• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square announces Seiken Densetsu (Mana series) remake for iOS/AND/Vita, ARPG, not-F2P

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sophia

Confused by the OP. Final Fantasy Adventure (GB) and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES) are two different games.

The art style looks awful, but I will probably play it since I'm a fan of the older Seiken Densetsu games.

The game we call "Final Fantasy Adventure" in the US was called "Mystic Quest" in Europe.

The game we call "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" in the US was "Mystic Quest Legend" in Europe.

CamHostage

It's a little cheap-looking, but as long as the Vita game allows you to switch off the mobile touch play (and it sounds like it does, or at least it allows button play if not a full removal of the touch graphics?) then I'm happy to have this be the start of something on Vita. Square could have put its iOS ports on Vita for a long time now (Chrono Trigger and all those FF remakes would have been great additions to the platform,) I hope this helps put Vita in that same space of the workshop.

The screenshot shows it running at 20 fps on Vita.

Yeah, nice catch... not promising there either. These ports are probably on Unity (Square used it for its FF remakes, right?), I know relatively little 3D Vita games on Unity have shipped but does anybody know if Unity cleans up at all once you focus on a final output of a Vita version of a project?

The Dengeki interview is interesting. I've only had time to skim it a little, but the guy in charge says that they're remaking the first game in 3D to act as a foundation for more remakes in the series. Mainly so they can have all the older titles from SD1-3 on the same platforms in 3D sharing assets and whatnot, and it can pave the way for a SD5 possibly.

Well, it's not the way we'd want SD5 to come about, for sure. I'm sacriligeously OK with mobile being its future or at least a big part of Mana's path forward, but Square should show this series more love than just mobile games using shared assets. (Especially these shared assets...) But hopefully this does well and fortunes turn and they do whatever they can to give Secret of Mana something close to the remake it has richly deserved after all these years?

crinale

Hopefully switching between touch and physical controls on Vita also works for the UI, as in it changes from mobile to physical controls.

Is this a remake of Sword of Mana or the original FFA?

Original FFA. Sword of Mana reception in Japan was.. rather "mixed".

TheMoon

The game we call "Final Fantasy Adventure" in the US was called "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" in Europe.

The game we call "Final Fantasy Mystic Quest" in the US was "Mystic Quest Legend" in Europe.

It wasn't called Final Fantasy Mystic Quest in Europe. Just Mystic Quest.

21021_front.jpg

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
This is good news.

I will take the terrible 3D graphics over no new games in the series. Atleast they have bought it back from the dead.

Same. Also happy to get new renditions of the music and it looks they did bring back Chocobro so that's a plus.

Jucksalbe

Banned
The Dengeki interview is interesting. I've only had time to skim it a little, but the guy in charge says that they're remaking the first game in 3D to act as a foundation for more remakes in the series. Mainly so they can have all the older titles from SD1-3 on the same platforms in 3D sharing assets and whatnot, and it can pave the way for a SD5 possibly.

Hmmm...for SD1 this is kinda okay, it wasn't that much of a looker to begin with, but for SD2 and SD3 this will be severe visual downgrade.
Nevertheless, I love the games, so anything new is good, I guess.

duckroll

You said you just skimmed through it but that is pretty much everything the guy had to say, nice work.

Those were the interesting bits. There were more questions and details about Rise of Mana stuff and collaborations later in the interview. Didn't really want to keep reading so I dunno if there might be more stuff there!

sörine

Banned
Confused by the OP. Final Fantasy Adventure (GB) and Final Fantasy: Mystic Quest (SNES) are two different games.
Yes two different games but the titles are related and confusing by region. This remake is:

JP: Final Fantasy Gaiden: Seiken Densetsu
NA: Final Fantasy Adventure
EU: Mystic Quest

The SNES FF spinoff is:

JP: Final Fantasy USA
NA: Final Fantasy Mystic Quest
EU: Mystic Quest Legend

CamHostage

To go from the absolutely stunning pixel art of Seiken Densetsu 3 to this boring low-tier 3D will be a crying shame.

To be fair, there already is an authentic remake of Seiken Densetsu 2/Secret of Mana on mobile (though not Seiken Densetsu 3, oddly.) I'm kind of OK with whatever-the-hell-they-do-to-it remakes if the original is out there somehow (kids will be kids and they don't seem to like pop's pixels in their games, so give both what they want and things can move along) though obviously I'd prefer greater platform choices than mobile.

ash_ag

Terribly bland "mobile-like" art-style.
At least it should be compatible with Vita TV.

Seeing the phone interface on Vita wouldn't make me so optimistic. To be fair, it's not usual for Square Enix mobile games to be promoted with physical controls (as shown on the Dengeki article), so there's at least that. I guess we'll see.

Lots of stuff on the Vita. As dead as ever. :p

Sure. Price seems right, and I don't mind the low poly look at all.

The Seiken Densetsu series has gone through some rough times, so if these are at least fun, I'll consider this a victory.

This looks pretty cool. The 3D models look a bit dopey but if the gameplay is spot on with the original I'll buy it.

I tried playing the original recently and while I remember loving it I think it could use some modern touches in terms of combat + balance.

At this point, the Mana series should be good and dead considering how long it's been since we got a good game.

Plus, I'm down with more lower budget attempts at stuff like this.

Yeah, nice catch... not promising there either. These ports are probably on Unity (Square used it for its FF remakes, right?), I know relatively little 3D Vita games on Unity have shipped but does anybody know if Unity cleans up at all once you focus on a final output of a Vita version of a project?

As someone who is making a Vita game with Unity, you pretty much just have to optimize the game in general and then the Vita version will also run better. It's easy to forget since I imagine most of us here find playing on the Vita superior to playing on mobile, but mobile phones have outclassed the Vita in raw power & RAM for a while now. Given that Square-Enix has a habit of taking mobile games and doing straight ports with minimal changes to other platforms, chances are the game runs decently on modern mobile phones and less than decently on the less powerful Vita.

I am not ever going to support Square's lame ass handheld RPG model again. Fuck that. Fuck that art style. Fuck those shitty visuals. Fuck all that chibi bullshit. I can't get over how shitty Square's handheld-oriented art styles ALWAYS look these days, now that everyone knows that you can just phone it in with safe, focus tested, dumb dumb graphics on IOS and Android. It's like some C-team shit, but it's not like Square cares.

Goli

The interview also mentions that while they're remaking the original GB title, depending on the users' response they may add the elements from Sword of Mana into this remake in a future update.

entremet

I am not ever going to support Square's lame ass handheld RPG model again. Fuck that. Fuck that art style. Fuck those shitty visuals. Fuck all that chibi bullshit. It couldn't be more apparent that Square doesn't actually give even a little fuck about the fans of these series.

The original was Chibi as well lol.

I'm not getting that complaint.

carlos

almost nothhing ;)

still, that's one thing. FFA straight up just plays better. realest graphics ever won't mean shit

Yeah, I agree, I'm just messing with you.

Not overly enthusiastic about this announcement, but if it leads to sd2 and 3 being remade, I wouldn't mind.

jgwhiteus

FFA on the Gameboy is one of my favorites (and one of my first ever Gameboy games) but I wasn't impressed by Sword of Mana, and I'm not really excited by what's being shown here. As others have mentioned, the art-style is kind of bland.

Also, I don't think any of the remakes ever do justice to the game's soundtrack - sure, it didn't really shine on the Gameboy, but the orchestrated version that Kenji Ito released was pretty great. Wish they'd do something similar for a remake:

Determination (Opening Theme)

Parting

Decisive Battle

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Mainly so they can have all the older titles from SD1-3 on the same platforms in 3D sharing assets and whatnot, and it can pave the way for a SD5 possibly.
Whaaaaaaat?! So this could potentially translate in a Seiken Densetsu 3 remake? Now that's how you get me to buy your games Square.

The original was Chibi as well lol.

I'm not getting that complaint.

Just can't stand it. And it's not like there's nothing preventing Square from taking a few liberties here and there considering the limitations of gameboy tech that forced big headed art styles aren't there anymore. And yet, 9 times out of 10, their 3D handheld games are some chibi bullshit, and to me, it just looks horrible.

Datschge

Going by the screenshots/short videos so far it looks like they use the map layouts from the original game verbatim, simply replacing the pixel art with 3D assets.

If they also keep the mechanics and actually improve the music (versus just using samples instead synth with no actual arrangement) I might prefer this "remake" to what was done in Sword of Mana.

CorvoSol

Elated to see they ditched Sword's hideous character designs and opted instead for the old Final Fantasy style.

Pray this means I never have to hear about "Mavoles" again. Even if I do lose some of the rad connections to SD3.

entremet

Just can't stand it. And it's not like there's nothing preventing Square from taking a few liberties here and there considering the limitations of gameboy tech that forced big headed art styles aren't there anymore. And yet, 9 times out of 10, their 3D handheld games are some chibi bullshit, and to me, it just looks horrible.

It won't change. That's part of the charm.

I'd hate for them to look like FF8 characters.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom