• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2013 |OT -7| My Giant CG Pony Can't Possibly Read This Much Baudelaire

Status
Not open for further replies.

7Th

Anyone else think Rika is awesome

higurashi43ratx.png

higurashi3b6bku.png

higurashi220aia.png

beside being cute?

Guess you didn't, poor kids, see you in the next world!

Girls und Panzer episode 5

Last time, Ouarai went up against psuedo-Britain. I mean St. Gloriana.
And lost.

Today, Ouarai went up against psuedo-America. I mean Saunders University.

And the result?
No result. We got another episode ending mid battle. This episode merely served to end the wiretapping.

I like the fact that this anime is actually going somewhere. Ultimate tank or even just military otaku fanservice, indeed. I feel like I'm watching a sports match by this point. In fact I don't have too many tidbits to overanalyze or point out to much. Just a lot of pretty decent action. Every episode has outdone the last in this regard.

Oh yeah, I've got a comment. Anzu and Yukari are as awesome as ever.
That Yukari's a spy! That part was kinda cute. As well is her room.

Apparently there's an episode 5.5 after this instead of episode 6. So I'll be watching that. Though I have no idea why a 5.5 would exist here, of all places. Onward and upward.
It's a tank otaku's dream come true.
That it certainly is!

Milamber

And lost.

And the result?
No result. We got another episode ending mid battle. This episode merely served to end the wiretapping.

I like the fact that this anime is actually going somewhere. Ultimate tank or even just military otaku fanservice, indeed. I feel like I'm watching a sports match by this point. In fact I don't have too many tidbits to overanalyze or point out to much. Just a lot of pretty decent action. Every episode has outdone the last in this regard.

Apparently there's an episode 5.5 after this instead of episode 6. So I'll be watching that. Though I have no idea why a 5.5 would exist here, of all places. Onward and upward.
The pacing of this anime is great. It's always moving because they decided to do the typical schoolgirl tropes in the OVA's instead and focused the entire TV episodes on the main plot.

And lost.

And the result?

That it certainly is!

You can skip 5.5 without missing much of anything; it's a recap episode with almost nothing new in it. 10.5's a decently good episode, but 5.5, not so much.

Unless you completely forgot what happened in the past episodes, you can skip 5.5. It's a recap episode.

Theonik

5.5 was because they had issues with keeping up with the schedule. It's basically re-edited footage from the last eps with some explanation over it but can be missed. 10.5 is similar but it explains stuff like the rules of the game and what safety precautions are in place etc. You can skip that too, but 10.5 is probably worth watching.

Mature

It's possible. It's one of those cases where I only vaguely recall the manga version, so maybe it does work better in the anime. (Or maybe it's just because I last read the manga version about 7 years ago, and a lot of stuff blurs together when you marathon a 600 chapter manga)

That's part of why I'm enjoying going through the anime and remembering a lot of this stuff that I hadn't read in all that time. (Until I hit a string of filler episodes and just start getting frustrated and counting down until Akai shows up)
I'm glad to see you're man enough to muscle through the filler and not cherry pick manga episodes. A true Detective Bronan (sorry). I happen to think there's quite a few enjoyable AOs. My only reservation with them is that, because they obviously can't do anything special with the story or characters, the people writing them tend to fall back on really easy tropes established in the actual core plot. This starts saturating a specific character trait and perhaps make's a character out to be something that I don't think Gosho Aoyama really intended. All this to say that the AOs just make Kogoro out to be a constant idiot. =(

Rayearth

Neo Member
5.5 was because they had issues with keeping up with the schedule. It's basically re-edited footage from the last eps with some explanation over it but can be missed. 10.5 is similar but it explains stuff like the rules of the game and what safety precautions are in place etc. You can skip that too, but 10.5 is probably worth watching.

It makes me wonder if Actas will take a break for a bit before even considering a second season, due to how the first season's development schedule kicked their asses.

Zetsuen no Tempest 24

Well the action was good. The story was a mess but awesome, so an awesome mess but at least the characters weren't bad. Not much else to say.

At least Hakaze got her happy ending.

CorvoSol

Gundam 00 S2 9

So it wasn't that bad of an episode. I mean, it was a bad episode, but not as bad as cross-dressing, gender-bending madness that last episode was. It should've been a naval battle episode, but instead we had a fleeing ship thing, Mr. Bushido looking straight up ridiculous in his outfit, Ali Sanchez like, utterly failing to defeat the Gundams, and Setsuna suggesting that child soldiers in the middle east were used as suicide bombers in IRELAND.

I don't even on that last one.

This whole show must've come out like, right at the height of the Iraq war, because it's just so full of lame attempts at political commentary on that side. The Federation is Murica, the terrorists are turrorists, and the A-LAWs represent the evil murican soldiers and their trocities, and the Catheron are the good freedom fighters, and Celestial Being is the self-insert OC Mary Sue.

The unusual thing that came to my mind watching this, was that Setsuna, in spite of being from the Middle East, blended in just fine in Japan with Louise, who neither looked nor acted like she was really Spanish.

Full Metal Panic! 1

So I know I just watched this show back in November, but that was like, 3 OTs ago, so I don't feel bad including my impressions. As always the show is awesome and great, but this episode ends in a really surreal way, where the camera zooms into Mao's eye, and then into Sousuke's, and then switches to Kaname in bed. I dunno. The fanservice is pretty strong in these first few episodes. I mean, it's always there, even in TSR when we get creepy incest twins and naked Kaname in the rain, but the early episodes put an inordinate focus on the panty shots. After so much UC Gundam with its constant naked women, this no longer feels like as big a deal.

I know gauging Mecha sizes on what I see is a bad idea, but I still think the Arm Slaves in the show are approximately the heights of Gundams in UC. They can be loaded onto the backs of trucks, stand on top of buildings, but are taller than conifers. The pilot is usually about the size of the mecha's head. IIRC, the Arm Slaves in the show are approx. 15 to 20 meters, whereas in the LNs they're about half that size.

I kinda operate on SRW logic though, where the mecha are all the same height and that height is exactly as tall as I need them to be.

Gundam 00 S2 9

So it wasn't that bad of an episode. I mean, it was a bad episode, but not as bad as cross-dressing, gender-bending madness that last episode was. It should've been a naval battle episode, but instead we had a fleeing ship thing, Mr. Bushido looking straight up ridiculous in his outfit, Ali Sanchez like, utterly failing to defeat the Gundams, and Setsuna suggesting that child soldiers in the middle east were used as suicide bombers in IRELAND.

I don't even on that last one.

This whole show must've come out like, right at the height of the Iraq war, because it's just so full of lame attempts at political commentary on that side. The Federation is Murica, the terrorists are turrorists, and the A-LAWs represent the evil murican soldiers and their trocities, and the Catheron are the good freedom fighters, and Celestial Being is the self-insert OC Mary Sue.

The unusual thing that came to my mind watching this, was that Setsuna, in spite of being from the Middle East, blended in just fine in Japan with Louise, who neither looked nor acted like she was really Spanish.

Maybe in the future(00 isn't UC) Japan takes in immigrants from ME to combat population decline? I dunno :p

Theonik

Sailor Moon 22
Manga episode!
As far as I recall was pretty similar to the manga for this though they didn't emphasize the princess sans glasses gag like the manga did which was a wasted opportunity.
:Toei Quality aside it was an OK episode. I thought this looked a lot cooler than I probably should have. Sailor Poppins was a nice touch too.

It makes me wonder if Actas will take a break for a bit before even considering a second season, due to how the first season's development schedule kicked their asses.
They are going to wait at least till the BD are all out before announcing anything and it will probaly be a couple of seasons till we actually get S2 so I would hope that by then it shouldn't be an issue.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Kotoura-san 12 -END-

Hm. Well, that did wrap everything up quite nicely, I suppose. Not bad, even if basically everything that happened at the end was completely predictable. Still, solid if not underwhelming ending. Looking forward to the inevitable OVA episode.

Also
Manabe's Kotoura x Moritani fantasy was HILARIOUS. :lol

CorvoSol

Nah. It's a typical "anime magic" almost every director uses where everyone is able to talk to each other in perfect Japanese, no matter what the nationality.

Language isn't the problem. I can believe that Setsuna would be trained and fluent in multiple languages. What I mean is, he's middle eastern, and nobody ever comments on it. He and Louise ought to stick out like sore thumbs in Saji's world, but they don't.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Puchimas! 64 -END-

Farewell, Puchimas. ;_; I'll miss your ridiculous adorableness.

Also, I just realized that this means that iM@S is completely over for the time being. =/ Hurry up, movie!

Hyouka 17:
Well, that was a fantastic episode. I love the way they wrapped everything together, and the way that things went back and forth between the two time periods worked very well. Poor Satoshi just can't seem to catch a break. Mayaka trying to console him briefly was a very nice and understated moment.

I also loved the way Mayaka's plot for the arc was resolved. That was a lovely scene with some really great dialogue, and some great passion from Mayaka. I loved the scene where she looks at the railing at the end.

The scene with Chitanda on the radio at the beginning was also pretty hilarious. I love how much energy they put into the scene. The actors were working their hearts out, and the animation injected so much life into a scene that could have easily been reduced down to two characters talking over the radio. That's one of the ways where this show is able to really shine. They go above and beyond in just about every department.

I'm glad to see you're man enough to muscle through the filler and not cherry pick manga episodes. A true Detective Bronan (sorry). I happen to think there's quite a few enjoyable AOs. My only reservation with them is that, because they obviously can't do anything special with the story or characters, the people writing them tend to fall back on really easy tropes established in the actual core plot. This starts saturating a specific character trait and perhaps make's a character out to be something that I don't think Gosho Aoyama really intended. All this to say that the AOs just make Kogoro out to be a constant idiot. =(

Yeah, I think this is a problem that a lot of filler/anime original content faces. Often times, characters become reduced to tropes, so you have Kogoro in the AO episodes being a complete idiot (whereas the canon version, while frequently comic relief and not the smartest character in the series, is at least a competent detective with occasional flashes of brilliance). Detective Boys filler episodes can sometimes be really dumb, too. I still remember that awful episode where they had to chase around birds because some bird had flown off with some evidence (god, how dumb was that?).

That said, there are some really nice AO episodes from time to time, and they do make it worthwhile to watch them. Conan has an advantage in that there's usually not much of an issue with putting in random filler episodes, due to how the plot is structured.

cajunator

Banned
Photo Kano seems to be a perfectly wholesome show...

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201303/28030947.html

It's interesting how many high-angle shots they have; it really adds to the creepy factor.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gudEttJlw3s

This is only tangentially related, but seeing the word "America" and "Sailor Moon" in the same paragraph made me think of the wonder that was the proposed American version of Sailor Moon.

Watch. Enjoy.

Oh I remember seeing this years ago. It would have singlehandedly destroyed the whole franchise in america. Although DiC tried very hard to do that anyway.

Girls und Panzer episode 5.5

Well, if there's anything I learned out of this recap, is it that the name of my second favourite character is Isobi Noriko.

The mysterious Hippopotamus team is every bit as awesome as I thought it was. Erwin is, as I thought, super into European culture and World War II. And have kind of a "nationalist" theme going on.

And my favourite on team Rabbit is Sakaguchi Karina.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
Zetsuen no Tempest END

Cool action scenes. Hanemura still blows. I came around to liking Nakamura, Tetsuo, and Samon at the end. Hakaze is stupid tsundere but is voiced by Sawashiro so w/e. Mahiro is pretty chill at the end. Yoshino is the best character. THE END.

Kagami

-- (*63) --- **,872 **,872 **1 School Days BD Box
Wish I could find some comparison screen shots for this.
I'm interested in getting it if it actually improves things, but I assume it was a digital SD show, and School Days wasn't exactly full of high-motion scenes that would benefit dramatically from better bitrate.

My sexuality is in a million pieces on the floor. Damn that picture, I'm still staring at it.

I'm just going to try to pick the pieces up now. Maybe if I can glue them together before bedtime I'll watch Girls und Panzer episode 6.

Damn that picture. Damn it to hell.

kayos90

Tragic victim of fan death
My sexuality is in a million pieces on the floor. Damn that picture, I'm still staring at it.

I'm just going to try to pick the pieces up now. Maybe if I can glue them together before bedtime I'll watch Girls und Panzer episode 6.

I can't tell if you're actually flipping out or this is just a created reaction.

cajunator

Banned

It just reminds me of summer and the fact I want cool weather to end and to go swimming again.

duckroll

Zetsuen no Tempest END

Cool action scenes. Hanemura still blows. I came around to liking Nakamura, Tetsuo, and Samon at the end. Hakaze is stupid tsundere but is voiced by Sawashiro so w/e. Mahiro is pretty chill at the end. Yoshino is the best character. THE END.

No, Aika is the best character. Trolling all the way to the end.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
Gintama fin

c3c7w33l.jpg

Sensei ni yororshiku ne

This has got to be one of my favourite jokes in the series. It's like they took the Jugen joke and then turned it in on itself by commenting on the ridiculousness of Gintama as a franchise. Only Gintama would have the balls to do this to itself, because very few shows would willfully undermine its entire premise for a gag. Good times!

But I also suppose this is the last we'll see of the gang for 2013. :(

Polar Bear Cafe fin
AE15THol.jpg

There's really not much to say, other than this is exactly how I picture Japanese cartoons being voiced, which is why I personally find Japanese tracks to be much more interesting to listen to than their American equivalents. It's harder of course, because if someone screws up, everyone's time is wasted, but it also means people can actually work off each other instead of off a director's suppositions.

I hope it comes back soon. They teased that Penguin reveal so hard. lol

Kotoura-san fin
You know, the wrap up just sort of happened because presumably they just wanted to end on a conclusive note (hint hint Pet Girl), so I'm fine with what happened. Thinking back on the whole season, it did really feel jdorama-ish... but maybe it was much more tolerable because I didn't have to suffer through the requisite poor Japanese television directing and idols overacting more than Sean Penn in all his roles combined. lol

The schizophrenic nature of the show is still kind of amusing - which in hindsight, is doubly hilarious considering the final arc of the series - and you know, this is one of those rare shows that I'm glad I checked out. Then again, if it's set in the "real world", I guess I'm obligated to give it a chance. :p

That's STILL going? lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom