• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorvoSol

I'm not sure what you mean about "halfway through a year and a half ago". The halfway mark would be somewhere around Christmas 2023 (when Kirito got the message from Sachi), when the front line was at Floor 49. Episode 8 takes place in October 2024, and they've just reached the boss of Floor 74, so that's 25 floors in about ten months. Not so shabby, considering the difficulty has been gradually ramping up.

That doesn't match up for me at all. Kirito's had a house on Floor 50 for several episodes, and only like, last episode did someone comment that they were six months into this mess.

Girls und Panzer 01

Oh hey the concept's sorta like Upotte.

This show is still an "I don't even" kind of show at this point. Kinda sucks that the MC had to get forced into doing Tankery through intense peer pressure, but eh I know the story's gotta move on somehow.

What in actual fuck they're on an aircraft carrier

cnet128

Banned
That doesn't match up for me at all. Kirito's had a house on Floor 50 for several episodes, and only like, last episode did someone comment that they were six months into this mess.

I can't recall the exact location of Kirito's dwellings at any given time, but it would certainly make sense for him to have been staying on Floor 50 for "several episodes", since the 50-floor mark was crossed in between Episode 3 (ends in December 2023) and Episode 4 (takes place in February 2024).

Not sure what comment you mean about being six months in in Episode 7, but that doesn't sound right at all. Episode 7 takes place in June 2024, a full year and a half after the death game started in November 2022.

EDIT: I can't remember if the anime included this detail, but the murder-mystery story from episodes 5-6 actually used the fact that the game has been going on for over a year as a plot point in the novels.
There's a large stone slab thingy on Floor 1 which records the names of all players and crosses them off as they die. However, while it records the date and time of death, it doesn't mention the year. Kains was able to lend credibility to his death by matching the date and time up with the death of a similarly-named player who had died precisely one year beforehand.

CorvoSol

Revolutionary Girl Utena 1

I sincerely doubt that the men's uniform for the school is tight red shorts. Mostly because the other boys shown in the background are all wearing mint green suits. And the girl in the OP looks like Papillon from Gao Gai Gar Final.

Yeah. Anthy is a dead ringer for GGGF's Papillon.

This is some absurdly dramatic music for an informal meeting of the Student Council. Also, this rose frame thing is beginning to bug me. "For now I am his Bride"? So what, is the Student Council a free love cult or something?

Onion Kingdom sounds like a rad place. Bet they have Onion Knights there like Luneth and Davos Seaworth.

The hell are these shadow puppets about?

Kaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay. This song is kinda creepy. Wow, so uh, does the Champion have total rights to the Rose Bride, then? Why would anyone agree to that?
Yo, f'get pullin' swords from stones. Pullin' a sword from yo' bride's breast is where it is at. Also, World Revolution is an awesome song.

This show is kinda weird.

I can't recall the exact location of Kirito's dwellings at any given time, but it would certainly make sense for him to have been staying on Floor 50 for "several episodes", since the 50-floor mark was crossed in between Episode 3 (ends in December 2023) and Episode 4 (takes place in February 2024).

Not sure what comment you mean about being six months in in Episode 7, but that doesn't sound right at all. Episode 7 takes place in June 2024, a full year and a half after the death game started in November 2022.

EDIT: I can't remember if the anime included this detail, but the murder-mystery story from episodes 5-6 actually used the fact that the game has been going on for over a year as a plot point in the novels.
There's a large stone slab thingy on Floor 1 which records the names of all players and crosses them off as they die. However, while it records the date and time of death, it doesn't mention the year. Kains was able to lend credibility to his death by matching the date and time up with the death of a similarly-named player who had died precisely one year beforehand.

Yeah, the anime definitely did not bring up that stuff.

CorvoSol

Functional equivalent of a greek chorus. They comment on the events of an episode, but usually through symbolism like everything else in the show.

Well, yeah. That's part of the fun.

They give me daggum nightmares, that's what they do.

Highschool of the Dead 13

OH MY.

Shergal

Valvrave 10

You win, Valvrave. The ride will be grandiose.

dat jarring overacting in all the scenes outside of the pool - 1:10 - 1:15 for example.

I didn't find it that jarring- it fits the tone of the show, and I'm good with some flamboyancy.

It's very much Utsumi's style, and many animators at DO animate characters similarly (There are various instances of it in Hyouka 7 and 21, and Chuu2 11, notably.)

Valvrave 10

You win, Valvrave. The ride will be grandiose.

I didn't find it that jarring- it fits the tone of the show, and I'm good with some flamboyancy.

It's very much Utsumi's style, and many animators at DO animate characters similarly (There are various instances of it in Hyouka 7 and 21, and Chuu2 11, notably.)

Hyouka 21 had the Mayaka-chocolate scene or? One of the worst moments in Hyouka - it was like watching a bad Spanish soap-opera.
I'm not really a fan of Utsumi's style.

If Free! is full of such moments, I think I don't even need to start watching the show. I wouldn't enjoy it.

Shergal

Hyouka 21 had the Mayaka-chocolate scene or? One of the worst moments in Hyouka - it was like watching a bad Spanish soap-opera.
I'm not really a fan of Utsumi's style.

If Free! is full of such moments, I think I don't even need to start watching the show. I wouldn't enjoy it.

Chitanda's tantrum scene is quite similar too. The end result will generally depend a lot on the animator and AD involved, but many DO episodes are like that, and it seems to be frequent with Utsumi (to be clear, Chuu2 11 is not by her but by Eisaku Kawanami, the other prominent director at DO).

Theonik

This post plus your avatar had me laugh way harder than I should have.
Glad to be of service.

Kirino deserves love too :(
No she doesn't.

It really is a phenomenal OVA. It only gets better too.
No disagreement there!

Why must you tease us so?

YES!

My favorite OVA ever.

Everytime you hear RK fans wailing about the Jinchuu arc never being animated, rest assured that the very best part of it (and the only reason anyone gave a shit about Jinchuu) is in Tsuioku-hen.
I'm not sure about favourite OVA ever but it really is great!

You guys should really just be pushing the Hosodapocalypse to everybody. Its a great movie and you don't feel dirty for ruining someone's day with a shit recommendation.
Way ahead of you planning to show it to family soon, I already showed them "The Girl Who Leapt Through Time" and the loved it!

They need to bring Sakura Taisen back or make Valkyria Chronicles; Waifu Edition. You're welcome, Sega.
We already got the anime for that.
Yeah... *self avatar quote*

NeonZ

Slayers TRY 1
Question: When am I supposed to watch the Slayers movies?

All Slayers movies and OVAs are prequels that take place before the first season. There are no direct connections between the plot of each movie, so they can be watched in production order. The only exception is Slayers Premium, which takes place between Next and Try rather than pre-Slayers.

SNAFU 11

It had :SDBurton and :DTL so... lulz. Besides that it was very amusing. More philosophical battles and ideological deconstruction. I really really really enjoy this anime because I think it goes places where animes rarely go.

Yeah. My surprise series of the season too. Really enjoying this.

Theonik

Rurouni Kenshin Tsuioku-Hen Act 3
iGDSejbeMvxxG.png
izVs4NTv9ELg.png
ibvDbf9ZNTHPNU.png

Hnnngh part 3
Save for some Musashi Gundoh-esque parts this was a pretty good episode.
It sets the stage for the finally quite admirably and the
sex scene
was pretty well done too. Them backgrounds hnngh. Everything was sorta predictable but now that we have confirmation it makes looking at the expressions and interactions of the previous episodes a lot more interesting.
Going to watch the finale later tonight. First I gotta see VVV before it is spoiled for me.
Also bonus feet for firehawk12

Jintor

Girls und Panzer 01

Oh hey the concept's sorta like Upotte.

This show is still an "I don't even" kind of show at this point. Kinda sucks that the MC had to get forced into doing Tankery through intense peer pressure, but eh I know the story's gotta move on somehow.

What in actual fuck they're on an aircraft carrier

AHAHAHAHAHAH

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Smile Precure 35

It says a lot about how bad of a character Reika is when one doesn't think, "oh, she's really smart," but rather, "she's adept at interacting with her own kind."

NeonZ

Smile Precure 35

It says a lot about how bad of a character Reika is when one doesn't think, "oh, she's really smart," but rather, "she's adept at interacting with her own kind."

Reika was generally pretty bland, but some writers basically did make "Robo Reika" (Reika doesn't understand humans/basic things) jokes. She also could never really be too smart a lot of the time because it'd kind of break the series, which relied a lot on a dumb main cast for some episodes.

I should probably get some sleep after this one.

Clannad: After Story 18

Wow man
you've really turned into a dick. To be fair, I probably would've too. And a cold heart to boot. Yeah I feel ya man.

man those parallel run deep

still tugging at those heartstring. this show has already ruined me and it just keeps wrecking me.

---

Night y'all. See ya tomorrow

Dammit, you sure go fast with these! Whatever you do, don't drop it. More feels are to come.

Theonik

Valvrave 10
The reactions were way overblown for this. Also friggin' Kayos spoilers.
Was still hilarious for other reasons though.

BluWacky

Hurray for NeraGaku swag!

(yes I am at work so sue me)

A quick flick through the manga suggests it replicates the film fairly exactly in terms of dialogue.

The "Until Tomorrow" picture book epilogue that came with the BD has barely any story in it whatsoever, but it's a sweet enough epilogue to the film I guess.

The guidebook is lovely, although unfortunately much of it is far beyond my Japanese ability. I'm rather amused that there's a whole page devoted to the clouds in the film, though, this isn't a Shinkai work... There's a great in-depth interview with Ryosuke Nakamura that I'll have to plough my way through in several years' time when I can read it properly, which includes a full list of absolutely everything he's ever worked on before which might interest a few staffwhores.

I won't get a chance to rewatch the film until the weekend unfortunately but I'm looking forward to it a lot...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
SNAFU 11
EVX1zEil.jpg

:batman

hSVMFwEl.jpg

:catwoman

LD0zmqgl.jpg

Also, this was hilarious - more so if you've watched Space Brothers and have seen it used in a completely opposite context. lol

Sword Art Online 8

Okay, so, serious question: What CAN you feel in SAO? Because apparently both Kirito and Asuna can feel Asuna's breasts, and when Asuna hurled Kirito against the statue, he apparently felt that, and the game apparently can simulate sex, but getting kneed in the groin doesn't hurt at all?

Everything is stimulated , except your private parts, the players feel cold, pain , heat and numbness

Kicked in the groins doesn't hurt because it's off limits. It's no longer off limits when you play that sex mini game

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 121
Eudial > Mimette > Kaorinite > Telulu. I had high hopes for your Princess Leia buns, but you had to die fighting a freaking flower monster while ripping off Jadeite's plans. Sadly, I don't think anyone will go out as fabulously as Eu-chan.

Wait, so if the Professor can revive Kaorinite why hasn't he done the same to Eudial? Does he need a body to do so and hers was already eaten by sharks? Alternatively, he's just a fan of cleavage.
Continuity!

duckroll

http://www.ntv.co.jp/GATCHAMAN_Crowds/

Cast and music announced.

Taku Iwasaki is composing the soundtrack for Gatchaman Crowds. It will feature futuristic, stylish, and aggressive music. The ED theme is sold along with the OST, so I think it's composed by Iwasaki too.

OP Theme - "Crowds" by White Ash
ED Theme - "Innocent Note" by Maaya Uchida (as Hajime Ichinose)

Full cast list (thanks Ikari, I just copied and pasted :p):
Hajime Ichinose - Maaya Uchida
Sugune Tachibana - Ryota Ohsaka
Jō Hibiki - Daisuke Namikawa
O.D - Daisuke Hosomi
Utsu-tsu - Kotori Koiwai
Paiman - Aya Hirano
J.J. Robinson - Katsuji Mori
Rui Ninomiya - Ayumu Murase
Berg Katze - Mamoru Miyano
Sosai X -Sakura Tange

Status