• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Valvrave 10

Just when I think this is getting tame and where is my train wre.....?! Dayum! It keeps on giving! I'm not sure whom wrote/writes the plot but man keep it going! Can it get any more depressing and WTF like?

Pirabear

Banned
Valvrave 10

8ADYE9F.jpg

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
You really think that a 16 year old kid could hack a game made by a genius programmer so intelligent that nobody in the entire world can find a way around his firewall scheme?

Don't be ridiculous. That'd never happen.

You win good sir.

Kurita

It's actually a really faithful representation of the games, but it still manages to have a story. A human girl comes to town, meets up with Nook, meets the villagers, etc. There's this plot about an election coming up, and something involving a message in a bottle, etc.

But overall, the main atmosphere of Animal Crossing is all there from what I've seen of it.

They should do an Animal Crossing anime similar to Polar Bear Café.

cnet128

Banned

POSSIBILITY!!!

Futari wa Precure Splash Star 1

Here we go again!

So I can certainly see why some people think this series is too similar to the first. Saki and Mai are practically clones of Nagisa and Honoka, and their respective mascots wouldn't look out of place next to Mipple and Mepple either. Oh, and the monsters of the week are called "Uzaina" now? Glad to see the trend of enemy-names-you-can't-take-seriously is still going strong. And it sounds like the big bad(?) is called Akudaikaan. That just makes me think of Tonosaman (the Steel Samurai from the Phoenix Wright series). His arch-nemesis is called Akudaikaan, too.

First reaction to the mascots: so you have a bird spirit and a flower spirit, and it's the flower spirit that's called "Flappy"? That certainly threw me for a second. Then I realised it must come from the start of the word "flower". So I guess the other one, Choppy, comes from "chou", the kanji for "bird"? That's so unintuitive. Especially since one word is English and the other is Japanese. Sigh. The mascots are cuter than Mepple and Mipple, so that's a plus. They've got nothing on Porun though. I miss Porun already.

As for the new Cures themselves, I'm not quite sure what to think of them yet. Saki plays softball, which is a massive step down from lacrosse (then again, what isn't?), and I don't think she's quite as cute as Nagisa (but really, who is?). Her family runs a bakery, though, so that's cool. Delicious cakes outrank takoyaki any day.

Mai, meanwhile, is something of an unknown quantity at this point. What do I know about her so far? Uhh...she's a transfer student. She has a big brother (and parents who are actually around, unlike Honoka). She met Saki briefly five years ago at a festival. That's...about it, really.

And then we have NEW TRANSFORMATION SEQUENCE, which is better than Max Heart's, at least (not a difficult accomplishment). I reserve judgement as to whether it's better than the one from the original series. Their finisher is pretty cool too I guess. More interesting is the fact that these two can actually use barriers and magic and stuff individually, so they've got Nagisa and Honoka beat in that regard. All those two could do on their own was punch and kick stuff.

Let's see, what else is there to comment on? Oh yes, the OP and ED! I like the OP already. It's not as classic/iconic as the OP from the original series and Max Heart, but it's nice and catchy. The ED, I'm not quite so sure about yet, but I like it more than the one that was used for practically all of Max Heart, at least.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing how this series goes!

Please tell me that has to be a joke post. I know people have problems using the word literally in the correct context but I mean, that has to be a joke.

Sono Hanabira sadly done at last until 9+10 appear. Final rankings:
Mai x Reo > Shizuku x Eris = Sara x Kaede > Yuuna x Nanami >>> Runa x Takako
Very good ranking

Blusby

Date a Live 1-11:
Well, this show is extraordinarily shitty. The first episode was God-awful but after that there was potential, with the hilarious Lost Love crew manning the controls of the ship, occasional bouts of genuinely funny moments, and Kurumi. The show though took itself way to seriously too often and I couldn't forgive how shitty it is, with the main regret being why is a character with such a nice design and is entertaining as Kurumi in such a horrible show? Her character is the greatest waste I have ever seen in any anime ever. I'm very disappointed. This show blew, one of the absolute worst things I have ever seen in my lifetime.

Theonik

Pink Noise 04: Body Jack
This was a pretty good 80s OVA for its scope.
There are many fanservice OVAs from the 80s obviously but I felt this was pretty good at establishing some likeable characters and sticking to its comedic premise throughout. Also
hot :SDBurton action.
Though being this is an OVA of this nature it does take some interesting decisions. I'd say it's worth looking at overall for a short laugh. These OVAs are completely stand alone so you can just jump in as it is.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 13

Ahahahahahaha, Li's group got stuck having to study the sloths. And the little shit actually believed the bullshit that kid was telling him about how amazing sloths are. These are the animals who if their babies fall to the ground, they're too lazy to go and get them so they just let them die. Well, Li actually did do something good this episode, so maybe I shouldn't be too hard on him. But I will, cause it's fun.

Sakura's group, on the other hand, got to study elephants, who are rad. The elephant there was such a bro. She saved him/her after Power threw him up in the air, and then he was all "Bro, you saved me, so I'm helpin' you beat this little shit in Tug O' War". Homies help homies.

Again, though, a field trip where the children didn't have chaperones. Is this a thing in Japan? It doesn't seem too wise to just let a bunch of fourth graders walk around a zoo unsupervised.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 2

Friendship get! In this episode, Saki and Mai decide to cement their friendship and start calling each other on a first-name basis. As I recall, it took like eight episodes for Nagisa and Honoka to do that. Good job, guys! You set a new record!

More random thoughts: Saki has a little sister, and the two of them seem to get on much better than Nagisa and Ryouta did. Imoutos are adorable and win, so this gets my seal of approval. Mai, as I mentioned already, has a big brother, who so far seems like even more of a Perfect Guy than Fuji-P was. Silly idealised male characters. I wonder if Saki will end up with a crush on him. Then it would be almost like my prediction from way back when that Fuji-P would turn out to be Honoka's brother finally came true!

Speaking of male characters, there's one in Saki's group of friends. He has Naruto's voice, so that's a little offputting. As for the rest of Saki's friends, they seem like a bit of a step down from Nagisa's. Like Nagisa, Saki also seems to have two main girl-friends. Rina's replacement is...a girl who looks like a clone of Rina except slightly more generic, so that follows the "lol reusing character designs" trend at least. But Shiho's replacement is some chubby girl who couldn't look more bland if she tried. Can I have Shiho back, please? She was awesome and adorable. You guys are boring.

On the BATTLE side of things, these new Precure seem more fun than the first generation already. They make their body parts glow and throw enemies around and do crazy massive jumps and stuff. It's all pretty dynamic and entertaining to watch.

Oh, and I might have to refer to Akudaikaan as The Lord of Lurking In A Shadowy Cave Looking Threatening. Or I might not. I haven't decided if it's catchy enough yet.

Friendship get! In this episode, Saki and Mai decide to cement their friendship and start calling each other on a first-name basis. As I recall, it took like eight episodes for Nagisa and Honoka to do that. Good job, guys! You set a new record!

More random thoughts: Saki has a little sister, and the two of them seem to get on much better than Nagisa and Ryouta did. Imoutos are adorable and win, so this gets my seal of approval. Mai, as I mentioned already, has a big brother, who so far seems like even more of a Perfect Guy than Fuji-P was. Silly idealised male characters. I wonder if Saki will end up with a crush on him. Then it would be almost like my prediction from way back when that Fuji-P would turn out to be Honoka's brother finally came true!

Speaking of male characters, there's one in Saki's group of friends. He has Naruto's voice, so that's a little offputting. As for the rest of Saki's friends, they seem like a bit of a step down from Nagisa's. Like Nagisa, Saki also seems to have two main girl-friends. Rina's replacement is...a girl who looks like a clone of Rina except slightly more generic, so that follows the "lol reusing character designs" trend at least. But Shiho's replacement is some chubby girl who couldn't look more bland if she tried. Can I have Shiho back, please? She was awesome and adorable. You guys are boring.

On the BATTLE side of things, these new Precure seem more fun than the first generation already. They make their body parts glow and throw enemies around and do crazy massive jumps and stuff. It's all pretty dynamic and entertaining to watch.

Oh, and I might have to refer to Akudaikaan as The Lord of Lurking In A Shadowy Cave Looking Threatening. Or I might not. I haven't decided if it's catchy enough yet.

Well her friends definitely didn't do well in the looks department so it was harder to get use to.

On the bright side, Splash Star does get better and become more of its own thing over time.

Ezalc

But she doesn't even have big breasts.

Well honestly the only competition she has on that from Nintendo would probably be Samus, so based on that I'd say they're pretty even. And from that, they have pretty big sized breasts if you were to compare them to real life ones that aren't fake. By anime standards they're minuscule though.

Tamerlane

Banned
Well honestly the only competition she has on that from Nintendo would probably be Samus, so based on that I'd say they're pretty even. And from that, they have pretty big sized breasts if you were to compare them to real life ones that aren't fake. By anime standards they're minuscule though.

hot 2d moe babes>fat 3d pig people and I have the doujins to prove it

Not all girls can be Eiken big.

lol

Thank god for that.

Yeah, I've just been seeing all this "fanart" lately where they are turning her into.......something unpleasant.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Splash Star 3

First sports episode of the new series! Meh softball. I really don't care for baseball-type sports, they're so uninteresting. But Saki's irrepressible positivity is fun to watch, at least.

I much prefer Mai's hobby, which is sketching things. She seems to be scarily good at it, as well. Her sketches of the team playing softball are so accurate, they can actually make out the differences in form and attitude between their practice the previous day and their performance in the real match (is that even possible?) Of course, this inspires them to play better and win the match. Nobody could possibly have seen that coming.

Narag

Pink Noise 04: Body Jack

This was a pretty good 80s OVA for its scope.
There are many fanservice OVAs from the 80s obviously but I felt this was pretty good at establishing some likeable characters and sticking to its comedic premise throughout. Also
hot :SDBurton action.
Though being this is an OVA of this nature it does take some interesting decisions. I'd say it's worth looking at overall for a short laugh. These OVAs are completely stand alone so you can just jump in as it is.

I had no idea it was one of a series. Virgin Hamada gets me everytime too. :lol

Theonik

I had no idea it was one of a series. Virgin Hamada gets me everytime too. :lol
I'm not sure if it's a series of OVAs as much as it was 4 OVAs by the same company released in succession. Not sure if they shared branding ala Cream Lemon either. Will try and see if I can track the rest of them to watch though. The list is:
Pink Noise OVA 1: Call Me Tonight (1986)
Pink Noise OVA 2: Campus Special Investigator Hikaruon (1987)
Pink Noise OVA 3: Evil Dragon War Chronicles 1 (1987)
Pink Noise OVA 4: Body Jack (1987)

There were other hilarious scenes I couldn't quite link too or couldn't fit in the text but yeah!
I was thinking linking the whole screenshot album but meh I like my posting privilages PM etc..

Metrotab

Banned
Majestic Prince - 10

URRRRRRRGH Someone get this Genki Girl out of this show already. Her tiring unfunny gags really break the flow of some scenes.

My love triangle suspicions seem to be correct. This will probably be a more entertaining facet of the plot than the actual war.

Now that I know the true motives of the aliens, I actually think of them as less evil. Cold and heartless? Sure, but it's not like humans haven't done the same thing for as long as we have civilization. In fact, it's a defining characteristic of it.

Syrinx

Cardcaptor Sakura 14

That school play sucked. First, it got a crucial detail wrong. The ball is a masked ball. Not just a regular ball. That's a pretty crucial part; otherwise, Cinderella's stepmother and stepsisters would have been all "Hey, the fuck you doing here, bitch? You're supposed to be home cooking our dinner!" And then it scraps the whole glass slipper thing, because he has to go around the kingdom to see who the slipper fits. This way, the prince would just walk up to the door and say, "Oh. It's you." Where's the drama in that?

Also, come on Toya. If you're going to go on stage dressed like a lady, fucking go all out and enjoy it. Get that "Fuck this shit" look off your face.

Okay that wasn't Yoko he was dancing with. For a minute I thought that was her, and when he rejected her I thought the implication was that he was into Yukito. But I guess he's into Yoko? Fuck it, I'm going to go with the Toya x Yukito pairing until shown otherwise. They're the two most popular girls in school, but don't have girlfriends, and they're total bros. That's enough for me.

Also, that wasn't very dramatic with Toya holding Yoko as Mist was rotting the stage thing. Their classmates were standing like "Oh noes, what do we do?!" Y'know, from the height she was hanging from, you guys could have easily let her down gently, and then let Toya down. It's not that hard to figure out.

In short, I give this school play 2/10 Citizen Kane Last of Us art things.

You have NO IDEA...

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Space Bros 62
uX4Wm1Hl.jpg

Moe-shiro is moe. I think she had more lines in this episode than in the typical UtaPri episode. lol

Anyhow, this episode and arc just shows the advantages of long form media as a storytelling device and that you don't actually need TWEEEEEEESTS to try to keep people interested in churning through 60+ episodes of anime or dozens of volumes of your manga if you can just tell a decent story and have decent characters by building on a decent premise. It's almost like a 90s family sitcom, where characters were allowed to grow (literally in the case of shows like Cosby or Roseanne) and you could try to tell a story that took place over many years.

The seeds for this particular story have been planted pretty much right at the beginning, and although they were a bit blunt about reminding you of that story this week - I don't blame them too much I guess - it's a lot better than other shows that try to trick you into buying into a particular story by manipulating you (aka, the beginning of a certain greatest video game ever made).

Perhaps my one criticism is that you can feel the manga chapter breaks, which just don't work for television. The "cliffhanger" for this episode feels like the third act break of any other 1 hour drama on "real" TV.

cajunator

Banned
Guess Wii Fit Trainer was an instant hit among certain types of artists.

Yes it would appear that she is quite Poplar.

[Chihayafuru 2] 23

TAICHI RULES ARATA DROOLS

Its only a cruel bone thrown at Taichi fans, Dont fall for the lies.

You won't when she divorces you in 10 years and takes all of your stuff with her.

Haha awesome :D
Xboxsupport on twitter was really trying to convince me they didnt suck earlier. It was cute.

Valvrave 10

This show seems to have entertainment potential. guess Ill check it out later.

But she doesn't even have big breasts.

She does now!

The bullet hell shmups?

Yesssss.

Shingeki no Kyojin 10-11

Pixis is the Fairy Pokemon that we all need, the voice of reason, the voice to make people less of a shitty character as well.

God damn it Eren, stop pushing Mikasa away.

GOD DAMN it Eren, stop pushing Mikasa away even more.

GOD DAMN IT EREN, WHAT THE FUCK
Thanks for punching Mikasa you awful person

Midonin

Muromi 11

Otohime's episodes feel different from the rest of the series. Her being a land dweller instead of a sea dweller now has certainly impacted her living situation, but not her pride. She still has room for partying, though. Also note that Levia can get around without having to use a skateboard on land.

Muromi 11

Otohime's episodes feel different from the rest of the series. Her being a land dweller instead of a sea dweller now has certainly impacted her living situation, but not her pride. She still has room for partying, though. Also note that Levia can get around without having to use a skateboard on land.

Nothing to do with your post dear, but WHERE IN THE HELL DID YOU GET THAT AVATAR? It's so hrnnnng.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom