• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 l OT One l All roads lead to this

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let's...let's just get this over with already. I need this show to be over.

Clannad: After Story 22 END

So...
is the story starting over? Gonna go down a different route? Talk about a VN adaption.

Wait a sec so?
The girl is Ushio's counterpart and the junkboy is Tomoya's? WAT.

Wait what is going on right now

WAIT WHAT HOLD THE FUCK UP

Y'all writers got some serious explaining to do. Like,
so what was the point of the last 6 episodes? Nothing other than "Shitting on your heart is job number one?" and then going oops, never mind? SMFH. SMFH so fucking hard.

well, at least we got them happy feels finally :) BUt I feel like this episode was
basically the writers going "Shit. We're gonna get so fired if we end this series sad. Yeah forget those last six episodes and all the bad feels, and the fact that a sad end would've matched the tone of the series. Gotta be happy!

--

So apparently there's one more extra episode, a summary episode, and the two OVAs? Okay then.

All right, let me explain things for you.

You know those lights you saw every time someone had a really happy moment? Well those grant wishes. The only reason they didn't work when Nagisa initially died was because Tomoya was focusing on the fact that he never should have met Nagisa in the first place.

The point of those last 6 episodes were for Tomoya to learn that he should not have regretted all that time he spent with Nagisa. After her death, he regretted everything and went into a full-on depression and neglected his daughter. When he realized it was a mistake and Ushio died, THEN he realized the value of his time with Nagisa and made his wish for her to come back.

The tone of the series was about miracles. The miracle that happened to Tomoya was a result of all those things he did in the past with his friends to give them happiness. So in that retrospect, you could say they were going for a karmic moral (do good things and good things happen to you).

You can call it bullshit if you want, but they did foreshadow that, and face it, you honestly wanted that ending. :)

Tales from Earthsea

So finally got around to watching this. Ehh, it was alright. It was like the equivalent of Brave from Pixar to me -- it was "okay", and medieval-ish story stuff. The bad guy wasn't... nearly as menacing than the worst of Ghibli villains, and he didn't really have that "morally ambiguous" element to him that is a major factor of the other villains in Ghibli movies. Was pretty straightforward. If I had to sum this movie up in one word, inoffensive.

Tales from Earthsea receives a score of
1.1 Sword Art Onlines
or
0.3 Castle in the Skys

cajunator

Banned
Tales it? Ive tried three times but I just cant make it.
rom Earthsea

So finally got around to watching this. Ehh, it was alright. It was like the equivalent of Brave from Pixar to me -- it was "okay", and medieval-ish story stuff. The bad guy wasn't... nearly as menacing than the worst of Ghibli villains, and he didn't really have that "morally ambiguous" element to him that is a major factor of the other villains in Ghibli movies. Was pretty straightforward. If I had to sum this movie up in one word, inoffensive.

1.1 Sword Art Onlines
or
0.3 Castle in the Skys

You actually stayed awake and finished it?
Ive tried three times to make it through and just cant do it.

Branduil

Tales from Earthsea

1.1 Sword Art Onlines
or
0.3 Castle in the Skys

Did you like the part where
the protagonist murdered his father, the king, who was loved by everybody, for no apparent reason
?

hint hint

You actually stayed awake and finished it?
Ive tried three times to make it through and just cant do it.

Incidentally, this was my fourth time attempting to watch it. The only reason I finished it is because my roommates came in and were interested. hahaha

Did you like the part where
the protagonist murdered his father, the king, who was loved by everybody, for no apparent reason
?

hint hint

lol I was kinda not watching during that part, I only found out reading on Wikipedia after the movie haha

Jintor

It's a really long movie that doesn't really go anywhere, too

I spent a lazy evening a few months back with it on in the background while I was fiddling around with something else.

RailGun S - 10

The conclusion of this part was quite good.

Railgun vs Meltdowner YEEAAAH

Still we Won't haveone untill a long time but i sure hope one day we'll have More LEVEL 5 fights.

survivor

Banned
Clannad 9

iD1YNk0Sdu3tG.gif

10/10 for Fuko's character arc, if only that cheesy insert song wasn't there.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
All right, let me explain things for you.

You know those lights you saw every time someone had a really happy moment? Well those grant wishes. The only reason they didn't work when Nagisa initially died was because Tomoya was focusing on the fact that he never should have met Nagisa in the first place.

The point of those last 6 episodes were for Tomoya to learn that he should not have regretted all that time he spent with Nagisa. After her death, he regretted everything and went into a full-on depression and neglected his daughter. When he realized it was a mistake and Ushio died, THEN he realized the value of his time with Nagisa and made his wish for her to come back.

The tone of the series was about miracles. The miracle that happened to Tomoya was a result of all those things he did in the past with his friends to give them happiness. So in that retrospect, you could say they were going for a karmic moral (do good things and good things happen to you).

You can call it bullshit if you want, but they did foreshadow that, and face it, you honestly wanted that ending. :)

Naw, actually, what you wrote out and explained, I came to the same conclusions and, more or less, the same thoughts a little while ago, thinking about the show while went out. It's not so much a bullshit move to me anymore. The show does a good job on focusing on Tomoya's mistake and foreshadowing events, but I think it has a hard time pushing the
miracle and wishes
angle and the
lights
when neither show up nearly as much as they need to, imo, to really sell that point. It makes sense why they did it now (watching the summary episode helped me piece it together about the wishes actually), but the shift was just a little...how do I want to put this? At the time, not foreshadowed or reinforeced enough for me to know what was exactly going on in that moment, but in hindsight and thought it makes sense.

Now the question remains, it's the ending I wanted, but was it the ending I deserved?

Valvrave - 10
God damn, this show is crazy.

Shoko won.
Bravo!

Hataraku Maou-sama - 10
Pool episode? Check. Breast size jokes? Check. It was an okay episode.

Hataraku Maou-sama - 11
The Suzuno flashbacks and the fights in the second half made me want to fall alseep.

Suisei no Gargantia - 9-10
Gargantia has transitioned quite nicely into more dramatic territory with the past three episodes. Despite being a bit info dump heavy at times, I've really enjoyed them.

Railgun 10

Now that they've caught up to the Index part of the sister's arc, I wonder how much material they will repeat. Are they going to
reanimate that fight against Accelerator?

Taruranto

Honestly, i thought Valvrave 10 was quite boring, despite everything. I had more fun reading the reactions to the episode than the episode itself.

CorvoSol

Mobile Suit ZZ Gundam 46

GUYS GUYS GUESS WHAT. On an episode of a UC Gundam show that was above episode 40, SOMEONE DIED. It was
Glemy Toto. Roux Louka killed him.
But more importantly,
the Zeta Gundam and Mk II were blown up.

AND SAYLA WAS IN THIS EPISODE WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
So here we go, the last ones. Some nice short, concentrated doses of feels, hopefully.

Clannad 24 BONUS - Another World: Tomoyo

That's a very quick way to show we're in an alternate reality from the original timeline.
I initially thought with the waking up scene that this was just picking up from roughly that point in the series, but I guess Tomoyo has constantly been doing that.
But from what I understand
this takes place roughly round Clannad 18 & 19 but the days/episodes leading up to this were also probably different too. I'd imagine he still got suspended covering for her and all that, but obviously spent less time with Nagisa. The only thing that really makes sense is if basically none of the previous episodes happened as originally happened. Maybe Kotomi's arc, but probably not even that.

Weird hearing this OP again.

And that's a very hamfisted line to tell the viewers we're in a different reality.

They can even pack the feels into these small arcs too. Those train tracks are hella symbolic.

Damn, Tomoya
I know you're probably trying to hide your feelings and all just so you can get through it, but man that was ice cold.

Aha, I caught that little lookback-eye-dart, Tomoyo

Don't throw her away twice man.

There ya go son. Tightly packed feels, so good.

Clannad: After Story 25 BONUS - Another World: Kyou

Alright so where does this alternate reality branch from...okay, never mind, bigger issues at hand.
Ryou confessing in Kyou's Alternate Reality? And Tomoya (reluctantly) accepting? And Kyou looking disappointed? Oh boy. I have a feeling where this is going.

Okay man, I know
Kyou>>>Ryou
but that is a BAD idea.

Oh shit.

Oh wow, I've always been rooting for Youhei but wow.

We all know your choice man...but here we go, let's see what happens.
Is the threesome a route in the VN? :p

Damn.
Ryou was never close to my favorite girl or even close to Kyou, but she was still a decent character. Hard to watch Tomoya break either of their hearts.

Whoa that was a fucking surprise. Cute end though, pretty powerful.

Clannad & Clannad: After Story OVERALL IMPRESSIONS

So...where to begin? I'm not sure what else needs to be said that I, or someone else, in this thread hasn't already said.

I was never a fan of the character designs (bugeyed monstrosities and all)...but they grew on me. The English VA cast was, with a few exceptions, absolutely stellar. David Matranga and Luci Christian had amazing chemistry, hit near every emotional high and low perfectly, their voices were near perfect matches for each other, and carried a cast of already great performances. The animations was amazing, the music was almost always fantastically placed and really put just that much more emotional weight into the story.

And man, what a story. I'm having a hard time remembering any TV show or movie (anime or otherwise) that can carry that much emotional power and weight with ease. This could've been a very easy story to fuck up, and it really didn't. The show ran the gambit of emotions, played comedy better than some dedicated comedy shows, and just all around was fantastically written. I gave this series a 9/10 (for Clannad) and 10/10 (for Clannad: After Story) and they really deserve it. Stellar series.

EDIT: Oh and girl rankings: Nagisa>Tomoyo=Kyou>(Sanae>)Kotomi>Fuko>Ryou(>>>>Yukine>>>>>Mae)
--

Now my only question: Is the movie worth my time?

CorvoSol

Godannar 19

So we have incest, bdsm, lesbians, older man with his high school girlfriend, old guy and his token loli. I can't help but feel this show caters to every possible fetish OTHER than yaoi so far.

'S not much of an overarching plot in this show, though, and I'm kind of getting tired of two part episodes focusing on the relationships of the quirky side cast. To be honest I'm sort of getting bored of this show.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Godannar 19

So we have incest, bdsm, lesbians, older man with his high school girlfriend, old guy and his token loli. I can't help but feel this show caters to every possible fetish OTHER than yaoi so far.

'S not much of an overarching plot in this show, though, and I'm kind of getting tired of two part episodes focusing on the relationships of the quirky side cast. To be honest I'm sort of getting bored of this show.

This show is very anti-DTL.

Stick with it though. The last few episodes are really good and get focused back on Goh and Anna and up the plot stakes.

OceanBlue

Now my only question: Is the movie worth my time?

No. Not at all.

Yay at your Clannad/After Story impressions! I just got back and I was going to reply to your episode 18 impressions, but you had finished the series already! I think either 18 or 19 hit me the hardest, because I feel like it's a very relatable feeling. Glad to see that you enjoyed it.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
I haven't seen the Clannad movie but I remember reading that it was bad

No. Not at all.

I thought it was ok although admittedly I haven't touched the TV stuff yet. dat dezaki

Interesting. Maybe one day if I'm really bored, but noted.

Yay at your Clannad/After Story impressions! I just got back and I was going to reply to your episode 18 impressions, but you had finished the series already! I think either 18 or 19 hit me the hardest, because I feel like it's a very relatable feeling. Glad to see that you enjoyed it.

Sorry for going too fast! ^^; I got on a tear.

For me (as was evident by my replies) 16 and 18 and 21 hit me the hardest.

EDIT: Still kinda want Kotomi and Fuko "Another World" OVAs. I mean, they did get their own arcs in the series proper (more that Ryou/Kyou and Tomoyo) but still.

Quasar

Chihayafuru 23.

Excellent in one word. So cannot wait for the next episode.

And speaking of Chihayafuru, any ,manga readers here? I'm wondering if I was to jump to the manga after the finale next week what chapter/volume should I be buying?

It was supposed to get here by the 13th. Im a bit worried but I didnt pay a lot for her. shes one of the easier ones to get.

I'm less worried about you financially and more worried that this would have been a waste of time on your part. Let's hope it's just a little late.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom