• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Spritz (speed-reading app) could change the visual novel/RPG game significantly

Speed reading makes no sense for reading fiction. You are supposed to play out events in your head, establishing how everyone talk and how everything works etc. Speed reading makes it just a chore, i dunno.

Yeah, I read to enjoy reading, this just makes me feel like a machine.

Syril

The problem I usually see in games is the non-instant text speed. With the size of most dialogue boxes there's usually never enough text to be overwhelming if it was all shown at once.

What if my reading comprehension relies on going back and rereading things?

Then I recommend you learn how to stop doing that, either by enrolling in a speed reading course, or by buying a book on speed reading (I read the Complete Idiot's Guide to Speed Reading and thought it was pretty solid). There really isn't any good reason not to simply understand something the first time you read it. Going back and rereading something you just read is a waste of time.

For people who don't think this is well suited for fiction, I'd recommend you try it before you knock it. The Chrome extension only pauses for commas and periods, lending no special credence to quotations, hyphens, and other common forms of punctuation in stories, so it has a lot of room for improvement, but I can see the potential.

Matriox

Ugh, 500 WPM is giving me an anxiety attack.. All in all I think this is a cool idea, but outside of reading articles I dont think I could do this for an extended period of time, atleast not anytime soon.

DirtyLarry

As an old timer who existed in this world prior to computers becoming a norm in households I cannot help but think what the hell has this world come to after seeing this, and I actually was able to keep up with the 500 wpm.

However I sincerely feel that the act of reading is truly one of the last "true" experiences out there. What I mean by true is it is as intimate as it gets. A person and their mind/imagination being inspired by words that are open to the person to interpret as they see fit. It is just the book and the reader. The reader enjoys the book however they want. No rules. No preconceived notions. Pure.

Sure, this may have a place for students who are forced to read nonsense they normally would not read otherwise to obtain a grade, but other than that I cannot help but think this was developed by someone who feels the need to speed everything up in life who cannot take a moment to "stop and smell the roses."

XaosWolf

I don't see this being that great in a game, but I am VERY interested in being able to get this on my phone ASAP.
The 600 WPM is awesome, but I already read quite quickly anyway.

For fiction though, I'd hope there'd be a setting for how long the pauses are for commas and periods. Otherwise it'd really break the flow of dialogue.

New002

Speed reading makes no sense for reading fiction. You are supposed to play out events in your head, establishing how everyone talk and how everything works etc. Speed reading makes it just a chore, i dunno.

Agreed, but I always saw it as being more of a tool for academia. Speed reading through text books/novels for courses as opposed to when you are just reading for fun.

KirbyKid

The Readline extension isn't quite as refined as Spritz proper, but it goes up to 1000 wpm.

And I agree on the use in games in general. I signed up as a developer. Hopefully I can whip up a neat demo with this.

Yeah, 1000 WPM is a bit too fast. But I can still handle it... kinda.

Keep me posted.

Tarsul

i tried a similar speed reading app. I geniunely like the idea behind this, I'd love to read faster and know it would be possible and that I'm holding myself back. However, there are times in which you miss the most important part of a message with these speed reading techniques and when this happens you don't have time to go back and that's very bad. Also, I'd estimate that speed reading is even worse for long term memorization than normal reading (best would be to make breaks for thinking about it at times). So, all in all it is interesting but far from perfect.

Some people here need to realize that it's not simply about reading faster. It changes the way text is formatted and presented to the reader.

GamerJM

Banned
Then I recommend you learn how to stop doing that, either by enrolling in a speed reading course, or by buying a book on speed reading (I read the Complete Idiot's Guide to Speed Reading and thought it was pretty solid). There really isn't any good reason not to simply understand something the first time you read it. Going back and rereading something you just read is a waste of time.

For people who don't think this is well suited for fiction, I'd recommend you try it before you knock it. The Chrome extension only pauses for commas and periods, lending no special credence to quotations, hyphens, and other common forms of punctuation in stories, so it has a lot of room for improvement, but I can see the potential.

That's fine and good advice if I had any interest in speed reading, but what I don't understand about this is that their goal is to get the entire world "Spritzing". There is obviously always going to be a good chunk of the world that's stuck in their not-speed reading ways, and I just find that to be an unrealistic goal. Especially when there are people like me who have hurdles to get over other than just the fact that this is an unconventional way to read.

i tried a similar speed reading app. I geniunely like the idea behind this, I'd love to read faster and know it would be possible and that I'm holding myself back. However, there are times in which you miss the most important part of a message with these speed reading techniques and when this happens you don't have time to go back and that's very bad. Also, I'd estimate that speed reading is even worse for long term memorization than normal reading (best would be to make breaks for thinking about it at times). So, all in all it is interesting but far from perfect.

Like I said earlier, the demo on the official site has buttons you can click if you need to pause, repeat the sentence, or start the paragraph over. It's not like once you blink you lose everything forever.

I gave the Readline extension a pretty solid shot. Got through half of A Study in Scarlet. I noticed a few things that I've already mentioned. It doesn't pause for any deviations in the text, so a lot of crucial punctuation is pretty much ignored. It doesn't have a special case for periods that follow abbreviations, so it pauses on "Dr." in "Dr. Watson" as if that is the end of a sentence. The optimal reading point is highlighted, but the letter isn't centered between the two lines. Also, the ORP letters are not aligned, so the words seem to shift left and right noticeably. Compare Readline

GlIuU7u.png

To Spritz

zOe56UY.png

I look forward to the release of the real stuff, but I fear that it'll be pretty heavily locked down due to the Samsung Galaxy S5 exclusivity deal.

Aeana

I actually do find this helpful, not because of the speed, but because it sidesteps some issues I have with reading due to dyslexia. I've tried a lot of things, including writing an ebook reader that prints out text letter-by-letter like in games, to varying degrees of success. Without any sort of aid, I usually end up having to re-read things quite a bit, and lose my place often.

Delstius

As much as this is interesting, I don't see how it's supposed to be applied to any video game efficiently and I rather read the "normal way".

On a general point of view :
For people who aren't used to read fast they may read faster, but that's about it (that's the point of the thing anyway).
But for anything lengthy, you will still have to check the backlog/real text on a regular basis as you're not a machine and can't keep up with the same speed in the long term (be it slow or fast). Even if you have no trouble to understand at 600 wpm, you're bound to lose attention sometimes and with this system, every second of attention count.
Surprisingly, it's perfectly understandable in a foreign language.
Good app for reading news, comments & boards if it doesn't bother you to change your way of reading.

On a gaming point of view :
Aside the constant backlog-check issue, focusing the eye on a single part of the screen too much isn't the best choice of game design, even for a visual novel.

Yeah, if I use the demo on the official site, I can go up to 600 wpm no problem. Readline is only decent up to 400 wpm, and it's probably because it uses an ORP of the center of the word, rather than 3-4 characters from the left.

I look forward to trying out the android ebook reader that does this, since it's supposed to take some of those subtle, yet significant aspects into account.

Edit: I also look forward to an app that can detect when I blink or look away.

GenericUser

Sure, I can read it, but it feels like this:

homer-donut-machine-simpsons.gif

good for texts I just need to read and understand fast, bad for everything that is more then this.

okayfrog

Banned
I was "Spritzing" on the FAQ on their site and I didn't recognize a word and because of that, my mind got stuck and missed the next few words. So I don't think I'd want this for a novel. With a visual novel, the animation changes every so often, so I wouldn't want this for that either. However, I can see this being good for online news articles. I was interested in reading that Spritz FAQ even though it's just a boring ol' FAQ.

Wow, this seems perfect. Thanks.

I feel sort of overwhelmed at 500wpm.

It's easier if you can disconnect your brain and tongue from reading the words out, but if you can do that (and also find a comfortable reading distance where you don't have to scan left and right) then you can speed read already.

ahoyhoy

Unconfirmed Member
Would be a great way to prevent me from accidentally reading the same line twice. Usually happens to me at least once a page, even when reading novels.

Ugh, I have no problems reading it but it kind of ruins my "inner voice" pace.

Yeah, this is the big deal killer for me. Not only for games, but for reading in general. When I read like that, it's very robotic and monotone in my head. Little or no character seems to come through at all.

This is a neat concept that they've managed to fully realize, but about the only thing it might be good for is text books or at least non-fiction books.

I actually create different voices in my head for different characters in RPGs (or emulate the VA if there is both spoken dialogue and plain text). Hard to do that here. Feels too cold and robotic.

I was "Spritzing" on the FAQ on their site and I didn't recognize a word and because of that, my mind got stuck and missed the next few words. So I don't think I'd want this for a novel. With a visual novel, the animation changes every so often, so I wouldn't want this for that either. However, I can see this being good for online news articles. I was interested in reading that Spritz FAQ even though it's just a boring ol' FAQ.

If you miss something, you can just click the "previous sentence" button until you're back where you were.

For animations in visual novels, they can work much like they do already. The animation plays, then you see the text accompanying it. It doesn't necessarily have to be on autopilot; even having it display the current sentence, then wait for me to press A before playing the next animation and sentence would be really, really nice. Even better would be if it could run through all the text associated with each animation.

This is awesome, but not for games.

I play tons of RPGs and they don't have that much text unless it's fucking Trials in the Sky, haha.

I wish the drop-down went a little bit higher. I was able to read the 600wpm one without too much trouble, so I'd like to try something a little faster.

This is really interesting though, because I don't really read books or anything, and when I do I read extremely slowly and my comprehension isn't very good. But the 600wpm test was pretty easy for me.

I wish the drop-down went a little bit higher. I was able to read the 600wpm one without too much trouble, so I'd like to try something a little faster.

This is really interesting though, because I don't really read books or anything, and when I do I read extremely slowly and my comprehension isn't very good. But the 600wpm test was pretty easy for me.

I know, right? I look forward to getting SDK access. Hopefully, I'll be able to throw together a realistic demo of how I think this tech can be used in games.

Hell, even in subtitles, it would be an awesome feature to have. It'd solve the problem of subs/closed-captioning ruining the timing of what's being said. They can just match it 1-1 to the audio.

gngf123

The chrome extension goes all the way up to 1000 WPM, if you wanted to try that.

whitehawk

Banned
Any idea of when they will be releasing this? I found a similar app on the android play store, but it's not as good. I'd love to be able to feed a .PDF file and read it this way.

mhayze

Amazing. As a 'traditional' high speed reader, I am blown away with how fast you can pick up the ability to read at up to 1000wpm, with better comprehension and much less fatigue than other methodologies of increasing reading speed.

Pretty much all students and business people read a lot, and not just 'for fun'. Even social media, news reading and 'Gaffing' (clearly a category unto itself) has a time budget in these busy times, so this is very cool just outside of gaming and entertainment if it simultaneously allows you to read faster and with better comprehension.

As an aside, ultra slow text speeds in traditional hand held video games (speech bubbles) drives. me. crazy. I feel like I am participating in a process designed for little children (which is the lowest common denominator), and immediately makes me question whether I should be playing the game. Of course, the ability to speed up text would be cool regardless of 'spritz' but this looks interesting.

popyea

This is cool, but not for when I want to enjoy what I'm reading. More useful for stuff I just want to get over and done with.

Khaz

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=797273 made me bump this.

I have to say its efficiency depends heavily on the language. It works in english where most words are two syllables or less, less much in French where many words have to be split by the software.

Also the blinking is detrimental. Because you are only shown one word at a time, you have no idea of the rest of the sentence. There is a lot of information gathered by the peripheral vision which helps with global comprehension. Being presented a single word makes rewinding a conscious action, whereas in fast reading you glance at a whole paragraph allowing to get back at a word you skipped or didn't process for some reason. Also with paragraphs you know where words are physically located so the information is very quickly retrieved, while with this method you need to use awkward slow rewind methods.

wrowa

I think this is great for news and other articles that you are consuming to inform yourself. However, for games it's not just about information, but about conveying a certain mood. You'd likely end up destroying this by reading so fast.

Top Bottom