• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2012 | Welcome Home, Space Cowboy

Status
Not open for further replies.

duckroll

How does it work, then, when looking up a definition for loli tells me that it means a pre teenage girl and that's how it was used in the first place by Jarmel?

How it works is that if I had a daughter and someone said "my what a cute loli you have there" I would probably punch him in the face. I don't think it's hard to understand! :p

neoanarch

How does it work, then, when looking up a definition for loli tells me that it means a pre teenage girl and that's how it was used in the first place by Jarmel?

Its already been explained. Loli is short for Lolita. A classic novel about a man who becomes involved sexually with a young girl.

Uchip

Banned
Its already been explained. Loli is short for Lolita. A classic novel about a man who becomes involved sexually with a young girl.

Lolicon is also what Japanese call people that are attracted to underage girls

How it works is that if I had a daughter and someone said "my what a cute loli you have there" I would probably punch him in the face. I don't think it's hard to understand! :p

I shouldn't laugh at this
but I did

BosSin

No matter where you get the definition from, its origins are more important. It's why the word 'nigga' still gets cut out in rap videos, even though a black person is using it in a totally different context.

Jarmel

Banned

I used it mainly to piss off duckroll for an earlier comment about not watching moe shit. Also I'm on the side of loli not being a sexual term in of itself.

No matter where you get the definition from, its origins are more important. It's why the word 'nigga' still gets cut out in rap videos, even though a black person is using it in a totally different context.

What? Who edits nigga out? The origin does matter but it's the everyday usage of said term that is much more important. You used the worst possible example.

neoanarch

I used it mainly to piss off duckroll for an earlier comment about not watching moe shit. Also I'm on the side of loli not being a sexual term in of itself.

What? Who edits nigga out? The origin does matter but it's the everyday usage of said term that is much more important. You used the worst possible example.

I don't know what part of the internet your using or being blocked from viewing but its so sexual in nature.

don't google image search

BosSin

On music videos in the UK it gets edited out, don't know about the US or other countries

EDIT: oh and I was a little unclear, it gets cut by the station that plays it (usually because it's before watershed)

Steroyd

the implied sexual label is completely out of place, is what i meant.

Lolicon is the implied sexual label, loli is harmless on it's own, that said I often use the term more towards under-developed looking girls (e.g Kugiloli's) who would be technically legal but would just plain look wrong, than use it for actual children, even though I do it from time to time especially if they're moeblobs.

Lolicon is the implied sexual label, loli is harmless on it's own, that said I often use the term more towards under-developed looking girls (e.g Kugiloli's) who would be technically legal but would just plain look wrong, than use it for actual children, even though I do it from time to time especially if they're moeblobs.

No, loli on its own is a sexualized term, for reasons that have been explained. I'd only consider using it for a sexualized character, myself...

I do understand that the term's had a somewhat broader application in anime and manga, but still, it almost always applies to sexualized characters.

the shorter the better imo

I've had no problem with that kind of thing ever since Naru Narusegawa, myself. :)

Whats wrong with Bee Train gifs? I wish more people would post gifs of shows like Noir or Madlax.

Nothing's wrong with Bee Train, but some people here hate them.

Lain

Fine, I can understand that, but we aren't talking of RL here, we are talking about May Chang, a fictional anime character that's a young girl and that Jarmel called a loli.
I completely fail to see the implied sexualization in the use of the word loli in that context, which is what I really meant.

I can be totally wrong on this, but hey, every time the word loli has been used in this thread (or the manga thread) in the past, that's the way I interpreted it, to just mean a young girl in the context of anime and manga.

neoanarch

Fine, I can understand that, but we aren't talking of RL here, we are talking about May Chang, a fictional anime character that's a young girl and that Jarmel called a loli.
I completely fail to see the implied sexualization in the use of the word loli in that context, which is what I really meant.

I can be totally wrong on this, but hey, every time the word loli has been used in this thread (or the manga thread) in the past, that's the way I interpreted it, to just mean a young girl in the context of anime and manga.

Well, I guess now you get the joke.

Steroyd

No, loli on its own is a sexualized term, for reasons that have been explained. I'd only consider using it for a sexualized character, myself...

I do understand that the term's had a somewhat broader application in anime and manga, but still, it almost always applies to sexualized characters.

It's not the word, it's how you use them?

So basically what you're saying is that Hina (the 3 year old) from Listen to me Girls I'm Your Father is either a loli or a little girl depending on how people interpret her eating a banana?

It's not the word, it's how you use them?

So basically what you're saying is that Hina (the 3 year old) from Listen to me Girls I'm Your Father is either a loli or a little girl depending on how people interpret her eating a banana?

Yeah, pretty much; though of course the original definition of lolita meant a near-puberty or early-puberty girl, anime has extended that down and that change seems to have stuck (within anime, not elsewhere I think) more so than the sexualization change has... But either way, yeah, it's pretty hard to find a little girl who isn't sexualized in anime made for otaku. They do exist, but sexualization is much more common, unfortunately.

wonzo

Banned
HeartCatch PreCure! 7

heartcatch7.jpg
heartcatch7a.jpg
heartcatch7b.jpg

lol. it was pretty obvious to begin with.

Lafiel

と呼ぶがよい
Mai Ritoru Poni: Yuujou wa Mahou 12 - Applebloom is pretty moe. Pretty damn fun episode overall. Enjoyed it a lot.

frostbyte

An AnimeGAFcast needs to happen at this point.

I'm all for a AnimeGAFcast too but it's easy to be enthusiastic. Too much work really. Unless some members are dedicated enough.

This is true, but it just makes representing a product a lot of fun. Here is Fastech 360-tan.
KpQDH.gif

See, she has cat ears. THE TRAIN ALSO HAS CAT EARS FOR AIRBRAKES.
v03Lw.jpg

This is the first time I've seen a train in another way.

Obviously Kanna. I would even pick this new girl over Ichika

BROFIST. Man, I still don't believe there are Ichika fans. WHY?

Whats wrong with Bee Train gifs? I wish more people would post gifs of shows like Noir or Madlax.

I would've done it when watching Noir for those sweet action scenes but I don't know how to make gifs. :(

---------------------------

My animation is apparently:

By Bones, a 300 episode mecha anime about frostbyte's homo adventures.

...at least it'll be well animated. I don't like the subject matter though.

Jex

After learning that antenna hair actually had a name, I've learnt to assume everything anime related has a technical term.

There's probably an otaku dictionary out there.

I assume there's a word for the otaku obsession of categorizing and labelling everything.

Jex

And Yamadera.
But the most important thing about the Japanese cast is that it's superior to the US one. Come on, NeoGAF. Seriously. Come on.

As most people are introduced to it in English and it's one those rare cases were (nearly) everyone tells you that the dub is excellent most people have no reason to try watching in Japanese. Well, that's the reason that I have never watched it in Japanese but the next time I go through the show I will have to give it a spin.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Mysterious Girlfriend X 1
Well, after I bashed the hell out of the voice acting in the trailer, I finally got around to watching the actual episode and it was...actually kinda OK? Not sure what happened there. Saw a couple other people commenting on the same impression, "almost didn't watch it because of the trailer," etc.

Since I posted this last time with NicoNico comments on the trailer:

I figure I'd better follow up with comments on the actual first episode:
http://i.imgur.com/j8Lqa.png
Fuck the otaku.

cajunator

Banned
That has to be one of the most baffling moments I have ever had. WHY?

and those plebeian trains don't have anything on Fastech 360-tan.

Yes. Embrace the nekotrain. LOVE IT.

As most people are introduced to it in English and it's one those rare cases were (nearly) everyone tells you that the dub is excellent most people have no reason to try watching in Japanese. Well, that's the reason that I have never watched it in Japanese but the next time I go through the show I will have to give it a spin.

The Japanese version can sod off. The english dub of this show is masterful. It is just perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom