• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cornbread78

It's about lesbians yeah. I don't remember their names and I'm too lazy to walk ten steps to my bookshelf to check but here's what I remember from how far the manga's along.

MC#1: Trendy/fashionable girl who's nervous about her first boyfriend but her concerns shift to "why do I get more turned on by my best friend than when I'm with my boyfriend" pretty early on.
MC#2: Best friend of MC#1, starts making out with MC#1 ostensibly so she can "practice" but it's pretty clear that she wants to get together with MC#1 and for MC#1 to save her from her abusive boyfriend. Has a mischievous personality.
Boyfriend#1: Boyfriend of MC#1. He's this regular "nice guy" type. He's gentle with MC#1 and doesn't want to rush her into anything she feels uncomfortable with, but still wants their relationship to advance. You end up feeling sorry for him but it's also kinda funny watching him get cheated on cause he's just such an adorably standup guy that doesn't deserve that shit. It's cute to see him be oblivious to it and think "wow my girlfriend and her best friend are such good friends!"
Boyfriend#2: Suave scumbag type. Friend of boyfriend#1. IIRC he tries to blackmail MC#1 and 2 or something. Is probably abusive to MC#2.

I think the MCs names were Yuma and Hotaru but IDK for sure.

This saves me time from having to watch that garbage this summer. Uggh, there really isn't much of interest this summer..

Alucard

Banned
It's a super cheesy thriller about a teenage edgelord who uses supernatural powers to kill criminals in creative ways, and the direction is over the top and overdramatic because the director knows exactly how silly it is. What's there not to get? It's pure entertainment.

This, just enjoy the ride

death note is genuinely good until the part everyone knows about but it still manages to be mostly entertaining

dbz was always good

I'll try a few more episodes, I guess. Mushi-shi is holding my interest a lot more, though.

blurr

Descending Stories: Showa Genroku Rakugo Shinju 1

In an anime mood and don't want to be crushed by a backlog come January so figured I'd move on to this. Good start, I read all about what freaked everybody out, and I'm glad I did because now I can pay attention to certain character interactions with that in mind.

oh, nice

your approach would be interesting to see what hints we've missed out on, do post screens of such moments

So there's a possibility of an Oregairu movie - IN MY VEINS

mid83

As a complete anime newbie I'm having a really hard time finding a currently airing show to watch other than My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan that I feel comfortable checking out. I have no interest in fan service or casts full of young girls, yet when I looks at the list of currently airing shows, at quick glance it seems like many of the shows fit in one or both of those categories. I looked at the upcoming Summer shows and don't feel much better about it.

I know I'm judging a book by its cover, but am I off base on this? When I've asked this type of question before I normally get lists of older shows, and while I plan on watching things like Death Note and others, I would like to have a couple of newer shows to watch so I can jump into ongoing conversations that always makes the tv experience more fun.

Quasar

You should be watching Eccentric Family. Though really I feel you are unfairly prejudiced. But then fighting shows might be all you care about, and given that genre is the one I avoid I probably don't have many suggestions.

You should be watching Eccentric Family. Though really I feel you are unfairly prejudiced. But then fighting shows might be all you care about, and given that genre is the one I avoid I probably don't have many suggestions.
What's it about, I tried watching it years ago when I first got crunchy but it didn't click.
Then again, that's happened with a lot of animes. I watch the first episode, not feeling it due to not being in the mood, try it again a few months later and end up binge watching :v

cj_iwakura

Seeya Later Despairagator 01

Well this is some deep cut Japanese stuff. Reminds me of Hoozuki no Reitetsu, Joshiraku, Hyouge Mono and parts of Gintama/Monogatari where I can feel the translators struggling to make this work. Between the Japanese baseball references and the constant nonsensical kanji wordplay its really, really out there.

I like it tho
This wasn't licensed, was it? The High Correction AMV makes it look great.

Alucard

Banned
As a complete anime newbie I'm having a really hard time finding a currently airing show to watch other than My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan that I feel comfortable checking out. I have no interest in fan service or casts full of young girls, yet when I looks at the list of currently airing shows, at quick glance it seems like many of the shows fit in one or both of those categories. I looked at the upcoming Summer shows and don't feel much better about it.

I know I'm judging a book by its cover, but am I off base on this? When I've asked this type of question before I normally get lists of older shows, and while I plan on watching things like Death Note and others, I would like to have a couple of newer shows to watch so I can jump into ongoing conversations that always makes the tv experience more fun.

Try Mushi-shi if you don't mind a slower show. Each episode is self contained, the animation is beautiful, and the story is about a spirit hunter/expert who goes around solving different spirit mysteries in villages.

Thud

You need some tiger mask in your life.

pbayne

Caught up on shit

Pokemon

Lol wig episode. Still greatness.

Monster Hunter

This has gotten really dumb and boring. Far too long for its own good.

Digimon

Urobutcher tier episode outta nowhere. Gotta appreciate villains smart enough to just attack the humans.

Precure

New villain is brilliant. Yukari the smartest character in this genre confirmed.

You could be watching starmyu or the royal tutor or the kings avatar or even yowamushi pedal or kado or kenka bancho otome.

Ascheroth

Well, Re:Creators would fit the bill. Kado too, but that apparently jumped the shark recently.

And if anime fails you, chinese cartoons have your back. The King's Avatar was very entertaining.

Tunoku

I didn't have a ton of time to watch anime at all lately, so I wanna ask again as we're nearing the end of the season: Is there anything new that is watchable? Tsukigakirei seems fine, but otherwise? Debating whether to dig into my backlog or start watching a spring show.

I only managed to watch the second season of Attack on Titan and Hero Academia. Both of the shows surprised me, Attack on Titan because it was a lot better than expected and Hero because it was extremely bland and forgettable.

Alucard

Banned
Watched episodes two and three of Deathnote. It's a pretty clever concept and I see the potential of it now, especially with the introduction of L. There's a shit ton of telling and talking around the concepts of the Deathnote itself still, which is death for most stories, but I'm intrigued enough, even if the characters are way too smart for their own good.

Tunoku

Decided to just watch a Gintama episode and made it episode 25. It's about celebrating the start of the 3rd season but ends up escalating into the most epic war for Sukiyaki. This show's getting pretty good.

6632d999950736e81d9c4222cdff6130.jpg

Watched episodes two and three of Deathnote. It's a pretty clever concept and I see the potential of it now, especially with the introduction of L. There's a shit ton of telling and talking around the concepts of the Deathnote itself still, which is death for most stories, but I'm intrigued enough, even if the characters are way too smart for their own good.

Haha yeah Light and L are super geniuses so most of the show ends up being "You have fallen for my trap" "Haha no it is you who has fallen for my trap which was your trap all along" like a less bombastic Geass

striferser

Huge Nickleback Fan

Well this is some deep cut Japanese stuff. Reminds me of Hoozuki no Reitetsu, Joshiraku, Hyouge Mono and parts of Gintama/Monogatari where I can feel the translators struggling to make this work. Between the Japanese baseball references and the constant nonsensical kanji wordplay its really, really out there.

I like it tho

Koji Kumeta is a crazy man, and whoever direct this is also high on drug. The later part is more surreal and funnier. Enjoy the ride

Alucard

Banned
Haha yeah Light and L are super geniuses so most of the show ends up being "You have fallen for my trap" "Haha no it is you who has fallen for my trap which was your trap all along" like a less bombastic Geass

Pretty much. The writing is also too tell-y and breaks the "show don't tell" mantra of storytelling to a massive degree. They repeat stuff way too much and just blatantly talk about the ideas of the show in an obvious way to tell the audience "YOU NEED TO KNOW THIS."

"The difference between humans and gods is that we can see a human's name and their death date over their head with our eyes. If you want my eyes, you must make a deal with me so that I take half of your life span. But I cannot tell you how long you will be alive. Let me repeat so you understand...if you want to see people's names and know when they're supposed to die, you must surrender half of your lifespan to me. If you're supposed to live to 100, you will only live until 50. If you have twelve months left to live, you only have six months. Do you agree to do this?"

"Half my lifespan...but I can't know when I'm dying...it would make the Deathnote even easier to use. YES. I will do it to get your eyes."

Bad writing, but the concepts are basically logic puzzles that are intriguing on their own.

Tonton

Dragon Ball Super 95

I was still thinking they were somehow going back to Buy till the last moment
I hope we're actually starting next week

Tsuki ga Kirei is pretty​ cool but not sure if it'd be what you want either since it's not an action show like what you're watching, just a middle school romance

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
The iDOLM@STER Cinderella Girls "Where's the joke?" Theatre 12

This character quite frankly annoys me.

Did you know her gimmick is she's a fat idol?

Yes, the above image is of a fat character.

That is meant to be fat.

Wow.

What an awful message to tell your audience.

phaze

I like it tho

No, Chiri will not step on you, get you hands and your back (properly) away from her.

blurr

That is meant to be fat.

Wow.

but in season 2, she begins exercising a lot to reduce weight because she felt she was being left out for her physique, it goes to a point that she faints at work, it is kind of shown as a form of self abuse because in some scenes of the same episode when she hears good news, she rewards herself by eating sweets

kewlmyc

That is meant to be fat.

Wow.

Isn't that realistic to the idols in real life as well? Maybe that's what they were going for?

That is meant to be fat.

Wow.

You are right, fat people have no place in anime, especially idol anime.

BGBW

Maturity, bitches.
She's just a poster gal for a pet peeve of mine in anime; the whole "Oh no, I'm really fat now, I better go on a diet" storyline that's oh so common in anime where the before and after are literally no different from each other.

Also, don't watch that PV Line_HTX just linked to.

It's lewd, crude and a disgrace.

Honestly, I find even the starting point of the relationship so utterly ridiculous that I can't even get past that. Ymir decides to devote her life to someone she didn't even talked to, met or saw but just because she overheard some talk that made this unknown person's situation somewhat similar to hers earlier on. The cynical Ymir, the thief Ymir, judging by those flashbacks, who cherished her new found freedom and life, chose to join army and even the Erwin's corps where she could die or out herself daily for that. For complete stranger. Like, I'm trying but my suspension of disbelief is absolutely not allowing me to take seriously such disregard for self-preservation instinct.

But yeah, a lot of their relationship is them screaming platitutes and each other, Ymir flip flapping about what course of action to take and taking, after due consideration, the dumbest possible one under the sun.

Ymir might have cherished her freedom but she was still lonely and I can see her being intrigued by someone sharing a somewhat similar fate. Her caring for people in spite of her cynical nature (or front) seems to be a running theme for her anyways.

It's not like she immediately dedicated her life to Christa just based upon what she overheard. She joined the recruits to check her out and could've left at just about every point, even in dangerous situations, considering her Titan powers. But she became attached to Christa and her kindness, even though she wanted Christa to discard just that. They became close friends if not more and well, at that point Ymir did have someone she cared for very much.

If Christa were to leave the recruits or later SC Ymir would've been more than happy about that. However, Ymir failed to convince Christa about joining the MP instead of the scouts.

So that chain of events doesn't seem that implausible to me. If I were to assume Ymir was 100% convincted in her lone-wolf nature, sure, she shouldn't have cared whatsoever overhearing the church members. But it seems only human to want to care for someone and that facet of hers shows on several occassions.

Ymir going with Bertholt and Reiner doesn't come from nowhere either as she grew grateful for them in a few regards, even if I'm not necessarily going to agree with her decision.

I'm not saying she is an amazingly written character and I share some of your issues, ableit not to the same extends. Calling her downright bad and even the worst, though, meh.

Szadek

Gundam IBO S2
That was an fantastic ending, even if it was very cynical.
Pretty much all the idealistic characters get fucked, while the pragmatic antagonist wins.
Despite that, it was mostly a happy ending,minus all the people that died, obviously.
Although, the fact that Iok finally died certianly made my day.

I defiently liked the season more than the first.

She's just a poster gal for a pet peeve of mine in anime; the whole "Oh no, I'm really fat now, I better go on a diet" storyline that's oh so common in anime where the before and after are literally no different from each other.

It's strange how few anime there are where people go through some proper weight loss. I could imagine some good motivational weight-loss anime to be rather popular and something a government might be interested in funding even. Then again obesity isn't nearly as large of a concern in Japan as it's in say the US or UK.

blurr

It is kind of shown as a bad thing(for her) in the show so I didn't mind. I don't find her fat either, she's a bit chubby at best.

Also, don't watch that PV Line_HTX just linked to.

It's lewd, crude and a disgrace.

No joke, listen to BGBW here.

Joe Molotov

How do you feel about Kiss Him, Not Me?

How do you feel about Kiss Him, Not Me?

I was actually just thinking about that.

That one is bad on its own right because even though it has weight loss, that...is not how it works and seemed merely like an afterthought to get some cliché ugly duck -> beautiful swan transformation in no time.

I can't quite remember the details but IIRC it's basically just her eating nothing for a week or several and suddenly being a model as a result.

Akashi Records 12 END

Good enough that I would read the LN, the events in this final arc felt a bit fast and the brief tease of what maybe the next arc involving the name of the show could be compelling.

awesome magic school LN anime.

Starmyu s2 Episode 12 END

The drama for the shoulder was probably not necessary as we could have achieved the same Hoshitani x Otori outcome if it was just the whole play, however the singing and dancing was pretty awesome and I loved the full version of Light Up Dreamer song by most or all of the cast. More Starmyu is needed.

Attack on Titan 37

This season has been so good and this episode was a perfect cap to end the season on. So many great moments and things to really get me excited for AoT again. I am especially excited that we don't have to wait four years for the next season as we will get another season next year! Ready for more.

My Hero Academia 25

When I saw the way the fight ended I knew Bakugo wasn't going to be happy. Still, I love these characters and series to death and I would love to see them see this series through to its end.

Eromanga-Sensei 11

Yeah...

Yeah...

Yeah... I know...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom