• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spotify coming to PS3 and PS4; Music Unlimited shutting down.

Haha! :3

Time to make playlists for each genre! :p

Start posting recommendations!
Closure in Moscow - Pink Lemonade
Great album to play while.. Doing anything. I listen to it for racing. It is a bit too pop sometimes, but I kinda like cheesy stuff once in a while.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
This is the Kind of the thing I always wish Sony would do, and NEVER do. I'm impressed, guess ill get a premium account now.

Any driving game is made 10x better with Rear View Mirror by Pearl Jam.

PS4 just went Super Saiyan on our arse...

1403876823frnXxyM.gif

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
Good news for Sony and Spotify fans.
I love Google Play, mostly because, well, I just play my own dang music. No one seems to integrate it.
No one has Hot Freaks =(
Sony is doubling and tripling down on the PlayStation brand if some of y'all haven't noticed. Nothing to get suspicious over. Thus, this is good news. I can keep my USB for my obscure stuff and Spotify for everything else.

Ape

Banned
No one has Hot Freaks =(
Sony is doubling and tripling down on the PlayStation brand if some of y'all haven't noticed. Nothing to get suspicious over. Thus, this is good news. I can keep my USB for my obscure stuff and Spotify for everything else.

Playstation is a very strong brand for them right now.

Strider

I mean those without Spotify Premium. I havent renewed in awhile.

I doubt you'll be able to access it without spotify premium. Of course that's not confirmed here so maybe you'll be able to listen to spotify with ads, but given the way they handle devices other than pc (such as phones, tablets) I'd say it's unlikely.

Aw man I just signed up for Music Unlimited too. I was pretty happy with it.

Haven't used Spotify, is it similar?

It's similar. But better.

PlayStation Services:

PlayStation Network (Base)
PlayStation Store (Games and Video store)
PlayStation Now (Game Streaming)
PlayStation Vue (Web TV)
PlayStation Music (Music Streaming)

What other services could they do?

This is great so far.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
But can I use it with a free Spotify account? I'm one of those incredibly weird people who prefer owning their music, so I don't pay for any streaming service.

DeviantBoi

I've never background streamed any music on my PS4. How does it work?

Is it just the music that is replaced? Can I still hear voices and sound effects?

soxxx

Banned
Not sure why everyone is shocked about background play. It's been there with MU since launch
Yeah but the system was crap, there wasnt much music on it either.

I am not trying to ask for to much but if we could somehow use the Playstation app or the spotify app to change the songs from our phone/tablet, that would be a godsend.

Meier

Whaaaaaattt??? Your getting robbed man! You can get yearly subs on eBay for $20 sometimes $10 bucks!

These are all sketchy as fuck. They want access to your account? Lol. Even if I changed every bit of info to be unique for this I'd still be nervous about doing something like that. I do see a listing for one for $60 for an "e-gift code" which is kind of tempting.

This is the best gaming news I've heard in a while. Fuck you, music unlimited. Get the fuck off of my home screen and take Video Unlimited with you.

Also, i quite enjoy Spotify.

I doubt you'll be able to access it without spotify premium. Of course that's not confirmed here so maybe you'll be able to listen to spotify with ads, but given the way they handle devices other than pc (such as phones, tablets) I'd say it's unlikely.

Spotify with ads is better than no Spotify.

SerTapTap

No one has Hot Freaks =(

I listen to lots of game music so basically no service without an upload-your-own option will do for me.

And yeah, it's a smart move too, IMO. Playstation brand seems to easily have the most positive buzz.

Afrikan

They're leveraging the power of the brand, which they seem to have realized has more enduring potential than the company name. See also, Playstation TV coming soon.

PlayStation Vue...PlayStation Now.

on topic...I had Music Unlimited way back ($12 deal) and enjoyed it mostly. Although I had to not allow updates to get it to work on my Samsung phone.

That being said, I feel bad for the workers/team.

Wow another Sony Service shutting down. Sony Music is the biggest Music Corporation and they couldn't even launch a successful streaming service

To be fair, I'm pretty sure that the closest thing we have to a successful digital music or video delivery service that was created by a major media company is Hulu.

Christos

Yup, 41 countries for Spotify, while Music Unlimited had 19. Good ridance, M.U.
And also being on the PS3 is good.

But although this is some great news, we can't forget that Sony ARE IGNORING the Vita and the recently released Vita TV!!!!

Yeah, I thought about that too but there is no way it's coming to PS3 and not coming to PS Vita that would be absolutely ridiculous.

Dynomutt

PlayStation Services:

PlayStation Network (Base)
PlayStation Store (Games and Video store)
PlayStation Now (Game Streaming)
PlayStation Vue (Web TV)
PlayStation Music (Music Streaming)

What other services could they do?

Let AWS (Amazon) handle their servers this way they avoid dealing with MS and have a top notch system.

Let Google develop a legitimate Chrome browser for PS4 that has access to Google Docs for on the fly productivity with Wi-Fi/Internet printing.

Everything else is good especially with Spotify handling the music end now. It'll probably save Sony $$$ on music royalties.

SerTapTap

They're leveraging the power of the brand, which they seem to have realized has more enduring potential than the company name. See also, Playstation TV coming soon.

Playstation TV is already the name of their home console version of the Vita. Playstation Vue is an upcoming TV service.

eznark

Banned
Wow another Sony Service shutting down. Sony Music is the biggest Music Corporation and they couldn't even launch a successful streaming service

Probably makes more sense to just collect royalties from everyone else than try to build your own anyway.

This is dope news!

Nzyme32

I recall reading that they really want to push the Playstation brandname (Playstation Now, etc) since it's the most profitable businessunit

Wouldn't surprise me, it's a good move. Lots of devices are going app centric for services including smart TVs and other boxes. Having Playstation Music be something that can push other services that folk already use or provide enhancements to that or integrate them more into games and other stuff, would be great for plenty of people.

Not sure what MS will be doing since Windows 10 will probably just push individual apps and such. Steam is meant to be doing something similar, with Spotify being mentioned years back, but then nothing happened, haha how typical.

Dynomutt

These are all sketchy as fuck. They want access to your account? Lol. Even if I changed every bit of info to be unique for this I'd still be nervous about doing something like that. I do see a listing for one for $60 for an "e-gift code" which is kind of tempting.

I can see how that could be the case. Frugality sometimes muffles common sense. Point taken.

Top Bottom