• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jex

valvrave - 10

The timing (and juxtaposition) of the two scenes at the end + some of the lines (DREAM BIG AND DO WHATEVER YOU WANT ->
you know what starting
/
SHOKO WON
) got me pretty good.

That said I really need to avoid spoilers, knowing what happened here a week in advance didn't help.

I know others have made the argument that spoilers can't ruin a really good text. However, as Valvrave isn't a work with a particularly strong story or well developed characters, a lot of the enjoyment for me is being surprised by what silly thing they pull out of the bag next. I really don't want to know what's going to happen next.

OceanBlue

One key animator/layout designer can't go astray that much! As I understand it, the supervision's responsibility (including additional layout changes, like on continuity checks) would fall more onto the animation director or episode director roles (in case there is something personally seen as off or unwanted, to be changed) that should always mark the postural and composition corrections by themselves. On this cyclic back-and-forth work between layers of staffers even the most important links of the production chain are affected. Which leads us to this:

The tight control and continuous feedback necessary that, while tremendously exhausting for the omnipresent supervisor, is many times imposed on such animation system process can make it a very close approach to achieving an unique vision, compared to different mediums offering other kinds of collaborative projects.

I've heard that some key animators with a large reputation are essentially left to do what they want for some cuts. Is that a bit exaggerated? I'd imagine that it's rare at most. I think I do attribute too much to key animators without considering how episode directors and animation directors affect a show's production though.

What I've seen mentioned habitually is senior key animators doing layouts for themselves, or for other lower-level key animators that they could use. There are workers with that task specifically assigned to them, though (and consequently only credited as such).

Now that you've mentioned it, maybe I do remember seeing people being attributed to layouts for some shows. I guess I never really made the connection.

rsVDDXh.jpg

Sugita Cosplaying as Gintoki. How epic and similar is that?

Looks like he's just made for the role.

Moving at two pages while I sleep. We're back on track.

Smile Precure 35

It says a lot about how bad of a character Reika is when one doesn't think, "oh, she's really smart," but rather, "she's adept at interacting with her own kind."

Sounds like my thoughts exactly.

I remember... before I started I was basically told "They're the Yes! group but 4/5 of them are dumber. Cure Beauty is the best one in fighting because she's not stupid".

Was kinda hoping it wasn't in this direction, but we need THE PATH sometimes :/

Still good for doujins though

/XX/

I've heard that some key animators with a large reputation are essentially left to do what they want for some cuts. Is that a bit exaggerated? I'd imagine that it's rare at most. I think I do attribute too much to key animators without considering how episode directors and animation directors affect a show's production though.
Yeah, that would be not so frequent overall... but it happens (didn't Yoshinori Kanada had the fame of ignoring time after time storyboards and instructions while going his own way?).

I think I do attribute too much to key animators without considering how episode directors and animation directors affect a show's production though.
Sometimes, brave ones like Seiya Numata sneak past production duties of those most responsible ones, and their more menial 'bureaucracy', doing what they want in the process:

Seiya Numata – Kanada’s successor? | Ani no Miyako said:
When Numata is in charge of animation direction, everything sure moves a lot more than in other episodes, one of the most ‘extreme’ cases is certainly the super-smooth movement and lip-synch in ‘Kannagi’ #2. However, Yutaka Yamamoto wasn’t really happy with it as way too many drawings were used. Episode 1 had 6000 animation frames while episode 2 had 12000 (!) animation frames, that’s a jump of 100% (the other episodes had 4000-5000 as far as I know). On the DVD audio commentary he put the blame on Numata, but I can’t imagine that he’s the only one at fault. I mean, it’s not like Numata worked alone on that episode, there was still the episode director after all. And as director, Yamamoto himself was supposed to keep track of budgetary issues like the number of animation frames used. Apparently, he found out way too late about it since the episode was corrected for a later broadcast & DVD (some of the lip-synch was removed and such). As I said, Numata is definitely someone who loves to make everything move a lot, but I’m not sure if he would ignore instructions from the director(s) like some people accused him of. Either way, Yamakan probably prefers not to work with him anymore…
http://aninomiyako.wordpress.com/2010/08/23/seiya-numata-kanadas-successor/

Really, WHY WOULD YOU "CORRECT" THAT?

/XX/

You have to be trying to do character designs worse than Medaka's.
Yep. :-(

The last bastion of previous-GAiNAX animators (there is also Shōji Saeki, that was one from the brilliant new 'rookie' generation at the studio as presented time ago by Mr. Imaishi & Mr. Hiramatsu; http://www.style.fm/log/01_talk/gaina03.html). Nevertheless, I keep thinking he made good use of the original designs he had to work with, and his personal touch made it all shine a bit brighter (http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/5142ovC3JTL.jpg and http://ec2.images-amazon.com/images/I/61WYSIVLIwL.jpg).

Don't believe Hito's lies, it was an Ultraman reference.
Man, is there anything about Mr. Anno's work that isn't in one way or another a reference to Ultraman?

Don't you mean Bauer? ;P
Aw, I can't help but think it isn't nice what they did presenting him in that way (well, assuming Mr. Hayter isn't still involved in some capacity). To me, it seems that maybe Mr. Kojima's unmitigated enthusiasm (as always) in achieving something like the opportunity of working with such an actor made the whole ordeal a little reckless and insensitive, it could have still be done in a less convoluted and depreciative manner. At least that is all I can say without seeing the whole picture.

Holy fuck, Toriharon from Gothicmade is on there. WTF?!
That's nothing... he was on second place just two months ago!

Kanashimi no Belladonna

is hot
Hey! Where is your thoughtful analysis? You accustomed me already to those so I demand it! :)

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 10

I don't know who I side with in this whole thing with Sakura's dad and Tomoyo's mom. On one hand, Tomoyo's mom was really going at him, and he kept his cool the entire time, so he deserves credit for that. On the other hand...the whole thing with him being a teacher and Nadeshiko being a student and marrying him when she was just 16 and still a student...I can understand why Tomoyo's mom is so upset with him. But on the other hand, from the way both of them described the situation, it sounded a lot like one of those "true love" things, and not him being a predator. Complicated issue.

So if Sakura's mom and Tomoyo's mom were cousins, what does that make Sakura and Tomoyo? Second cousins? I don't know how the terminology works.

People were getting rather dramatic about it raining flowers at the school. Drowning? Medical tent? They're fucking flowers, guys. Unless you have an allergy, you should be fine. Also, the Flower Clow Card is one of my new favorite characters. Replace Li with her.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou
I'm just glad he compared it to Redline and not Resident Evil 4.

Everytime I see the RE4 comp I cry inside. I can't stand that fucking game.

Tamerlane

Banned
the last of us:

This is starting to remind me of Redline.

How does it feel to play the best Art of the year?

/XX/ said:
Hey! Where is your thoughtful analysis? You accustomed me already to those so I demand it! :)

Kanashimi no Belladonna is cool b/c it uses the slideshow format perfectly and structures everything around it. Long well-crafted panoramic shots and the Aubrey Beardsley-style designs make up for any perceived lack of animation. Dick ghost was cool. Basically a Deleuzian film since it's all about how personal and sexual repression are the same as political repression, and it hammers this home with the French Revolution montage before the credits. 70s as all hell.

There's my Roger Ebert blurb review. Unlike Ebert however I consider Video Games, along with Anime and Pick Ups, to be the best Arts of our time.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
Also, the Sakura Tange character was revealed by the cast listing to be the modern equivalent of main antagonist Sosai X:

img_xxx.gif

x.jpg

That's an interesting casting call there. I wonder how she'll handle an antagonist role?

She probably has done so before and I am again showing my ignorance.

faridmon

On a way unrelated subject to Anime; Nodame Cantabile Special ep. is really awful and made me cringe in its entirety.
One of the few series I really don't understand why it is liked. Such a shitty and unfunny Drama.
Everytime I see the RE4 comp I cry inside. I can't stand that fucking game.

WTF?

cnet128

Banned
You can feel pain , it's just reduced.
You're confused
because in the end game it's amplified beyond normal levels.
Pain is reduced because too much pain in the virtual world ( at once ) lead to after effects IRL especialy on the nerves

Wrong. You can't feel pain in SAO (
or any games based on it, such as ALO
) on the standard settings. Here's a quick translation of the relevant sections in novel 4 from the scene you mentioned (Corvo, don't read this, it's way beyond where you're up to >.>)

First, at the standard settings, with the Pain Absorber set to Level 10, when Sugou stabs Kirito with his own sword:
The sensation of thick metal piercing through my body extinguished the fire that had been coursing through my nerves. It looked like the sword had gone right through the centre of my chest and buried itself deep in the floor below. There was no pain, but I was assailed by an intense, rough, unpleasant sensation.

Then with the Pain Absorber reduced to level 8:
Instantly, a flash of genuine pain, like a sharp drill digging into my body, raced up my spine.

We don't actually get to witness any of the levels between 8 and zero, but Sugou does give the following explanation:
"Ahahah...this is still just two notches up, you know. I'll gradually make it stronger and stronger, so look forward to that. I hear at Level 3 and below, there's a danger of shock symptoms remaining even after you log out."

And finally, when Kirito reduces the Pain Absorber level to zero to take care of Sugou, we have the following description:
Hearing the command to increase the simulation of pain to unlimited levels, a trace of agitation raced across the face of the Fairy King with his golden sword.

In other words, at the standard Pain Absorber setting, Level 10, all pain is completely eliminated. All you can feel is an "unpleasant sensation" (though it does get fairly intense when taking massive damage). And though they would never be used in normal gameplay, the Pain Absorber has settings all the way down to Level 0, at which point all limitations are removed, so pain is simulated to the same level as it would be felt in real life. (Thankfully, there don't seem to be any settings where pain would be multiplied beyond real-life levels, which would really be overkill...)

Incidentally, Accel World has a similar feature, but the standard settings are far nastier than in SAO, particularly considering this is a game where battles to the death are considered normal.
Even in standard battles, we sometimes see characters suffering from lingering pain after a battle is finished (most notably Rust Jigsaw after his battle with Blood Leopard, where she specifically aimed for that effect). In the Unlimited Field, pain levels are set to twice that of standard battles, so while the author has gone on record saying it's still lower than real-life pain levels, it must be pretty damn high.

Tenumi

Banned
The Devil is a Part Timer!: 10 & 11

Humor followed by some serious plot. This is going places fast, and the last two episodes are going to be pretty interesting. Poor Chiho, sometimes even the most obvious of flirting maneuvers can't get through some guy's thick skulls...

Well guys, could this possibly be Kishi's next victim?

Also started watching both Snafu and Henneko, SoL has been decent this season. Of course Free! will trump them all come next month.

I remember seeing that and I think the whole anime adaptation news on the manga's slip/flimsy piece of paper that usually tear, is more for Devil Survivor 2.

You can see the 2's protag's face on it and probably the 2 is just literally off camera.

Blusby

I remember seeing that and I think the whole anime adaptation news on the manga's slip/flimsy piece of paper that usually tear, is more for Devil Survivor 2.

You can see the 2's protag's face on it and probably the 2 is just literally off camera.
Hoh, now that ya mention it I see it, hopefully DR will be the last we see of the brotha from the low BD sales both it and DS2:tA are bound to make.

Dresden

Because it has a strong opening followed up by dull stretches, or for some other reason?

Among other things. Technical triumph, great art, lots of hype. Let down once I started getting into it past the opening, which is otherwise detached from the main narrative. Every encounter so far has been:

1. enter area
  2. see conveniently placed cover
  3. kill random mooks around cover

Disappointingly lazy design. It's not so much the act of killing that disappoints me as much as the obvious artificiality of setting up these encounters.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Among other things. Technical triumph, great art, lots of hype. Let down once I started getting into it past the opening, which is otherwise detached from the main narrative. Every encounter so far has been:
  1. enter area

Disappointingly lazy design. It's not so much the act of killing that disappoints me as much as the obvious artificiality of setting up these encounters.

Citizen Kane, gentlemen.

Blusby

Valvrave ep. 11: Well Shoko seriously
annoyed me, it's wartime and she wants everyone to have a festival instead of preparing for the very possible chance of being attacked by the Space Nazis? I bet S1 will end at the Festival, there will be an invasion inside of Module 77, and a lot of people will die because Shoko was in charge and lived by YOLO.

Every encounter so far has been:

1. enter area

Sounds like Uncharted. It's too bad more shooters don't have the creativity in enemy encounters that Resident Evil 4 has.

Jex

annoyed me, it's wartime and she wants everyone to have a festival instead of preparing for the very possible chance of being attacked by the Space Nazis? I bet S1 will end at the Festival, there will be an invasion inside of Module 77, and a lot of people will die because Shoko was in charge and lived by YOLO.

Are you from the future, sir?

Ugh, I was hyped for a moment to finally see protag and AT-LOW animated, and if the anime would make a better choice for KT than I did. Id also want to see Shoji and Amane *Currently am on the 6th day.

Wrong. You can't feel pain in SAO (
or any games based on it, such as ALO
) on the standard settings. Here's a quick translation of the relevant sections in novel 4 from the scene you mentioned (Corvo, don't read this, it's way beyond where you're up to >.>)

First, at the standard settings, with the Pain Absorber set to Level 10, when Sugou stabs Kirito with his own sword:
The sensation of thick metal piercing through my body extinguished the fire that had been coursing through my nerves. It looked like the sword had gone right through the centre of my chest and buried itself deep in the floor below. There was no pain, but I was assailed by an intense, rough, unpleasant sensation.

Then with the Pain Absorber reduced to level 8:
Instantly, a flash of genuine pain, like a sharp drill digging into my body, raced up my spine.

We don't actually get to witness any of the levels between 8 and zero, but Sugou does give the following explanation:
"Ahahah...this is still just two notches up, you know. I'll gradually make it stronger and stronger, so look forward to that. I hear at Level 3 and below, there's a danger of shock symptoms remaining even after you log out."

And finally, when Kirito reduces the Pain Absorber level to zero to take care of Sugou, we have the following description:
Hearing the command to increase the simulation of pain to unlimited levels, a trace of agitation raced across the face of the Fairy King with his golden sword.

In other words, at the standard Pain Absorber setting, Level 10, all pain is completely eliminated. All you can feel is an "unpleasant sensation" (though it does get fairly intense when taking massive damage). And though they would never be used in normal gameplay, the Pain Absorber has settings all the way down to Level 0, at which point all limitations are removed, so pain is simulated to the same level as it would be felt in real life. (Thankfully, there don't seem to be any settings where pain would be multiplied beyond real-life levels, which would really be overkill...)

Incidentally, Accel World has a similar feature, but the standard settings are far nastier than in SAO, particularly considering this is a game where battles to the death are considered normal.
Even in standard battles, we sometimes see characters suffering from lingering pain after a battle is finished (most notably Rust Jigsaw after his battle with Blood Leopard, where she specifically aimed for that effect). In the Unlimited Field, pain levels are set to twice that of standard battles, so while the author has gone on record saying it's still lower than real-life pain levels, it must be pretty damn high.

I feel that we're not on the same page.

When i say "amplified" i was talking about what should be a common occurence.
Pain was stronger than normal during that moment.( your first example )

Then again you cannot say that they don't feel pain , but they do feel an unpleaseant sensation. They are feeling something and that was my original point, reduced or not , pain is still present especially if this was intense.

I must say sorry if my sentence implied that i was talking about a real life ( i now realise it was ) comparaison/situation. I was not.
Same when i said that they are feeling cold and heat. It's not at the same levels as real life but it's still stimulated in the game.

In conclusion :
Pain is stimulated to the players but not at the same levels as IRL.
Same with cold, heat and such.

darkside31337

Tomodachi wa Mahou

TOO BAD.

Shoko won. In multiple ways.

Not gonna lie, Saki sucks.

Dresden

Citizen Kane, gentlemen.

Rosebud, etc.

Sounds like Uncharted. It's too bad more shooters don't have the creativity in enemy encounters that Resident Evil 4 has.

I was disappointed considering the new focus on stealth and melee. There was room to improve, and they didn't take it.

Shoko may
have one the election.
Saki though, has
won the Haruto.

Shoko
will win the El Elf, which is a far greater prize than Haruto.

Hattori

Banned

1. enter area

So it's like Uncharted...damn game journalists *shakes fist*

Rayearth

Neo Member
It's the only course this show is to take boyo. It'd also be entertaining to
see the despair in Shoko's eyes as her carefree lifestyle brought ruin to those around her.

So if that were to happen,
there won't be any more high-school-life shenanigans in season two? I dunno if Sunrise is ready to go full serious business for an entire season...

I'm still hoping for something from Shoko that will cause the Dorrsians to go "wtf is this shit doing in my serious mecha anime" one more time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom