• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify coming to PS3 and PS4; Music Unlimited shutting down.

SerTapTap

Good news for Sony and Spotify fans.

Damn, wish Google Play got more traction. They seem to have more stuff that I want to listen to, but this combined with Uber support may make me switch.

I love Google Play, mostly because, well, I just play my own dang music. No one seems to integrate it.

Muzicfreq

Banned
My only hope is that I can still use their free service since $10 a month is faaar too much since I would only use it on one device.

Someday we will be allowed our own music instead of sony trying to make a quick buck

Fezan

Wow another Sony Service shutting down. Sony Music is the biggest Music Corporation and they couldn't even launch a successful streaming service

That 2 year subscription plan for a new iPhone 6 with 1500mb extra data if I choose to have Spotify during that entire period is looking more and more intriguing.

Background play with my custom library? Holy shit. Spotify sure are doing their best to be completely irreplaceable in a lot of people's lives.

DeviantBoi

Are Spotify prices different around the world?

I pay $9 for the family plan... $6 for mine and $3 for another account.

And is there a confirmation that you'll need to be a premium subscriber to listen to music?

Somnia

So when I stream games can I play background music in my stream with Spotify through the system instead of using Youtube playlists like I currently do?

homez99

My only hope is that I can still use their free service since $10 a month is faaar too much since I would only use it on one device.

Someday we will be allowed our own music instead of sony trying to make a quick buck

We are already allowed our own music. Just put a folder called "MUSIC" on a USB stick with your tracks inside, and put it in the PS4. You will be able to play the music on the dashboard as well as in game. This was added in firmware 2.0.

JoshHood

Why not Spotify itself?
I guess maybe this means Sony have built an app that services can plug in to, rather than every service having to make their own console app (which might mean more come over, Sony deals with the OS integration etc.).
Will this only have a selection of Spotify's content?
No idea, this is all we have for now, but I'd assume everything (there'd be no reason not to if it's covered by the same sub).
Why is it called "PlayStation Music" and not "Sony Music"? The latter would make more sense imo. Especially on phones and tablets.
Because the Sony Entertainment Network branding doesn't appear to really have taken off, so this is simpler given it's already a known entertainment brand, at a guess?

Piccoro

I'm gonna guess that every country that has access to Spotify in their country will have access to it on PS4, assuming that the country has access to the PlayStation Store.

Yup, 41 countries for Spotify, while Music Unlimited had 19. Good ridance, M.U.
And also being on the PS3 is good.

But although this is some great news, we can't forget that Sony ARE IGNORING the Vita and the recently released Vita TV!!!!

Hmm. I actually really liked Music Unlimited and used the service almost every day. I use it all the time when I'm playing GTAV or something too. Shame they have to close it down, but I'm not entirely sure Music Unlimited has a large enough subscription base to make it worthwhile.

I've yet to use Spotify, mainly because it only recently came to Canada and I've been using Music Unlimited for the longest time. Considering the price for my MU subscription is the same Spotify, I guess I'll just link up accounts and subscribe.

Although it doesn't sound like this will come to Vita, which is awful.

It'd be nice if they did the same thing for Google Play Music, but I have my doubts that we'll ever see that service on either console. I'd love to have the background soundtrack,but not enough to pay for a second service.

anddo0

It will be interesting if the free option makes it to PS4 (doubt it).

MU was good. But the OS was sluggish and often crashed on PS4. I never had issues with the Vita version.

Goteki_45

giphy.gif

awesome news..so pumped for this :)

VinFTW

Hopefully it comes to x1 too. don't know why it has to be exclusive to a system (yes, we're in the age of music service exclusivity, sigh...)

Want background music for both my systems :(

I've been subd to MU since release. Guess I'm gonna have to find all of my music on another service :(

Spotify will have everything you need. I was on MU for years and switched to Spotify last year. It is incredible and this coming from a guy that likes obscure mathcore.

Hexa

PlayStation Services:

PlayStation Network (Base)
PlayStation Store (Games and Video store)
PlayStation Now (Game Streaming)
PlayStation Vue (Web TV)
PlayStation Music (Music Streaming)

What other services could they do?

Top Bottom