• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Square Enix and Popcap Games present Gyromancer (XBLA/PC) The Official Thread

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
The Header:
gm.jpg

What is Gyromancer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gyromancer

Gyromancer is an upcoming puzzle and role-playing video game developed by PopCap Games, in collaboration with Square Enix and published by Square Enix.[1] It will combine the tile-sliding gameplay of PopCap Games' Bejeweled Twist with the role-playing elements and artwork of Square-Enix's games. It has been compared to Infinite Interactive's Puzzle Quest: Challenge of the Warlords.

Release Date and Price:

http://news.bigdownload.com/2009/11/06/gyromancer-release-date-revealed/

Last September during the Tokyo Game Show, publisher Square Enix announced a collaboration with casual game developer PopCap Games with their upcoming puzzle-RPG Gyromancer. Today it was revealed via a new trailer that the downloadable game would be released for the PC on November 18 for $15.

The game itself has that Square Enix art style for the RPG portion of the game mixed with a Bejeweled Twist puzzle gameplay experience. You can expect to have access to over 50 monsters that can be used in your puzzle-RPG battles across 12 different stages. An online leaderboard will also be made available to compare your scores with others.

Development Interview:

http://www.siliconera.com/2009/11/12/gyromancer-development-started-over-casual-drinks/

Gyromancer Development Started Over Casual Drinks

Gyromancer is different from the usual Square Enix game. Partially, because their puzzle game is based off an existing game, Bejeweled Twist from PopCap. We asked Yuichi Murasawa, Director, and Yoshinori Kamei, Producer, how the project got started and what they think about the comparisons to Puzzle Quest.

How did the PopCap Games / Square Enix partnership come about?

I believe it was around two years ago, PopCap’s Jason Kapalka (Gyromancer, Puzzle Advisor) visited our office while he was in Japan attending TGS. It’s not that we suddenly decided to collaborate at that point — it was simply a great opportunity to exchange ideas about the processes behind developing puzzle-game mechanisms. The conversation was very insightful, especially as my primary expertise was in developing RPGs and simulation games.

We got excited talking about creating a brand-new title by bringing together PopCap’s knowledge of puzzle-game development with Square Enix’s game designs. Puzzle Quest had just launched at that time, and our development staff, as well as Jason, were all creatively inspired in the midst of enjoying the game.

I had worked on several large-scale, high-profile titles in the past, which were received well in both North America and Europe, but felt that with our efforts combined we could create a more casual experience that could be enjoyed by a wider range of players. So that’s how it all started, as we exchanged ideas like these over some drinks.

Why was Bejeweled Twist picked as the base for Gyromancer? Were there other PopCap titles you were considering as the core?

We had confirmed that some sort of puzzle system would be utilized as the base, but it took a while to decide which one exactly to go with. The intention for this game had always been to have a single-player focus, so instead of going for a versus-styled interface, we wanted something that would make the enemy-ally positioning very clear. With this mindset, PopCap games like Zuma and Peggle were actually brought up as candidates. Ultimately, however, we felt that with this type of interface the sense of “combat” between two opposing sides would be lost, and decided to go instead in the direction of Bejeweled or Chuzzle, which would allow for a versus-styled interface.

Although the Bejeweled system, part of games like Puzzle Quest, is extremely easy to grasp from the player’s perspective, because our goal was to eliminate “turns” between enemies and allies the main challenge for us was figuring out how to customize this existing system to suit our vision. It was then that Jason showed us Bejeweled Twist, a new type of system based on Bejeweled. With this new system, we realized that we could create a system that eliminates turns, making our vision of the “Reaction Battle” possible! This is why we decided to go with Bejeweled Twist as the base system for Gyromancer.

How is the system in Gyromancer different from Bejeweled Twist?

In contrast to the single-player experience of Bejeweled Twist, the objective in Gyromancer is to defeat enemy monsters. Even though the battle systems look very similar at first glance, because of this essential difference, the methods involved in Gyromancer depart from those of Bejeweled Twist. We call the key characteristic of Gyromancer’s battle system the “Reaction Battle”.

In Gyromancer, you use the “twist” to attack enemies and cause damage, but the player’s twist actually invites attacks from the enemy side as well. The basis of the “Reaction Battle” is to consider attack possibilities for both sides and really put your thought into what the most effective move is. There are some enemies you can defeat simply by twisting at the right timing, but there are other stronger enemies that require much consideration for each and every move. This gives a very simulation-esque feel to the Gyromancer battles.

Of course, another big difference from Bejeweled Twist is that in addition to all of the above, the battles are presented in stages. In Gyromancer, players won’t necessarily journey freely across a broad world, but will go through the game in short stages, clearing them objective by objective. In order to proceed in the story you clear these stages, and by clearing the stages, new stages appear so that the adventure can be continued. There are also new discoveries that can be made by going back to stages that have already been cleared.

Can you tell us about the story?

The story begins when the main character, Rivel, along with Laska the ranger, are ordered by the king to find the rebellion group Temperance in the Aldemona Woods. Rivel and Laska close in on their target, but with the emergence of the Lord of the Wood, its’ Heir, and the hidden leader of Temperance, the story begins to encompass the entire forest.

Gyromancer’s story was created by Kyoko Kitahara of Final Fantasy Tactics Advance series fame, accompanied by a beautiful original track composed by Tsuyoshi Sekito. Gyromancer’s story is just as enjoyable as its puzzle battles.

The art is quite different from the standard Square Enix title. What inspired its design?

We asked the Art Director, Yuki Matsuzawa to base the visuals off of the following three key terms; “Mature”, “Movie”, and “Weight you can feel through the screen”. We had set the story content to be a dark fantasy, so rather than doing the cute characters Square Enix is commonly associated with, we wanted to create realistic visuals which will appeal to mature audiences, while keeping true to the game’s fantastical nature.

There seems to be a lot of opinions towards Japanese game characters overseas, so we made it our goal to overcome these criticisms. We want gamers from all over the world to find this title visually appealing, so based upon many discussions with the team and researching movie characters, we resulted in having a more realistic character concept. Even in the finer details, we were careful to not make it overly fantasy based. The coloring, as well as the UI design, has a focus on creating a “heavier” look in comparison to the traditional Final Fantasy series, and we feel we were able to create a rich look even in 2D.

What do you think of the Puzzle Quest comparisons?

Puzzle Quest is a very fun game that our development team got addicted to. I think it’s a wonderful game that has a proven track record across the globe. There are definite inspirations drawn from Puzzle Quest in the making of Gyromancer, but in a way, it became a sort of prototype to base the new concept for Gyromancer around for added entertainment value. I assume we will be compared, but once you play it, you’ll see a clear difference in the overall game concept. But rather than me explaining it, enjoy the demo, and see for yourself!

Are there plans for future collaborations? Maybe Plants vs. Zombies vs. Dragon Quest?

If the reactions from the fans towards Gyromancer are good, then we would love to consider another future collaboration. There are no specific ideas in this point in time, but it would be ideal if we can echo the feedback from the fans and create something to satisfy their needs.

Video:

Gametrailers
http://www.gametrailers.com/game/gyromancer/12103

Youtube
http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Gyromancer+Video&search_type=&aq=f

Screenshots:

gyromancer-20090924030549880.jpg

gyromancer-20090924030548037.jpg

gyromancer-20090924030552599.jpg

gyromancer-20090924030555568.jpg

Previews:

IGN PC
http://pc.ign.com/articles/102/1028174p1.html

The Magic Box
http://the-magicbox.com/0911/game091111b.shtml

RPG Land
http://www.n4g.com/events_tgs2009/News-401075.aspx

Achievements:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/gyromancer/achievements/

There are 12 achievements with a total of 200 points.

The Adept 20
Execute a Gyro Chain.

The Enlightened 40
Hunt down Temperance.

The Scryer 10
Arrive at one truth in Tracks of Night.

The Knowing 10
Pass the tests of the Stones.

Bearer of 3 Awards 10
Acquire 3 awards.

Bearer of 7 Awards 10
Acquire 7 awards.

Bearer of 15 Awards 10
Acquire 15 awards.

Bearer of 30 Awards 20
Acquire 30 awards.

Bearer of 50 Awards 20
Acquire 50 awards.

Bearer of 75 Awards 20
Acquire 75 awards.

Bearer of 100 Awards 20
Acquire 100 awards.

Bearer of 120 Awards 10
Acquire 120 awards.

Reviews: Pending

Haunted

After the Galactrix fiasco, it looks like we might finally get a worthy follow-up to Puzzle Quest.

The art shits all over Infinite Interactive's, in any case.

alistairw

Just so you know, I have the best avatars ever.
Hopefully the difficulty curve is a little nicer than Puzzle Quest's. Great game and all, but there's still a lot of room for improvement there.

Rlan

Just based on the maps (and price) it seems to be a shorter experience than Puzzle Quest was, but then that might actually be for the best. Took me 3 months of bus trips to beat Puzzle Quest DS.

Noogy

Yeah, I like that too. I played Puzzle Quest on and off over the period of a year, and still haven't finished it.

GWX

Looks awesome! Also, I think Bejeweled Twist is the best PopCap puzzle game and the 3rd best overall (behind Peggle/Peggle Nights and Plants vs. Zombies).

Will buy!

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
Fewr said:
Anyone knows how many languages will be available?
Any plans for an iphone port?

Currently unknown and no plans for the iPhone at least right now but don't rule it out in the future.

Anso

Anyone else getting Unlimited SaGa vibes from the map? Creeps me out.

Other than that, this has been my top hyped game for quite a while. Can't wait to get my greasy hands on it.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Haunted said:
After the Galactrix fiasco, it looks like we might finally get a worthy follow-up to Puzzle Quest.

The art shits all over Infinite Interactive's, in any case.

Yeah, but there is no PS3 version. :(

BOO POPCAP AND SQUARE! BOO!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
CcrooK said:
Hrm. So achievements over a map. Or visa verse. Hrmmm.
I dunno what "awards" is but perhaps the game has its own built-in achievements, and the achievements almost all seem to be just to get a certain number of those.

Rlan said:
Just based on the maps (and price) it seems to be a shorter experience than Puzzle Quest was, but then that might actually be for the best. Took me 3 months of bus trips to beat Puzzle Quest DS.

Not in my opinion. I beat PQ and the expansion on XBLA and I wanted more. I could not get enough of that game. Then I played Galactrix and wasn't satisfied.

BTW, I like the look of PQ. The art was great, imo.

Spwn

This looks like the game Puzzle Quest should've been. The battles in Puzzle Quest felt like the AI cheated all the time and I couldn't stand the music, the corny dialogue and the cliché story. I hope this game is better in those parts.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
AstroLad said:
I dunno what "awards" is but perhaps the game has its own built-in achievements, and the achievements almost all seem to be just to get a certain number of those.

Wouldn't it make slightly more sense to just have the 360 achievements mirror the in-game ones?

Spwn said:
This looks like the game Puzzle Quest should've been. The battles in Puzzle Quest felt like the AI cheated all the time and I couldn't stand the music, the corny dialogue and the cliché story. I hope this game is better in those parts.

There's a pretty good chance the game will top Puzzle Quest in terms of the peripheral production values. No idea if it'll end up being as addictive, but it already looks far better.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
Wario64 said:
Is Square Enix and Popcap Games really presenting this thread to us?
Half the marketing budget was spent on creating this thread we could have made ourselves. (It's the only way to be sure)

thetrin

I love Puzzle Quest but the music and art is god awful. Gyromancer looks like it'll rectify both.

thetrin

Any word on WHEN Gyromancer will hit tomorrow? Midnight? Middle of the day?

http://xboxlive.ign.com/articles/104/1046583p1.html

Closing Comments
Gyromancer is a Puzzle Quest clone, but that doesn't keep it from being fun and addictive. There is plenty of gameplay here to keep you busy for a while, leveling up your monsters and increasing your stable. It brings its own ideas to the table and wraps the package in very attractive fantasy art. Gamers looking for fast-paced excitement and thrills might find themselves nodding off, but there is quite a bit of depth to be explored if puzzlers and dungeon crawling is your thing. Those of you who still have love for Puzzle Quest: take Gyromancer for a spin.

IGN Ratings for Gyromancer (X360)
Rating Description
out of 10 click here for ratings guide
8.0 Presentation
Take Puzzle Quest, add a little bit of Pokemon, set it in the Final Fantasy universe, and voila! You get Gyromancer.
8.0 Graphics
Very nice fantasy art, but the monster portraits are recycled too often.
7.5 Sound
Rousing orchestral tunes, interrupted now and then by that cheesy Japanese videogame metal during boss battles.
8.5 Gameplay
Square Enix knows dungeon diving. PopCap knows Bejewelled. Put their expertise together and you get another addictive puzzle/RPG hybrid.
8.0 Lasting Appeal
The quest is lengthy and offers plenty to do, even outside of the main story. No multiplayer, though.
Impressive OVERALL
(out of 10 / not an average)

thetrin

Danj said:
Still no sign of it on Steam, maybe they're working to some American timezone?

Well, that would be the assumption.

thetrin

There is a panel under Game Marketplace on the Xbox dashboard that says Gyromancer is up, but it's a bad link.

They must be in the process of putting it up.

thetrin

BobFromPikeCreek said:
Oh wow. No multiplayer? That's a major bummer. :/

I'm conflicted now.

I can see why you'd be bummed, but I played Puzzle Quest in MP all of once, so I don't think it's going to be a huge loss.

EDIT: The "Available now!" panel is gone from the Game Marketplace tab. :lol

Damn you, MS!

thetrin

Well, I'm going to head to bed, and no doubt Gyromancer will be up when I wake up.

GDJustin

stuck my tongue deep inside Atlus' cookies
I'm on a tight budget this fall, and Gyromancer is one of only THREE games I'm able to buy (Uncharted 2 and MW2 were the others). That's how pumped about this I am.

Assassin's Creed II? New Super Mario Bros. Wii? DO WANT. But they'll have to wait till 2010. Bu Gyromancer will be mine DAY ONE.

I <3<3<3 that Puzzle Quest has created this new sub-genre. Can't get enough of these Puzzle RPGs.

I...I...I need this

Seriously, I have been saving my urge to get into a new puzzle game and this one needs to come out asap. Man, I am going to take a walk, and hopefully by the time I get back it will be on steam.

Shard

XBLAnnoyance
It should be about fifteen minutes from now that the game is up on the XBLA, Steam I am expecting something like midday.

Top Bottom