• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprites that look like things they're not supposed to

Tizoc

6FWF9PD.png

9cmBabf.png

I could never figure out what those Street Fighter icons were supposed to be.

I actually still dont know what they are after all these years.

There is also Crono's climb animation in Chrono Trigger. I still have trouble making it out even though I know thats what hes supposed to be doing.

They're actually a character from an old Capcom game from the 80s. Their name escapes me atm.

They are actually two characters from an obscure arcade game that Capcom made in 1986 called Hyperdyne Side Arms:

tWpkEkp.png

At least I think they are...

Oh there we go, yeah they're just chibi versions of those characters.

cacildo

Gonna give this one for free, since im on mobile and it would suck to finde the image

in super mario world theres a sprite in which mario is wearing panties

halfbeast

Banned
TYHRxSa.png

(Link's death sprite from the GBC Zeldas)
That sprite confused me for years. I thought Link got a bowler hat and sat down all depressed with his arms in front.
I still don't know what it's supposed to represent.

I see a woman in green crotchless panties spreading her legs...

Destiny cover art..

That is NOT a master chief helmet, it is the back of his head..
this fucks with my eyes, i see chief in poncho not the back of a titan, i only noticed other day when i got the theme and saw the position of his gun.. cant unsee, had to delete theme.

262713-h1.jpg

Kalliban

Neo Member
The peon portrait in Warcraft 2 threw me off for years. Probably due to his right eye just barely being visible so I hardly even noticed it.

peonkyuua.png

His left ear looked like his left eye and that he was winking or something. The left cheek was some kind of beak and the tusk his smiling mouth.

OH MY GOD! I always thought he was weirdly thin and winking! It took a while for me to see the real mouth, then it all got clear!

Peltz

jbOrpF6RLo1CWci8W82l8rUjk4bMD0lp7gZ1ukWRUO25Rk5GC6mo3H0ZUmVhXwOgJt9YnT3ccFj8HY-UCkerNjU8QTc=s400

Always saw the original SMB's goomba's "stem" as a beak, and it was like a big bird head with feet. I of course know how it's supposed to look like from subsequent games, but I still need to make an effort to see the original sprite correctly. <_<

Same here. I thought that was a beak until SMB3 came out.

MrBadger

jbOrpF6RLo1CWci8W82l8rUjk4bMD0lp7gZ1ukWRUO25Rk5GC6mo3H0ZUmVhXwOgJt9YnT3ccFj8HY-UCkerNjU8QTc=s400

Always saw the original SMB's goomba's "stem" as a beak, and it was like a big bird head with feet. I of course know how it's supposed to look like from subsequent games, but I still need to make an effort to see the original sprite correctly. <_<

Maybe that's why the enemies in Giana Sisters are owls

EDIT: I see I'm not the first person who thought that

Akif

Destiny cover art..

That is NOT a master chief helmet, it is the back of his head..
this fucks with my eyes, i see chief in poncho not the back of a titan, i only noticed other day when i got the theme and saw the position of his gun.. cant unsee, had to delete theme.

262713-h1.jpg
I've always seen it the same way as you. It looks so different now.

MrBadger

Another one that got me - for the longest time, I thought Bullet Bill had a grin

And it really didn't help that in Super Mario World, the giant ones actually do

Banzai_Bill.png

Didn't realise it was supposed to be an arm until Super Mario 64

TasTokyo

Not a sprite, but a related example most of us should be familiar with:

Basiliskeyes.jpg

Those orange things are not the eyes.

I'm not totally sure but it seemed like perhaps in the first game the orange orbs were eyes, and it was only the second game where it was changed.

Regarding the first game Miyazaki himself referred to the large orange orbs as eyes in an interview with Edge. The article is no longer online but these cached links should work:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...res/dark-matters-0/+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=jp

http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s/dark-matters-0/2/+&cd=2&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=jp

Here are the relevant parts from the article "Dark Souls&#8217; grand vision" January 31, 2012 9:21 am.

"Here, we sit down with Dark Souls creative director Hidetaka Miyazaki to discuss the game&#8217;s design and artistic vision in more granular detail."

"EDGE:The basilisk scampering around in The Depths is pretty grotesque.
Miyazaki: I make fun of the Basilisk because he has large eyeballs but spits poison. I&#8217;m rather fond of his character because of it, but players don&#8217;t like him. "

Kirlia

Banned
the_legend_of_zelda___a_link_to_the_past___agahnim_by_the_blue_pirate-d64ynpx.jpg

Agh from A Link to the Past.

I never saw him the left way (although I get why some see him like that), but I never thought the guy had an open mouth. I thought his face was completely obscured by his clothes, and all that could be seen were his eyes.

In chrono trigger, I used to think these frog creatures had a really big nose and the dark spot was their eyes. The "nose" was actually their tongue and dark spot a mouth.
TPole_Sprites.png

Even knowing it was their tongue back then, I could never unseen the nose when they were facing the camera.

what
WHAT :-O

Eeeevery time, heh.
I also saw it wrong at first.

What's not obvious about that one? There's ol' Link, happily going around holding his shield with his bared arm, sword sheathed and out of sight...

I lived life until age 20 thinking the sword was Link's arm until someone pointed it out.

What.
WHAT.
WHAT THE FUCK.
My childhood is a lie. ;_;

Not a game but cannot be unseen
cc3b99_4818483.jpg

I literally laughed myself to tears right now. Thanks!

Link is supposed to have blonde hair but he has pink hair on A Link to the Past.
images

(ALBW spoiler)
Ravio debuted in ALTTP confirmed.

You were seeing it right at first, it's not a sideburn, it's his right eye, check the remake:

That's... exactly what he's saying. He saw it as a sideburn when it's really his eye.

Black Omen from Chrono Trigger:
jAkkdcA.png

What it looks like:
VqCGEAz.jpg

What it really is:
gxREi2tl.jpg

Because the top of the structure is really this part:
7Q0VjJ1.png

The Black Omen is a Star Destroyer and not some sort of weird-ass flying tower.

TP-DK

The peon portrait in Warcraft 2 threw me off for years. Probably due to his right eye just barely being visible so I hardly even noticed it.

peonkyuua.png

His left ear looked like his left eye and that he was winking or something. The left cheek was some kind of beak and the tusk his smiling mouth.

Good one, actually this is the first time I'm looking at it right.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
HNKxl.jpg

The Ak47 in Goldeneye 007 always looked like a pencil. I called it the Pencil Gun as a kid. Now that I'm browsing the Internet, I'm not the only one who thought this.
Yup, it's definitely a massive crayon.
I remember first seeing Goldeneye screenshots in an N64 magazine and thinking the same thing ever since.
Not a sprite, but still game related.

811.jpg
Holy crap double Goldeneye gold, lol.

SystemUser

the_legend_of_zelda___a_link_to_the_past___agahnim_by_the_blue_pirate-d64ynpx.jpg

Agh from A Link to the Past.

I personally have a really hard time seeing his hat's gem stone as a mouth...

While this 'interpretation' is kinda funny it never made sense to me because the hands have the same color as his face, and other gold stuff used the same gold color iirc.

I can't tell where the mouth is on the intended view. The green haired hippie has a jawline and ears so it is easy for me the see the red square are the mouth. When I try to see the intended face wearing a headdress I can't figure out which part is the mouth. Is the whole face black with white eyes and the brown showing the mouth and nose? Or is the face supposed to be brown skinned, but wearing a mask? I have a hardtime seeing the mask and and open mouth. I think it is more likely that this was supposed to be a blackface character and not a brown face wearing a black zorro mask. Nintendo in the 90s was definitely not shy about making blackface characters. His hands are brown/gold, but so are his feet. Was he supposed to be barefoot?

IZmH1NF.png

1877.png

could never comprehend how the big white thing was a helmet on a groundhog.

his profile view always looks like a rhino with a big collar or something.

Patryn

Black Omen from Chrono Trigger:
jAkkdcA.png

What it looks like:
VqCGEAz.jpg

What it really is:
gxREi2tl.jpg

Because the top of the structure is really this part:
7Q0VjJ1.png

The Black Omen is a Star Destroyer and not some sort of weird-ass flying tower.

Holy shit. I always saw it as the giant pyramid tower thing.

Top Bottom