

Rick takes away Michonne’s gun from her and gives it to Negan, leaving only one weapon missing and unaccounted for now. Negan decides to take Michonne’s deer too, which angers her. She seems angry with Rick that he has so easily accepted that Negan is in control and his own new low position under Negan.

Rick asks Negan if Daryl can stay with them at the ASZ. Negan first declines, but then asks Daryl if he wants to stay there with Rick and the group. Daryl doesn’t say anything but just seems to turn away from Rick.

Daryl is fucked up in all ways. He's bruised up and broken emotionally. By the end he looks at the ground constantly. His arm/shoulder look injured but not as bad as before. He looks as though he has simply given up. He looks down at the ground constantly, as he did in early seasons. He’s not acting, he just looks defeated, at rock bottom.

Rick and Michonne talk again, but this time he opens up to her, talking about Shane. Rick says he knows Judith isn't his child. He talks to Michonne about all the things he has had to simply accept and live with in order to keep his group and people alive.

Rosita wants Eugene to make her a bullet since she has a gun now, but no ammunition for it.

Grizzlyjin

I used to think that as well but she's now at The Hilltop with Maggie. So I'm not even sure if she will be at Alexandria when all that shit goes down.

Oh yeah, I forgot about that. And they planted the seeds for Maggie taking control of The Hilltop last season, they weren't even subtle about that. Maybe Sasha becomes Maggie's right hand (wo)man there. With how the tv show like breaking up episodes between locations and sets of characters, I could see them giving Maggie & Sasha their own Hilltop episodes, then go to Rick, etc.

Goddamn, they can't draw this out for more than a season, I think. I'm on board now with the people who see this wrapping up somehow this year. Negan's just too claustrophobic. It's TOO tense and shitty. It'll become too much and then fall flat after a few more episodes.

LycanXIII

Goddamn, they can't draw this out for more than a season, I think. I'm on board now with the people who see this wrapping up somehow this year. Negan's just too claustrophobic. It's TOO tense and shitty. It'll become too much and then fall flat after a few more episodes.

It's why there's the Hilltop and Kingdom to show too. I'm loving JDM right now, and can't wait to see the reactions to his "defeat."

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
tv Negan is much meaner and unforgiving than comic Negan. Dunno if I really care for that change.

At least their was this "so evil, but I kinda love him" deal with the comic that kept the story popping along, but still felt great when he was defeated. The show continues to tow the line of zero subtlety when it comes to his meanness.

Anth0ny

tv Negan is much meaner and unforgiving than comic Negan. Dunno if I really care for that change.

At least their was this "so evil, but I kinda love him" deal with the comic that kept the story popping along, but still felt great when he was defeated. The show continues to tow the line of zero subtlety when it comes to his meanness.

yeah, negan and his crew seem like way bigger dicks on the tv version than the comic.

speaking of dicks...

LXHRvDv.png

real happy they managed to get that line on television version. that was a great moment in the comic and really cemented how in control of rick and friends negan was.

or so we thought :)

Chumley

Banned
Negan, Dwight, and the saviors are way more ruthless and evil here than in the comics. I don't picture the TV audience being cool with Rick sparing Negan if this is how they're playing him until end of next season which is when I'm guessing AOW arc ends. I don't even really know about the Dwight arc, he's such a complete scumbag piece of shit in the show in ways I don't remember him being in the comics. I would be totally fine with Daryl just killing him since they have plenty of other new characters to fill Dwight's comic role.

I totally agree with this. Negan is such an oppressive, massively evil asshole that two seasons of it seems like overkill.

wenis

The mattresses, man. That was so fucking awful. Was that in the comic? It's been a long time since I read that part but I don't remember that.
Nah that never happened. He didn't even take big physical goods or guns.

He took half the meds and played pool in his first visit.

The gun bit is especially worrying that the showrunner is going to drag out negans rule far too long. Rick would already be colluding and building towards fighting back. They had guns still in the comics. Now that they're gone I can only imagine this getting dragged the fuck out for an episode or two, probably extra if they aren't going to link up with the kingdom anytime soon and the hilltops leader is going to definitely have a bigger role in this show other than being a sniveling coward in the comic that is tossed aside rather quickly.

Something about this structure of the season is already telling that by the time we hit the mid season break Rick will just have started to grow a pair and will think about fighting back.

Probably with a grimace on his face as a slow push in on his face has him saying "we are preparing for All Out War" and then quick reaction shots of the alexandrian populations shocked faces and then back to a static of Rick scowling into the camera.

Maybe a cocking gun sound.

Commence mid season break

Anth0ny

the final shot of the episode being carl in the truck full of guns would have been hype as fuck

guess they're saving that for next episode

Lashley

Why does he wear the mask!?
Thats why the show can never surpass the comic for me, it drags shit out too much. Obviously stuff has to take longer in the show, but they take it too far.

Negan is not dying this season. That is NOT going to happen. He's here for AT LEAST the end of next season. They spent a lot of time building him up. No way they make it as easy as one season.

wenis

Negan is not dying this season. That is NOT going to happen. He's here for AT LEAST the end of next season. They spent a lot of time building him up. No way they make it as easy as one season.

well I mean we are in the spoilers thread....

Top Bottom