• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2016 |OT2| Justice is Over!

Mailbox

Watching it for its pandering is probably for the best, given the quality of everything else.

I know you tend to be a Negative Nancy, but idk what you mean by this at all. Re:Zero is pretty much the best anime this season outside of JoJo.

im definitely not expecting a great show thats for sure

You'll be surprised then :)

So--uh, since the season is drawing to a close, what was good?

Re:Zero, Kiznaiver, and Luluco are great. I still need to catch up on MHA, Tanaka-kun, and flying witch to get a proper impression on those.

Cornbread78

ReZero, Kiznaiver, Twin Star Exorcists.

MHA ep.12
So now I know where that stupid catch phrase I've seen 500,000 times in the OT thread comes from, lol. That b eine said, that fight was pretty good even though All Might is super OP.
Pretty good stuff and I'm interested how they close out the season next week.

Aki-at

No, there's only one more episode.

Uh oh.

Feels like to me there's going to be too much in the last episode for it to feel like a satisfactory end.

Season specific Flying Witch and Luluco were my favourite.

Both JoJo and Assassination Classroom are/continue to be great.

Kiznaiver has some on and off moments for me and I'm worried about the conclusion but I've mostly enjoyed my time with the gang. Kabaneri too has had issues but I can't lie I haven't enjoyed specific moments in the show.

NeonZ

I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about the plot twists
Jiro is an atomic bomb. The other dude is a meteor. Youkai go over to another world.
Uh? Sure, ok.

Does Jiro's origin even count as a "twist"? It had been the most likely possibility ever since they revealed
that he was a baby found in the middle of a small crater in Hiroshima, and that was back in season 1.

Monster Strike Episode 27 & 28
ClRXOszUkAAYA9L.jpg

He is litrally why I watch this, best scene in awhile.

Haruma seems to continue to want to not tell anything :(

Acosta

MHA 12

That was so amazing. Shonen at it´s finest, I felt so pumped the whole episode.

I can't believe it´s final... I'm going to need a lot of patience not getting into the manga. But I want to keep watching it like this.

Cornbread78

The Lost Village-END
Talk about the most disappointing show of the season,... That ending was blah, just like the last 5 or so have been, so I'm not typically of surprised, it's just a shame the show ended up such garbage.... just what was Okada and that director thinking..

Everything was there to be a nice dark tale Ina unique setting, but in the end,
nothing fucking happened... psychological scars are nanaki? Uugghh,
than k so for the psychological thriller everyone though we were going to get...

Knights of Sidonia 1-2

Am I crazy, or is it hard to tell the difference between some female characters on the show? I'm not joking about the the clones either, I mean the obvious love interests. I look at them, and they all just kind of meld together. Other than that, even by CG show standards, it's not great. The framerate fluctuates wildly. One second it'll be nice and smooth, and the next moment I'm being reminded of blighttown. When people talk, their mouths....sweet jesus. I will admit I like the designs of the mechs though. Story wise, the ideas presented here aren't terrible, but they're presented in such a haphazard way that I can't see myself getting invested in these characters. I'm 2 episodes in, and I'm getting distracted.

I feel like I could get most the enjoyment found here, with better CG just by watching Starship Troopers.

Not the sequels though. Those are terrible.

If you're interested in a CG anime by Polygon Pictures, just watch Ronja the Robber's Daughter (or their earlier work on Tron Uprising). They have talented CG animators, but a really bad philosophy towards late-night anime production.

I would recommend

Concrete Revolutio
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure: Diamond is Unbreakable
Kiznaiver
Kuromukuro
Sansha Sanyou
Tanaka-kun is Always Listless
Tonkatsu DJ Agetarou

Shonen Maid Episode 10

Finally the grandma plot gets introduced.
I thought Chihiro would be a bit mad or as mad as Madoka seems. The grandma could have at least visited the mother while she was living.

Sianos

I read The Disappearance of Nagato Yuki-chan manga as something light sweet to keep up morale while taking breaks from the stresses of moving, and now I'm looking forward to watching the anime once I'm settled in. Once I'm able to start watching I'll post impressions and what resonated with me, but first I wanted to make an intro post.

It's a shame that the anime only covers the first five volumes of the manga, though. I can understand why, since the end of the fifth volume makes for a decent capstone and the following volumes introduce characters from light novels that haven't been adapted yet. I particularly liked how the later volumes subverted common "misunderstanding" based plot lines in such a manner that demonstrated how the characters have grown together. Manga spoilers:
Sasaki, Kyon's childhood friend, wants him to pretend to be his date so she doesn't have to directly reject one of his friends. But Kyon recognizes that this would be misconstrued by Yuki, and more importantly that doing this would be really insensitive to her. Sasaki understands, and they reaffirm that they are still best buds.
How reasonable and refreshing! I also appreciate that
the titular couple gets together, and instead of ending the manga there, it continues on as their relationship grows.

When I watched The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie (which was excellent, and I want to write more about it when I have a keyboard again), I couldn't help cheering for the altered universe. Everyone seemed happier and better adjusted, and as the light novels progressed and more was revealed I think staying in the altered universe would have been the better choice for everyone, especially for their psychological health. Not only was this a pleasant "what-if" scenario with familiar characters in a happier environment, but I've enjoyed the romance as well.

I have some questions as well: how is the anime compared to the first volumes of the manga? And what are some other romantic anime wherein characters grow to be more cognizant and sensitive towards others rather than forced misunderstanding plots played straight revolving around insensitive characters who even after they grow together don't seem to understand others any better? I really like how refreshing it is.

Cornbread78

Nijiiro Days ep.16/17
Mattson is trying so hard to hook u on with "spit woman," but it's just not going his way. At least he stepped up like a man and told her how he really feels, but she's still wrapped up in her yuri hopes for Anna.. Baby steps though..

RIN-NE Season 2 Episode 36 – Monsters of the Summer Festival

So rude to a poor classmate, and isnt that actually stressful to watch others eat and have fun because they have money to spend but you dont? Im glad Rokudo initially said no. Also they took advantage of my Tsubasa, awful.

Hilarious episode at times, when the bear started flying and stuff, lol.

KraytarJ

MHA 12
It's definitely gotten better, the villains have been an interesting addition (why didn't ice guy just freeze the whole raven guy? Can he regenerate from a totally shattered state?). I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ends, hopefully with Deku stepping up to the plate and not constantly crying anymore.

Re: Zero 12
The show of the season keeps delivering, it's nice to finally see Emilia have some plot relevance again after being basically a background character for the mansion arc and it's good to see all the characters from the early days (especially Felt and whatever's going on with her).

Kiznaiver 11
I feel like this show is completely off the rails, the post-Kizna stuff has just been constant misses. The strength of the show was always the cast and their interactions and while it's nice to see Sonozaki and Katsuhira's backgrounds it just feels a little rushed to me as all the interesting characters that the show spent so much time developing just got pushed to the side and ignored for a few weeks. Here's to a hopefully satisfying conclusion, even after that batshit ending.
I'm not sure I get why Sonozaki is so for the Kizna system after what it's done to her and her friends and why she would decide to try to just assimilate everyone at once knowing what hell the system has put its subjects through.

Jintor

MHA 12
It's definitely gotten better, the villains have been an interesting addition (why didn't ice guy just freeze the whole raven guy? Can he regenerate from a totally shattered state?).

I think he was trying to be precise without hitting All Might so he erred on the side of caution

I'm looking forward to seeing how this one ends, hopefully with Deku stepping up to the plate and not constantly crying anymore.

unfortunately it turns out crying is his quirk

Man God

Non-Canon Member
The second OT thread for winter this year also happened right around the meteorological end of Winter as well. Funny coincidence.

KraytarJ

I think he was trying to be precise without hitting All Might so he erred on the side of caution
But there was a lot of time to use it on him after All Might got free. Maybe they would have dodged or something, it was just weird how ice guy did that one thing and then that was it, even though he seems OP af.

javac

Why am I just hearing of this now? In This Corner of the World
In This Corner of the World is an upcoming Japanese animated film produced by MAPPA, directed and written by Sunao Katabuchi, that is scheduled for release in Japan in October 2016. It is based on Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni, Fumiyo Kōno's manga of the same name. The film is set in the 1930s in Hiroshima, roughly 10 years before the atomic bomb. The project was announced on August 2012 and began crowdfunding in March 2015 to raise funds. The crowdfunding was a success, with a Japanese record of 3,374 contributors and the 39 million Yen raised exceeding the 20 million Yen goal.

I'm a fan of Fumiyo Kono's work, never realized that this was being adapted. Something to look forward to! What brought my attention to this adaptation was this recent news:

ANIMATSU ENTERTAINMENT BRINGS ‘IN THIS CORNER OF THE WORLD’ TO ANNECY 2016

London-Based Anime Company’s Powerful Manga-Inspired Feature to Screen in Festival’s ‘Works in Progress’ Program

14 June 2016 – Annecy, France – Animatsu Entertainment, the new London-based producer, licensor and distributor of anime in the UK, Ireland and, soon, the rest of the world, has secured global distribution rights to the highly anticipated animated feature In This Corner of the World (この世界の片隅に Kono Sekai no Katasumi ni). The company introduces this poignant, uplifting, coming of age story to buyers at the Annecy International Animated Film Festival and Market today, showing the uncompleted manga-inspired title in the festival’s Works in Progress program.

Produced by GENCO, with Japanese animation studio MAPPA, In This Corner of the World has been licensed to Animatsu Entertainment for the film’s worldwide sales. GENCO, in turn, will release In This Corner of the World in Japan this October.

Press release: http://www.animatsu.com/animatsu-entertainment-brings-in-this-corner-of-the-world-to-annecy-2016/

The Fundraiser page: https://www.makuake.com/project/konosekai/

Jintor

But there was a lot of time to use it on him after All Might got free. Maybe they would have dodged or something, it was just weird how ice guy did that one thing and then that was it, even though he seems OP af.

All Might kept telling them not to interfere after he got saved, so they listened to their sensei. The Nomou also demonstrated several times it's almost as fast as All-Might can be (despite anime pacing), so perhaps he was being wary.

Ace Attorney Episode 12 – Turnabout Goodbyes — Last Trial

Wow that was an epic and fantastic scene. Finally something that made me actually feel like getting the game. If we can get more Naruhodo kun and Mitsuguru Reiji tag teams then this will be a great game.

Kuromukuro 11

To see Kennosuke shake like that, damn. Not what I was expecting to see. I wonder if he was shaking because
he killed the guy, or if what he said made him doubt himself.

I would say latter.
Subs seems still won't come til few days later anyway, if any other people her watching this show and waiting episode 11 subs.

Kyuur

Surprised no one in mentioning Kabaneri as a show to watch from this season. It's been very solid and has highs as great as any of the other shows. I would even say this last episode was better than any other so far this season, maybe only tying with a Re:Zero or Kiznaiver episode.

Surprised no one in mentioning Kabaneri as a show to watch from this season. It's been very solid and has highs as great as any of the other shows. I would even say this last episode was better than any other so far this season, maybe only tying with a Re:Zero or Kiznaiver episode.

I agree, those are my top 3 of the season.

Moaradin

Complete opposite for me tbh. Kabaneri has been falling apart as soon as Biba showed up. Didn't care for the latest episode at all.

Narag

I keep trying to talk myself into getting caught up on Kabaneri but talk of each subsequent ep puts me off.

Kyuur

Complete opposite for me tbh. Kabaneri has been falling apart as soon as Biba showed up. Didn't care for the latest episode at all.

What about Biba / current arc don't you like exactly? Just curious, opinions and all!

For me, Kabaneri maintains a consistent and good pace (MHA, sometimes Re:Zero/Kiznaiver fail), pays excellent attention to its side characters and has excellent visual and audio direction. Its story isn't groundbreaking but the execution is solid (Kiznaiver is the only thing I'd really call new). Just really well put together and non-pandering.

Another show I should mention is Joker Game, which I haven't heard much about in this thread either. It had a weaker middle but the last 3 episodes have been top notch. Great sense of tension in addition to all the comments for Kabaneri above.

Narag

Another show I should mention is Joker Game, which I haven't heard much about in this thread either. It had a weaker middle but the last 3 episodes have been top notch. Great sense of tension in addition to all the comments for Kabaneri above.

Joker Game hasn't been too well received here given the feeling of contrivance with the early situations. Some folk on twitter that I wouldn't expect to love it do though so I want to get back to it myself.

I wanted to like Joker Game but in the end I could only appreciate the soundtrack and some of the visual choices. It didn't really do anything thematically I was hoping for from the setting. I'm not sure if the original novel is as uninteresting or the adaptation just stripped the interesting parts away.

Mailbox

Kiznaiver Episode 11

Not sure i like exactly where this is heading, but considering the rest of the series, i'll give it the benefit of the doubt. We'll see next episode if it can stick the landing,

What about Biba / current arc don't you like exactly? Just curious, opinions and all!

For me, Kabaneri maintains a consistent and good pace (MHA, sometimes Re:Zero/Kiznaiver fail), pays excellent attention to its side characters and has excellent visual and audio direction. Its story isn't groundbreaking but the execution is solid (Kiznaiver is the only thing I'd really call new). Just really well put together and non-pandering.

man if you're enjoying Kabaneri then stay away from this thread, because the grand majority of us have gotten tired of it. Characters started out with promise but at some point or another shat the bed. Particularly Mumei. Everything else just turned a bit too 'anime original final arc' quality, which is funny considering this is anime original from the get-go anyways, with Biba.

blurr

I suppose I could've picked up Tanaka-kun is Always Listless considering it seems to be consistently good and funny from what I read here.

Mailbox

Re:Zero episode 12

Yep, I'm in. Good start to the new arc with new characters and some returning ones. It also flows better from the second arc than the second arc did from the first. I'm interested what kind of "issue" will fuck up Subaru this time, considering this arc is supposed to last the remainder of the season.

Excited to see more :)

I suppose I could've picked up Tanaka-kun is Always Listless considering it seems to be consistently good and funny from what I read here.

some in here dislike the yaoi-baiting, but the show is extremely light-hearted and doesn't ever get past the comedic 'we should just be married' jokes from Tanaka. Not particularly mean-spirited towards fans who want it to happen. I'd recommend it as Tanaka starts out bad but with the supporting cast around him he got much better.

Mailbox

some in here dislike the yaoi-baiting, but the show is extremely light-hearted and doesn't ever get past the comedic 'we should just be married' jokes from Tanaka. Not particularly mean-spirited towards fans who want it to happen. I'd recommend it as Tanaka starts out bad but with the supporting cast around him he got much better.

Yeah, episode 1 is kind of a bore, but episode 2 onward (because of the introduction of new characters) are significantly better

jgminto

Don't get people saying the first episode of Tanaka-kun was boring. It was super charming and pleasant from the beginning, it's a blanket and warm drink in animated form. Unless you need your SoL comedies as manic as possible which is a shame.

What is bad about Joker Game? Is it because there's no connection between stuff whatsoever? I'm curious about this.

I don't mind Joker Game being episodic; the problem is that it doesn't flesh out those episodic stories with any interesting thematic or character meat. Instead, it's just hollow mysteries which aren't even satisfying as mysteries because they're resolved through clumsy exposition dumps instead of naturally unfolding in a way that gives the viewer clues ahead of time. It's just a waste of the international World War II era setting.

Honestly, Joker Game was just boring to me. The whole show was just dull. The characters, the mysteries, the settings, the rare bits of action, none of them congealed into anything captivating. The worst part of it is Joker Game really, really , wants to blow you away. It's a very in your face show, both in terms of direction and characterization. The problem with that is its episodic nature doesn't allow you to really get attached to anything or anyone in the story. It's a show at odds with itself.

Top Bottom