• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square announces Seiken Densetsu (Mana series) remake for iOS/AND/Vita, ARPG, not-F2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMoon

Heh. If Square-Enix actually localized this I wonder what they would call it? It's almost guaranteed they'll stick to the 'of Mana' naming scheme, since even Japan uses that now for subtitles. 'Sword of Mana' just brings painful memories, though. Is "Quest of Mana" too generic?

Well, going by their recent choices ...probably Secret of Mana 2-(minus)1: The Before

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Eew, looks butt-ugly. Horribly low-budget mobile style graphics, in a series known for its absolutely gorgeous, vibrant 2D. Would have much preferred a port of the first mobile remake of this game over what we've got.

Wish we'd have gotten a direct port of SD3 at the very least, it's still crazy how that game never got an official English release.

Wingus

i love the look i am getting it. now only if they could remake ff legends 1,2,3

FF legends 2 and 3 (AKA SaGa 2 and 3) already got DS remakes. SaGa 2 remake is fantastic and pretty damn faithful to the GB original; no official English release, but there is an English translation patch.

nlzsl9X.jpg

FF legends 2 and 3 (AKA SaGa 2 and 3) already got DS remakes. SaGa 2 remake is fantastic and pretty damn faithful to the GB original; no official English release, but there is an English translation patch.

nlzsl9X.jpg

i knew ff legends 2 got a remake sadly it never got release state side

Escalario

Banned

nlzsl9X.jpg

SaGa 3 also got a great fantranslation some time ago. Both games are amazing remakes.

sörine

Banned
Eew, looks butt-ugly. Horribly low-budget mobile style graphics, in a series known for its absolutely gorgeous, vibrant 2D. Would have much preferred a port of the first mobile remake of this game over what we've got.

Wish we'd have gotten a direct port of SD3 at the very least, it's still crazy how that game never got an official English release.
I don't mind the ROM engine visuals for SD1 since it wasn't a looker anyway. It's definitely going to feel like a downgrade for SD2-3 though.

Agreed on getting an earlier port of SD3 too. It would've been great had the game gotten a similar treatment to Chrono Trigger DS.

This looks.... interesting.
I don't know what to think of it to be honest.

nlzsl9X.jpg

Salty to this day they couldn't be bothered to release this here.

Wingus

On the subject of FF Adventures, I'll take any remake that undoes the poor work done in Sword of Mana.

IIRC the A.I and A.I settings didn't even function properly...

Salty to this day they couldn't be bothered to release this here.

As a major SaGa fan, I agree. Imported it, enjoyed it and finished the game. I hope Square tries to resurrect western interest by localising the new Vita game.... not likely though.

Nairume

Banned
SaGa 1 also got a wonderswan and mobile phone remake.

kYho9DS.jpg

Mr. RPG

It looks like a pretty faithful remake to me so far, which is what's most important here. I think the art style and graphical quality is good enough. Honestly, what were you guys expecting?

That being said, I would have loved to see this game in stereoscopic 3D. This kind of art style would look really good in stereoscopic 3D.

They aren't going to release a Vita version overseas because Square-Enix, so we're stuck with the mobile versions.

After reading the replies in this thread, I can see barely anyone here played the original game. The game looks like a 1:1 remake to me. This is going to be nothing like Sword of Mana.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Damn are the chances of this getting localized that low?

DSix

Banned
Treating Mana with shoestring budget mobile games... Square forgot It was the prime series right next to Final Fantasy back in the day.

Damn shame. I'm expecting the worst.

Wingus

I'd be happy with the mobile version if it's the only version that stands a chance of being localised.

Already have and enjoy the Final Fantasies and Dragon Quests on iOS. Might as well add Mana to the list too.

EricB

(kids will be kids and they don't seem to like pop's pixels in their games, so give both what they want and things can move along)

I'll admit I am definitely getting old, but does anyone actually find this sort of artstyle attractive? Or is it just a matter of it being cheap as hell to produce. When I was a kid, I used to buy a game based off of one beautiful screenshot in a magazine. Now I have to twist my own arm to buy these ugly ass games hoping there is something worthwhile. It feels like we're going backwards.

I'll admit I am definitely getting old, but does anyone actually find this sort of artstyle attractive? Or is it just a matter of it being cheap as hell to produce. When I was a kid, I used to buy a game based off of one beautiful screenshot in a magazine. Now I have to twist my own arm to buy these ugly ass games hoping there is something worthwhile. It feels like we're going backwards.

Neither looks amazing and neither looks bad imo.

Sprite based game nowadays is just an extra cost you put in to attract older gamers. It takes more work, and it doesn't look that much better...

To me, I respect sprite-based more because I know how hard and how much skill it requires to make them, but I will never complain when devs/pubs choose to make a game 3D instead.

The one thing sprite-based games tend to do better than 3D is animations. Specially when you put both at the same budget-level, sprite animations tend to be much prettier than 3D. But that's about it, if you show me a screenshot of both, I wouldn't choose one over the other.

I also lost any and all nostalgia for sprite-based games after so many indies came and botched it, so maybe I don't see them like everyone else.

Holy shit seiken densestu was final fantasy adventure?!? That was my first game boy game,I ever owned. Amazing, I am so slow for not knowing that lol. Day one for sure.

-Oath

Its looks alright, Im interested but at the same time very dissapointed the chose to remake FFA flat out and not use Sword of Mana as a base. Idk, I thought Sword of Mana was great.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Holy shit seiken densestu was final fantasy adventure?!? That was my first game boy game,I ever owned. Amazing, I am so slow for not knowing that lol. Day one for sure.

Same here. Along with Link's Awakening it's part of the first games I ever owned so nostalgia is a strong factor here for me. Hope it does get a Vita version even if it is a long shot.

Yet strangely enough the only version of Secret of Mana I ever finished was the smartphone one.

atbigelow

Its looks alright, Im interested but at the same time very dissapointed the chose to remake FFA flat out and not use Sword of Mana as a base. Idk, I thought Sword of Mana was great.

I felt like they really put too much weird fluff into it. The cactus house and all kinds of weird shit.

Also the controls didn't feel great. Like there were delays with them or something.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
I felt like they really put too much weird fluff into it. The cactus house and all kinds of weird shit.

Also the controls didn't feel great. Like there were delays with them or something.

Was the most impractical mechanic ever. They locked away an entire subsystem of the game by tying it to a multiplayer thing 99.9% of players will never touch and even if you did you had to find dozens of people with the game to get the rewards.

Morfeo

The Chuck Norris of Peace
Glad to see they bring this series back, but the first game was kinda boring and not that great imo. Now what about giving us that Seiken Densetsu 3 you robbed us for 20 years ago?

From the interview posted on Dengeki Online.

Producer Oyamada said that if this Seiken Densetsu remake is received well, they want to remake Seiken Densetsu 3 with this game as the base. However, if there are enough requests, they might consider doing a full-blown big budget remake instead, one that matches current gen.

wtf no please don't

hongcha

Looks nice to me, I just hope it runs at a decent framerate on Vita. That F2P Mana game had a poor framerate, which made the game unplayable for me. CR3 was alright in this regard, though.

kubricks

Well, that went from "Fuck yeah DAY ONE" to "Not like this no thanks" pretty quick.

yeah, as much as I love the idea of a offical release of Seiken Densetsu 3, I know its going to look bland and disappointing
some gif for viewing

SD3 is glorious!

Looks nice to me, I just hope it runs at a decent framerate on Vita. That F2P Mana game had a poor framerate, which made the game unplayable for me. CR3 was alright in this regard, though.

One of the first few things that came to mind that this was also on Android/iOS.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
So, did everyone overlook this?

kAPekXN.png

At least we can guess that it will be localized for smartphones like DQ. Vita version would be highly preferable though.

Ehhhh it looks okay. I'm glad that Square hasn't completely forgotten about the Mana series and left it out to die but to see it relegated to smartphone fodder makes me depressed. It's interesting that they want to eventually make remakes of all of the games (would be super interested to see how they'd do SD3 and LOM remakes) but since they've already remade the first Seiken game twice already I am a lot less interested in this than I thought I'd be. How many times do we need to fight that big vampire bat? Four times, apparently... And honestly, Sword of Mana's only problem was that it was too easy! Otherwise it's a solid game. Wish more people had given it a chance and greatly prefer that watercolor pixel art style over these generic 3D models.

gfs_28959_2_31.jpg

ffamobile13.jpg

hqdefault.jpg

Still, if this gets localized into English I will certainly pick it up. Would be happy just to see a new Seiken game in English on any platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom