• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sprites that look like things they're not supposed to

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
4-capture_20052010_202912.png

Cue Ball in Pokémon Red/Blue always seemed a little... Off to me.

Grahf's profile from Xenogears:

PbzueCI.jpg

Not a game but cannot be unseen
cc3b99_4818483.jpg

These are all great.

Stencil

Super Mario RPG, the final boss Smithy.

JbM2xvU.gif

Apparently the blatant cock and balls on this "wizard" transformation were supposed to be Smithy's nose.

Ok so between this and Mack, not to mention that Yarborough guy in the lost woods (never knew wtf I was looking at with him) it seems like the sprite designers on SMRPG were taking some unprecedented liberties.

Super Mario RPG is one of those games for me. The more detailed their designs became, the harder to read they became. One such examples of designs I just didn't get was Punchinello.
bPH7yG8.png

I saw what I thought was a barrel chested ant- or bird-man, with a feathered head and a big Phanto-buckle on his belt. Turns out it's a purple potato with a liquorice wick and a smiley face goatee whose arms grow out of his ears.

jxSonrK.png

Dice//

Banned
Link is supposed to have blonde hair but he has pink hair on A Link to the Past.
images

I'm actually a little annoyed this NEVER gets referenced ever.
Super Smash could have TOTALLY made a colour palette of this (especially since other characters got such respectful treatment). Or a new game + for A Link Between Worlds. :p

Anyways

Honest to god, Lavos Core looks like alien dogs to me.
The main body looks like the head of a Yorkie wearing a purple bathing cap (not sure what it's actually supposed to be) while the little alien suckers look like cartoon dog heads looking up.

EDIT: Here I drew a picture :p
RqIafAn.jpg

Greenzxy

Those purple enemies in Bomberman Pocket.
67920-Pocket_Bomberman_(USA,_Europe)-1-thumb.png

I thought they were suppose to be teddy bears. I had no Idea they were suppose to be walking trees.

El Odio

Banned
Honest to god, Lavos Core looks like alien dogs to me.
The main body looks like the head of a Yorkie wearing a purple bathing cap (not sure what it's actually supposed to be) while the little alien suckers look like cartoon dog heads looking up.

EDIT: Here I drew a picture :p
RqIafAn.jpg
thumbnail_58551641842928868.jpg

Like others I always thought as a kid Mario was hitting Yoshi in SMW when he wanted him to eat something:
MarioandYoshi.gif

Now someones gonna post the ADHD video

Meet_shotguy.png

When I first saw this game I had no concept of what an FPS was. I saw the pistol as a helmet and the hand as a brown cape or leather jacket. Thought it was a TPS, without knowing the term. When I picked up the shotgun I was suprised that the character changed so much. Must be a backpack for ammo or something, I thought. Then I fired it, and there was the pump action motion. I was shocked and really had no idea of what was going on..

Man I can actually not unsee that now. What a weird looking character that would be lol.

Haunted

Those purple enemies in Bomberman Pocket.
67920-Pocket_Bomberman_(USA,_Europe)-1-thumb.png

I thought they were suppose to be teddy bears. I had no Idea they were suppose to be walking trees.
Without context or ever having played the game, those look like mice striking an action pose to me.

To this day I'm shocked to see how many people saw it as the first figure. It makes no sense to me. I've ALWAYS saw it like the second figure.

Is it really that hard to understand? It's a red/pink circle on something skin coloured, with the shape of ears on either side, with green on top in the shape of hair. Not really that hard to misinterpret that as a face if you're not analysing the sprite too hard.

Guess I'll do the one I put in another thread like this: The killer plant monsters in Chrono Trigger:

WMZethJ.gif

In their idle animation I always see them as some beaked monster with tentacle limbs holding two orbs and wearing garish clothing with a large collar and a hood. Their real form is clearer once they start moving but even now I have a hard time seeing what they're supposed to be when they're idle.

This is a good one. I've always seen it like that, too.

Holy shit!

Even after seeing this, it is still sooo hard not to look at those things as eyes!

Those are supposed to look like eyes, I think. It's like the evolutionary advantage some moths have with huge, intimidating "eyes" on their wings.

HNKxl.jpg

The Ak47 in Goldeneye 007 always looked like a pencil. I called it the Pencil Gun as a kid. Now that I'm browsing the Internet, I'm not the only one who thought this.

Dead Man

Jamezeite

Banned
Bullit_bill_smb_1.png

I could not see the arm and eye on this bullet bill from Super Mario Bros. I had no idea bullet bill even had an arm or eye until years later when it was made clear in subsequent games. I just thought those light parts were because it was shiny and gleaming in the sunlight.
My gf didn't believe me when I told her they were arms and not wings. She always saw wings.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Is it really that hard to understand? It's a red/pink circle on something skin coloured, with the shape of ears on either side, with green on top in the shape of hair. Not really that hard to misinterpret that as a face if you're not analysing the sprite too hard.

i guess the problem is that people were making assumptions about what constitutes skin color

Pokemon_GSC_Olivine_Gym.png

Until I battled her and saw her trainer sprite, I thought Jasmine was a talking pig head asking for a secret potion for her friend, Ampharos.

Having never played the game, I thought this was a pig head too. it's still the first thing I see when I look at it. I actually have to force myself to see a person.

retroman

jbOrpF6RLo1CWci8W82l8rUjk4bMD0lp7gZ1ukWRUO25Rk5GC6mo3H0ZUmVhXwOgJt9YnT3ccFj8HY-UCkerNjU8QTc=s400

Always saw the original SMB's goomba's "stem" as a beak, and it was like a big bird head with feet. I of course know how it's supposed to look like from subsequent games, but I still need to make an effort to see the original sprite correctly. <_<

The creators of The Great Giana Sisters probably had the same idea.

giana.gif

Those Goomba rip-offs are supposed to be owls.
They're a bit different than your interpretation of the Goombas, but I wouldn't be surprised if that same interpretation ultimately triggered the design of the owls.

Look at the top left of the infamous box art:

1162726173-00.jpg

Here's what they look like in the DS sequel:

51SmSZrOSSL.jpg

Meet_shotguy.png

When I first saw this game I had no concept of what an FPS was. I saw the pistol as a helmet and the hand as a brown cape or leather jacket. Thought it was a TPS, without knowing the term. When I picked up the shotgun I was suprised that the character changed so much. Must be a backpack for ammo or something, I thought. Then I fired it, and there was the pump action motion. I was shocked and really had no idea of what was going on..

Whaaaaaaat?!

Definitely wasn't the only one who thought that the Ruby/Sapphire male trainer was wearing a headband and had white hair (for those who don't know, it's a hat).

It's always a fucking hat
YOU MAY NOT TAKE THE HAT OFF

Like seriously nintendo, why ? The hats are almost always ugly too.

Top Bottom