• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify coming to PS3 and PS4; Music Unlimited shutting down.

I don't get this move for Sony. How are they going to make money off Spotify? At least with their own service (Music limited) they were making profit from it.
You think the ad-supported free and premium subscription income will not be shared accordingly by Spotify, with this being integrated as the new default music streaming service on the PS4?

Quasar

It really depends what you are listening to it on. You can easily tell the different between mp3 quality and CD on a good system/studio monitors. For most systems though I don't think it will make much difference.

Yeah. I certainly hear the difference between say FLAC and 320k AAC/MP3. Though its only certain types of music (orchestral music mostly) and I hear it more in my home theatre than I do headphones.

th4tguy

How will this affect streaming? Will viewers hear the spotify music or game music? How does it work with sub player?

fritzo

so HBOGo is probably coming soon, since its going to become like Netflix. However doesn't Comcast still block it on the PS3? I have to use it on my Chromecast instead. WTF Comcast.

How will this affect streaming? Will viewers hear the spotify music or game music? How does it work with sub player?
If it works like the current music unlimited / USB music player, which is when they are active the games that support the OS layer requirements (requests) are running, the music of say, Driveclub, can will not be playing even if it is enabled. Some ports and cross-gen titles, such as Grand Theft Auto, overlap music but I believe it is treated the same as long as there specific bandwidths are planned-for within whatever is handling screensharing, online game play, etc.

The system can also selectively ignore channels that are flagged for copyright, which is why recording with the PS4 share button omits the popular licensed song in the game you are playing.

Do you think part of this deal will cater to Spotify by blocking TuneIn from coming to PS4 (it's my most-used PS3 app)? I'm a paid Spotify subscriber, but the Spotify radio is abysmal.

VinFTW

Can someone quickly explain the true experience of a free account of Spotify? How obtrusive are the ads? What options do we have for limiting them (if any)?

How does Spotify compare to DI radio or Pandora?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
Very cool to have new features but I can't be the only one on here that finds Spotify quite expensive, I mean £120 a year?!, I'm currently on the premium 99p offer they had running and it's a good service but it's not worth that much imo.

Jesb

This is awesome. I just signed up to spotify recently and have used music unlimited before but wasn't happy with it. I've actually been thinking to myself what would be the best way to get my spotify account on my tv. Now I don't have to wonder how I'll do it. Can't wait!

so HBOGo is probably coming soon, since its going to become like Netflix. However doesn't Comcast still block it on the PS3? I have to use it on my Chromecast instead. WTF Comcast.

yeup. they're basically the only cable company that consistently blocks services like this

impact

Banned
I don't get this move for Sony. How are they going to make money off Spotify? At least with their own service (Music limited) they were making profit from it.

Well if no one was using it and subbing then no, they weren't making profit from it.

i'm assuming the Spotify premium will work like any other version in that I'll be able to sync my offline content to the PS4? that'd be super swell.

A big win for Spotify!

Thank you sir, Spotify get!

I'm ashamed of you three, Taylor is a National Treasure
Taylor-Swift-Blank-Space-Music-Video-GIFs.gif

OT: What I'm wondering is how Sony actually benefits from this deal. They're eliminating their music service in lieu of a partnership with one of the biggest (and greediest) music streaming services in the business, and offering it at no cost to the consumer.

It's also interesting to see how far we've come since November: http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/swifts-shake-spotify-sony-rethinking-ad-based-streaming/

OT: What I'm wondering is how Sony actually benefits from this deal. They're eliminating their music service in lieu of a partnership with one of the biggest (and greediest) music streaming services in the business, and offering it at no cost to the consumer.

It's also interesting to see how far we've come since November: http://www.digitaltrends.com/music/swifts-shake-spotify-sony-rethinking-ad-based-streaming/

They likely have a revenue sharing deal of some sort going on. Spotify gets more customers and Sony gets a piece of the pie while eliminating the costs of running a service that wasn't successful. Sounds like a win to me

Quasar

More Playstation users using streaming means more royalties for Sony Music? Plus they just offloaded the costs of running such a service to Spotify.

If you sign up for the Spotify 30 day trial, can you still go back in later and apply for the student discount before the auto pay kicks in?

They likely have a revenue sharing deal of some sort going on. Spotify gets more customers and Sony gets a piece of the pie while eliminating the costs of running a service that wasn't successful. Sounds like a win to me

More Playstation users using streaming means more royalties for Sony Music? Plus they just offloaded the costs of running such a service to Spotify.

True and True. Didn't even think about how it will expand the userbase, but judging by this thread there are plenty of people who haven't even tried Spotify who will need to make an account in order to use the Sony music serviced. Good on Sony/Spotify for making this happen.

Can't wait for the inevitable "PS4 Spotify Playlist Share Thread"
Dibs on OT :p

I am hoping we get the sling TV app on the PS4 like the X1 is getting. You get espn and a few other channels for like a flat rate of 20 a month. I don't plan to ever subscribe to cable tv so I am looking forward to streaming my TV shows more often.
That's definitely NOT going to happen. Google Playstation Vue. Sony is launching their own such service.

Very cool to have new features but I can't be the only one on here that finds Spotify quite expensive, I mean £120 a year?!, I'm currently on the premium 99p offer they had running and it's a good service but it's not worth that much imo.

You get access to an almost limitless supply of music for $10 per month (or the Euro equivalent). No, I don't think it's too expensive. It's a huge bargain for music lovers who don't pirate their music. If you listen to at least one album a month, you're getting your value out of it. Some of us listen to Spotify every day.

What's the difference between sling and Vue ? You think they would of added the Spotify app if MU was still around?
probably the channels being offered for starters and the locations the services will be available regionally. Don't bring a failing music service into the equation. Netflix, Hulu, crackle, amazon, plex, snag films, vudu HD movies, and epix all coexist together just fine on my PS4 and they all essentially stream movies and tv shows. If music unlimited was actually doing good and there was money to be made off of that and spotify I don't see why they wouldn't utilize both. Music Unlimited failed and spotify is very popular among a broad audience. There will be several new TV like streaming service apps and while Sony will exclusively have there own I don't see why they couldn't or wouldn't implement other 3rd party apps if there is money to be had from them.

I remain sceptical, Sony will find a way to screw this up

I haven't really loved Spotify the times I've played it

I use spotify everyday (using it right now) and it's amazing. It's well worth the $10 monthly sub. They have most bands I could ever want and I listen to a lot of smaller bands.

JP

320kb/s is considered to have negligible difference to the human ear from lossless or CDs. Placebo and peace of mind are considered the big drivers behind going above 320kb/s, as otherwise, storage and streaming are great practical advantages.
And yet whenever people try to prove this point I can not only pick out which is the lower quality sample but if it was running on my system I could give you a good estimate of the actual bitrate of the file that you played to me. It's not important to everybody but it is to some and it can just as obvious as the difference between 30fps to 60fps or the difference between a well mastered DVD and a well mastered blu-ray film.

It depends on your setup and also the quality that your used to but to suggest that the difference is negligible is both subjectively and objectively incorrect and it doesn't matter how often people choose to repeat this fallacy, it doesn't become true.

I haven't used Spotify previously but there are streaming services such as TIDAL which stream uncompressed FLAC music files and Spotify advertising their "Extreme Quality" suggests to me that maybe the quality would be extreme but instead it's a less than stellar 320 kbps.

Not everybody wants HD quality music or even CD quality streaming like you get on TIDAL but that doesn't mean it isn't wanted or appreciated by some people.

Cyd0nia

Banned
Killer app feature for me.

This is something I'd love on Wii U with the gamepad or paired mobiles as remotes. I don't have a PS4 yet, but if true that this includes background play - its awesome.

I wish Spotify was on everything tbh

AmyS

I'm probably like 1 of 5 people that's actually pissed about this.

I mean, there is probably no friggin' way Spotify will get Music Unlimited's catalog right?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

My MU library and playlists will be sent to oblivion soon :(

JP

Although I don't subscribe I would really hope that the Music unlimited library would be available vis PlayStation Music even if it wasn't on the standard version of Spotify.

Not familiar with Spotify but it has to be better than Music Unlimited. As a subscriber to Music Unlimited for the last year I can say Music Unlimited SUCKS. So you can create playlists painfully on you PC but you can't use that on the PS4. The "Premium Channels" are repetitious and play the same weird selection of 50 songs. (Folk and Country should not be on one channel as Carrie Underwood should not come after the Boxer by Simon and Garfunkel.) One time it just played the same song twice in a row. The Vita interface is weirdly better than the PS4 version. Spotify has to be better than Music Unlimited. The actual control of adjusting volume and changing songs with the Playstation button menu is actually awesome so I am hoping that this will be used with Spotify. I guess Vita won't get Spotify but I am OK with that now that I have a good smartphone.

I just want to chill to smooth jazz while playing Pure Pool and old school country while playing Super Mega Baseball.

KingJ2002

Good news... the music unlimited service wasn't the greatest and with the advent of better alternatives such as Spotify, Rdio, etc... there's no point in Sony continuing MU.

I don't assume microsoft would do the same considering they have to compete on different battlefronts with the Xbox Music service... but here's hoping that this deal doesnt exclude xbox gamers from having spotify on their consoles.

It probably will.

Possibly a revenue sharing deal that gives Sony a cut in profits from all PlayStation users using the service.

jcm

I'm probably like 1 of 5 people that's actually pissed about this.

I mean, there is probably no friggin' way Spotify will get Music Unlimited's catalog right?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

My MU library and playlists will be sent to oblivion soon :(

Is there music on MU that you listen to, and spotify doesn't have? Or are you just worried about having to rebuild your playlists?

This costs just as much as Music Unlimited! How can a music service cost more than Netflix, FFS? ><

I was actually in the midst of waiting for MU to offer me another discount; I like the service, but $10/mo for music just seems too steep for music when I get movies for $8/mo. Anyway, I guess it's cool that Spotify have a free option, at least. I wonder if the PS4 will be classified as a "mobile device," or a "computer/tablet."

It would be nice if they had a discount for Plus members to subscribe, even if you had to buy annually. A bundle with Vue might be even better. With a discount for Plus members. lol

This costs just as much as Music Unlimited! How can a music service cost more than Netflix, FFS? ><

I was actually in the midst of waiting for MU to offer me another discount; I like the service, but $10/mo for music just seems too steep for music when I get movies for $8/mo. Anyway, I guess it's cool that Spotify have a free option, at least. I wonder if the PS4 will be classified as a "mobile device," or a "computer/tablet."

It would be nice if they had a discount for Plus members to subscribe, even if you had to buy annually. A bundle with Vue might be even better. With a discount for Plus members. lol

Kinda sorta. Music Unlimited did not offer an ad-supported free version, which Spotify does.

How many devs will retroactively patch their games?

I mean GTA Online is still a thing so hopefully Rockstar does.

You mean in terms of PS3 games, right? Because on PS4 the music playback is built into the system software, meaning any game can have background music.

Derpyduck

Banned
Can someone quickly explain the true experience of a free account of Spotify? How obtrusive are the ads? What options do we have for limiting them (if any)?

How does Spotify compare to DI radio or Pandora?

Free account is essentially the same as a paid account, but you listen to ads every 4 or 5 songs. Paid accounts also get to download the music to their phones, computers, tablets to listen to offline. For people with limited data on phones, that's a godsend. Your option for limiting ads on phones/tablets is paying money. If you listen via web browser, Ad Block on Chrome negates all the ads. I don't know what DI Radio is, but Pandora doesn't let you listen to what you want to. Pandora has you select an artist and then it tailors song lists to that artist. On Spotify you pick the artists and songs you want to listen to, when you want to listen to them.

Top Bottom