• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spring Anime 2017 |OT| Don't be a SukaSuka for Gacha

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clov

I could have started watching more of this season's anime. Instead my wife and I ended up watching the first season of Konosuba with a bunch of our friends, since they had been bugging me to watch it for a while. It actually was pretty funny, I enjoyed it a lot more than I thought.

Tonton

Looking for Attack on Titan on Netflix I didn't find it but I saw they had OG Naruto.

Somewhat tempted to give it a try I think it's 200 something episodes for this alone?

TUSR

Banned
It's strange how few anime there are where people go through some proper weight loss. I could imagine some good motivational weight-loss anime to be rather popular and something a government might be interested in funding even. Then again obesity isn't nearly as large of a concern in Japan as it's in say the US or UK.
Ishida's childhood friend lost so much weight he disappeared in Koe no Katachi.

Jex

[Little Witch Academia] - 24

This finale really feels like it's going through the motions. I'd say it's sub-Kill La Kill at this point.

I can't feel any passion or excitement coming through from the creators. Did anyone at Trigger actually want to make this series at all?

Loona

As a complete anime newbie I'm having a really hard time finding a currently airing show to watch other than My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan that I feel comfortable checking out. I have no interest in fan service or casts full of young girls, yet when I looks at the list of currently airing shows, at quick glance it seems like many of the shows fit in one or both of those categories. I looked at the upcoming Summer shows and don't feel much better about it.

I know I'm judging a book by its cover, but am I off base on this? When I've asked this type of question before I normally get lists of older shows, and while I plan on watching things like Death Note and others, I would like to have a couple of newer shows to watch so I can jump into ongoing conversations that always makes the tv experience more fun.

I'd recommend Re:Creators - since it's an anime original, there are no manga spoilers involved, so people are still trying to figure out how the plot may play out - and since it just reached its 11th episode out of 22, you enjoy the progression so far without the annoyance of weekly waits, and figure out if it's something you'd enjoy theme and tone-wise.

She's just a poster gal for a pet peeve of mine in anime; the whole "Oh no, I'm really fat now, I better go on a diet" storyline that's oh so common in anime where the before and after are literally no different from each other.

Maybe it's not the best example ever, but Tamako from Silver Spoon was an interesting case - she's visibly on the heavy side of things, but her colleagues acknowledge that that doesn't detract from how pretty she is (if anything, her sense of pragmatism might be the most unappealing thing about her, not her looks, since it ever makes her parents uneasy) - there's even an instance or two when she loses weight for reasons I don't recall, and decides to go back to her usual measures since she dislikes how somehow maintaining a thin build messes with her skin.

PaulBizkit

This finale really feels like it's going through the motions. I'd say it's sub-Kill La Kill at this point.

I can't feel any passion or excitement coming through from the creators. Did anyone at Trigger actually want to make this series at all?

Why do you say that? you think it's forced?

I binge-watched this show for the past 3 days and I must say I love how this finale is shapping up. I can't wait till next monday to see how i'll end. Is this show going to have 26 episodes total?

zulux21

doing my look into next season.
gotta say it looks pretty weak.

oh well. here's hoping the new fate project and Shoukoku no Altair are at least fun.

I think ballroom should be fun as well.

Kakegurui will also be something.

LotusHD

Banned

It's been sub-KLK for a long time now. Outside of that twist, I've been horribly bored with this series.
May check out the game though.

As a complete anime newbie I'm having a really hard time finding a currently airing show to watch other than My Hero Academia and Attack on Titan that I feel comfortable checking out. I have no interest in fan service or casts full of young girls, yet when I looks at the list of currently airing shows, at quick glance it seems like many of the shows fit in one or both of those categories. I looked at the upcoming Summer shows and don't feel much better about it.

I know I'm judging a book by its cover, but am I off base on this? When I've asked this type of question before I normally get lists of older shows, and while I plan on watching things like Death Note and others, I would like to have a couple of newer shows to watch so I can jump into ongoing conversations that always makes the tv experience more fun.

From currently airing shows I would suggest Eccentric Family, ID-0, Tiger Mask W, and Tsuki ga Kirei. For next season you might be interested in Mahoujin Guru Guru, The Reflection, Shoukoku no Altair, and Welcome to the Ballroom. These should all meet your criteria.

Shokugeki no Soma Episode 10: Actually weird how the drama can actually be taken seriously when the character who serves as the POV (Megumi in this case) doesn't have hilariously OP hax skills. Like, Soma isn't a bad protagonist, but he straddles that Kirito/Onii-sama line of undermining the stakes set against him.

Narag

Should've been watching Tiger Mask W with the cool kids instead.

Bastard Instructor episode 12

End of the arc, not the story. We need more.

Most Light Novel Adaptations are pretty much just glorified commercials to get people to read the Light Novels, so even if it gets another season I can't imagine it'll have that much forward progression.

I want to say that's the real reason there's never been a third Season of SAO. Light Novels went into this long ass arc that is still ongoing after Gun Gail Online so that doesn't exactly lend itself well to an Anime Adaptation.

Gulz1992

I think that when the Berserk(2017) dub comes out, I'll just get high and replace the lines for Gatts in my head when I watch it.

I'm kidding, I'm never watching it.

Is the manga that bad or something?

Yes, yes it was. It sorta feels like the manga's target audience are those who would join a MAGA/red pill people...That is really the best way I can describe everything horribly wrong with it for the 10 or so chapters I could stomach before anger took over me. It uses so many eechi and romance cliche's I've read before, but just something about it pushed me over the top to cause me to boil over in rage. Once again: Fuck this manga, fuck this anime.

Natsume Roku 11 (End)
oR7h4Xb.jpg
That's unfair dropping such a major thing on the last episode. Guess I'll just wait and hope for the next season then.

Spice & Wolf - Completed: I've been slowly watching this over the course of the past week. I thought the first season was fairly cute. I really like the pairing of Lawrence and Holo and they bounce off of one another really well. Second season was a drag though. I found the insert of "strife" in their budding relationship to drag the show down, the second arc in particular. The economics lesson was pretty interesting as well.

Hanasaku Iroha: Home Sweet Home

A solid 1-hour film version of the series, touching in on all its main characters and revisiting its themes in a compressed yet largely successful fashion. It's not particularly ambitious, but it also nearly eliminates the rougher portions of the TV series in favor of its strengths. Having read the synopsis of Mari Okada's autobiography, which goes into her own family struggles growing up, I can see a new personal dimension in the mother/daughter conflicts featured in her script here. I hope to be able to read that one day, since for as much as people like to slog on her melodramatic writing, she sounds like a fascinating person.

Hanasaku Iroha is still the best thing Masahiro Ando's directed since Sword of the Stranger, huh? While he doesn't get to show off the action storyboarding skills he's most known for, that he has shown off since in, say, Zetsuen no Tempest or his episodes in Zvezda, he still brings a strong eye to the character framing in this film. The smooth editing used to draw connections between characters across time and space is particularly noteworthy, such as the ending scene when shots of Satsuki running at different times in her life are spliced together with Ohana running, the daughter following in her mother's footsteps of pushing forward onto her own life path.

On another note, Chiaki Omigawa's voice acting here is unusually nuanced for her. It's too bad her capabilities as an actress were never able to fully flourish.

JulianImp

Watched the latest episodes of Eromanga-sensei and Alice & Zoroku today, and I've got to say it paid off to watch them in that order in order to clean my palate.

One of my main gripes with Eromanga is that the whole set-up would've worked a lot better had Sagiri and the MC not been siblings-in-law, since the whole set-up is that they both liked each other long before their parents married each other, and even after that they barely interacted with each other anyway, so them being brother and sister looks like some kind of tacked-on setting just to make the whole thing have incestuous undertones without being legally wrong.

... And that's on top of the show having Sagiri want to look at her brother's friends' panties, that other girl saying ochinchin every other line as soon as the MC meets her, Elf walking around her mansion naked, and Muramasa being teased over going comando under her kimono. And they're all underage girls, mind you.

TL;DR: This anime is trash, and so am I for having watched it.

At least Alice & Zoroku more than made up for that, since this whole arc made a lot more sense for Sana and her growth as a person, even if we end up being treated to some action scenes in the very last episode.

What the hell is this?

Man, I even lost count of the number of times they said "virgin" in that PV. Seriously, what the heck...

It looks like yet another generic ecchi high-school harem show, so I won't even entertain the thought of watching it.

I know I have little to no credibility when posting about the latest Eromanga-sensei episode in the same message, but I really won't be watching this show. Seriously.

Is Super Gals a good show?

I love Super Gals! It's been quite some time since I watched it (it's like early 00's if I remember correctly), but it still sticks with me. It's a funny slice of life before that genre got super popular. The characters all have fleshed out personalities and work well together. Plus it's sort of like a look at Japanese teen culture in the early 00's. Part of this might be nostalgia, but it's a pretty memorable and definitely worth a watch.

Aki-at

Megumin is a girl, therefore best girl.

But Darkness is a fully developed woman therefore she's best woman and female too.

Aqua stays losing and we all laugh at her misery.

jbug617

Banned
Here is the exclusive list for the new streaming service HIDIVE

Amagi Brilliant Park OVA
Aoharu x Machinegun OVA
Arch Angels
The Asylum Session
Beyond the Boundary OVA
Brynhildr in the Darkness OVA
Busou Shinki OVA
Cobra The Animation
Cobra The Animation: The Psychogun
Cobra The Animation: Time Drive
Coicent
Colorful
Corpse Party: Tortured Souls
Corpse Party (live-action)
Dusk maiden of Amnesia
Di Gi Charat
Fate/kaleid liner Prisma Illya OAV
Five Numbers!
Frame Arms Girl
The Fucons
Gatchaman The Movie
Gatchaman OAV
Girls und Panzer OVA
Godzilla vs. Gigan
Ebirah, Horror of the Deep
Godzilla vs. Hedorah
The Return of Godzilla
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom: Wild Dance of Kyoto
Hakuoki: Demon of the Fleeting Blossom: Warrior Spirit of the Blue Sky
Hayate the Combat Butler! Heaven Is a Place on Earth
High School Of Dead: Drifters Of The Dead
Hoshizora Kiseki
Infinite Stratos 2: World Purge-hen
Infinite Stratos 2 OVA
Jewel BEM Hunter Lime
Kämpfer für die Liebe
Kokoro Connect OVA
K-On OVA
K-On The Movie
The Kunoichi
La storia della Arcana Famiglia
Legend of the Galactic Heroes
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! OVA
Love, Chunibyo & Other Delusions! -Heart Throb- OVA
Love, Election and Chocolate OVA
Mahoromatic: I'm Home!
Mardock Scramble: The First Compression
Mardock Scramble: The Second Combustion
Mardock Scramble: The Third Exhaust
My mental choices are completely interfering with my school romantic comedy OVA
Onigiri
Patlabor OVA
Patlabor 2: The Movie
Patlabor WXIII (dubbed)
Persona 4 The Animation OVA
Place to Place OVA
Planzet
RIN-NE 3
Rozen Maiden: Ouvertüre
Saiyuki Gaiden
Short Peace
Softenni!
Student Council's Discretion Level 2 OVA
Strawberry Marshmallow
Strawberry Marshmallow Encore
Strawberry Marshmallow OAV
This Boy Can Fight Aliens!
This Boy Caught a Merman
Time Bokan
Triage X OVA
Waiting in the Summer OAV
Wakaba Girl OVA

Pricing
HIDIVE currently offers an ad-supported free membership, but English dubs, exclusive titles, uncensored content, subtitle style options, and HD video are only available for subscribers. Membership will cost US$3.99 per month for a limited time as an introductory price, and a seven-day free trial is available. Subscribers can add up to two simultaneous streams for US$1 each.
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/new...es-with-legend-of-the-galactic-heroes/.117768

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom