• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Definitely Not Gao Gai Gar In Spite of Papillon 3
Revolutionary Girl Utena 3
Earlier you were worried about stepping on people's toes in your impressions of this, but I think you're doing just fine thus far. Remember, though, if something can be symbolic it usually is.

CorvoSol

Earlier you were worried about stepping on people's toes in your impressions of this, but I think you're doing just fine thus far. Remember, though, if something can be symbolic it usually is.

This is going to leave me like Jim Carrey seeing 23 everywhere in the movie 23.

sleepykyo

rKu7mzQ.jpg

Guess Wii Fit Trainer was an instant hit among certain types of artists.

Jex

Just a question, should I watch the Evangelion movies if I haven't watched the series? are they remakes or something else entirely?

To clarify, the Evangelion franchise looks like this:

Original Continuity (1995 - 1997)

Neon Genesis Evangelion (1995) - A 26 episode television series.

Neon Genesis Evangelion: Death & Rebirth (1997) - Two movies, the first of which is just a re-edit of the TV series and the second of which contains new material which would eventually make it's way into the real finale. It's been effectively replaced by The End of Evangelion.

The End of Evangelion (1997) - A new movie which re-tells the ending to the original series.

Rebuild Movie Series Continuity (2007 - ?)

Rebuild of Evangelion 1.0, Rebuild of Evangelion 2.0 and Rebuild of Evangelion 3.0 are all part of a new continuity which is based on the original series but with major differences.

I would recommend watching the original TV series and the End of Evangelion before even considering the much newer Rebuild films.

CorvoSol

Well, for example, the choice of lyrics for the second duel is because Saionji is old fashioned.

Okay, I guess I can see what being old fashioned has to do with the Cretaceous Period, but only because anime has driven me to the point of seeing a relationship here.

wonzo

Banned
Photo Kano 11

photokano11.jpg

why

A shame that Stealth Girl isn't getting an episode of her own. Maybe she'll get an OVA if we're lucky.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Honestly, i thought Valvrave 10 was quite boring, despite everything. I had more fun reading the reactions to the episode than the episode itself.
I am actually disturbed by how many people seem to have enjoyed the episode...
Definitely Not Gao Gai Gar In Spite of Papillon 3
Revolutionary Girl Utena 3

So uh, if Utena is engaged to this mysterious Prince, can she really also be engaged to Papillon? Also, Utena's declaration that she is a "totally normal girl" who wants a "totally normal boy" is just about as "Methinks the lady doth protest too much" as it gets.
Seriously? :/
Utena wore her uniform with shoulder pads underneath her dress without shoulders. How is that even physically possible? Nevermind she can turn tablecloth into a form fitting dress. You know who else can turn a length of cloth into a form fitting night dress?
Ikuhara lol. This episode is the most shoujo in the entire show.

Theonik

Mars of Destruction
The audio design was fucking hilarious wargh wah pew pew pew. Also dat random classical music.
Was not really that funny though. Was disappointed at the lack of cute girls getting killed you were hyping up. That GIF was all we got. Lame.
I like how the doctor is all like "This one's completely gone" when they evaporated her fucking head. No shit? I like how the intro babble goes into such length too to explain the crash but never mentions the ancients and the war on land before we see them other than "Weird phenomena in Japan." I also like how the super dude explodes in the end for no reason in Super Sentai Villain fashion.
LMAO at "WE INVADED EARTH?! and "HUMANITY CAME FROM JAPAN?!"
Yeah Mars of Destruction. Pretty much an edge case when it comes to list material.

Theonik

Unfortunately it seems to fall flat on everyone but us, wonzo. :/
No, I mean it was funny, it was stupid. But it bordered on the just bad more than on the hilarious bad. It's pretty delicate. More so than other list material.
And it doesn't feel like there is much escalation to it either. You get all the 'list' stuff in the first 3 minutes pretty much.

No, I mean it was funny, it was stupid. But it bordered on the just bad more than on the hilarious bad. It's pretty delicate. More so than other list material.
And it doesn't feel like there is much escalation to it either. You get all the 'list' stuff in the first 3 minutes pretty much.

The "twist" and the reaction to it was one of the best parts. And it's only 20 minutes long, so even if it were frontloaded, I don't think it's enough to keep it off the list.

Kenya Boy

Well, this is something that could be pretty offensive if one were to take it seriously.
But despite (and often because of) all the troublesome racism, nationalism, and awful stereotypes, it's pretty damn funny. I lost it at the
jumping scene about 25 minutes in.
I'm not sure there are enough moments to justify spending an 1:40 watching it, but I can see why it made the list

Kingdom 2 - Episode 1
tumblr_mofpuexYTj1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Good to have it continuing on again, after last seasons ending, was ready for much more and to see if he could truly become a great general. Diao at the strategy school seemed odd considering Li Mu and what not unless the strategy school is neutral and for all nations? Otherwise for everyone else, lots of open places for plot on many fronts great and small, am rather interested to see how Zhao and Qin's affairs will go with Li Mu as well as internally with Lu Buwei.

Kind of really like the OP Glory Days and the ED, 21, The Sketchbook doesnt sound bad at all. Background OST music seems like it got a huge quality upgrade, at least the song at the start of the episode.

Theonik

Kenya Boy

Well, this is something that could be pretty offensive if one were to take it seriously.
But despite (and often because of) all the troublesome racism, nationalism, and awful stereotypes, it's pretty damn funny. I lost it at the
jumping scene about 25 minutes in.
I'm not sure there are enough moments to justify spending an 1:40 watching it, but I can see why it made the list
iJrn9zn8nFz3x.png

Let's...let's just get this over with already. I need this show to be over.

Clannad: After Story 22 END

So...
is the story starting over? Gonna go down a different route? Talk about a VN adaption.

Wait a sec so?
The girl is Ushio's counterpart and the junkboy is Tomoya's? WAT.

Wait what is going on right now

WAIT WHAT HOLD THE FUCK UP

Y'all writers got some serious explaining to do. Like,
so what was the point of the last 6 episodes? Nothing other than "Shitting on your heart is job number one?" and then going oops, never mind? SMFH. SMFH so fucking hard.

well, at least we got them happy feels finally :) BUt I feel like this episode was
basically the writers going "Shit. We're gonna get so fired if we end this series sad. Yeah forget those last six episodes and all the bad feels, and the fact that a sad end would've matched the tone of the series. Gotta be happy!

--

So apparently there's one more extra episode, a summary episode, and the two OVAs? Okay then.

I warned you to drop it at 20. Should've listened. Ruined the entire feel of the show.

Ugh, I feel like I should buy Animal Crossing New Leaf or something.

Seeing that game reminds me of that Animal Crossing anime movie based off of Wild World. Someone was making a fan dub of it on Youtube, and it was surprisingly very well done. But like many other fan dubs, he stopped updating it and it was left in the dust. A real shame on that.

What's AnimeGAF's general opinion on the movie? I only watched the first half of that fan dub.

Jex

Mars of Destruction

The audio design was fucking hilarious wargh wah pew pew pew. Also dat random classical music.
Was not really that funny though. Was disappointed at the lack of cute girls getting killed you were hyping up. That GIF was all we got. Lame.
I like how the doctor is all like "This one's completely gone" when they evaporated her fucking head. No shit? I like how the intro babble goes into such length too to explain the crash but never mentions the ancients and the war on land before we see them other than "Weird phenomena in Japan." I also like how the super dude explodes in the end for no reason in Super Sentai Villain fashion.
LMAO at "WE INVADED EARTH?! and "HUMANITY CAME FROM JAPAN?!"
Yeah Mars of Destruction. Pretty much an edge case when it comes to list material.

I tired to warn you man.

Kingdom 2 1

Take away the bad CG (or relegate it to the background), significantly increase both the quantity and quality of the traditional animation and what you end up with is something that's actually pretty fun to watch. The first episode of this second season to the rather infamous Kingdom starts things off with a one-year timeskip and spends most of its time reintroducing old (and some new) characters and flashing back to major events towards the end of the series but that didn't stop it from setting up for some serious shit to go down in the coming eps. I actually found it funny that a lot of the flashbacks were either completely reanimated or had tradition animation superimposed over the CG making it look much better than I remembered. I wonder if they made any of these changes for the home releases (well, if there was any to begin with).

The OP & ED songs are pretty bad though the OP had some decent bits of animation in it. Can't say the same for the ED however as that was mostly full of panning still and the odd shots of war flags fluttering.

Genuinely looking forward to the next episode and I'll have to check out the manga to see if there was anything not covered in the timeskip.

Now that I have your report, I can comfortably join you in this season of Kingdom. Glad the issues of the first season have been mostly straightened out. Since there's a timeskip and reintroduction, I assume I won't be terribly lost story-wise if I jump straight in here?

I really wonder why they decided to use CG in Kingdom.
What the hell were they thinking?

They were probably thinking similarly to Studio 4C when it made the new Berserk movies, that CG would be an easier and less costly way to animate the amount of big battles between large armies in the story. The problem was that they didn't have skilled enough CG animators to be able to pull that off.

wonzo

Banned
Tenkuu Danzato Skelter Heaven
It's not often you see such incredible depths of sheer incompetence across so many levels of a production come together to form something so amazingly shitty and incomprehensible you can't help but enjoy it, but leave it to Idea FactoryIDEA FUCK (Mars of Destruction, a bunch of shity games) to yet again pull off such an insurmountable feet.

In closing:
ibjyfo95KagOH7.gif

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus

Seeing that game reminds me of that Animal Crossing anime movie based off of Wild World. Someone was making a fan dub of it on Youtube, and it was surprisingly very well done. But like many other fan dubs, he stopped updating it and it was left in the dust. A real shame on that.

What's AnimeGAF's general opinion on the movie? I only watched the first half of that fan dub.
I didn't even know there was an Animal Crossing movie. What's the plot, taking on odd jobs to repay Nook before the protagonist's kneecaps get busted?

I didn't even know there was an Animal Crossing movie. What's the plot, taking on odd jobs to repay Nook before the protagonist's kneecaps?

ANN said:
Ai is a self-reliant girl that moves to Animal Village. She makes friends with the various villagers as she settles into the village. One night as she walked along the beach, she finds a message in the bottle. It sets her off on a quest of planting pine trees around the village to fulfill a miracle on the eve of the Winter Festival.

I didn't even know there was an Animal Crossing movie. What's the plot, taking on odd jobs to repay Nook before the protagonist's kneecaps?

It's actually a really faithful representation of the games, but it still manages to have a story. A human girl comes to town, meets up with Nook, meets the villagers, etc. There's this plot about an election coming up, and something involving a message in a bottle, etc.

But overall, the main atmosphere of Animal Crossing is all there from what I've seen of it.

wonzo

Banned
Now that I have your report, I can comfortably join you in this season of Kingdom. Glad the issues of the first season have been mostly straightened out. Since there's a timeskip and reintroduction, I assume I won't be terribly lost story-wise if I jump straight in here?
Depends on whether or not they'll do a good job of touching upon but what happened in the first season but it might be wise to check out the manga for that as afaik, most of the stuff that happened in the first season has been translated.

You might wanna check out episode 23 as that really fleshes out the backstory of one of the major characters and pretty much acts as a standalone thing. It also has no CG whatsoever and actually looks pretty good for the most part.

One would skip over 16 volumes of content covered in s1 to join in at s2? Although they kinda reintroduce the characters here, I think without having seen the first season most of the significance of events even the first major arc or so and the big battles, alot is missed out on as well as the issues surrounding what seems to be a major antagonist of this season.

Depends on whether or not they'll do a good job of touching upon but what happened in the first season but it might be wise to check out the manga for that as afaik, most of the stuff that happened in the first season has been translated.

You might wanna check out episode 23 as that really fleshes out the backstory of one of the major characters and pretty much acts as a standalone thing. It also has no CG whatsoever and actually looks pretty good for the most part.

Thanks. Do you know how many volumes of the manga the first season covered?

wonzo

Banned
Thanks. Do you know how many volumes of the manga the first season covered?
I know that it covers at least the first 13 volumes (maybe more) and I'm pretty sure the first 12 have been fully translated so far. The group doing it seems to be releasing them fairly quickly too so it won't be long until it catches up.

Theonik

Tenkuu Danzato Skelter Heaven

It's not often you see such incredible depths of sheer incompetence across so many levels of a production come together to form something so amazingly shitty and incomprehensible you can't help but enjoy it, but leave it to Idea FactoryIDEA FUCK (Mars of Destruction, a bunch of shity games) to yet again pull off such an insurmountable feet.

In closing:
http://i.minus.com/ibjyfo95KagOH7.gif
Art. Will watch. Hopefully it's better than Mars of Destruction.

Mr.Jeff

Look at her, just lording her thin privilege over us.

Please tell me that has to be a joke post. I know people have problems using the word literally in the correct context but I mean, that has to be a joke.

Sono Hanabira sadly done at last until 9+10 appear. Final rankings:
Mai x Reo > Shizuku x Eris = Sara x Kaede > Yuuna x Nanami >>> Runa x Takako

Chousoku Henkei Gyrozetter 26
tumblr_mofurg0tbL1qbxqfpo1_500.png

Didnt think that Saki was actually a spy, I thought Shunsuke had been totally wrong so when they go to that point and she pointed the gun, I was kind of mindblown for a moment. Then I thought maybe she is a double agent of sorts, but I guess not. Was odd when she still showed concern for Shunsuke later on...and does Goat-sama know the future?

Nice gyrozetter action even if brief. Judgement Blade is alright, but I just want to see if the chousoku gettai has a hi-ougi too.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Pretty Soldier Sailor Moon S] 122
I love the rivalry inside Witches 5. You had hints at such unrest in the Black Moon clan, but they play it creepily enough here with all the
lusting for the Professor's cock I mean trying to become the next executive by KILLING YOUR COWORKERS IN NEFARIOUS WAYS.
Compelling stuff.
Okay, Ami can be cool at times. She's alright. Who knows, she might even pass Usagi in the Sailor rankings.
Moéfying nanomachines now?

Not Chibi-Usa. :( You jerks. No!
Hey guys, I got a couple of guest passes for CR. I always just let them expire, but I figured there might be someone interested in here.

Quote to reveal.
Oh btw thanks for these. Time to get caught up in my CR anime.

Tenumi

Banned

Its enjoyable in a group, I know that much. Thank goodness for that AnimalCrossingGAF watch of that movie...

Think I might watch the first Nanoha movie tomorrow. No guarantees, though.

cnet128

Banned
Futari wa Precure Max Heart The Movie 2: Yukizora no Tomodachi

Well, that was definitely more fun than the first movie.

Winter settings make everything better (this is a fact), so this movie, which featured snow, skiing, snow, snowboarding, snow, evil snowmen, snow, and more snow, could only really be a success. Even the main conflict was "warmth versus cold", with the enemies being a pair of creepy ice dudes who want to suck all the warmth out of the world by eliminating a newborn phoenix. How rude.

Where the first movie's story was somewhat lacking in emotional investment, basically amounting to "go to new world, recover stolen artifact from villain, the end", this movie had a much more satisfying story arc, centring around Honoka and Nagisa having a silly fight, falling out, and then making up over the course of the movie. Not exactly the most unique plotline ever, but it was nicely executed, complete with a Snow Queen-esque segment partway through where the villains corrupted the Cures' hearts with ice and made them fight each other.

The villains, being a duo themselves, also formed a parallel with the Cures, outmatching them towards the beginning of the movie when the Cures were still in falling-out mode, but ultimately falling out themselves towards the end and losing to the Cures' superior POWER OF FRIENDSHIP.

Also there was a sub-plot about Nagisa learning to snowboard. A little contrived, perhaps, that the POWER OF SNOWBOARDING would just happen to prove invaluable in the final scene (and I have no idea how the Cures managed to snowboard using a block of ice - you'd think they would slip straight off...) but the tried-and-tested cycle of failing embarrassingly at first, only to have a revelation when it mattered the most and finally master the skill, was certainly satisfying.

Hikari was amusingly useless in battle in this movie. I think the only actual attack she used was a quick HEARTIEL ACTION against the snowman Zakenna right at the start. (That was a pretty nice Zakenna battle, incidentally.) She then spent most of the rest of the movie just running away from the bad guys. Her powers as Queen did prove pivotal after the villains were defeated, though, to revive the dying phoenix and restore warmth to the world, so I guess there's that.

Oh, and the Cures' endgame power-up this time, while reminiscent of the first movie's in that it allowed them to fly, was clearly superior because it wasn't just a lazy palette-swap. They had, like, longer and shinier hair, and feathery bits on their costumes and stuff. Come to think of it, I seem to recall hearing that one of the Cures in Splash Star is bird-themed. Birds are pretty cool.

So yeah, a fun movie overall. My only regret is that even though the Cures and friends were all staying at a hot spring resort, the only character we got to actually see in the hot springs was Fuji-P. CURSE YOU TOEI!

Space Brothers 62:
Oh god, if
Sharon dies
I'll be pissed. Please be a red herring.

Serika is still awesome. Her reactions to everything in this episode were adorable.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
[Space Brothers] 62

It's one thing to have
Aunt Sharon suffer some tragedy out of the blue. It's another one to have it be because of some fucking superstitious premonition bullshit.
I hope this is just a false lead. :/

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom