• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify coming to PS3 and PS4; Music Unlimited shutting down.

sja_626

Definitely sounds like Playstation Music is an OS integrated container that might eventually house other music services. Happy with Spotify as the first though:

Things I hope this will lead to:

- More widespread support, or even mandated support, for automatically switching off game music when Playstation Music is active ala Driveclub
- In-game integration with Playstation Music, i.e. if a driving game lets you switch tracks with the dpad that should hook into Playstation Music when it is active, and possibly grab the title/album/artist for display on the in-game music popup if there is one (or an optional system level music notification popup)
- A better, more stable, more snappy app compared to the old Music Unlimited
- A faster way to pause/change track/adjust volume with the controller.

This news is awesome. Unless it's a story-heavy game, I play almost everything with my own music in the background. This is a godsend for driving games, and loot games like Diablo 3 and Destiny.

jaydogg691

Cool and I just started a free 60 day trial for Spotify.

RIP Music Unlimited. Best use I got from it was when there was the $12 for a year deal. Was waiting for similar deals, but nothing ever came through.

Agent X

Gold Member
So wait, this isn't going to be on the Vita? Music Unlimited was available on the system. Not having Spotify on a portable system makes no damn sense. Granted, this is Sony and they obviously don't give a shit about their own handheld system.

I sure hope it comes to Vita soon. The fact that they've announced "PlayStation Music" for Xperia smartphones and tablets but not for Vita is somewhat scary, though.

RedAssedApe

Banned
no. also how many games have in game radio stations? saints row and gta, that's it probably one more

watch_dogs, gta, sleeping dogs, saints, etc. pretty much any open world game that you drive around in has them. was just thinking maybe they'll put less effort into that specific feature of the game to do some cost saving on licensing? i have no idea how much it costs to license a song for use...so maybe its nil.

was just a thought. i usually don't listen like 90% of the stations hah

jcm

Just moved my collection from Rdio to Spotify. I found a somewhat flaky playlist importer that got about half of it over, and then spent a couple hours fixing stuff. It sucked, but holy shit is Spotify's classical music selection better. I should have chosen them all along.

Atrophis

I've been wanting this for so long. Can't wait to give Driveclub a spin with some new tunes. I am actually doing a little dance in my living room at this awesome news.
not really

AmyS

Well I'm not fucking happy.

I actually LIKE Music Unlimited.

I'm going to assume that Music Unlimited has songs that Spotify does not have and will not have.

I've spent a lot of time building up my library and playlists on Music Unlimited. This is going to be all for nothing soon.

I have nothing against Spotify. I use it and like it a lot too, but unless everything that was part of Music Unlimted gets rolled into Spotify, I will really miss it.

Welp. I have just been thinking about subbing to Spotify. I think this seals it. Nice to see Sony cutting their losses on services that don't work, and bringing better and more popular alternatives to their platforms.

JP

Just found this info which is really disappointing, when I read that they had an "Extreme Quality" mode for subscribers a 320 kbps stream really wasn't what I was expecting! It may well be Ogg Vorbis but I was really hoping for CD quality at least with a name like that. :(

What bitrate does Spotify use for streaming?
Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

• 96 kbps - Normal quality on mobile.
  • 160 kbps - Desktop and web player standard quality. High quality on mobile.
  • 320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers) - Desktop high quality. Extreme quality on mobile.

Quasar

Do most people prefer Spotify over Google Play All Access? I was about to do a 30 day trial of both to see which one is worth subscribing to.

Well I much prefer Google Play, though a big part of that is integrating the locker and sub service into one thing. Plus at some point I assume the youtube music key stuff will be nice.

DOWN

Banned
Second. On top of that, I love how HBO Go on the PS3 lacks Comcast...How cute.

Ooph. Didn't even know that. Comcast works on Xbox 360 & One in my area on HBO Go, but the Xfinity app doesn't work on my University's internet because they said it is non-residential.

Side-note: Comedy Central makes it hell to see Broad City now. Can't sign in with Comcast on their own site, and Comcast can't post now episodes until 6 days after air or so -AND Comedy Central sticks a huge opaque banner on the bottom of the Comcast On Demand episode saying 'See more at cc.com' as if I'm not a paying cable customer watching on my official cable site. Why the hell is there an ad banner blocking like 1/8th of a show on my actually paid cable provider's site like I'm some kind of free user who found it on hulu?

I am hoping we get the sling TV app on the PS4 like the X1 is getting. You get espn and a few other channels for like a flat rate of 20 a month. I don't plan to ever subscribe to cable tv so I am looking forward to streaming my TV shows more often.

DOWN

Banned
Just found this info which is really disappointing, when I read that they had an "Extreme Quality" mode for subscribers a 320 kbps stream really wasn't what I was expecting! It may well be Ogg Vorbis but I was really hoping for CD quality at least with a name like that. :(

What bitrate does Spotify use for streaming?
Spotify uses 3 quality ratings for streaming, all in the Ogg Vorbis format.

• 96 kbps - Normal quality on mobile.
  • 160 kbps - Desktop and web player standard quality. High quality on mobile.
  • 320 kbps (only available to Premium subscribers) - Desktop high quality. Extreme quality on mobile.

320kb/s is considered to have negligible difference to the human ear from lossless or CDs. Placebo and peace of mind are considered the big drivers behind going above 320kb/s, as otherwise, storage and streaming are great practical advantages.

impact

Banned
I guarantee there is not one person in the world that will miss Music Unlimited.

Finally got your head out of your ass Sony, just a tad late though.

Well I much prefer Google Play, though a big part of that is integrating the locker and sub service into one thing. Plus at some point I assume the youtube music key stuff will be nice.
Doesn't Spotify also let you import your own music, or am I missing something?

samar11

I don't get this move for Sony. How are they going to make money off Spotify? At least with their own service (Music limited) they were making profit from it.

IvorB

320kb/s is considered to have negligible difference to the human ear from lossless or CDs. Placebo and peace of mind are considered the big drivers behind going above 320kb/s, as otherwise, storage and streaming are great practical advantages.

It really depends what you are listening to it on. You can easily tell the different between mp3 quality and CD on a good system/studio monitors. For most systems though I don't think it will make much difference.

samar11

They're leveraging the power of the brand, which they seem to have realized has more enduring potential than the company name. See also, Playstation TV coming soon.

Isn't Sony music one of the biggest labels in the industry? I think more people would know about that then playstation.

bill.cosby

Neo Member
fucking awesome, especially the streaming during games bit. i will get alot of mileage out of this. kinda hope it comes to all systems at some point

Top Bottom