• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Quasar

Surprised no one in mentioning Kabaneri as a show to watch from this season. It's been very solid and has highs as great as any of the other shows. I would even say this last episode was better than any other so far this season, maybe only tying with a Re:Zero or Kiznaiver episode.

Well I'm finding it OK. Certainly liked it more than AoT. But if I'm honest it being segregated off on a service I otherwise don't use means I watch it in chunks rather than week to week.

Or at least I blame it on that. Guess I'll see if its true when the next noitamina show comes along next season. Or maybe thats an excuse and its just that it being a shonen show has me not as enthusiastic.

It was a bit the same way with Kuromokuro. It being segregated off on Netflix Japan meant I have been watching in chunks rather than week to week.

Though these issues have not got in the way of watching Macross.

Studio BONES confirms the show will reach it's climax next week and will have two special announcement s during the panel on June 24th and in the final episode
https://m.reddit.com/r/BokuNoHeroAc...tudio_bones_confirms_the_show_will_reach_its/

pFKGQUQ.gif

Season 2 hype

Guess no season 2 hype yet
Its FAKE
The logical ruses never end

Busaiku

Since Gundam has the timeslot in the Fall, this probably means that they're continuing due to success, rather than a split cour.

Jintor

luluco s4 finale

god damnit this show's so fucking good. lalaco went from worst mum to best mum in a matter of seconds.

/edit oh yeah Luluco briefly dropping into the "Cross arms on the bridge of a space battlecruiser" moment was fucking astounding.

Ascheroth

Macross Delta #12

Mix of eeh and really? with a tiny bit of yay sprinkled around.
Was severely lacking some Walküre singing and mecha action because I don't give a shit about the political drama.
The conveniently timed 'higher ups might be even more shit then the enemies'-moment was *rolls eyes*.
Next episode should in theory make up for all that, so let's see.

Watch it being nothing at all.
Season 2 hyyype

Szadek

Re: Zero - Ep. 2
Alright, I resurrected it from my drop list, which s quite fitting give the subject matter of the series.
It was decent episode with a pretty good, but short fight scene.

Concrete Revolutio - Ep. 2-4
I'm still not sure about this one.
The best comparison I can think of so far is probably Kekkai Sensen, but with a more interesting art style.

Assassination Classroom - Ep. 6
I honestly only pick the show back up, because I was thought I would drop it for sure this.
That however wasn't the case. It's hard not to rood for these kids after seeing how unfairly the school treats them.

Shirobako - Ep. 4-6
Just like A Lie In April, this is a show that I really should watch way more often.
I'm sure I will finish it someday, but right now I don't have too much time.

Busaiku

I was referring to it.
I just mentioned Gundam, cause it's taking the slot.
Meaning the next season of My Hero Academia is probably next year.

Cornbread78

Re: Zero - Ep. 2
Alright, I resurrected it from my drop list, which s quite fitting give the subject matter of the series.
It was decent episode with a pretty good, but short fight scene..

Good choice. The show hasn't even hit it's stride yet..

Sansha Sanyou 11

Tsuji finally technically beat Futaba in a food eating contest and technically winning it the best kind of winning.

Eumi

Yeah, kind of bummed I missed this the first time round. It's pretty damn good. Looks like the cast grows quite big too so hopefully it'll stay fresh long enough to finish strong.

Cornbread78

Kyuur

man if you're enjoying Kabaneri then stay away from this thread, because the grand majority of us have gotten tired of it. Characters started out with promise but at some point or another shat the bed. Particularly Mumei. Everything else just turned a bit too 'anime original final arc' quality, which is funny considering this is anime original from the get-go anyways, with Biba.

I can understand Mumei (oniioniionii and naivety) but in what ways did any of the other characters shit the bed? None of the other characters haven't had any big shifts in personality or actions other than becoming accepting of Mumei/Ikoma as allies. Takumi and Yukina in particular have had some really nice moments in the past couple episodes with no changes to their character's consistency.

No idea what you mean by 'anime original final arc' quality as well. Typically those are higher quality than the source material they adapt. Unless you mean it feels rushed or disjointed from the previous story arcs, to which I would have to disagree.

I don't mind Joker Game being episodic; the problem is that it doesn't flesh out those episodic stories with any interesting thematic or character meat. Instead, it's just hollow mysteries which aren't even satisfying as mysteries because they're resolved through clumsy exposition dumps instead of naturally unfolding in a way that gives the viewer clues ahead of time. It's just a waste of the international World War II era setting.

Episodes 3/4/6/7 definitely failed here. The rest were more than adequate in providing necessary details for the viewer to accurately guess the 'solution'. It's definitely flawed but I wouldn't call it a waste!

John Blade

Just finish reading Service X Servant and man, what a fun and simple manga to read. I am now more interested in watching the anime version. Was wondering if the anime version modify anything from the manga or is it worth the watch. If I remember, it's from the same team who make Working!!. Man...I like this type of manga once a while.

Cornbread78

Nijiiro Days ep.18-21
jm48ynp.jpg

Hashiba-kun is trying so hard to land his girl man, but he just keeps getting the worst of luck. Watching these4 guys going through the ups and down of trying to get into and/or manage relationships is pretty fun with a good mix of comedy and feel good moments.

I'm seeing a lot of hype for ReWrite. Looks very Key-esque. Is that why people are raving about it, or is this supposed to be really good? It's in my "maybe" list, but online people keep raving about it.

Just finish reading Service X Servant and man, what a fun and simple manga to read. I am now more interested in watching the anime version. Was wondering if the anime version modify anything from the manga or is it worth the watch. If I remember, it's from the same team who make Working!!. Man...I like this type of manga once a while.
I can only comment on the anime, but while watching it I certainly got a 'Working!' vibe from it as I watched. It wasn't anything amazing but was an enjoyable watch and I enjoyed it quite a bit even moreso than Working!.

I'm seeing a lot of hype for ReWrite. Looks very Key-esque. Is that why people are raving about it, or is this supposed to be really good? It's in my "maybe" list, but online people keep raving about it.

It is an adaptation of a Key VN, which is probably why people are interested in it. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the VN is that it was co-written by Romeo Tanaka (Cross Channel, Humanity Has Declined) and Ryukishi07 (Higurashi, Umineko) (and a third Key staff writer). The anime has some good animators on it who look to be providing some good animation, although the base character designs are terrible. I'm not particularly interested in it, but if it ends up being worth watching I'm sure I'll hear about it.

It is an adaptation of a Key VN, which is probably why people are interested in it. Perhaps the most interesting thing about the VN is that it was co-written by Romeo Tanaka (Cross Channel, Humanity Has Declined) and Ryukishi07 (Higurashi, Umineko) (and a third Key staff writer). The anime has some good animators on it who look to be providing some good animation, although the base character designs are terrible. I'm not particularly interested in it, but if it ends up being worth watching I'm sure I'll hear about it.

So it has more going for it than it just being a Key thing. Interesting.

In sobering industry news, the animation studio Actas lost money on the Girls und Panzer film. Despite it being massively financially successful, Actas saw none of those profits due to not being on the production committee.

javac

Breaking the concept of anime and doing away with old conventions, these are the foundations which gave birth to Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. Released in 1987, debut of the legendary studio Gainax and the first foray into anime production for the Japanese toy giant Bandai, Royal Space Force has gone on to establish the way in which many anime series and films are created today, but almost 30 years ago a film such as this was thought of as inconceivable.
The Royal Space Force is a space program set on the fictional Kingdom of Honneamise which is where we meet the protagonist, Shirotsugh Lhadatt. Although the space program boasts a 30 year history it has yet to bear any fruits and has been rendered not only a joke among the people of Honneamise and a burden on the government itself. Even the cadets enrolled onto the space program itself have all but lost hope as they lounge around without purpose, drive or determination and as they do so the notion of getting anything into space at this point becomes ever more ludicrous. Furthermore, as an impending war looms over the nation the money being sunk into the Royal Space Force is seen as a waste of resources and causes upset among the people. Honneamise is a prosperous place, a kingdom amidst an industrial revolution but like many developing nations it’s clear that the distribution of wealth is uneven at best. It is here that Shirotsugh Lhadatt sees hope and optimism, among the people of Honneamise when he meets a young religious woman named Riquinni Nonderaiko and it is here where his destiny changes course.
Although the people behind The Wings of Honneamise are today seen as immensely talented individuals, at the time they were unknown quantities, amateurs fresh out of college and so the production of this now highly revered and respected film was seen as an impossible task because this wasn’t the way things operated back then, but this is far from the only breaking of old conventions. Many of the anime films from this period of time were not only based upon pre-existing properties, mainly compilations of TV series but also directed by people with extensive portfolios, factors that led credibility to the projects and instilled confidence into its investors. To create a wholly original film, to entrust eight hundred million Yen and launch your animation production initiative off the back of this unknown quantity is without a doubt a breaking of old ways. The parallels between the story of Wings of Honneamise and the team behind the film itself is evident, the unlikely tale of a group of geeks and nerds doing the impossible and defying all odds.
Animation since its inception has been a medium aimed at kids; however this was a notion that had been quickly diminishing in Japan. The potential to tell stories beyond talking anthropomorphic animals was becoming ever clearer. In fact this was a period in which the audience themselves were becoming the creators which led to the creation of works such as Wings of Honneamise. One of the greatest assets of animation is the freedom it affords its creators to construct wholly new and interesting worlds, worlds devoid of constrains of the real world. To create from nothingness and to construct a whole new world, with new methods of transport, clothes and languages, this is what anime affords its creators and Wings of Honneamise was created when this idea started to take hold, as the amateurs started to become the ones in charge, the ones that would go on to create the foundation for anime today.
It’s clear that many of these sentimentalities were instrumental to the later Gainax works such as Evangelion, creations that weren’t appealing to sponsors at the time and unorthodox in nature. There was a consensus within Gainax at the time that during their youth it would be more productive to create something strange and different, maybe even ugly because as they matured they would then be able to think more about balance. After all, their stay within the industry wasn’t guaranteed, they had no idea that they’d still be making anime decades later and so an all-out approach made more sense. It was a means of creating an identity for Gainax as well as an atmosphere that puts its creators first. It was stated for example by the director that his friend Hideaki Anno was great at animating explosions and so he decided that the climax of the film would feature them prominently in order to bring out the best of Anno’s abilities. Instead of the director creating a story that he liked and having everybody else make it for him, he thought about what stories the staff would want to make instead.
In fact at the time the biggest name on the production of Wings of Honneamise was Ryuichi Sakamoto. Although the YMO keyboard/vocalist was hired to compose the soundtrack, he wasn’t alone. Sakamoto ended up composing four themes and two other composers, Haruo Kubota and Yuji Nomi composed the rest. The idea behind this was to diversify the soundtrack of the film just like the visuals. Personally I found some pieces to work better than others, with some pieces actually diminishing the effect of the scene and feeling out of place. The music is definitely an acquired taste and works for some people more than others. The main theme by Sakamoto itself is fantastic however with many different renditions featured throughout the film with the ending credits version being the best.
There’s no denying that the Wings of Honneamise is a spectacle and a film of epic proportions and a lot of its most ambitious effects and set pieces are the work of Hideaki Anno. Adorned with the title Special Effects Artist, a title that was rare within animation at the time, Anno had the job of executing the animated equivalent of special effects that you’d see in live action film. It’s true that special effects are as much of a character as the characters that star in the films themselves and this isn’t a new phenomenon. People were flocking to the theaters just to see the set-pieces. There’s a weight to the mecha within Wings of Honneamise with a fanatic attention to detail that brings them to life with even attention being brought to the tiniest of details within the inner workings of the machines which adds credibility to the world and makes it more tangible. Being known for his depictions of explosions, a great deal of emphasis is placed upon them within the film. The explosions themselves are multi-layered, starting with shock-waves and then the flames themselves swelling up as shrapnel scatter. Different tones of orange are used to represent the different intensities and temperatures. To further the point, in a scene towards the end bits of ice fall down and each shard is animated by hand, with each one moving at its own speed with some twisting and turning as they fall. What this does is allow the animator to represent occurrences and phenomena that would otherwise be invisible to the viewer such as gravity and inertia. You could argue that up until this point most special effects utilised within anime was used as a means of depicting supernatural phenomena and battles but here it was used as a means of solidifying this world and making it feel as real as possible.
It’s abundantly clear the visuals have aged like fine wine and the story itself is as timeless as one can be, however I will note that a lot of the cuts and transitions from scene to scene are pretty odd and the whole film is marred with strange pacing issues. Likewise, a lot of the music choices are strange with some not fitting in with the scenes themselves at all. Was this another attempt of discarding old conventions and doing away with what is deemed acceptable, choosing to purposely create something weird and odd to stimulate the audience in a different manner? Maybe, and if that’s the case then the team succeeded. Director Hiroyuki Yamaga himself stated that the film in hindsight was uneven and unbalanced so I’m not the only one feeling this way. Nevertheless, the quirks do etch out a unique identity for this film and also one for Gainax, a studio that went against the grain for many years later and so it’s fitting, after all as Hiroyuki Yamaga mentioned the studio was blindly swinging around at the time with the idea of finishing the film itself being a huge question mark on the production.
It’s fair to say that I’ve avoided the elephant in the room, the controversial scene that takes place halfway into the film. I won’t go into specifics as a means to avoid spoilers but also due to the simple fact that I could easily dedicate a whole post to that scene alone in a much more nuanced fashion but I will mention that the scene is still a blight on an otherwise fantastic film, and not because of what happens in the scene and the subject matter at hand but rather because of how the film fails to follow up on that scene in any meaningful fashion thereafter. You can see their intentions but it just felt horribly out of place and I feel that the film overall doesn’t lose anything by removing that scene altogether, with many releases doing exactly that, although many would argue otherwise. One could argue that it intensifies the tragic nature of Riquinni’s character but that could have been done in other, less ham-fisted ways. Others may argue that the film follows a downhill trajectory after this scene that it never recovers from but I wouldn’t go that far, but I won’t deny that a bitter taste was left in my mouth throughout the remainder of the film. That’s not to say that I still don’t hold this film in high regards, but I honestly feel that the film is a stronger one without that scenes presence. There are many breakdowns of the scene, defenses and condemnations and so I implore you to read them for yourselves and make up your own mind. I do believe that the film has a stronger first half and that the second half is weaker outside of the final scene, with some weird tonal shifts here and there but the second half is not without merit.
Whatever stance you take on that scene, it’s hard to deny the legacy of this film and the impact that it has had on the animation industry. For all of its quirks and all of its abnormalities Honneamise managed to forge an identity that is unlike any other film, one that is enriched in history and shrouded by a fascinating production that ultimately paved the way for what would become a storied studio. Despite its shortcomings, The Royal Space Force is a must see spectacle, a film that glistens like the stars 30 years later.

8/10

The source material is actually pretty good (or at least the main story written by Romeo) unlike most Key shows. Whether the adaptation will be worthwhile is the issue. I'm skeptical that it will be adapted well.

Cornbread78

The source material is actually pretty good (or at least the main story written by Romeo) unlike most Key shows. Whether the adaptation will be worthwhile is the issue. I'm skeptical that it will be adapted well.

Well, also, Maeda is only doing the music for it, so hopefully, the pacing will not be a clusterfluck like Charlotte and Angel Beats,

Speaking of Summer season, I just noticed that the first show to air for the summer season is:

RS Keikaku: Rebirth Storage on 6/26
Fukigen na Mononokean on 6/28

Berzerk starts 7/1, then everything else basically starts on 7/2-3

Weekends are going to be VERY PACKED again...

Actually, it's not an adaptation. Not technically anyway.

The Rewrite TV anime is going to be about an untold 6th route. So it's anime original stuff.

John Blade

Breaking the concept of anime and doing away with old conventions, these are the foundations which gave birth to Royal Space Force: The Wings of Honneamise. Released in 1987, debut of the legendary studio Gainax and the first foray into anime production for the Japanese toy giant Bandai, Royal Space Force has gone on to establish the way in which many anime series and films are created today, but almost 30 years ago a film such as this was thought of as inconceivable.

The Royal Space Force is a space program set on the fictional Kingdom of Honneamise which is where we meet the protagonist, Shirotsugh Lhadatt. Although the space program boasts a 30 year history it has yet to bear any fruits and has been rendered not only a joke among the people of Honneamise and a burden on the government itself. Even the cadets enrolled onto the space program itself have all but lost hope as they lounge around without purpose, drive or determination and as they do so the notion of getting anything into space at this point becomes ever more ludicrous. Furthermore, as an impending war looms over the nation the money being sunk into the Royal Space Force is seen as a waste of resources and causes upset among the people. Honneamise is a prosperous place, a kingdom amidst an industrial revolution but like many developing nations it’s clear that the distribution of wealth is uneven at best. It is here that Shirotsugh Lhadatt sees hope and optimism, among the people of Honneamise when he meets a young religious woman named Riquinni Nonderaiko and it is here where his destiny changes course.

Although the people behind The Wings of Honneamise are today seen as immensely talented individuals, at the time they were unknown quantities, amateurs fresh out of college and so the production of this now highly revered and respected film was seen as an impossible task because this wasn’t the way things operated back then, but this is far from the only breaking of old conventions. Many of the anime films from this period of time were not only based upon pre-existing properties, mainly compilations of TV series but also directed by people with extensive portfolios, factors that led credibility to the projects and instilled confidence into its investors. To create a wholly original film, to entrust eight hundred million Yen and launch your animation production initiative off the back of this unknown quantity is without a doubt a breaking of old ways. The parallels between the story of Wings of Honneamise and the team behind the film itself is evident, the unlikely tale of a group of geeks and nerds doing the impossible and defying all odds.

Animation since its inception has been a medium aimed at kids; however this was a notion that had been quickly diminishing in Japan. The potential to tell stories beyond talking anthropomorphic animals was becoming ever clearer. In fact this was a period in which the audience themselves were becoming the creators which led to the creation of works such as Wings of Honneamise. One of the greatest assets of animation is the freedom it affords its creators to construct wholly new and interesting worlds, worlds devoid of constrains of the real world. To create from nothingness and to construct a whole new world, with new methods of transport, clothes and languages, this is what anime affords its creators and Wings of Honneamise was created when this idea started to take hold, as the amateurs started to become the ones in charge, the ones that would go on to create the foundation for anime today.

It’s clear that many of these sentimentalities were instrumental to the later Gainax works such as Evangelion, creations that weren’t appealing to sponsors at the time and unorthodox in nature. There was a consensus within Gainax at the time that during their youth it would be more productive to create something strange and different, maybe even ugly because as they matured they would then be able to think more about balance. After all, their stay within the industry wasn’t guaranteed, they had no idea that they’d still be making anime decades later and so an all-out approach made more sense. It was a means of creating an identity for Gainax as well as an atmosphere that puts its creators first. It was stated for example by the director that his friend Hideaki Anno was great at animating explosions and so he decided that the climax of the film would feature them prominently in order to bring out the best of Anno’s abilities. Instead of the director creating a story that he liked and having everybody else make it for him, he thought about what stories the staff would want to make instead.

In fact at the time the biggest name on the production of Wings of Honneamise was Ryuichi Sakamoto. Although the YMO keyboard/vocalist was hired to compose the soundtrack, he wasn’t alone. Sakamoto ended up composing four themes and two other composers, Haruo Kubota and Yuji Nomi composed the rest. The idea behind this was to diversify the soundtrack of the film just like the visuals. Personally I found some pieces to work better than others, with some pieces actually diminishing the effect of the scene and feeling out of place. The music is definitely an acquired taste and works for some people more than others. The main theme by Sakamoto itself is fantastic however with many different renditions featured throughout the film with the ending credits version being the best.

There’s no denying that the Wings of Honneamise is a spectacle and a film of epic proportions and a lot of its most ambitious effects and set pieces are the work of Hideaki Anno. Adorned with the title Special Effects Artist, a title that was rare within animation at the time, Anno had the job of executing the animated equivalent of special effects that you’d see in live action film. It’s true that special effects are as much of a character as the characters that star in the films themselves and this isn’t a new phenomenon. People were flocking to the theaters just to see the set-pieces. There’s a weight to the mecha within Wings of Honneamise with a fanatic attention to detail that brings them to life with even attention being brought to the tiniest of details within the inner workings of the machines which adds credibility to the world and makes it more tangible. Being known for his depictions of explosions, a great deal of emphasis is placed upon them within the film. The explosions themselves are multi-layered, starting with shock-waves and then the flames themselves swelling up as shrapnel scatter. Different tones of orange are used to represent the different intensities and temperatures. To further the point, in a scene towards the end bits of ice fall down and each shard is animated by hand, with each one moving at its own speed with some twisting and turning as they fall. What this does is allow the animator to represent occurrences and phenomena that would otherwise be invisible to the viewer such as gravity and inertia. You could argue that up until this point most special effects utilised within anime was used as a means of depicting supernatural phenomena and battles but here it was used as a means of solidifying this world and making it feel as real as possible.

It’s abundantly clear the visuals have aged like fine wine and the story itself is as timeless as one can be, however I will note that a lot of the cuts and transitions from scene to scene are pretty odd and the whole film is marred with strange pacing issues. Likewise, a lot of the music choices are strange with some not fitting in with the scenes themselves at all. Was this another attempt of discarding old conventions and doing away with what is deemed acceptable, choosing to purposely create something weird and odd to stimulate the audience in a different manner? Maybe, and if that’s the case then the team succeeded. Director Hiroyuki Yamaga himself stated that the film in hindsight was uneven and unbalanced so I’m not the only one feeling this way. Nevertheless, the quirks do etch out a unique identity for this film and also one for Gainax, a studio that went against the grain for many years later and so it’s fitting, after all as Hiroyuki Yamaga mentioned the studio was blindly swinging around at the time with the idea of finishing the film itself being a huge question mark on the production.

It’s fair to say that I’ve avoided the elephant in the room, the controversial scene that takes place halfway into the film. I won’t go into specifics as a means to avoid spoilers but also due to the simple fact that I could easily dedicate a whole post to that scene alone in a much more nuanced fashion but I will mention that the scene is still a blight on an otherwise fantastic film, and not because of what happens in the scene and the subject matter at hand but rather because of how the film fails to follow up on that scene in any meaningful fashion thereafter. You can see their intentions but it just felt horribly out of place and I feel that the film overall doesn’t lose anything by removing that scene altogether, with many releases doing exactly that, although many would argue otherwise. One could argue that it intensifies the tragic nature of Riquinni’s character but that could have been done in other, less ham-fisted ways. Others may argue that the film follows a downhill trajectory after this scene that it never recovers from but I wouldn’t go that far, but I won’t deny that a bitter taste was left in my mouth throughout the remainder of the film. That’s not to say that I still don’t hold this film in high regards, but I honestly feel that the film is a stronger one without that scenes presence. There are many breakdowns of the scene, defenses and condemnations and so I implore you to read them for yourselves and make up your own mind. I do believe that the film has a stronger first half and that the second half is weaker outside of the final scene, with some weird tonal shifts here and there but the second half is not without merit.

Whatever stance you take on that scene, it’s hard to deny the legacy of this film and the impact that it has had on the animation industry. For all of its quirks and all of its abnormalities Honneamise managed to forge an identity that is unlike any other film, one that is enriched in history and shrouded by a fascinating production that ultimately paved the way for what would become a storied studio. Despite its shortcomings, The Royal Space Force is a must see spectacle, a film that glistens like the stars 30 years later.

8/10

Always like to read your post of anime I am interested in or already watch it. A very detail discussion. Keep doing it when you have the chance as I don't really post much when I do a quick impression now (mostly because the anime I am currently watching isn't much to discuss about except it's stupid fun).

For the discussion of this movie, like to hear about it as I did watch it this year and like it for what it's trying to do. Still a good movie to watch even with the flaws. The infamous scene have become a big discussion as whether or not it should have been use in the movie. When saw it for the 1st time watching the movie, seeing this incident feel odd to be in the movie and make the main character more as someone who somehow want to use his new power (or the power of been famous) to try to hurt other people below him. This is what it kinda feel and you can notice this feeling a bit of when the main character who become very popular just don't really know how to use it. Kinda drop into the spotlight without even getting ready for it.

It kinda sad it didn't have a proper conclusion for the female character after the incident and how it show after it like it's her fault when in reality it isn't. Need try to remember here as is been months I watch the movie, but the ending is where you see the main character ask for forgiveness for what the human society did and also for the sin he did with the female character. A ending where he meet her one last time at the same place after he come down to earth and tell he is sorry for the incident will have some ending of this odd but powerful sad scene.

Overall, you like the movie which is great as it's still one of the nice movie I have watch for a while. Might be interesting to see what other show or movie of anime you're going to watch now.

JulianImp

Horou Musuko
It was an okay show, but I wish it could've been more than what it ended up as.

While the start of the show was appealing with it presenting Nitori and Takatsuki's non-standard sexual identities, I really felt like the show quickly devolved into the standard unrequited love triangle for most of its duration, only going back to the social issues of not identifying with one's biological sex in the final episodes. The character development always felt somewhat grounded in reality, and as a result I felt kind of underwhelmed by how wishy-washy everyone was, and how most characters bottled up their feelings and didn't do much about them. It always felt like characters were really close to major turning points in their way of approaching themselves and the rest of the cast, but there never was any big closure like we'd see in most fiction, where characters would finally muster up the courage to change/accept themselves and/or others.

The character relationships were always kind of painful to watch with all the one-sidedness. Anna showing up to put a stop to the love triangle was interesting, but still felt really bad because of how it was fairly obvious she didn't see Nitori as a real boyfriend (all while the other girl just couldn't let go off of having loved him before), and don't get me started on Doi being a complicated character with opaque intentions... it felt like he was just fooling around with Nitori, with his acceptance of transsexual males being interesting but still ultimately like 'well, he looks like a woman', so I was never sure whether I found him an appealing side character or little more than a token toxic friend who was there to undermine Nitori's character and add some more tension. I really liked how the latter's dad took him for a walk after he tried attending school as a girl and actually accepted his son's sexual identity, but I wish we'd have gotten more interactions between him and his parents after that event since that was some interesting territory that was sadly left mostly unexplored.

I'm kind of conflicted with this show... I keep feeling like I wanted closure, but at the same time feel like tying up every single plot thread by the end isn't something that should be universally desireable over presenting a show's themes and sticking with them. I simultaneously want closure (because yay human pattern-finding) and want to like the show as it was, and it's really interesting how I can't quite decide or put my thoughts into words as well as I wish I could.

Finally, I heard the anime stopped halfway through the manga, so I guess that does explain many things.

Syrinx

Tanaka-kun 1-4

I admit it's dumb of me to make this comparison since the shows are so different, but honestly I'm finding this show funnier, more relaxing, and just in general better than Flying Witch. I love the dynamic between Tanaka and Ohta.

*snip*

Good read, especially with the info concerning production.

I personally couldn't build up interest in the main character, his path and the story overall. I'm not completely sure why, as this kind of flawed character is someone I appreciate but most of his scenes, particularly the ones with Riquinni, felt too dull and drab to me. That 1-2 encounters with her would inspire him to have this major change of heart is kinda questionable, especially when all that holds up despite the continued struggles with this relation as well as his involvement with the space force. And yeh, the lack of proper followup to the
attempted rape
felt off. I didn't mid that they put that kind of scene in there to begin with and it could've been used to point out some more flawed thinking of Shirotsugh but instead they just kinda wash the issue aside.

There's much to the movie that I appreciated or could see being fond of but I was never invested and hence rather bored during most of it.

blurr

In sobering industry news, the animation studio Actas lost money on the Girls und Panzer film. Despite it being massively financially successful, Actas saw none of those profits due to not being on the production committee.

I saw this on twitter earlier, what exactly does it mean to be on the production committee? maybe my question ought to be more fundamental - what exactly is the production committee?

Eumi

So, like, I made a joke about lesbians turning up earlier, and, err...

Good to know I have gay divination I guess.

I have to ask, I finished Big Order, which was just a big ball of insane, WTF and stupid, which is worse Big Order or Mayoiga? I have yet to watch Mayoiga and I'm asking if I should even start.

Top Bottom